Peanut Butter!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    When I lick it off my finger, I rub the last little bit into my gums. I'm a true addict!
  • grandevampire
    grandevampire Posts: 242
    Options
    I sometimes make my own, too, because I don't know what a rapeseed is, but it makes me uncomfortable to think of spreading its oil on my... well, anything, really.

Haha. I don't think rapeseed oil is bad in itself. I believe canola, which you probably have heard of, was developed from it. It's actually a pretty yummy veggie in itself. The problem is that it's totally unnecessary to the peanut butter, but probably lubricates it to get to completely industrially consistent and "smooth". The rest of the ingredients are no doubt to ensure it stocks well and preserves without separating, which real peanut butter does when not refridgerated.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My drawer at work has a jar of Cinnamon Raisin Swirl from PB&Co, Dark Chocolate Dreams from PB&Co, PB2, Skippy Natural Super Chunk, Skippy Natural Creamy and Nutella (lol).

PB&Co = the bomb. Good stuff!

I'm totally obsessed. At home, I have the rest of the flavors.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Us fat people have tons of stored fat, we dont have to eat fat because athletes do............The rules are different for us.........If you cant wash peanut butter off a spoon, how do you think our arteries do it? Just a question.........

The peanut butter does not make it into your arteries intact. or are you mainlining peanut butter?
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Even better, make your own! Throw 4 cups of raw unsalted peanuts into a food processor and let it process for about 5 minutes. It may go through a doughy phase at first, but keep it going and it turns into butter. Tada! Also works on almonds, hazelnuts, etc.

OT EDIT:

Ingredients of the pb pictured in the OP contains:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, PEA PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Homemade contains:
    PEANUTS ;)

I sometimes make my own, too, because I don't know what a rapeseed is, but it makes me uncomfortable to think of spreading its oil on my... well, anything, really.

Rapeseed is what they make canola oil from. Learned that a couple of weeks ago.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I considered it gluttonous and a precursor to obesity to eat peanut butter straight from the jar by the teaspoon. Now I have seen the light and know that my weight loss, health, happiness and well being depend on it.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Even better, make your own! Throw 4 cups of raw unsalted peanuts into a food processor and let it process for about 5 minutes. It may go through a doughy phase at first, but keep it going and it turns into butter. Tada! Also works on almonds, hazelnuts, etc.

OT EDIT:

PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, PEA PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Homemade contains:
    PEANUTS ;)

I've actually 'pinned' this on Pinterest(I'm an addict!) ---have you actually made this? I do know the ingredients in Jif PB aren't very good... :( I'd really be interested in trying the homemade kind, if its as good!!!

You might check your local "health food" store. I live in a fairly small town, with only 1 such store, but even here they keep large bins of raw nuts and you grind your own, into to-go containers, right there on the spot. As easy as driving to the big chain store and buying a jar. But MUCH healthier. I don't actually eat peanut butter, since it's a legume and not a nut, but I make almond or walnut butter there. Easy and no mess at your own house.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is actually the only thing I don't measure. I just "eye ball" it but I know that I'm getting about 1 TBS instead of 2 but it's okay, I still lick it all off the knife and savor it on my toast. I use jiff natural creamy, it's sooooooooo good
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

OT EDIT:

Homemade contains:
    PEANUTS ;)

WHHHHAAATTTT!!! *Mind Blown* I just got a new food processor 2 months ago and I have yet to use it. Guess how I'll be breaking that bad boy in now! Woot Woot!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Container? Hell, I just use a spoon and lick it clean. :laugh:
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    There's a PB that I really like, Crazy Richard's, and the Planter's Nut-Trition is fun for a change, and of course there's chocolate and crunchy and creamy... I will any peanut butter and yes, I lick that spoon clean.
  • Heidi_11913
    Heidi_11913 Posts: 54
    Options

OT EDIT:

Homemade contains:
    PEANUTS ;)

I've actually 'pinned' this on Pinterest(I'm an addict!) ---have you actually made this? I do know the ingredients in Jif PB aren't very good... :( I'd really be interested in trying the homemade kind, if its as good!!!

You might check your local "health food" store. I live in a fairly small town, with only 1 such store, but even here they keep large bins of raw nuts and you grind your own, into to-go containers, right there on the spot. As easy as driving to the big chain store and buying a jar. But MUCH healthier. I don't actually eat peanut butter, since it's a legume and not a nut, but I make almond or walnut butter there. Easy and no mess at your own house.

I've never seen this at any store that I've been too(although maybe just wasn't looking??) So i'll have to keep an eye out for it. otherwise, we do have a food processor.... I'll have to check it out! Do you know approx how many peanuts that you need to make a small jar of PB??
  • movu101779
    movu101779 Posts: 27
    Options
    try "better 'n peanut butter" its amazing! made with real peanuts but its only 100 calories for 2 tbsp.

I have it and I like it myself... I only use 1 tbsp in the morning. So I only use 50 calories.. Very nice.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    WHHHHAAATTTT!!! *Mind Blown* I just got a new food processor 2 months ago and I have yet to use it. Guess how I'll be breaking that bad boy in now! Woot Woot!

Lol. In case you missed above, your second food processor run should definitely be hummus. Can of garbanzo beans/chick peas, 3 cloves of garlic (modify depending on your love of garlicky hummus), tablespoon of the bean water. Squirt of lemon, or not (can be quite tangy with, I prefer without).
    ^ EDIT: Oops, that is my abridged lazy version. The real version should contain a tbsp of tahini, which you would make before hand from sesame seeds and olive oil (instructions are googlable). I've done hummus without, it was gone before I noticed any missing tahini.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I've never seen this at any store that I've been too(although maybe just wasn't looking??) So i'll have to keep an eye out for it. otherwise, we do have a food processor.... I'll have to check it out! Do you know approx how many peanuts that you need to make a small jar of PB??

2 cups will make a small jar.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The wife gave me a 6-month peanut butter of the month membership, and I couldn't be happier. Every month I get one "hippie peanut butter" as I like to refer to it, and one um .. interesting one.

So far, for naturals:
    CB's Nuts
    Edwards Freeman
    The Virginia Peanut Company
    One I forget .. unsalted. one ingredient: peanuts. Learned I need my PB salted
    Have not received May's shipment yet.

For interesting ones: (I forget brands on most these)
    Vermont Peanut Butter with white chocolate.
    One with Cocoa powder and mini M&Ms
    One with honey and cookie dough
    I forget the other one.

They're all awesome

But .. I still love Jif. It's always gonna taste like childhood.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Nope, peanut butter is great!! Yeah eat the full fat!!! That's good fat.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Love Peanut Butter - Smucker's Natural....mmmmmmmmmmm. Ingredients: Peanuts!
    Hard to make the kids sandwiches every day without dipping...ahhhh. heaven!
    My husband can do major calorie damage with peanut butter! :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    try "better 'n peanut butter" its amazing! made with real peanuts but its only 100 calories for 2 tbsp.

37880059.jpg

sorry, but its not FAKE peanut butter. its made with real peanuts, but has 85% less fat and 40% less calories than regular peanut butter.

NO PRESERVATIVES, NO TRANS FAT, NO SATURATED FAT, GLUTEN-FREE & DAIRY-FREE

Better N' Peanut Butter (it pained me to even type those words):
    Ingredients: PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Peanut Butter:
    Peanuts (optional: salt)

Note that real peanut butter is also "NO PRESERVATIVES, NO TRANS FAT, NO SATURATED FAT, GLUTEN-FREE & DAIRY-FREE" only without special additions like glycerin and lecithin and several types of added sugar.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Go to Whole Foods if there is one near you and grind fresh peanut butter. It's all organic and so much better for you than the processed stuff. :smile: