SIZE ZERO!!!!!

Options

Replies

• angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Im a chick and I don't understand chicks!!

I don't know why size matters anyways? Weird topic??

I suppose to some its important??
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i think my finger is a size zero? does that count
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I could be nothing but skin and bones and I'd still never be a size zero. Wide shoulders. Wide hips made wider by childbirth (although, even before children, it wouldn't have happened.)

I look at my beautiful size eight teenager and she's built the same way. She's absolutely beautiful but her body just isn't built that way. Like me, she's got HIPS.

Embrace who you are! Life is too short to cling to someone elses idea of beauty.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Most women I think have awesome, slim bodies are a size 2, even if they have a petite build. So no, I don't think size 0 is desirable. I am between a 4 and a 6 and can only imagine what kind of starvation it takes to be a 0...
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    For very petite women it's a healthy attainable goal. For average and above women it may be attainable, but not in a healthy way. My ribcage alone wouldn't allow me to ever wear a size zero.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    not healthy
  • margemynx3
    margemynx3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it's about your individual frame and proportions. Like an earlier poster, I'm 5'5 and 118 (25 inch waist - I could never get down to 23 no matter how hard I try!). I wear a size zero in shorts/skirts/jeans (a 00 in JCrew, who I think vanity-sizes big time) and a size 2-4 on top because my arms and chest are proportionally larger. I run 3 miles twice a week and lift heavy 3 times a week in addition to a mostly clean diet (with one cheat meal a week). I'm nowhere near as "effortlessly" skinny as I used to be (getting into your 30s will do that!), but I think this is pretty much my natural frame, give or take a few pounds.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So after reading six pages on this, I have come to the conclusion that 'size' does matter ?

We guys have suspected this all along and now we have proof, cause it s on the interweb.

Sorry, could not resist, it s the start of a long weekend here in Canada.

Cheers everyone !
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My extremely skinny 13 year old wears a size 0! I would NEVER want to fit into my 13 yr olds clothes, I mean she is soooo skinny it's ridiculous, I honeslty think women over like 20 look gross and way too skinny in a size 0, go for a 3 or 5 at the least
    that is such a silly argument and disrespectful. I am a size 0 sometimes 00 and I am 120 lbs. I am only 5.1 and have always been a small size. I am curvy and not skinny at all in fact many people wouldn't even guess my size. it's all down to proportions and lean body mass. I have shopped in children's clothes and bought 12 yrs old clothes because is so very difficult to buy small clothes so before you make these generic statements think about it.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    If you naturally have the body type for it yes, but if you don't, no.

This! I have a few friends who are naturally small framed and naturally thin and have childhoods spent doing gymnastics, ballet, and ice skating,so yeah, they are really healthy gorgeous size 0 and one's even a 00. That works for them. That's not my body frame at all so for me, I don't think it's healthy or attainable but I look great at a 10/12 and not everyone does.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I definitely couldn't achieve it in a healthy way. The smallest I have been was a UK size 8 and I did not look well. I'm not particularly tall btw, 5'6.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My BF's 13-year-old daughter is 5'6" and about 100 pounds. She has a really tough time finding clothes that fit. Based on her father and grandmother (where she gets her skinny genes), she's going to be a size 0 or less pretty much the rest of her life. She told me on her last visit that she's trying really hard to gain weight, but she actually lost weight since she was here three months before that.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    very few women have hip bones naturally small enough to fit into a size zero. even if i lost 20 pounds, i could never fit into a zero because my hip bones won't fit in anything smaller than a 2. so no, not possible for everyone to attain.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I wear a size zero-tiny frame, so it depends on ones body structure and build. Not everyone would look healthy at this size and I don't think it should be something someone strives for.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think you can achieve it tha healthy way but many people would like to do it no matter what. And well, it depends on your height as well- if you're very short you can easily achieve size zero but if you're for example 5'10''?

I disagree, if your short AND naturally thin then you are more likely to achieve a size zero. For shorter girls (as one myself) I think its harder because we have smaller abdominal areas and smaller legs and weight shows WAY more then with taller people. I know many taller people who weight more or about the same as me and wear smaller clothes than I do. So I believe that opposite is true, the taller you are the better chance that you could achieve a size zero, i.e. work at it.

it depends on frame size, not height. Frame size is the width of your shoulders, width/depth of your rib cage, and the width of your pelvis, and these are determined by genetics. Height and frame size don't always correlate either... everyone assumes that short people must have smaller frames, and tall people must have larger frames, but that's not always the case. There are a lot of short, large framed people (like me) and tall, small framed people (like a lot of fashion models).

If you have a small frame then you will probably fit into a size zero when your body fat percentage is in the healthy range. If you have a large frame, then you probably will not fit into a size zero without starving yourself half to death.

I agree with what Binary Pulsar said right at the start of the thread.... aspire to be fit, strong and healthy, and be whatever size you are when you achieve that. Aim for a healthy body fat percentage, exercise and nourish your body properly. No matter what your frame size, fit, strong and healthy looks good and if you look great naked you really shouldn't give a rats hairy behind what actual dress size your clothes are.

So true. It is your actual frame size. You can have hips too compared to the rest of your body. My sister has hips, not huge hips but she has a nice curve to her lower body. I always thought she had a nice shape in a swimming suit. She was around 20 and could fit in a size 0 at the stores we would shop at.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Most women I think have awesome, slim bodies are a size 2, even if they have a petite build. So no, I don't think size 0 is desirable. I am between a 4 and a 6 and can only imagine what kind of starvation it takes to be a 0...

I eat over 2000 calories a day. I am not starving and actually have a surplus of nutrients in my blood tests. Absolutely no starvation.

People can be so ignorant about the range of sizes a person can be. And someone that is a size 0, does not care about the size number. We only care about being able to find clothing that fits properly.

I appreciate all the nice comments I have read in the thread as well. :flowerforyou:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    very few women have hip bones naturally small enough to fit into a size zero. even if i lost 20 pounds, i could never fit into a zero because my hip bones won't fit in anything smaller than a 2. so no, not possible for everyone to attain.

Yes, I knew this girl who was thin and healthy ( she had no excess body fat) and she wore a size 10 and no smaller because her frame was large around her hips. She had a large lower half but not in an unattractive way. She was very pretty.
  • jayrae87
    jayrae87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you believe that a size 0 is attainable by everyone, given they try hard enough...

I could have 10% body fat and my hips still wouldn't fit into them, so unless I was willing to have someone shave some of hip bones off, then it's not attainable. I'm pretty happy in a size 6 and with having carried a baby with these hips, not to mention my husband seems to like them too. :wink:
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am 5'-6.5", 125 lbs, and I wear a size 2 (this is new for me - and exciting! I've never worn this size as an adult).

According to the BMI, I I could still lose another 10 lbs and be considered "healthy", so yeah I think a size 0 is attainable...(but I don't really want to lose anymore, personally)

But it makes me wonder what size models are wearing because there's no way I'm close to being as skinny as some of those models!

EDIT - just to add that the size 2 is in adult/womens clothing. I wear larger sizes if shopping in the juniors clothes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My extremely skinny 13 year old wears a size 0! I would NEVER want to fit into my 13 yr olds clothes, I mean she is soooo skinny it's ridiculous, I honeslty think women over like 20 look gross and way too skinny in a size 0, go for a 3 or 5 at the least

I think you're mixing up juniors sizing and misses sizing.

I agree that a juniors size 0 is teeny-tiny. But juniors sizing is meant for teenagers. Granted, there's old coots like me that still shop there, but it's designed and sized for young women. Misses sizing is for adult women, and is in even sizes: 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. Juniors is odd sizes, 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.

I'm a size 2 or 4 in misses, but anywhere in juniors, I'm typically a 7 or 9, sometimes a 5 and occasionally an 11. In misses tops, I'm a small or extra-small. In juniors, I'm a large or extra large.

Which has to be confusing as hell for young women who might not be aware at the extreme differences in sizing. They could be what the rest of the world would consider small, and wear an XL. Or what the rest of the world would consider perfectly normal, attractive and healthy, and not fit into anything at all in that department.

It's why I wish women's sizing was based on measurements like men's, instead of this completely meaningless number system.