Peanut Butter!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Heidi_11913
    Heidi_11913 Posts: 54
    Options
    Go to Whole Foods if there is one near you and grind fresh peanut butter. It's all organic and so much better for you than the processed stuff. :smile:

We don't have a Whole Foods around here(near Green Bay, WI)---however, I'm going to try to make my own at home!!! :)
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Horribly OT: Speaking of foods that are unbelievably simple to process/blend that I used to buy but will never have to again, hummus and almond milk. Try it!

NO. WAY. How do you make your own almond milk? I just moved to Crete and it's impossible to find. :sad:
  • grandevampire
    grandevampire Posts: 242
    Options
    Go to Whole Foods if there is one near you and grind fresh peanut butter. It's all organic and so much better for you than the processed stuff. :smile:

Sigh, "if there is one near you". :( Damn you people with your Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. *jealous*. I have yet to find a shop in Paris that even comes close to being as awesome as I imagine those to be.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sorry, but its not FAKE peanut butter. its made with real peanuts, but has 85% less fat and 40% less calories than regular peanut butter.

NO PRESERVATIVES, NO TRANS FAT, NO SATURATED FAT, GLUTEN-FREE & DAIRY-FREE

So kraft singles aren't FAKE cheese. Since they're made with real milk.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    DITTO:blushing:
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    loved peanut butter as a kid, love now. Now I want peanut butter. Can't wait to go home lunch have have a peanut butter and jam sammich!
  • grandevampire
    Options

Horribly OT: Speaking of foods that are unbelievably simple to process/blend that I used to buy but will never have to again, hummus and almond milk. Try it!

NO. WAY. How do you make your own almond milk? I just moved to Crete and it's impossible to find. :sad:

Have a blender at home? Soak a cup of almonds in a bowl of water overnight. Rinse them off in the morning, throw them in the blender with 3-4 cups of water and blend for a few minutes. The next part is the only slight hassle of this: strain. Most blogs seem to suggest a cheese cloth or a "nut bag" (yeah, that's actually what they're called). I am lazy, I have a Bodum tea pot with a plunger strainer and I just lazily use that. There may be a bit of fibre left behind, but it goes way faster this way and is less of a mess, no cloth or "nut bag" (heh heh heh) to wash after. That yields a 3-4 cup batch of plain almond milk. Or you can sweeten to taste with maple syrup or agave syrup or whatever you feel comfortable using health-wise. Throw that bad boy in the fridge!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter. 20 peanuts makes about a tbsp and no perservatives. You do have to use it up faster but everyone can eat it not just you. If you have a good blender ( I have the professional Ninja) ju
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mhx85vmdtQ1rum97po6_500.gif
  • grandevampire
    Options
    So kraft singles aren't FAKE cheese. Since they're made with real milk.
    Lol, the problem isn't the "fake" part, it's the "cheese" part. :P
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Have a blender at home? Soak a cup of almonds in a bowl of water overnight. Rinse them off in the morning, throw them in the blender with 3-4 cups of water and blend for a few minutes. The next part is the only slight hassle of this: strain. Most blogs seem to suggest a cheese cloth or a "nut bag" (yeah, that's actually what they're called). I am lazy, I have a Bodum tea pot with a plunger strainer and I just lazily use that. There may be a bit of fibre left behind, but it goes way faster this way and is less of a mess, no cloth or "nut bag" (heh heh heh) to wash after. That yields a 3-4 cup batch of plain almond milk. Or you can sweeten to taste with maple syrup or agave syrup or whatever you feel comfortable using health-wise. Throw that bad boy in the fridge!

and use the fiber left behind, dry it and use it as a crust for chicken or salmon or anything like that.
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've become obsessed with Cinnamon Raisin Swirl peanut butter from Peanut Butter & Co. SOOOOOO delicious. And SO very worth the calories when I have them available :-)
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a slight peanut butter addiction. On the shelf right now, I have a natural crunchy peanut butter, dark chocolate peanut butter dreams, pb2, & chocolate pb2 (those are great for recipes). I also have some Nutella. Dang... why is all my peanut butter at home!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    and use the fiber left behind, dry it and use it as a crust for chicken or salmon or anything like that.

+1

I always wondered what I should do with the fibre, seemed like such a waste as it's perfectly edible (and seeing as I'm always obsessed with getting my 30g of fibre a day)! Thanks for that!
  • Heidi_11913
    Heidi_11913 Posts: 54
    Options
    I have a slight peanut butter addiction. On the shelf right now, I have a natural crunchy peanut butter, dark chocolate peanut butter dreams, pb2, & chocolate pb2 (those are great for recipes). I also have some Nutella. Dang... why is all my peanut butter at home!

It's probably good that it's out of reach since we're all talking about it! LOL.

Never have tried the chocolate pb..however I tried nutella once and felt like I went to heavvvvvven!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    It's probably good that it's out of reach since we're all talking about it! LOL.

Never have tried the chocolate pb..however I tried nutella once and felt like I went to heavvvvvven!

Ya, and then I read this "Nutella contains 67% saturated fat and processed sugar by weight." on Wiki and can never feel the same about it, even if I'm trying to act all relaxed and laissez-faire.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Even better, make your own! Throw 4 cups of raw unsalted peanuts into a food processor and let it process for about 5 minutes. It may go through a doughy phase at first, but keep it going and it turns into butter. Tada! Also works on almonds, hazelnuts, etc.

I made almond butter by mistake this way (recipe for something else called for almonds ground up in the food processor). I've been wanting to do this with peanuts, as I love peanut butter. Next time I'm out East, I'm heading over to Virginia to get a big burlap bag of peanuts.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    this is one we get here in new zealand, and its the kind of peanut butter I like:

ppb_unsalted.jpg

it has one or two ingredients

ResizedImage308419-peanut-plant.png

peanuts and salt for the salted version, and

peanuts for the no salt version.

smart eh.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I switched to pb2.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member