whats 'wrong' with too much cardio?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Cardio will help you lose weight because it increases your daily caloric deficit. However, strength training is great for muscle building. I realize that muscle weighs more than fat, but are you more concerned about what you weigh or how you look? If you're more concerned with how you look, then you want to build muscle. Also, muscle requires more calories for sustainment. So just by building more muscle you are instantly increasing your metabolism and thereby burning more fat.

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

What? If she's eating at a deficit she's not going to "build" substantial muscle past her noob gains. She will maintain muscle mass and increase strength.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI...muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle and one pound of fat both are one pound. :smile:

One pound of feathers and one pound of lead are also both one pound. So lead and feathers weigh the same, too!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ...using your existing fat and convert it to muscle, i like that too, eating protein supplements is a bit of a no no for me. as i want tight lean muscle with good definition and minor bulk, not watery mass that deflats after a few weeks away from the gym...
    Your plan is to not eat protein and convert your fat into muscle. Are you a Wizard or a Warlock?

neither of those, just take note that i dont want to eat PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS such as musacha, creatin etc etc, i want to build muscle with the protein in my diet, and not be reliant on other sources, mainly due to cost, as well as the ability to sustain the build im earning naturally over a long period of time.

im not in a rush to build bulk, nor to achieve huge bulk results, and from what i can tell, without all those supplements im not likely to look like a wrestler anytime soon :D

The supplements have nothing to do with it. If you're not eating well into a surplus, you'll never look like a wrestler/the hulk/etc.. because it's impossible to "bulk" when not eating at a surplus.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    So here is a rather dumb question...so please excuse it..When you all say heavy lifting what is considered heavy? I am guessing when you start (as I would like to do) you don't get crazy and lift something ridiculous. Also how do you know what kind of lifting to start with? The trainers at my gym won't answer any questions or show you unless you work with them..and my bank account says that ain't happening...I have been doing the tread, elliptical and now doing hip hop abs. At the end of the 4 weeks of hip hop abs (two to go) I would be interested in getting to learn how to lift...any suggestions how to start?
  • chub89
    chub89 Posts: 4
    Options
    There is no need to make things complicated. If u want to lose weight, u go on a deficit. If u want to gain weight u go on a surplus. If u want to lose weight and retain as much muscle as possible while on a deficit, u lift heavy while on that deficit. More cardio will put u at a higher deficit of course but it wont retain as much muscle as heavy lifting.
  • chub89
    chub89 Posts: 4
    Options
    So here is a rather dumb question...so please excuse it..When you all say heavy lifting what is considered heavy? I am guessing when you start (as I would like to do) you don't get crazy and lift something ridiculous. Also how do you know what kind of lifting to start with? The trainers at my gym won't answer any questions or show you unless you work with them..and my bank account says that ain't happening...I have been doing the tread, elliptical and now doing hip hop abs. At the end of the 4 weeks of hip hop abs (two to go) I would be interested in getting to learn how to lift...any suggestions how to start?

I suggest u read the FAQs at reddit.com/r/fitness. It'll help in numerous ways about your lifting questions. I suggest starting a program called Stronglift or Starting Strength. Both are reputable beginner programs.
  • rickydemarino93
    Options
    There are a lot of good answers here and everyone is different but be aware that doing excessive cardio will cause your body to slow its fat burning metabolism in order to burn energy over a longer period of time to help you run those extra miles. A healthier way to achieve your goals would be to do workouts that hit a wide range of muscles like squats, bench press, and pull ups, which will help you to burn fat while retaining more muscle AND keeping your cardiovascular system going on a caloric deficit. Also, it might save your joints from those treadmills...