WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Michele,
    I am also ready to buy a new HRM. Let me know what you decide. We had to change the battery on mine which was act of congress and now heart rate part does not work. using heather's right now but need to get another one. went o academy to look but there are so many dont know what to get.
    Vicki M
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    To all of you who are traveling now or soon...Barbie, Vicki, Jeannie...and anyone I missed, please be safe and have a good time! (did you find your broom, Jeannie??? funny how those things happen after children have swept through!!!)

Jackie: (I am still laughing about the breast strokes in the Hot Tub!) Regarding the gut n butt exercises...are you bending the leg on the floor while you raise and lower the other? If your hip is doing something funny, don't raise it so high. You don't want to hurt one thing in an attempt to help another!!! Hope you get it worked out! I had to read several descriptions before I got that one figured out too! Have fun...HA! Glad to hear things are going well for you though

Mimi: I am sorry that you are concerned about heart rate, etc. and I do hope that it is an easy fix that won't involve too much change! Maybe your improved health means you don't need as much of the medication? Here's hoping it is a simple thing

MacMadame: so happy you got the "good" job!

Barb: I hope that you got the promised sun!

Kathy: Glad you are getting back on track...isn't it amazing what you can accomplish when you just keep at it instead of giving up? You have really done a lot to be proud of the past few months!

Jumped off my dock today to swim in the creek...summer has officially arrived here. I am trying not to eat too much today because I am tired and think I will take a day off of exercise, if I can stay within my calories. I'm ok for now. Will do the gut n butt but that's likely all!

Have a good weekend all. I am thankful to have some peace and quiet this weekend after a house full last weekend, that I can jump in the creek when it is hot, and that my tomatoes will be ripe very soon! Take care, :heart: :heart: kackie:heart::heart:
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    For all of you who have a HRM... It would be nice if the stopwatch function and the heartrate are displayed on the same screen,

Michele, I thought I remembered that a friend on another forum had a Polar F7 but turns out if was the F6. I'll pass the info along anyway...

I have the Polar F6. There are three screen you can go back and forth to when in exercise mode. One has the time you have been exercising for and your heart rate, 2nd one has calories burned and heart rate and 3rd has the zone for your heart rate: low number high number and what your current heart rate is. Mine has a chest strap too. The buttons are big enough.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Michele,
    I am also ready to buy a new HRM. Let me know what you decide. We had to change the battery on mine which was act of congress and now heart rate part does not work. using heather's right now but need to get another one. went o academy to look but there are so many dont know what to get.
    Vicki M

Let me tell you, I am getting SOOO very frustrated trying to find out if HRM meet my criteria. I can't find a phone number for Polar, I've registered on their forum but I've actually had to PM a moderator in order to get an answer, and even then they just referred me to the owner's manual. I can't find a number for Timex, either. Some of the watches might very well have the necessary functions, but they aren't listed on the website. That's why I'm asking everyone and anyone. I know what functions I want/need, now it's just a question of finding a watch that meets those requirements.

Michele

Michele
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am done com[uter keeps freakin out ammd Idon't care anymore/ I aM BACK AND YOUALL ARE GREAT. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Have lost almost 38 pounds since January 4, though I am wavering somewhat between 38 and 33 lb. My overall goal has been to lose 40 pounds, so still plugging away at it, little by little! I truly hope to reach my goal by the end of June and be in maintenance phase!
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Hi ladies, it seems like forever since I really have posted, and I guess I haven't full heartedly. I am not going to even try to keep up with everyone and everything that has been happening :laugh: I think I have missed something like 3 pages of posts, and sooo many new people to the group :noway: Anyways, welcome to all :heart:

Barb... before I forget, no, it wasn't me that won the powerball :cry: :cry: :cry: Like they say, you have to play to win :grumble:

I haven't been really eating right, but have been trying to stay in the calorie range. Logging in my food and just shaking my head :grumble: My calories haven't been that bad, but the sodium has been off the hook!!!:ohwell: It has been sooooo hot and humid here for the past few days, that excercise was almost impossible. Today the temp wasn't too crazy, but the humidity was unbelievablely high. Started to walk on the treadmill and only lasted 2 mins. Sweat was pouring like crazy. I decided to just go for a walk outside. That worked better for me. I only walked for 20 min at a moderate speed and burned 122 calories. I tried to get my SIL to go with me and she didn't want to, after I got back, she called and said she would, so I went on another 20 min walk and burned 112 cal. She had the grandkids, so we walked slower than I did the first time. It was still a walk though. Since I haven't been smoking, I am completely amazed at how much better my breathing is and how I can actually walk a few blocks without getting short of breath! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    We had some tornados south of us today. No surprise with all of this heat and humidity. My little town very seldom gets tornados, we are kinda in a valley or sorts, plus we are close to Lake Erie. It is my understanding, that is not the right area for tornados. I just heard that no one was injured, so that's good news. Some had alot of damage though.
    Well I guess I will get off of here for the night. It is after 10pm and I am getting tired. Good night to everyone :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    No, I did not find my old broom or remember to buy a new one today. Everything delayed us and altered us from our planned course. We ended up at a McDonalds we don't like to go to just in time to catch an elderly man, named John, from falling down as he was overtaken by the heat and could not make it inside to get something to drink. Anna caught his left arm as I caught his right. We ended up eating dinner with John and staying with him until he cooled off and could get on his way.

It was 98 degrees in the shade today and 105 in the McDonald's parking lot where we met up with John. Summer has come to the desert.

Have a great Sunday all and thanks for the safe wishes for our trip.

Jeannie
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Long, lazy day today. Watched the girls this morning to keep them out of the way while their dad moved wood using the Skidsteer (a large forklift). Then read a book, got up to ride the stationary bike, read some more, repeat, repeat! Did a little research on the ‘net too. I used to spend days off doing this a lot. Not the new me! One day is enough to remind me that a lazy day is just not as fun as moving around more. It’s time to join a gym and get a little more variety into my exercise life.

Robin, welcome back! I missed you. :heart: Glad you’ve got a computer but I know what a pain it is to get a new one up and running.

Holton, congrats on a great job. You are almost there. :smile:

Donna, nice to hear from you. I think 40 minutes of walking is fantastic considering the humidity. We’re around 60% humidity (high for here) and 85 degrees. And that’s too much for me! Going from cold to hot in a nano second is a shock to the body! :noway:

Jeannie, I’m glad you were there for your “neighbor.” You’re a good Samaritan. :flowerforyou:

Goodnight all. I think I’ll turn in early tonight and get a good night’s sleep. Okay, Mimi, put down that book!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone. I just got back from a party. I ate a ton but I biked there so I burned a ton too. And, yes, it's definitely HOT OUT, at least in my neck of the woods. Heck, it's not just hot here, which does happen a few weeks out of the year, but it's freaking HUMID too. That's unusual for NorCal.

I thought I was going to die on parts of my ride when I had to stop for red lights and no longer had wind to cool me down. I also ended up with a weird sunburn on just a small part of my arms. I think my sleeves much move up when I'm riding as I did put sunscreen on before I left. I have this very pale stripe on the back of one leg from when I did a race with some PT tape up that leg. I have been avoiding sunscreen on it so it gets darker and it's finally started to blend a bit. Interestingly enough, that part did not get a sunburn in spite of no sunscreen on there.

Tomorrow, my triathlon club is putting on our annual kids triathlon and I have to be there at 7am to stuff goodie bags. That means getting up at 6am or even earlier. Ugh. I will probably stay the whole day and help out in other places as needed. So another day of eating away from home which I find really hard to log accurately.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The sun FINALLY has arrived, was about 75 here today. Showers returning on Sunday, and more sun on Mon and Tues. Never got my router dealt with, but did shop for my mom. Ended up having Chinese food at the restaurant up the street with my neighbor (guy with the pug and the bull dog (and the sometime lab) and my friend Linda. She took us to dinner because we figured out why her VCR wouldn't play through the tv. An R/F Modulator installed by Best Buy 2 months ago has failed, won't power up, so tomorrow it is back to Best Buy for a replacement.

I came home and had blueberries, strawberries and some Cool Whip--my new ice cream substitute. I use the sugar free, and a little goes a long way, so it works out well.

Michelle,
    Regarding your suggestion to call the missing in action voters.--If we don't have a current phone number, and can't get one through an internet or other search, that option is not available. I have talked to plenty of people who have no idea who I am calling for because numbers have been re-issued. As I mentioned in my original post, owners have not been good about keeping us informed of their correct telephone numbers.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

I am fading quickly, so bye for now.

Barb
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Good morning all :happy: I thought I would get on here before church because the way it looks outside, I may not be on the computer later :cry: It looks like a storm is brewing for sure. It is supposed to I guess. The wind is something else too. Our lawn chairs were all flipped over this morning and had to be picked back up. What a big difference from yesterday temp. wise. Yesterday was pretty warm and the humidity was something like 89%, today it is down right chilly! I hope it waits to rain until I get back home. I have a hard time seeing the lines on the road when I drive in the rain :noway: Awww, to get older, :laugh:
    I am disappointed in myself, according to my scale, I have gained 3 lbs back :brokenheart: . What did I expect huh? That's what happens when you eat anything and everything and not drink the water. I told you I got way off track while I was not feeling well.

Jeannie... Good thing you and your friend was there to help John. If not, he may have really gotten hurt when he hit the floor. Good for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Three digit numbers for a temp is way too much for me! I know I wouldn't have even ventured outside in that kind of heat, you are brave lol

Holton.... Excellant job on the weightloss! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Michele.... How's PJ doing? I hope well.

I am so excited!!!! My birthday is coming up in 3 wks and Bill bought us some tickets to go see Alan Jackson!! As far as I am concerned, A. J. is the sexiest man alive!!! :tongue: :laugh: :love: :blushing: :tongue: You ladies just don't know what seeing him is going to do for me :laugh: I can't hardly wait. He won't be here until July 15th, but it is definately giving me something to look forward to. I hope the seating will be good. He is going to be at the lake erie crushers stadium and we have field seats. I think they are about 4 rows back. I also hope I can take pics.

Well I guess I will go for now. It is pretty gloomy and dark out :cry: I already need a nap and only been up for 1 1/2 hrs!! :laugh: :laugh: jk :wink:

Donna

P.S. Maybe quitting smoking has added some of the weight gain? I actually forgot that detail.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.
    So my new computer is running smoothly now. I had to get a new one because it was going to cost almost as much to repair the old one and it would take 8 weeks to get it. I couldn't be without for that long. So I have decided to slow down my exercise pace for a while. it may slow my loss but that is okay too. (i lost 2 more pounds this morning after slowing down last thursday:happy: ) I am going to focus on enjoying what I am doing instead of going for the most calories burned. I am really enjoying the strength training and it doesn't burn that much but I feel so much stronger.

I am envious of those of you who are having warm weather. Like Barb said it was sunny yesterday and up in my area we got all the way up to 69 degrees but it is rainy and ugly today again. I am really ready for some summer please. We planted some herbs and flowers yesterday and I bought a comunar apple tree to try.

I hope you all have a happy healthy Sunday.

PS sorry for the post last night, It wasn't so much the computer as it was the tequila:drinker: :drinker: We had home made skirt steak fajitas. Yum!
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

Some of you MIGHT remember me and some will not. I have not fallen off the face of the earth. I know Barb knows that ;-)
    I accidentally called Barb yesterday while intending to call my hubby who was lost (or was I the one lost?) somewhere at a garage sale needing me to come with the pickup to pick up a loveseat for our kids. Barb's name comes right before Bill so since I didn't have my glasses on I called her. It was good talking with you Barb.

I have been doing alright. Had some ups and downs but am on track again. I haven't even looked at my profile to see if the weight is accurate but wanted to come on the thread and say hi. I don't have time to read for the whole month so far so I'm going to start here and try to visit daily.

Our grandchildren are flying here from Arizona tomorrow so will be occupied being grammy to my babes. They are 11 and 9 so not so much babies but they are still my babes.

Anyone know what brand of Peanut Butter at Trader Joes is natural but low cal? I heard someone talking about it but didn't catch the name.

Have a great Sunday. I'll TRY to get back to read the thread later.

Esther
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

Some of you MIGHT remember me and some will not. I have not fallen off the face of the earth.

Esther

Hey Esther....I was just thinking about you this week and wondering how you were doing! How spooky is that! Glad to hear from you!!!:flowerforyou:

BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all .....
    Bit cooler here in N. Wales plus a bit of a breeze! Still able to get out the summery clothes. :glasses: I hope you've all enjoyed your weekends.
    Scales were good again ....not counting any chickens though! :wink: Tooooo many calories to log!!

The only exercise today has been bed making for my Sister ... WHEN she arrives from France.:grumble: I do get cross ...you'd think she would like to spend a few hours for a couple of days with her Mother, wouldn't you? We'd hoped she'd be here today but no. I know she's visiting her daughter too and will be "Dropped off by my niece at 8.30 tomorrow morning. Said niece lives 15 miles or so from us and hasn't seen her grandmother for years!!:angry: (Just remembered what I said on my "Thankful" list ....about having a great family ...there when you need them! Rose coloured specs come to mind with that branch of the family!!!) ...musn't grumble must I.
    Anyway ...she'll be able to see mum tomorrow for a few hours and then she's off South to see our Father. He's none too well either but my step mother has all under control thank goodness. We too, will see them ,but next weekend for the Christening and birthday bashes!! ...Can't wait!

:happy: Also went shopping ...on my own today to get DH's birthday present. Usual shirt and aftershave .Oh...and a new cap. It gets harder every year .What does everyone else get your other half
    I also had to buy a new white Bra ...mine had a fight with the rubber seal in the washing machine and sadly came off worse. That's what I'm owning up to ...to DH anyway!!.:bigsmile: I did get a great little short sleeved cardi and a T shirt too but they'll be "introduced " to the wardrobe at a later stage!! ....:laugh: Those old things ...I've had them for ages!!

:drinker: So ...it's bye from me.
    Back tomorrow
    cheers everyone
    :heart: Jackie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Esther (Grammymax for those who don't know her)

If you use the thread search function at top of page and put in "low cal peanut butter" in the search field, you will get a listing of topics that might help.

Here is a link to one that seemed to cover it pretty well. I think the product you might be thinking of is called PB2, but there are others:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83670-low-cal-peanut-butter?hl=low+cal+peanut+butter#posts-1151090
    It is raining here, BIG surprise--NOT:grumble:

I woke up at 6a with the headache from h3ll, so went back to bed until 10a. I THOUGHT I was going to do a computer repair project for one friend and hair color on another, but the one needing hair intervention called to say it is official, she has a cold. Since I don't want it, I am staying away. Then the other person called to put our meeting off until Thursday afternoon.

Neither one of these is a bad thing, as it enabled me to NOT have to rush around this morning trying to make the 11:30 Mass, so I will be going tonight instead.

Bradley "the Terror" got hold of a new bag of chocolate covered berries that I had purchased at Costco. I swear he can fly, because I can't see HOW he reached them. Anyway, I am sure each little piggy had a few of them, but Bradley is the one who got sick (Maybe he is not part goat after all-:noway: ) So now I have a spot to treat on my rug. Not the first, won't be the last. He is sleeping now, so when he wakes up, we will see about some easy on the tummy food options. If he doesn't eat up by this afternoon, I will take him in to the vet. His energy level was normal this morning, so I don't think he is in any danger.

I THOUGHT I had Monday pretty well planned. I was SUPPOSED to go to a business-related weekly meeting at 11:30. Then, this morning, I looked at the calendar and realized the dental appointment that I swore was on TUESDAY, is really tomorrow at noon. Since my meeting is about 25 miles away, I am obviously, going to miss it. Not the end of the world, just sent an email to let the others know I will be MIA. They will be able to go on without me, but it is annoying that I didn't figure it out until today.:grumble:

Oh well, as my mom says "Old age sucks, but it beats the alternative.":noway: :laugh: :laugh:

There is a sad story going on locally. A second grade boy visited his school on Friday morning to show off his science project to his step mom. She waves good-bye to him. He is IN the school, with a lot of other kids and parents. She leaves and when she goes to meet his school bus, in the afternoon, he isn't on it.

She calls the school and finds out he was marked absent for the day. She calls 911, and they have been searching ever since, and have found nothing. The FBI is involved now. The non-custodial parent is not suspected, in fact she immediately travelled from the southern part of Oregon to Portland when she learned what had happened. The school is in a somewhat rural wooded area, so they are turning over every rock for clues, but have come up with nothing, and here it is Sunday morning. I am sorry to say I don't have a good feeling about the outcome of this. Please keep Kyron Horman, the missing child, and his family in your prayers.

I have to go in search of breakfast. Better late than never.

Barb
  • robnbrwn
    robnbrwn Posts: 18
    Options
    How do you add the goals to your posts? I think if I wrote down and aimed for one goal a month, like it seems y'all are doing, I might be able to make it. So, how do I set it into MFP?

Robin
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!! Just checking in. :bigsmile: I haven’t read most of the post:blushing: but will try to later.:wink:

Yesterday I went to the store to do clothes shopping and I couldn't believe what I was fitting into!! :bigsmile: I use to be an 18 - 16 and now my jeans are a 10! I was so excited!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

When I came home and showed my younger daughter, she insisted on taking before and after pictures with her phone camera. :blushing: The only problem was,,,,that my BIG clothes were my small clothes from August because I gave all the original BIG clothes away.:noway: Yet, the "small clothes" were so big now that I took the pictures with them.:bigsmile:
    Then my daughter insisted that I put on my new size 10 capris and size Med shirt...and take more pictures.:blushing:
    It might sound like I'm bragging but I simply forget how much of a differance 47 lbs makes.:noway:
    So when she downloads them onto the computer, I'll share them with you!:bigsmile:
    I found that looking at Barbie and some of the other women's before pictures was very encouraging especially when I was discouraged....so along with feeling please about showing you....I hope to give encouragement to anyone who needs it!:wink:

Believe me, when I started last August, I was very determined .......but knew my past history with weight loss. :grumble: But taking it just one day at a time, exercising, getting up....when I screw up....tracking food and...drinking tons of water everyday....my goodness...it's hard for me to believe that I've stuck with it for 10 months!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    If I can do it ANYONE CAN DO IT!!!!!!

So hang in there if you're struggling. :wink: I STILL struggle....:angry: but the difference is....I GET UP AND KEEP GOING!!!

Have a great Sunday and remember we can only make a difference……today!!!:flowerforyou:

BirdieM:happy:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Ladies, we think it's time. I'm telling you because I know that my daughter won't find out from you. PJ is hanging in there, but he isn't a happy kitty. His gums look grey. He's just laying in the back bedroom. So, tomorrow afternoon we're going to take him to the vet to:cry::cry: :cry: :cry: have him put to sleep. We're going to tell dd#1 that we were taking him to get his blood sugar tested since the emergency vet was concerned that he doesn't get hypoglycemic and on the way there, he had a stroke. We had to take the top off the carrier and we could see that he was in serious trouble. The vet knows us, so I'm sure he'll corroborate with us on this. He knows how dd#1 feels about PJ and so does the emergency vet. I would like to hold him in the car on the way there, but now that I think of it, maybe one of the nurses will see him, perhaps it would be better if he was in the carrier. My heart is breaking, but he's not happy at all and we know that there's no hope that he'll ever get back the way he was. He's had a respiratory infection for quite a few days now, it just kills me to hear him breathing. We know that she feels in a way that we're just looking for a reason to put him down, but that's not the truth. We want him to be happy, and he's not happy at all. I think it's better to have this story. Vince printed out some info about strokes in cats, and one of the contributing factors is heart disease (which he has) along with diabetes (which he is). We're going to take the carrier with us just in case Bryan comes home and sees it. He'll put 2 and 2 together.

mimi - the problem I see with the F6 is that if you need to replace the battery, you have to send it back to Polar. Now is the reason you send it back so that they can insure the waterproofness? Not like I'm going to be wearing it in the pool, so that's not a biggie to me. Or....is it because it takes a real special battery? Or....could it be because when you take the back off, the watch resets itself and special equipment is needed to set it correctly? I don't know, that's why I'm leaning towards the F7. I did NOT want one without a chest strap, the ones where it is just the watch are way too inaccurate.

WTG Holton!

Jeannie - that was so nice of you to help John the way you did.

I can handle the heat, but not the humidity. I remember one time when we were bringing some of our things down here to NC, it was 102 degrees, but I could stand it because there wasn't any humidity. Now the local people complain of the humidity, but they don't know what humid is! When we lived in PA, the executive director of the Y was from Asheville. I remember commenting to him in August "oh, you must be used to this heat". His answer to me was "to the heat, but not this humidity!"

MacMadame - you never cease to fail to amaze me!

It rained really hard when I left for church last night, but by the time I got out, there wasn't any rain at all. I didn't realize it, but there were about 18 kids who made their First Communion at that mass. This lady came to sit in my pew and I turned to the side so she could get past me, then she said to me "can I sit on the end, I'm serving". So I just said "so am I". Actually, the third person didn't show up so someone else in our row served.

Barb - will keep Kryon and his family in my prayers.

Awesome Birdie! How cool is it to fit into smaller size clothes? I just went shopping, so many stores have this big missy dept. but a tiny petite dept. I can sometimes get by with the shorts in the missy dept, but not the pants and lately not the shirts either. Even in petites you'll find lots of M, L, and XL size, but very few S. As a matter of fact, the other day I saw a shirt that I liked but they only had a M and L. The M was a bit too big for me, so what I did was take the S off the manequin, that fit me so I bought it, and put the M on the manequin.

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Tomorrow I think I'll take the water class at the Y. Vince has a baleball game to go to, so probably around 3 or 4 we'll go to the vet:cry::cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope everyone has a great day!

Michele