Potatoes Good Or Bad?

Options

Replies

• Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes are better than baked potatoes!

Especaily since you can eat all the sweet potatoes you want since their healthy and regular potatoes are not.

Uhm. No.

Its true! Regular potatoes are white and you should avoid white food because its bad for you.

Why is my 8 year old on MFP? z, get off the Internet! You know the rules! LOL.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    they are good for u except they contain alot of carbs
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've never understood all the potato bashing.

I love bashing potatoes! More fun than just mashing them.

But seriously, I have baked potatoes about 3-4 times a week. I love them.

My great-grandfather left his home country because the potato crop failed. Sure, some may call it the Potato Famine, but I prefer to think that he liked spuds so much, he crossed an ocean to get non-blighted tubers.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    They are not only good, but great. Healthy, delicious...oven roasted Yellow Finn potatoes with homemade garlic chive butter from my garden, OMG. Baked sweet potato with a dab of butter and ginger, either powdered or chopped cystallized ginger, and coarse ground black pepper. Why deprive yourself of potatoes? Just fit 'em in.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. I feel full after eating a potato with some fat, and they're great for potassium and vitamin C as well. I eat the skins!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Especaily since you can eat all the sweet potatoes you want since their healthy and regular potatoes are not.

this is a joke right?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i eat potatoes a couple times a week ..as long as they fit into your calorie and macro goal for the day then go for it...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Uhm. No.

Its true! Regular potatoes are white and you should avoid white food because its bad for you.

right, everything "white" is bad for you ....good lord..

You could flip that and say sweet potatoes have more sugar in them than white potatoes; therefore, sweet potatoes are worse...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Uhm. No.

Eat in the dark. Problem solved. Physics for the win.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Uhm. No.

:laugh:
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think the reason potatoes get a bad reputation is because many people don't control the quantity and they are often prepared with other things like oil, butter, cheese etc. I often eat potatoes - I cut them up and bake the, in the oven with a little olive oil spray. They are delicious and filling. But I always make sure I weigh them first. I've been doing this all the way through Mfp and eating the, at least four times a week and I've still lost weight, toned up and become more healthy.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Uhm. No.

So...cauliflower, turnips, jicama, etc....are bad for you too? That's a ridiculous oversimplification.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a starchy vegetable and fine in moderation. Eat as much as you want, if you count it. There is no good or bad vegetable - it's a better alternative than plain white bread or another refined carbohydrate.

Have you tried purple potatoes? They taste the same but have higher levels of antioxidants.

Have you tried sweet potatoes? Much higher in vitamins than regular potatoes, tastes great mashed with a little truvia and pumpkin pie spice (like desert! )
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Look, on a forum such as this you're going to get lots of different opinions The high protein folks will tell you they're bad, the high carb/low fat folks will tell you they are good just don't put any fat on them, raw food enthusiasts will tell you they are only good if you eat them raw, etc...

Here's my opinion. Food in as close to it's natural state as possible, preferably grown with a minimum of pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics, etc.. is good for you. You have to decide for yourself how any food fits into YOUR eating plan. If you like potatoes, then have potatoes. Just make sure you are weighing them and accurately tracking them if you're counting calories. There's nothing wrong with brushing a 1/2 tsp of olive oil on your potato. I'd personally stay away from all the fake butter crap. If you like butter, use real butter or use another source of healthy fat. Mash a little avocado with plan Greek yogurt. There are dozens of healthy ways to dress up a potato. I like mine covered in chili. Enjoy and don't worry about it.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a starchy vegetable and fine in moderation. Eat as much as you want, if you count it. There is no good or bad vegetable - it's a better alternative than plain white bread or another refined carbohydrate.

Have you tried purple potatoes? They taste the same but have higher levels of antioxidants.

Have you tried sweet potatoes? Much higher in vitamins than regular potatoes, tastes great mashed with a little truvia and pumpkin pie spice (like desert! )

This is a nice response!

I looooove baked sweet potatoes mixed with about an 8th cup of chopped walnuts or pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon (if I'm feeling naughty, a little brown sugar). It's like Thanksgiving lol.

Purple potatoes are great for slicing up thin, drizzling in olive oil and baking them on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet so they don't get soggy. It's like chips, but they have a different flavor. They are also great roasted with beets and carrots :)
  • ReasonableAssumption
    Options

Uhm. No.

Your not very nice.

Someone asked about purple potatoes. Is purple white? No so purple potatoes would be ok. Except that their not real.
  • ReasonableAssumption
    Options

Uhm. No.

Thats stupid. It doesn't change the color of the potatoes.
  • ReasonableAssumption
    Options

Uhm. No.

So...cauliflower, turnips, jicama, etc....are bad for you too? That's a ridiculous oversimplification.

I have no idea what jicama is. Anyhow this is just a rule that my alternative doctor gave me for losing my last 20 pounds. It's working for me so far but it might not work for you since we all have to figure out what works for our own bodies. Try it and see if it works for you.
  • gingersnaps828
    Options
    Like you, potatoes are my weakness. ANYTHING potato. It's my favorite food group. I have a whole board on Pinterest to prove it. LOL. But I will try to make things as healthy as I can (within my cals), and I'll swap red potatoes for white potatoes sometimes. I can't do the sweet potatoes, though. Just can't.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your macros, why not?

IIFYM!