• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bezlooney wrote: »
    314- cal
    im just gonna have the real thing

I agree

2 regular pancakes for 314 calories vs 6 with this recipe... hmmm... Might make more of these tomorrow, it's been a while.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    *revives this thread from the ashes*

Lemme tell y'all. I was looking through random recipes I'd bookmarked through my phone through the years and this one was tucked away in my "Breakfast" folder. I had everything but more Greek yogurt, since I ran out yesterday. After a quick trip to the store, I got started.

I added 1/2 of a ripe banana (51g) and 2 TSP (10g) of Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips. I also subbed whole wheat flour in place of the white. OMG they turned out SOOOO GOOOOOD. I have tried other protein pancakes in the past and I was disappointed, be it the taste or the consistency (one of them suggested cottage cheese...let's just say NEVER AGAIN).

The only caveat is that they are a wee bit tough. Not too tough for a butter knife though!

I'm going to be full for forever! They're soooo filling. 10/10 lazy morning breakfast.
  • Francl27
    Options

Lemme tell y'all. I was looking through random recipes I'd bookmarked through my phone through the years and this one was tucked away in my "Breakfast" folder. I had everything but more Greek yogurt, since I ran out yesterday. After a quick trip to the store, I got started.

I added 1/2 of a ripe banana (51g) and 2 TSP (10g) of Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips. I also subbed whole wheat flour in place of the white. OMG they turned out SOOOO GOOOOOD. I have tried other protein pancakes in the past and I was disappointed, be it the taste or the consistency (one of them suggested cottage cheese...let's just say NEVER AGAIN).

The only caveat is that they are a wee bit tough. Not too tough for a butter knife though!

I'm going to be full for forever! They're soooo filling. 10/10 lazy morning breakfast.

I need to make them again... thanks for reminding me, lol. But I need fruit to put in.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I need to make them again... thanks for reminding me, lol. But I need fruit to put in.

2P906M
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    OMG. Those look so so good. Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    After some debate on if the effort was worth it, I made these and really enjoyed them. Other recipe videos suggest cottage cheese but it's a lot nicer with Greek yogurt. I'll definitely keep this recipe mind when I want to use some protein powder.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

It makes me so happy when my pancake thread gets revived haha, you have no idea! Glad you enjoyed them. Adding chocolate chips sounds great.

Obviously if you want real pancakes, just eat real pancakes, but these are a great way to have a high protein breakfast and I think they're really really tasty. Haters gon hate.

• flabassmcgee
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »

It makes me so happy when my pancake thread gets revived haha, you have no idea! Glad you enjoyed them. Adding chocolate chips sounds great.

Obviously if you want real pancakes, just eat real pancakes, but these are a great way to have a high protein breakfast and I think they're really really tasty. Haters gon hate.

Still full hours later. Thank you!!!!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    thanks @Francl27 for bringing up this recipe in a completely different thread. i've been looking for a good pancake recipe and this looks awesome!! 300ish calories for 6 pancakes with 40g of protein .... freakin' phenomenal. Looking forward to making it.

I've tried just mixing protein powder (casein/whey mix), regular egg, and greek yogurt, but it came out rubbery. So hopefully the flour will make the difference here.
  • Francl27
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    thanks @Francl27 for bringing up this recipe in a completely different thread. i've been looking for a good pancake recipe and this looks awesome!! 300ish calories for 6 pancakes with 40g of protein .... freakin' phenomenal. Looking forward to making it.

I've tried just mixing protein powder (casein/whey mix), regular egg, and greek yogurt, but it came out rubbery. So hopefully the flour will make the difference here.

I just suggest adding some fruit or it's just too dry for me.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I want to make them right now yummy
  • jacklifts
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Alright, I finally made these, with the following:

Quest protein multipurpose mix (whey/casein mix) : 28g
    Cake flour : 34g
    Egg white : 46g
    Non-fat greek yogurt : 168g
    Baking soda : 5g

Nutrition:
    343 calories, 50g protein, 35g carbs, 2g fiber, 0g fat.

The dough came out pretty thick, maybe because of the protein mix. So I had to water it down to look like pancake mix. Cooked well, nice and crispy on the outside. It didn't taste that good by itself, as my protein mix didn't have added sweetener (which I didn't realize at the time). I added low-calorie syrup to it. A little "eggy" and flat, but overall not bad. It'd probably taste better if I used a better tasting protein. Not sure how to make it more fluffy - maybe less water? Next time I might add some blueberries or something.

EDIT: hmm...any ideas on subbing the flour out for mashed bananas with similar calories? I have zero baking knowledge..just wondering if it would work.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....healthier if you could bake them at 320 degrees as muffins....mmmmmmmm....
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Nutrition:

The dough came out pretty thick, maybe because of the protein mix. So I had to water it down to look like pancake mix. Cooked well, nice and crispy on the outside. It didn't taste that good by itself, as my protein mix didn't have added sweetener (which I didn't realize at the time). I added low-calorie syrup to it. A little "eggy" and flat, but overall not bad. It'd probably taste better if I used a better tasting protein. Not sure how to make it more fluffy - maybe less water? Next time I might add some blueberries or something.

EDIT: hmm...any ideas on subbing the flour out for mashed bananas with similar calories? I have zero baking knowledge..just wondering if it would work.

I am not a kitchen person. And I have low standards. But by far the best protein pancakes I have ever made with the fewest stuff in them has been:

3-4 servings liquid egg whites
    pinch of xanthum or guar gum
    Scoop protein powder (the quest works... not all do)
    1 Tbsp water
    Tbls or so of sugar free syrup (like Davinci or Toriani)
    0.5 to 1 tsp baking powder
    cinnamon

The trick to these? Whip the egg whites and gum for like 5-10 minutes with an electric whisk. The gum keeps it stiffer. Keep going til it separates from the sides of the bowl. Then mix everything else in.

This makes a HUGE amount of pancakes but the entire thing is only like 200 calories and is over 35g protein (protein scoop is usually about 20g, egg whites are 5g per serving liquid egg whites).

I get very bored trying to cook all of it one at a time on my little pan, so instead I pour the whole thing into a rectangle baking/cake type pan and put it the toaster oven. 350 deg for about 10-15 minutes. It rises up HUGE. After you take it out it will deflate somewhat, but the thing is still monsterous.

I have mixed in frozen fruits (lesson learned - defrost and drain water first). I usually put sugar free jelly and whipping cream on top.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Nutrition:

I was just thinking the same. Anyway, I'm going to make these for breakfast tomorrow :) they look delicious
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump
    I need to get some protein powder, then I will try these!
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just made these, they were really yummy. Quite airy and fluffy, but then I'm used to thin crepe-style pancakes, being in the uk. I substituted most of the flour for ground up oats, just thought it'd be a little healthier.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    As written, it had a bit too much of the yogurt flavor coming through so I added a couple of tweaks.
    1) 1 tsp vanilla extract
    2) 10 drops stevia extract.
    3) used Dannon Oikos Triple 0 Vanilla Greek yogurt instead of plain
    Served with strawberries, the flavor was very good!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I made the recipe with my chocolate protein powder (it's all I have), with the OP's suggestions of strawberries and vanilla extract. The pancakes made my protein powder taste less like *kitten*. This is, believe it or not, high praise--my protein powder is vile. I ate the whole pancake recipe. I am definitely full, and am almost guaranteed to hit my protein goal today, so thank you @LaurenAOK ! I may try this recipe again after I've gone through my current tub o' whey and gotten a new brand/flavor.

I prefer normal pancakes (who wouldn't?) but normal pancakes don't come with 43 grams protein. The recipe was a good experiment. Now I want to play around with yogurt and egg whites and find my own "ultimate" protein pancake. If I get half the protein in these pancakes I'll consider it a success.
  • jacklifts
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This past weekend, I tried:

1 cup non-fat yogurt
    2 bananas
    3 scoops of protein powder
    2 eggs + 2 egg whites

5g baking soda
    15 drops of stevia liquid
    few drops of vanilla
    few shakes of cinnamon and nutmeg

came out pretty flat and tough, but the flavor was better, I think from substituting banana for the flour. Added just a hint of sweetness. I think there was too much protein in there and I mixed it too much, which made it tough. I still have no idea how to get them fluffy. I also tried whipping the egg whites into a merengue before mixing, didn't seem to make much difference. Next iteration, I'm going to try the same thing, with one less scoop of protein powder, and mixing the batter by hand instead of using a food processor.