Potatoes Good Or Bad?

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I once lost weight having a baked potato and filling for dinner every evening. Now, I have one once a week with beans. I find them more filling than any other food I eat, especially if I have one with chopped hard boiled egg. Sweet potatoes are nice, but nowhere near as satiating for me. And baked potatoes, have a higher level of potassium. Potatoes are natural and from the earth. Sick of people demonising even natural foods.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes are better than baked potatoes!

Especaily since you can eat all the sweet potatoes you want since their healthy and regular potatoes are not.

Uhm. No.
  • ReasonableAssumption
    Options

Especaily since you can eat all the sweet potatoes you want since their healthy and regular potatoes are not.

Uhm. No.

Its true! Regular potatoes are white and you should avoid white food because its bad for you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Uhm. No.

Its true! Regular potatoes are white and you should avoid white food because its bad for you.

Sounds legit!

What about purple potatoes?
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Looks more like a tangerine and an apple to me. Equally as bad for you.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Good with gravy. Lots of gravy.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are one of nature's perfect foods. Lots of nutrition for a small amount of calories. Unless you are staying away from carbs...potatoes - white and sweet - can be a fabulous part of your eating plan.
  • FiestyIrish
    FiestyIrish Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm Irish. A day without potatoes is like a day without breathing. :love:

But in all seriousness, they do have a lot of benefits. Just watch your portions. They're one of those foods that you feel fine when you finish and ten minutes later...BAM!...way too full.
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    They're GREAT!!
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Any food that comes in organic packaging and is comprised of a single ingredient--itself--is never bad!

You know what's bad? Anything that has "low-fat," "reduced sugar" or "natural flavoring" on the package and has ingredients with names that look like a serial code such as E471!
  • eagertoloseweight1
    Options
    Potatoes are fattening and unhealthy!
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    Ok no food is truly bad. And not every potato is created equal. Russet potatoes are probably the one your asking about. If all of the variety of potatoes had a family reunion Russet would be the fun yet reckless uncle that is loved but prolong interaction with him will probably end in trouble. Myself, I can pack on the pounds easily with this guy, which is horrible because he seems to be at every party. Chips, mash potatoes, home fries, gordita taco shells and many more. He can be healthy in moderation but since he is so cheap and readily available it is easy to over indulge. Now his smaller cousins the reds, yellow and fingerlings can be bad like any other food if you eat too much, but tend to digest closer to the complex carb area. If russet is the white bread of potatoes his cousins can be considered like wheat bread in this analogy. They are denser so you get full easier. The skin is healthier and easier eaten so you get more nutrients per ounce. They are not as big so you tend to stop eating when you finish the item. So smaller chunks allow for more chances to stop where are the russet has only one clear spot when its done. After its big self is gone. Potatoes kept the Irish alive for generations for decades so it has its place in our food culture, but it is a danger these days because we live a much more sedentary life style, and can get food with zero effort. Eat them up but beware of the quantity vs activity in your day

Excellent analogy.

Personally, since a raw small red potato, one that is 1 3/4" to 2 1/4 inch in diameter, contains about 119 calories, I don't find them worth budgeting for. I am no longer speaking to that whole side of the family.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've never understood all the potato bashing. My understanding is:

1) They're a great source of potassium which helps your body regulate sodium levels.
    2) Keep the skin on and they're high fibre.
    3) vitamin C
    4) They're less calorie dense than pasta or rice per 100g uncooked. Most potatoes in the UK are around 75kcal per 100g.
    5) they're super yummy, cheap and practical

One thing I have realised though is that I was brought up with tiny portions of potato compared to most Brits. Also, I wasn't brought up on potato waffles, chips etc. In fact, I've learnt to increase the quantity of potato I serve to make a meal a proper meal!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    They are so good!

8lZAkjs.gif

Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew.

:D
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are so versatile and yummy. We buy purple potatoes fairly regularly from our local farmers market. They are so delicious, once you get past the purple :laugh: I prefer heritage and coloured varieties over modern veges.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fattening and unhealthy!

lol
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    mmmmm spuds!

Mashed with cream and pepper...
    Boiled babies with butter...
    Roasted and tossed in Marmite...
    Baked and topped with Garlic butter, Beans & Cheese...

It's too early for this sort of talk LOL.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    IIFYM.
  • kbinsobeih
    kbinsobeih Posts: 8
    Options
    They have high potassium content only second to banana and coconut water. The added salt (sodium) can sometimes negate the potassium though.