Jodi Arias?

Options

Replies

• jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Let her suffer the remainder of her life behind bars..........life without parole.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    u MURDER, and then u get to live the rest of your natural life (behind bars, granted) with room and board provided?
    nope. taxpayer money should NOT be spent on that. can't be released back into society, shouldn't be supported by society. gotta go.

Not sure where you live (in the US or elsewhere) but in the US it costs WAY more money to house a death row inmate and pay for all the automatic appeals they are entitled to than it does to just put them away for life without parole. So if you are talking strictly about what's best financially, life without possibility of parole is far cheaper. And I am not making this statement without back up research. I did my senior project for my BS in Criminal Justice on the death penalty (presented both pro and con positions) and have done tons of research on the financial side of it.

When listening to prisoners speak, I have often heard them say that they would prefer the death penalty. They said that the prison is much better and they are happier and better cared for and can enjoy the time in a more peaceful kind of way, and feel relief in knowing they will probably live out their natural life in there before the death penalty ever takes effect. This is what has been said by people that are indeed guilty of the serious crimes (not innocent people wrongly convicted of course).

Can you shed any light on that or offer any of your knowledge about that?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Death over life imprisonment every time. I don't want to pay for their existence.

So you would rather pay for there death. $30 k per year for life.... Up to $30 million to kill them. Throw them in a hole and forget them.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Allow me to play devil's advocate...

There are two groups one can belong to. Those who kill other humans and those who do not. If we give her the death penalty, aren't we just as guilty of killing as she is? What makes our killing any more justified?

Problem Group: People kill other people.
    Solution Group: People who don't kill people.

Which group should we belong to?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Can we say death by organ donation :) Might as well make good use of a worthless corpse
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    I vote for life of extremely hard labor living in tent city (wish this was an option)
    [/quote

^ this.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    Who cares? I sure don't.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    u MURDER, and then u get to live the rest of your natural life (behind bars, granted) with room and board provided?
    nope. taxpayer money should NOT be spent on that. can't be released back into society, shouldn't be supported by society. gotta go.

Not sure where you live (in the US or elsewhere) but in the US it costs WAY more money to house a death row inmate and pay for all the automatic appeals they are entitled to than it does to just put them away for life without parole. So if you are talking strictly about what's best financially, life without possibility of parole is far cheaper. And I am not making this statement without back up research. I did my senior project for my BS in Criminal Justice on the death penalty (presented both pro and con positions) and have done tons of research on the financial side of it.

When listening to prisoners speak, I have often heard them say that they would prefer the death penalty. They said that the prison is much better and they are happier and better cared for and can enjoy the time in a more peaceful kind of way, and feel relief in knowing they will probably live out their natural life in there before the death penalty ever takes effect. This is what has been said by people that are indeed guilty of the serious crimes (not innocent people wrongly convicted of course).

Death row you are in a tiny cell by yourself 23 hours a day. You are entitled to one hour per day of recreation but depending on the prison that could mean different things. It rarely means hanging out enjoying a beautiful sunny day. It could mean a room with a basketball hoop, a basket ball, and yourself.
    You are far more likely to die of natural causes on death row (in most states in the US) than you are of execution. Because of automatic appeals, etc. So the fear of death in many states is far lower than you might think.
    You are far safer physically on death row from a day to day standpoint, than you are in general population in a regular prison. No roommate to kill you in your sleep, no fellow inmates to shank you while you're in line waiting to eat. No gangs to be forced to join for protection, no sexual assault. However, there is also very limited human interraction, which seriously messes with your head after awhile.
    Bottom line is the longer you're in custody, the more "institutionalized" you become, so that it just becomes a way of life. It's "comfortable". I have clients who can't stay out of custody because they can no longer function in normal society. Their freedom of choice is taken for so long that when they are turned loose, their ability to make choices is permanently stunted. This of course depends on how long they've been in custody. Most states offer zero rehabilitation, so when you commit a criminal to state prison, treat them like they're subhuman for five or ten years, and then release them with no job skills, no drug treatment (there are plenty of drugs in prison, trust me), no coping mechanisms, no money and no education, you can't really expect a good result.
    I will now step off my soap box and get back to work. :)
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Allow me to play devil's advocate...

There are two groups one can belong to. Those who kill other humans and those who do not. If we give her the death penalty, aren't we just as guilty of killing as she is? What makes our killing any more justified?

Problem Group: People kill other people.
    Solution Group: People who don't kill people.

Which group should we belong to?

I seriously question the mental stability of the people who can acytually carry out lawful executions in the US. I freak out if I hit a skunk while driving my car. I can't imagine going to work knowing today is the day I'm going to kill someone. A human being. Even a subhuman piece of garbage that rapes and murders little kids has a face. And it's likely a face you've been dealing with for many years, day in and day out, if you have worked at a prison for any period of time. I worry about the person who is okay doing that job. And there are a couple states that still offer the firing squad as an execution option. What separates us from the criminals when we are gunning people down? I've just always wondered about that. For the record, with the firing squad there are multiple shooters and some have blank rounds loaded in their weapons and some have live rounds, they are not told which is which. So you don't really KNOW you're the one that killed them. But still...

It should be noted that the cause of death listed on the death certificate for person lawfully executed in the US is "homicide". Just something to think about.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Death row you are in a tiny cell by yourself 23 hours a day. You are entitled to one hour per day of recreation but depending on the prison that could mean different things. It rarely means hanging out enjoying a beautiful sunny day. It could mean a room with a basketball hoop, a basket ball, and yourself.
    You are far more likely to die of natural causes on death row (in most states in the US) than you are of execution. Because of automatic appeals, etc. So the fear of death in many states is far lower than you might think.
    You are far safer physically on death row from a day to day standpoint, than you are in general population in a regular prison. No roommate to kill you in your sleep, no fellow inmates to shank you while you're in line waiting to eat. No gangs to be forced to join for protection, no sexual assault. However, there is also very limited human interraction, which seriously messes with your head after awhile.
    Bottom line is the longer you're in custody, the more "institutionalized" you become, so that it just becomes a way of life. It's "comfortable". I have clients who can't stay out of custody because they can no longer function in normal society. Their freedom of choice is taken for so long that when they are turned loose, their ability to make choices is permanently stunted. This of course depends on how long they've been in custody. Most states offer zero rehabilitation, so when you commit a criminal to state prison, treat them like they're subhuman for five or ten years, and then release them with no job skills, no drug treatment (there are plenty of drugs in prison, trust me), no coping mechanisms, no money and no education, you can't really expect a good result.
    I will now step off my soap box and get back to work. :)

I understand! Thanks for explaining.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    personally if i was a juror, i'd give life. i couldnt get myself to vote to kill anyone and she is never getting out.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Well, i havent lived in the US for very long...but i find it very sad that there are millions of old people who are told by the Govt that there isnt much money for their needs and cares....but yet....there are people who are put into prison and taken care of for the rest of their lives and are given medical care...for what? for killing people? for raping people? and hard working tax payers pay for all this.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Speaking from the only prisoner I know, I think the death penalty is a gift when you have something big on your conscience. My uncle, who I am very close with and have been most of my life, wishes the death penalty were an option for him. He killed his best friend, husband and father of three, because they both got in the car drunk, with my uncle being behind the wheel. He is serving 11 years for DUI manslaughter currently and the death penalty was never an option.

Funny thing is, when my uncle was going through everything in the hospital, and then everything with the court and sentencing, my mom talked to his best friend's wife. She told my mom one day that she used to wish that my uncle and Gary could trade places, that my uncle had died and Gary was still alive. But seeing all the guilt and pain my uncle has to live with, she said she's glad it turned out the way it did.

If we're trying to have mercy, the death penalty is the best option.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Speaking from the only prisoner I know, I think the death penalty is a gift when you have something big on your conscience. My uncle, who I am very close with and have been most of my life, wishes the death penalty were an option for him. He killed his best friend, husband and father of three, because they both got in the car drunk, with my uncle being behind the wheel. He is serving 11 years for DUI manslaughter currently and the death penalty was never an option.

Funny thing is, when my uncle was going through everything in the hospital, and then everything with the court and sentencing, my mom talked to his best friend's wife. She told my mom one day that she used to wish that my uncle and Gary could trade places, that my uncle had died and Gary was still alive. But seeing all the guilt and pain my uncle has to live with, she said she's glad it turned out the way it did.

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's very sad. Not everyone is going to feel that way though. And in a lot of cases of premeditated murder, we are talking about sociopaths that do not feel remorse like that.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's very sad. Not everyone is going to feel that way though. And in a lot of cases of premeditated murder, we are talking about sociopaths that do not feel remorse like that.

That is very true, I should have specified in some cases. As far as this woman goes, I can't tell if she is sincere in her sorrow or not.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

That is very true, I should have specified in some cases. As far as this woman goes, I can't tell if she is sincere in her sorrow or not.

Well, I can't diagnose anyone, but she sure doesn't seem sincere to me and with all the lying and the ability to even do what she did.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    life... i just dont think the state should be allowed to kill its citizens. too much power.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    life... i just dont think the state should be allowed to kill its citizens. too much power.

This. I agree with the other person who said that to be a part of the solution, you can't commit the same act as the problem, but to take out the emotional side of it, this is a great reason, along with innocent convictions.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Do you think Jodi Arias should get a life sentence or the death penalty?
    [/quote
    they can't put enough needles in her for my liking. I don't even really believe in the death penalty but if she doesn't get it for the horrible acts she committed we should agree as a nation to dismantle it all together. the family will never find peace but she should fry!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the death penalty. Ever.