SIZE ZERO!!!!!

Options

Replies

• A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you believe that a size 0 is attainable by everyone, given they try hard enough...

I could have 10% body fat and my hips still wouldn't fit into them, so unless I was willing to have someone shave some of hip bones off, then it's not attainable. I'm pretty happy in a size 6 and with having carried a baby with these hips, not to mention my husband seems to like them too. :wink:

Same here. I am 5'8 with a small frame, but my hips would never fit in a zero. I have been as small as a 4 before and I looked great and felt great.

Hey my hips helped me have two very easy deliveries, so I am thankful I didn't have very small hips. :)
  • margemynx3
    margemynx3 Posts: 2
    Options
    "It's why I wish women's sizing was based on measurements like men's, instead of this completely meaningless number system."

Exactly!! Why is it so difficult for designers/manufacturers to get on board with this? Wouldn't this help online sales exponentially (less confusion, less returns), too?
  • bhl3749
    bhl3749 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am 5 feet tall and small framed. i have been a size zero in my adult life. but maintaining that and eating are not compatiable
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm a zero at old navy, which is not really a true zero but *shrug*
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    I've been there, done that. Eating disorders whittled me down to a junior's size 0 at age 16 - I was 5'9 and only weighed 118 at the time.

Not doing that again.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "It's why I wish women's sizing was based on measurements like men's, instead of this completely meaningless number system."

Exactly!! Why is it so difficult for designers/manufacturers to get on board with this? Wouldn't this help online sales exponentially (less confusion, less returns), too?
    I don't think it's as easy to size for women this way. Men pretty much have the same hip/waist measurements. Maybe 1% of mean might have a significant difference in their waist/hip ratio.

Women, on the other hand, vary GREATLY in that area. You have the straight up and down bodies, the pears, the hourglasses and a whole bunch in between.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree that a juniors size 0 is teeny-tiny. But juniors sizing is meant for teenagers. Granted, there's old coots like me that still shop there, but it's designed and sized for young women. Misses sizing is for adult women, and is in even sizes: 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. Juniors is odd sizes, 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.

I knew there was a different sizing chart for juniors and misses. I didn't realize there was a 0 in juniors.

It is confusing. There is the difference between juniors and misses. And there is the difference between US and UK sizes (the UK sizes also applies to other countries as well). And in jeans they do sometimes have a measurement that I guess correlates to the waist size? So, in jeans I have size 24, but I'm sure it would confuse people if I said I was a size 24.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I don't think it's as easy to size for women this way. Men pretty much have the same hip/waist measurements. Maybe 1% of mean might have a significant difference in their waist/hip ratio.

Women, on the other hand, vary GREATLY in that area. You have the straight up and down bodies, the pears, the hourglasses and a whole bunch in between.

I agree.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I just wanna understand if you have a 23 inch waist and don't diet, why you are on this site? If you're maintaining your size 0, why do you need to count calories? It doesn't take much to not eat. I'm not being mean, I'm just confused. I really would like to know why bother with this site?

This site is not just for people who want to lose weight. You don't have to want/need to lose weight to be into fitness!

I don't know about you but once I reach my goal weight, I'm never coming to this site again. I hate, hate, hate counting calories and keeping a daily log of what I eat. I got better things to do with my time. If I can't master my eating habits by the time I lose weight, then I'm just messed up.

There's a 95% failure rate for long term weight loss success. Good luck with doing better things with your time, after you hit goal.
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My extremely skinny 13 year old wears a size 0! I would NEVER want to fit into my 13 yr olds clothes, I mean she is soooo skinny it's ridiculous, I honeslty think women over like 20 look gross and way too skinny in a size 0, go for a 3 or 5 at the least

Kind of offensive....I'm 25 and a size zero, mostly due to the fact that I'm 4'11". I'm also pear shaped with very wide hips, so the upper part of my body is even thinner than my lower. I eat a lot of food too (I average 1500 calories a day), considering my height, weight, & low activity level.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    LOL 5'3 and 111 is not out of the ordinary at all.. Thats standard college girl size
  • PiCkLeLuV
    PiCkLeLuV Posts: 274
    Options
    I've always been on the thin side, before I got lyme disease about 2.5 yrs ago I wore a size 0. My family always said I looked anorexic but I felt good, and I loved my body. I have a thin frame though, i am 5'5 and weighed around 112. For me its totally obtainable and if I can keep motivated I will be back there within another couple of months.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    LOL 5'3 and 111 is not out of the ordinary at all.. Thats standard college girl size

Yep. 5'3" with a small frame is perfectly healthy and looks quite lovely at 111. The lowest on the BMI I believe is 103 for that height.

I'm 5'3" and when I was down to 132 a couple years ago (before evil Mirena) I still most definitely had at least another 20 pounds to lose to get to where I wanted to be.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Unfortunately men's clothing often uses a vanity system as well. I hate it because it makes ordering online so much harder.

A while back I measured my waist and ordered at size 30 swimsuit assuming it would fit. When it arrived it was WAY too big. I measured it and it was closer to 34 inches than 30. I HATE vanity sizing!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/08/vanity-sizing-mens-pants_n_709004.html

A manufacturer will not make me feel better about myself by mislabeling clothes to make me feel skinny. They will just piss me off.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My extremely skinny 13 year old wears a size 0! I would NEVER want to fit into my 13 yr olds clothes, I mean she is soooo skinny it's ridiculous, I honeslty think women over like 20 look gross and way too skinny in a size 0, go for a 3 or 5 at the least
    that is such a silly argument and disrespectful. I am a size 0 sometimes 00 and I am 120 lbs. I am only 5.1 and have always been a small size. I am curvy and not skinny at all in fact many people wouldn't even guess my size. it's all down to proportions and lean body mass. I have shopped in children's clothes and bought 12 yrs old clothes because is so very difficult to buy small clothes so before you make these generic statements think about it.

Agreed. I'm over 20 and a size 00 and in no way do I feel "gross" or overly skinny.

It's mostly about proportions and bone structure. I'm 5'1, around 98 pounds with a small frame, so I hit size zero quite easily when I lost weight.

You also have to keep in mind the vanity sizing trend. I tried on my mother's vintage size 0 dresses and they fit perfectly. However, if I go try on the same size in a regular store I'm swimming in them.

Any sort of body shaming, whether it be about a bigger or smaller types, is unnecessary. Your statement is just as ridiculous as someone saying, '"I honestly think women over like 20 look gross and way too fat in a size 10, go for a 8 or 6 at least".
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's a healthy possibility if you have the body shape and frame for it. Some people are naturally built smaller than others. For me - I have broad hips and broad shoulders - I always have, even at a healthy weight. There is no way that I personally could be healthy and fit in a size 0. But I have very small friends who absolutely could and they are definitely healthy.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Oh BS. Not EVERYONE can achieve a size 0. Where is the eye roll smiley when you need it?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    This is an amusing thread. Seems like there are some size 12 girls hating on size zero girls. I'm not going to lie, I find size 0 girls to be most attractive.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    that is such a silly argument and disrespectful. I am a size 0 sometimes 00 and I am 120 lbs. I am only 5.1 and have always been a small size. I am curvy and not skinny at all in fact many people wouldn't even guess my size. it's all down to proportions and lean body mass. I have shopped in children's clothes and bought 12 yrs old clothes because is so very difficult to buy small clothes so before you make these generic statements think about it.

Agreed. I'm over 20 and a size 00 and in no way do I feel "gross" or overly skinny.

It's mostly about proportions and bone structure. I'm 5'1, around 98 pounds with a small frame, so I hit size zero quite easily when I lost weight.

You also have to keep in mind the vanity sizing trend. I tried on my mother's vintage size 0 dresses and they fit perfectly. However, if I go try on the same size in a regular store I'm swimming in them.

Any sort of body shaming, whether it be about a bigger or smaller types, is unnecessary. Your statement is just as ridiculous as someone saying, '"I honestly think women over like 20 look gross and way too fat in a size 10, go for a 8 or 6 at least".

I agree that this comment was very rude. On MFP there seems to be a lot of judgement both of thin and obese people. Cant we all just get along? Lets all just focus on our health and not make fun of people for being "too big" or "too small".

Its ridiculous to say any woman over the age of 20 would look gross as a size 0. There are plenty women who look great and are healthy/athletic at that size. Your comments are just as offensive as someone saying all women over a certain size are gross. Lets be respectful of one another.
  • lovingmyreflection
    Options
    I don't think that everyone can "achieve" a size zero. Everyone is built differently and women with wide set hip and broad shoulder would never be able to be a size zero.