Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

I got curious what a higher daily calorie diary looked like ~ yours was open so I looked. Honestly I felt hungry reading it, despite being about 1000 more daily calories than me. Mine is usually around 1200 and if you take a look at my (open) diary I trust you'll see I am NOT starving. I am "eating normal" (for me) too. I believe I eat well-rounded and (mostly) healthy.

I read another open diary from another poster in this thread who explained they disagree with 1200/day ~ again it was not a food menu that I would personally find satisfying (nor particularly healthy IMO).

just looked too. i see froot loops, some healthy choice crappy frozen dinner, mcdonalds and bud light. i feel sick just reading that. mcdonalds is so disgusting. haven't eaten there in years and have desire to. there is nothing healthy about that diet. hilarious that someone like that is giving me advice.

I gotta agree. Besides being crappy, those frozen dinners are sky high sodium and leave me, well, frankly they leave me HUNGRY. Which I thought the point was that those of us eating 1200 must be HUNGRY. I'd say even at my 1000 less daily calories I believe my menu is more filling (and healthier). I totally enjoyed my pork chop, vegetarian chili, fresh veggies, cole slaw, & big salad dinner ~ it was very satisfying.
  • Wuffles70
    Wuffles70 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to the people who pointed out the dangers of a 1200 diet. I know it's not what OP was looking for but it was a wake up call for me - the whole reason I'm on a diet in the first place is because I'm recovering from health problems and, alongside gradually building up my activity level again in the hopes of gaining some muscle, I wanted to limit pressure on my heart by loosing some fat. This could have really messed with my recovery and I'm so, so glad I found out now rather than later!

I have one question though: now I've been on 1200 for a fortnight, is it better to go straight to 1700 where it should be or spend a week eating 1500 first to stagger things out? I don't know which would put less pressure on my body...

Once again, many thanks - I really feel like I've dodged a bullet! :)
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Big skinny fat fail thread. Leaves, shaking head and vows to never read another 1200 'success' thread again. The words do not compute. Mind boggles at people who cannot grasp weight loss doesn't have to be this way....le sigh....

This
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

I got curious what a higher daily calorie diary looked like ~ yours was open so I looked. Honestly I felt hungry reading it, despite being about 1000 more daily calories than me. Mine is usually around 1200 and if you take a look at my (open) diary I trust you'll see I am NOT starving. I am "eating normal" (for me) too. I believe I eat well-rounded and (mostly) healthy.

I read another open diary from another poster in this thread who explained they disagree with 1200/day ~ again it was not a food menu that I would personally find satisfying (nor particularly healthy IMO).

just looked too. i see froot loops, some healthy choice crappy frozen dinner, mcdonalds and bud light. i feel sick just reading that. mcdonalds is so disgusting. haven't eaten there in years and have desire to. there is nothing healthy about that diet. hilarious that someone like that is giving me advice.

Considering the OP of these has had amazing success with how she's eating, I think she probably knows what she is doing. She offered her opinion and didn't insult anyone in the process. Also, she wasn't giving you this advice, it was directed to the OP, not everything is about you, sweetie :flowerforyou:

Her entire point about not eating enough before is useless if she was eating 1200 calories or 1400 calories and half of it was beer and the rest mcdonalds and frozen dinners. Of COURSE she was starving on a diet like that. When I eat 1200 calories, I'm not drinking all that alcohol or eating that crap.
  • sarahz1442
    Options
    Big skinny fat fail thread. Leaves, shaking head and vows to never read another 1200 'success' thread again. The words do not compute. Mind boggles at people who cannot grasp weight loss doesn't have to be this way....le sigh....

This

I'm happy with my 109 pound body tyvm.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    blablabla.gif
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Considering the OP of these has had amazing success with how she's eating, I think she probably knows what she is doing. She offered her opinion and didn't insult anyone in the process. Also, she wasn't giving you this advice, it was directed to the OP, not everything is about you, sweetie :flowerforyou:

Her entire point about not eating enough before is useless if she was eating 1200 calories or 1400 calories and half of it was beer and the rest mcdonalds and frozen dinners. Of COURSE she was starving on a diet like that. When I eat 1200 calories, I'm not drinking all that alcohol or eating that crap.

I'd be starving for nutrients eating all that crap too..
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bump...

...for more self-righteous indignation.

My diary is open too...feel free to provide your analyses of it next.
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump...

holy crap... 2000+ calories of mcdonalds sweet tea, jimmy johns, aaaand chipotle every now and then?! how could you ever consider yourself healthy or properly nourished

(would be much more enjoyable if i could more easily portray a tone of sarcasm. looks about like mine so cheers!)
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's not natural for you body to lose weight...its not meant too...so with every person it's going to be a different experience...i've lost weight every single time after each one of my 4 babies by reducing my calories to 1200 with diet and excersise. If I felt hungry I would eat something regardless of the calories being over with protein snacks and lots of water. I always ate more on workout days!!! If i didn't I was evil lol!! Even when dieting you need to listen to your body...if your hungry ....eat.....just eat something that's a rich protein snack like piece of lean turkey, chicken, fish, lowfat cheeses, nuts.... that equal 100 to 200 calories and then tons of water!!!!..dont wait too long to eat cuz you will become ravenous and eat too much....eat often like every 3 to 4 hours with high protein....lots and lots of veggies...some healthy fats and you will do well. When you reach your goal...you DO NOT just up your calories right away...this is something that you do over about 6 weeks.....i started by added about 300 calories for 2 weeks and then the next 2 weeks i added another 300 calories and I add in some more food groups like a serving of fruit and whole grains....and then the next two weeks i added more calories again and allowed my body to slowly up my metabolism to bring it back up to a high burning level for my healthy calorie intake to maintain...this will be played around with of course depending on your activity level and stuff so if you notice your self still losing you need more calories to maintain or if you start to gain eat a little less....or workout more so you can eat more!!! That's what i prefer!! It's all in discovering your bodys needs and it's awesome!! I eat super clean with lots of veggies! I eat good 80% of the time and allow myself 20% of whatever I want and it works for me.
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1200 calories worked great for me. Exactly as MFP calculated my results would be. I worked out 4-5 days a week and ate back the calories when I was hungry and 1200 when I wasn't. Wasn't a big deal. I ate fruits and vegetables with every meal and took a calcium chew, fish oil and multi vitamin everyday.

Easy Peasy
  • sarahz1442
    Options
    Bump...

not self-righteous. i'm criticizing the diaries of people who are telling me that i did it wrong merely for the fact that i ate 1200 calories while dieting. they are the ones being self-righteous, not me.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I like it when people assume that you are specifically talking to/about them...it makes me giggle inside.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump for later... :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I like it when people assume that you are specifically talking to/about them...it makes me giggle inside.

In my experience here, that consistently happens to the same people too.

Personally, it would make me dizzy...

...from the world always revolving around me.

holy crap... 2000+ calories of mcdonalds sweet tea, jimmy johns, aaaand chipotle every now and then?! how could you ever consider yourself healthy or properly nourished

(would be much more enjoyable if i could more easily portray a tone of sarcasm. looks about like mine so cheers!)

Let's be fair here...my Chipotle has been *slightly* more frequent than "every now and then"...

(Admittedly, this little exercise would have been far more interesting during 2012 when I was a mostly-strict adherent to a "clean" diet...or perhaps it is more illustrative as it is now.)
  • sarahz1442
    Options

They are talking about people who eat 1,200 calorie diets. I am one of those people.
  • sunneh1
    sunneh1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 23 about 5'7 and went from 336 to 274 in a couple months of getting rid of the soda and cooking all my meals. I literally just joined MFP and now that I realize what I am eating, 1200 ish calories feels fine for me. Is it still so unhealthy eventhough I am so big and trying to lose? I am going to up it once I join the gym I'm looking into but for now doing basically nothing, I'm never hungry. Should I still up it a little? Just looking for advice, not looking to be yelled at. thanks =/
  • redhearted
    redhearted Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm 54. I've spent about 40 years dieting with a 1200 cal limit. Basically, for my entire life I have been over-weight while dieting to 1200 calories per day. This is insanity, yet I've been doing it my whole life. Wait! Until I started eating a Ketogenic Diet (also known as Paleo or Lifeprint or Caveman). For the first time in my life, I feel GOOD. I eat quite a bit of fat. Hard to wrap my head around that initially, but it has become easier. I have no cravings, no "got to have a candy bar now" feeling, and am emotionally stable. I never realized that I was starving myself every day of my life, while still being overweight. Within a week of changing my glucose burn to fat burn, I lost 11 pounds. Every day I lose 1lb without feeling hungry or deranged. This is the truth. I am so grateful to be off the high protein, low carb, and low fat diet-go-round. I feel so good and I will never go back to the "traditional" way of dieting. And, for the first time in my life I feel certain I will reach my goal and maintain it. I do not miss carbs at all. Oh and I don't exercise either. I plan to, but I am recovering from cancer treatment and I haven't been able to. Imagine, I lose 1lb a day without exercising. I have 60 lbs to do. I will get there, no doubt. If you want to learn more about Ketogenic Dieting, start at this basic site: www.http://markmaunder.com/2012/07/22/the-basic-ketogenic-diet/#comment-29204
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

They are talking about people who eat 1,200 calorie diets. I am one of those people.

Check and mate.
  • kikilareggae
    kikilareggae Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    1200 was the way to go, for me! Once I was faithful and started eating clean calories I was losing weight like crazy- at least a pound a week most of the time- and I've kept it off for a year, too. I lost 20 lbs from Feb 2012 when I started to May 2012. I didn't feel starved at all! The beginning is the hardest part, where you are retraining your mind/body/eating habits to healthier choices and a lot less, if not zero, of the junk food I ate before. Once I started eating a lot healthier, fruits/vegetables/whole wheat/chicken/fish/energy bars, sometimes I wouldn't be hungry at the end of the day and have at least a couple hundred cals left (this was always including my exercise calories, I always eat most of them back).
    Good luck and do what you feel is right for your body! And keep in mind, your body is a lot stronger/capable of all these changes than you think.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!