WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

Some folks add second tickers to their signatures. I'm not quite sure how. When you find out, let me know!

Good luck!

To add a second ticker--copy and paste the link for the ticker into your signature box but be warned--you only get a certain amount of space in your signature!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Esther welcome back. So good to hear from you. Hope to hear more from you.
    Birdie great job. Size 10 that is awesome. You look wonderful. I know you feel wonderful. There is no feeling like clothes fitting and especially in a smaller size. I need to remember that when I want to overeat.
    Barb how scary going missing from school. I hope they find him okay. Let us know what happens.
    I am tired so short post tonight. See you tomorrow ladies.
    Vicki M
  • arldtwanda
    Options
    Hi, my name is Wanda and I have just joined the 50+group. I don't really know anything about this so you all will have to be patient with me. This has not been an easy decision for me to take even a baby step like this one, but I'm hoping that there is someone out there that will kinda take me by the hand, and hopefully give me the support that I feel I am so needing.
    Here's a little about myself. I am 55, 6yrs divorced with 2 grown daughters and 5 wonderful grandchildren, and for the past 3yrs I have been in such a down place that I can't seem to pull myself out of. Instead of doing something about my weight, I find myself going back to the kitchen to get something else to eat, eat it and then get even more upset and depressed that I don't have the will power to help myself out. I'm not trying to put a damper on everyones progress, I just wanted to share some totally honest facts. If there is anyone out there that can relate to what I feel or am going thru, I would love to hear from you.
    Wanda
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    60 is usually seen in athletes.
    Or even lower. Some really famous endurance-type athletes have heart rates in the low 40s! I'm kind of jealous as I've only managed to get down to the high 50s and that's only if I'm sitting.

I'm sorry about PJ but I think it's much kinder to put them to sleep than to keep them alive when they are suffering.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Wanda and I have just joined the 50+group. I don't really know anything about this so you all will have to be patient with me. This has not been an easy decision for me to take even a baby step like this one, but I'm hoping that there is someone out there that will kinda take me by the hand, and hopefully give me the support that I feel I am so needing.
    Here's a little about myself. I am 55, 6yrs divorced with 2 grown daughters and 5 wonderful grandchildren, and for the past 3yrs I have been in such a down place that I can't seem to pull myself out of. Instead of doing something about my weight, I find myself going back to the kitchen to get something else to eat, eat it and then get even more upset and depressed that I don't have the will power to help myself out. I'm not trying to put a damper on everyones progress, I just wanted to share some totally honest facts. If there is anyone out there that can relate to what I feel or am going thru, I would love to hear from you.
    Wanda

Welcome Wanda!!

You have come to the right place for support. I see you joined in February, and this is the first post you have ever done. I know it took courage to make the decision to change your life. This is not about a "diet"--rather making good choices about food and physical activity--getting healthier, FEELING healthier, and as a result, FEELING BETTER about being YOU, and as an added benefit--WEIGHT LOSS will come along with this lifestyle change.

I looked at your profile, and thought you haven't filled much out, it appears you want to lose about 135 lbs. Let me tell you a little bit about me, as we have similar goals.

I started out in the same neighborhood in April of 2009. I decided in the week following my birthday that the best gift I could give myself was to lose 120 lbs--or about 1/2 of myself. (I had the idea I could do this in a year. That was overly optimistic as you will see.)

So, I changed what I was eating and how much, and I began a walking program. Last summer, I called myself the "walking fool" :noway: :laugh: :laugh: In 7 months and three weeks, I lost 50 lbs. I had health issues in December, and in January of this year, I sustained a head injury as a result of a fall. Through all this, I didn't really lose any more in pounds, BUT, I maintained, and I lost inches, and as of my latest shopping trip, I am in a size 12 pant (at JC Penney) and a medium t-shirt. Considering I used to wear size 24W pant and 42-44 tops, this is a bit of a change. I am starting the 3rd replacement phase of my wardrobe. Goodwill and other 2nd hand clothing sources has enabled me to continue to wear correctly sized clothing without making a major investment.

I have succeeded to this point by adopting the philosophy that I can eat ANYTHING as long as I plan for it. Planning the day's food is second nature to me now. I have been able to eat out and still lose--most of the time. Sometimes my choices are not great, and I pay the price, but that is part of life.

If I can give you some tips to keep you on the right track so you will achieve some success, it will build on itself. So here goes. Fiber and protein are your friends. All fat is not created equal. Animal fat should be kept to a minimum, and trans fats should be avoided. There are "good fats" --Omega 3's--from fish; also avocado and olive oil are good sources of fat. Despite all the "low fat" hoopla, we NEED fat, in order to feel satisfied, and for healthy skin and hair. Fiber can be found in veggies, fruits and in whole grain breads, brown rice.

I could go on, but there are others here who will also have good tips for you as well. Let us get to know you. Adding some info to your profile will help in that regard. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and most importantly, if you have a bad day, DON'T GIVE UP!! Everyone on this site is human and has made a poor choice of food at one time or another. It happens, that's life. The difference is, every day is a new day, so if you mess up, you carry one and learn from your mistake.

You will find us talking about "climbing back in the wagon" and there are always lots of arms waiting to help pull you back in if you need a boost.

For myself, although I weigh what I did about 15 years ago, I still intend to go lower. I don't know if I will every make 120 lbs., but even if I get to 100, I will still be at a healthy weight for my height.

Good luck Wanda!!!:flowerforyou: And if you need some more inspiration, take a look at the pics in BirdieM's profile!

Wow Birdie, you look fantastic!!! It is amazing how losing almost 50 lbs. can take years off your appearance, isnt' it. WTG!!!

Kathy (pmjs),
    Thanks for the info about "flakes." Those Cadbury "flakes" sound better than any silly old snowstorm. When I made my comment, I was thinking of maybe the ice cream server having dandruff!!!:noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Chocolate is MUCH better!!

Sadly, they still haven't found any trace of the 7 year old boy that disappeared from his school on Friday morning. We had rain al day, and with the accumulation over the past couple of weeks, they just announced that a freeway ramp just west of downtown Portland is closed due to a mudslide. The Monday commute is NOT going to be pleasant for a lot of people. I am beginning to think it is fortunate that I won't be driving through that area to go to a scheduled meeting. Thank goodness for my dental appointment, and my dentist is so close I can WALK there.

Well, I am needing to get to bed soon, so BFN

Barb
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Good evening ladies.

It's still raining here in the desert. Slugs are eating my veggies. They wiped out my casaba melon and a cucumber and are munching on the peppers. SLUGS:sad: :sad: :sad: IN THE DESERT! :explode: :explode: :explode: Think the clouds are bringing them over from the coast, and raining them down on us. :mad: Cayenne pepper, hot sauce and pre-dawn slug patrols are the strategy for now. Put out a beer trap but afraid the rain will dilute its drawing power. Banana peels also drawing some away from the straw garden. YUCK! SLUGS!!!:tongue::tongue: :tongue:

-Barb, sun roof, me too! Opened it yesterday during the breif sunbreak, parked in the garage and forgot to close it. Drove to church with it open, and didn't notice. Parked for longer than usual due to monthly counting duties. Good thing the damp pants happened on the homeward leg...Sorry Pepper lost a tooth at his dental. Dixie and Robbie came through theirs with no extractions, but lots of skin bumps removed. None of the bumps were bad, but both pooches look like Frankenhunds with their shaved bits and stitches. Those darned routers. You do know its gremlins that change the encryption passwords, right?
    Yikes Bradley and the piggies got into the chocolate? Good thing it came back up right away. Hope he's all better now.
    Thanks for sharing your journey so far with Wanda. What a great reminder of how far you've come! :drinker:
    -Vickie M, heart goes out to your DIL. Hope she'll be able to spend time with her friend's young children. As they get older it will mean so much for them to be able to talk to someone who knew and loved their mom. Safe travels to you, Jeannie, Barbie and anyone else who's hitting the road.
    -BirdiM, you must be proud of your daughters, and of yourself for doing such a great job. AND WOW Size 10 from 18? Con VERY gratulations! You make me believe it IS possible. Red suits you!
    -Barbie, Rodney Yee, yumm, eye candy with calorie deficit benefits! Thanks for the reminder, I'll dust off his Abs Yoga as a reward when I attain 30 reps of guttnbut. A whole day of Line Dancing, am I jealous of all the fun you'll have!
    -Cathy, happy 50th! 51 lighter by 51? Great goal! WANT it and you'll DO it!
    -Jackie, Hot tub giggles! Hip clunk, no, click . . . sometimes. Be careful not to raise the leg too high. Just a few inches off the ground so your calf is parallel with the floor.
    -ainslieglen, How nervewracking to called back to the Drs office. Keeping fingers crossed.
    -mimi7grands, keeping fingers crossed your rx can be reduced now.
    -Tiarapants, what kinds of books does your DH write! Well done for sneaking in that 15 mins on treadmill. No wonder you're feeling young and lively!
    -MacMadame, I missed hearing about the cool project at work, Congratulations on getting the assignment!
    -Jeannie, Curious, when we had teenagers no brooms or any other cleaning implements EVER went missing. How fortunate John was to have you and Anna for angels.
    -Michele, So very sorry about PJ. Know you are doing the kindest thing for him. Not sure about trying to keep it from dd, tho, that kind of thing can backfire. Will keep you all in my prayers.
    -Holton, Wow you're almost there! Well done!
    -Donna, Alan Jackson tickets, I'm jealous! Tho' I'm a little bit more of a Toby Keith fan... ;)
    -RJ What's a comunar apple tree? Our dwarf white peach has little peaches on it already, despite the constant gloomy skies and undesertlike rain. Fajitas and tequila sounds great! SIZE 8 JEANS? eeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Esther, welcome back! I'm jealous you have Trader Joe's, we don't
    -dansdeb, You might be surprised. Sometimes the extra vacation activity offsets any little splurges. BUT if you feel depressed, get moving. Fun activities are wonderful ways to change mood.
    -Kathy, thanks for the flake research, just as well I prefer my chocolate dark, that way I won't be tempted to put a flake in my next ice cream (actually I've switched to lowfat frozen yogurt and like it just as well!)

Welcome newbie's elmct57 robnbrwn arldtwanda and any others I missed. It wasn't intentional, just tired old eyes.

Gratitudes 1-brief break in rain yesterday afternoon, 2-being able to do what I want when I want most of the time (thanks caminogirl), 3-hot showers, 4-cozy mystery writers, 5-DH spoiling me in the hot tub (Honest I wrote this before I read Jackie's arm exercise post).

Gutt'n'butt, 3rd try, day 2
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Okay--I should be fixing dinner but I just HAD to find out what "ice cream with a flake in it" was. Here's what I found:

"Cadbury Flake is a bar of thinly folded milk chocolate produced in the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and South Africa by Cadbury UK.

The product was first developed in 1920 and was founded by an employee of Cadburys. When the excess from the moulds was drained off, it fell off in a stream and created folded chocolate with flaking properties.[1]

Since 1922 in Britain and Ireland ice cream vendors serve '99s' which are vanilla soft serve ice cream in a wafer cone in which a half size Flake bar is inserted in the top. Screwballs are similar but have a plastic cone rather than a wafer.

As of 2008, Cadbury Flake is now sold in Canada."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Flake

Sounds really good--I'm glad I haven't found any here!
    :laugh: :laugh: Hi all - sorry for not saying that the flake in the ice cream was chocolate. Thanks to Kathy for the explanation. So no it wasn't snowflakes, dandruff or anything like that - :bigsmile:

Welcome to Wanda :flowerforyou: I think Barb said it all, there are so many friends in this group offering support help and advice, and if you have a bad day :frown: they are here to encourage you never to give up. You have already taken your first baby step to join the group so stick with us and soon you be making healthier choices.:smile:

I went over my calories yesterday mainly because I was unable to log my food until late in the evening, and because of the "picnic" we had after the race. I only ate sandwiches for most of the day, plus the "99 ice cream" and let me tell you next time I will choose a plain ice cream without the chocolate :laugh: Can't believe the calories in a little ice cream. :frown: But this is all about making healthy choices and it isn't until you know the calorie content of food items that you can make healthier choices.

Better get ready to go into town. I had my hair cut on Saturday and I don't like it so wonder if I could get in somewhere to get it thinnned out a bit and shaped as at the moment I think I look as if I had a bowl put on my head and they've cut around it. :huh: :huh:

:flowerforyou: Meant to say welcome to all newbies.

Take care everyone - Michelle thinking of you today :heart:

Viv :flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, All,

WOW, BIRDIE, you look wonderful! Way to go and such an inspiration to all of us. I know you must feel great too!:drinker:

Wanda: Welcome. You have come to the right place. Most everyone here has been where you are and just checking in and taking baby steps gets you out of that "place" and moving towards a better one. I wish you great success on this journey...just stay on it no matter what. Barb's advice is good advice. And lots of others have been where you are and in a better place now. Hang in there...you CAN do it!:flowerforyou:

AuntieBK: Sorry to hear about the slugs! I have had problems with FIDDLER crabs eating my tomatoes and peppers! And no one can tell me what to do...I don't think there is anything. they live here and they burrow in and come up the plants. It is a constant battle with a garden isn't it? Hope you get to eat more than they do!

Michelle: I am thinking of you all today. I am so sorry.

Got out in the boat yesterday afternoon with DH and went to a little calm area off a little island to jump in and swim. Summer is here and I am thankful that we can enjoy it! I did my walk/run yesterday morning and can now RUN as many minutes as I can walk...well...maybe jog is a better word. Anyway, I am trying to add a minute of "jogging" each week and it has worked. Amazing what our old bodies can do if we keep at it!!!

Have a good week, everyone. Take care, :heart: kackie:heart:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Hello from Colorado where it is almost as hot as at home. We thougth we'd get a break from the heat.

Our rabbit, Peter died Saturday night. We had to bury him Sunday before we left on our trip. He was very old for a rabbit and we will miss him dearly.

Prayers go out to Michelle and her family for PJ and to the missing boy. I hope they find him.

Welcome to everyone new and happy thoughts to all for good choices today.

That's all I have time for this morning.

Jeannie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I am back from my camping trip. We had a great anniversary (thank you all for the well wishes). Spending time alone with hubby just relaxing in our lawn chairs was pretty awesome. I tried several new grilling recipes, and ate well all week. Amazingly enough, I didn't even gain from eating the two slices of pan pizza that I had last night when I was too tired to cook when arriving home. Some of my kids made it for the weekend, and I had a wonderful time playing with the five little ones. (two five year olds, a four year old, one almost 3, and one 2). Michele - My husband and I have graduated to a popup. The kids are still in tents.

A special welcome to Wanda. I remember my first very timid post, after having been on MFP for 4 months. I was also very shy, but apparently I have gotten over that. Just keep reading the thread, and try to post sometimes. It really does get easier, and the women on this thread are amazingly supportive!

Today I have to get really busy as my daughter and I are having a "music camp" for children at church every day for the rest of the week. Looks like we have 14 registered, so I have got to get it organized, and get some music planned. This is realy my first day of being home since school was out and I don't have to go to work, so I am having a little trouble getting myself moving. Have a great Monday all, and here's to smart choices!
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I did better eating in the last two days, so for my ‘official’ weigh-in I was back to where I was 2 weeks ago when I last recorded. I hate to record the gains – is that terribly bad?? I’d rather wait them out and record only the losses. :smile: Either way, a good sleep last night and a good walk this morning with the dog, so I’m feeling I’m back on track.

:flowerforyou: Welcome Wanda, the first post is the hardest - after that, when people actually answer you, you feel less alone and it gets easier! :smile:

Barb(weaklink) - Thank-you for sharing your journey with us - it is so encouraging to those of us just starting to know of the successes of others. Your point about planning your food is an excellent one - I know that rj does this too - and when I do it I am way more in control, have a more successful day and calmer about the whole process. Walking is my main exercise at the moment, so it was also great to hear that you’ve done well with it too. :flowerforyou:

Birdie – Thank-you for sharing your photo’s, it is great to see the changes! You look fantastic! :flowerforyou:

Michele – My heart goes out to you and your family – it is a hard decision to come to, this I know. :heart:

rj – Glad you have connectivity again, now if the tequila is in those skirt steak fajitas, please do share the recipe! :laugh:

Donna – Yeah for not smoking! Yeah for breathing better! I’m very happy for you, I know what it is like to be short of breath and it’s very disconcerting. :flowerforyou:

Prayers too that little Kyron Horman is found soon.

Have a good day everyone! And drink that water! :drinker: glug glug glug!! :laugh: :laugh:
    Cathy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

It is a cold rainy morning. surprise :angry:

Cathy, the tequila was only for consumption while making the fajitas not in them. Cabo Wabo Anejo very smooth very good.

Antiebk I hate slugs :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: I live by Sluggo because up here we get lots of slugs. My apple tree is a columnar tree meaning it doesn;t branch out. it is just one tall stick with leaves and apples on it. kind of strange but very small and great for a container on the deck since I have a postage stamp sized lot.

Michele, my thoughts are with you today and PJ. I am sure he will love kitty heaven and be at peace and happy.

Wanda, planning is key for me. feel free to look at my food diary and see how I plan out a week in advance. I too was really depressed when I came here. My cure was exercise. it makes me feel good and in control and has really knocked out my depression.

Barb I hope they find the boy.

welcome back Mary

Mimi I hope the meds get reduced. My heart rate is 63 ish and I have seen it go down to 57 when I am watching tv. :heart:

Jeannie sorry to hear about Peter Rabbit. I remember when I had a rabbit (her name was Grisabelle)and it passed away I totally freaked my then husband out when I called him and told him the "rabbit died" he though I was telling him I was pregnant.

This is the third time I have posted this but I keep hitting something on the computer that takes me back a screen. I hit it with my left palm. I have to figure this out.

Anyway to everyone I didn't single out I hope you have a wonderful week.

Now its time to eat a healthy breakfast and hop back up on that wagon!!!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    G'mornin' All,

Viv,
    Sounds like you had a good weekend. If you read this before you go to get your haircut revised...most stylists here in the States want you to be satisfied w/your haircut and will "fix" an unsatisfactory one for no additional charge, so unless you don't trust the person who did your first cut, you might want to go back and have them give it another go....just a thought.

kackie,
    Your profile says you live between MT and SC. I am going to go out on a limb and say that I hope you are enjoying your time in SC, because I have NEVER heard of FIDDLER CRABS in MT,:noway: and there aren't too many "islands" there either!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry I have no ideas about how to get rid of those pesky crabs, either. We have slugs around here, also, and moles can be a problem.

My friend Rosemary reminded me of that character that Bill Murray played in the movie "Caddyshack" when she was battling a mole invasion last year in her yard and garden. They can be very frustrating. I remember when I was a child, my mom was battling moles in our garden, and she got assistance from an unexpected source.

Samantha, my siamese cat, was a very effective mole catcher. Unfortunately, she had a habit of bringing her "prizes" to the front porch:noway: --a bit disconcerting to say the least!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jeannie,
    Sorry to hear about poor old Peter Rabbit. I am sure he is enjoy "Bunny Heaven" but I know only too well--it is tough to lose a long time family member.

Mary,
    Glad you had a fun anniversary and a good visit with your family. Good luck with the music camp. Hope everything goes "harmoniously":bigsmile:

Cathy(caminogirl),
    I am like you. I don't like to make the ticker go "backwards." I did put mine back after I couldn't make my lowest weight again for about two months :grumble: :angry: but I re-adjusted when I got there again. If I don't stay away from the sodium, I am going to have to consider another re-adjustment:blushing: Thank you for your kind words about my post to Wanda.

Sadly, there is still no change in the status of Kyron Horman--still missing. The possibility of kidnapping is more and more in the minds of everyone. I heard this morning there is now a facebook page for him--FYI for those of you on that site.

Birdie,
    Even though I commented on your new pic on the Golden Sneakers thread, you look so good, I will say it again WTG!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

RJ(Robin),
    I played around with my laptop to try and make a page go backward when in the posting window and I can't replicate what is happening, so not sure what you are hitting. Meanwhile, the solution for not losing posts is to compose them in wordpad, notepad or a word processing program. Then paste them over to the posting window and add your smileys. This way all your hard work doesn't go "poof" if you happen to hit that "mystery key."

You are right, that exercise does help with depression. I have to give myself a swift kick occasionally to remind me of that fact.:blushing: As for the tequila, it reminded me of that saying I have seen on a t-shirt at some point: "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila ...FLOOR" :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As for your rabbit story--TOO FUNNY!!:laugh: :laugh:

Bradley is doing fine. By last evening, he was eating with great enthusiasm. The newest doggie problem around here is the fact that I now have different food for EACH little piggy. Pepper has to eat a special diet that helps prevent crystals in the urine, which can lead to kidney stones and urinary infections. Mai Li and Bradley both think that food tastes and smells great, so of course they want to "help" him eat it!:laugh: Since Bradley's weight was down when he had his checkup, the vet suggested he might do better on an "easier to digest" food, so now HE is on a prescription diet as well. As soon as I opened that bag last night, two other little noses were right there, eager to "help" him eat.

So mealtimes around here are going to be interesting if last night is any indication. I put Pepper's food out for him, and had to shoo Mai Li away from it. Then I put Bradley's food down, and Pepper was trying to get into that dish, along with Mai Li. She had her usual food, but was more interested in Bradley's or Pepper's. It looks like mealtime around here will have to be renamed "Feeding time at the zoo!!:noway: :laugh:

Just heard something on the tv: At any given time 1/2 the women in the US are on a "diet" but 95% of them FAIL:frown: :sad: :sad: Yoga helps people eat mindfully. After 8 weeks of yoga, participants lost an average of 6 lbs. There is a hormone called PYY which relates to satiety, and interestingly, 60 minutes on a treadmill can increased the level of it, whereas the same amount of weight training doesn't have any effect on PYY levels, so once again, for weight loss cardio is your friend.:drinker: :drinker:

Here is a little more about PYY from the medterms.com website:
    "PYY: A hormone concerned with hunger and the lack of hunger (satiety). Soon after eating, PYY is secreted into the blood by cells lining the lower small intestine (the ileum) and the colon. The release of PYY begins before nutrients arrive in the lower small intestine and the colon. The further release of PYY is stimulated by nutrients within the lower small intestine and the colon. PYY decreases food intake by inhibiting gut motility. It acts as an "ileal brake" to cause a sense of satiety. PYY is a peptide."

BTW, if you are lurking out their Barbiecat, we miss you. Haven't seen you since Friday on here, but I know you had your weekend line dancing marathon, so I guess we will see you when we see you.

Well, I have to go and get my day started, so everyone have as good a Monday as you can.

Barb
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone .....

Very quick in and out today. Sister here and a lot of catching up to do!!
    Back tomorrow!!
    xxxxx
    :heart: Jackie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    OH...and WELCOME Robin 2...you are in the right place! Just log on every day and hang in there...you will find lots of support and inspiration here! :drinker:

Barb: You are right...we are in SC now...along with the fiddler crabs, raccoons and lots of other garden challenges! This is home, but we love MT too and spend late summer out there hiking, fishing (and battling MARMOTS...who like to move my rocks around and chew on the wood deck supports) Wow...I sound like I don't like animals. I really do...just not the ones who eat my plants or my house!

Just meant to add a welcome that I missed earlier. Happy Monday, Kackie:heart::heart: :heart:
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Greetings all! Welcome Wanda and any other new posters.

Birdie, I checked out your pics... You do look fabulous!! Way to go! Even showed them to my DH as he is trying to lose weight as well and can use some good old inspiration!!

I've been slacking off the last couple of days...not really exercising my 30 minutes because I've been working outdoors so darn much. The problem is that my regular exercise is the first thing I always let go of, then it's the calorie logging and accountability. So, today I am pulling myself up by short hairs, as the saying goes, and getting back into my groove.

Hope everyone has a great Monday. Later.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    .....Barb: You are right...we are in SC now...along with the fiddler crabs, raccoons and lots of other garden challenges! This is home, but we love MT too and spend late summer out there hiking, fishing (and battling MARMOTS...who like to move my rocks around and chew on the wood deck supports) Wow...I sound like I don't like animals. I really do...just not the ones who eat my plants or my house!..., Kackie:heart::heart: :heart:

Maybe I need to send Mai Li and Bradley out there to you for vacation. Between the two of them, they could make so much noise the critters would run the other way!!:noway: Only one problem, you would probably be running too--from the noise!:laugh: :laugh: No point in sending Pepper along. He would just want to make friends with all of them:heart::ohwell:

Just popping in for a sec..am on my mom's pc.

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :heart: Ainslieglen: I feel like you about reading post for hours!!! I skip a few days and I can’t carch up!

:heart: Jackie: Regarding your mum, I agree that dementia is a cruel thing! I once said that I was afraid it was setting in because of how forgetful I am, but was told that as long as you are asking about dementia…then you can’t have it. So I suppose the hardest part is on you. She’s lucky to have you! It’s also hard to understand other members of the family that DON’T do their part.
    The “Thankful list” is a good equalizer!

:heart: Wishful: We’ve had a very hot and humid weekend here in RI with a cold front coming in. There were threats of tornados…but thank God…they never happened!
    Today is a new day1 Forget about the weekend and have a great Monday!

:heart: Kackie: What an awful thing to happen to that 49 year old man. My first husband was 48 when he died and t just seems so young! (especially the older you get!!!)
    Be careful exercising! Sometimes “weird” means “caution” !

:heart: Mimi: You and I ARE the same age and have lost the same amount of weight! That so cool! I feel like I just started living at 61!!!!!
    Sorry your doctor’s appointment was a mixed bag. I hope it works out for you with the RX you’ve been taking. And you are right about lazy days. I just feel better too, when I’m moving around!
    BTW WE’RE glad YOU’RE here…too!!!

:heart: Barbiecat: You’re trip to Tacoma sounds like a lot of fun…and a lot of exercise!!!!!

:heart: Elmtc57 from Texas….WELCOME!

:heart: Barb: What is it about VOTING that people don’t get.
    And what a good friend you are to Thomy!
    As far as Kyron….how tragic1 I hope they find him. Will pray for him.

:heart: Tiarapant: 15 min on the treadmill is a noble thing. Every journey starts with the first step!

:heart: KathyPmjsmom: Variety is a good thing! But I must admit I love mfp!
    As for your DD…at the end of a pregnancy…I think we all felt that way!!!

:heart: Vicki: You sure are doing well with burning calories! Wow! Cutting that grass must have been a lot of work!!!!

:heart: Jeannie: Did you ever find the broom? LOL See how things happen (regarding the man at McDonalds). You were meant to be there to catch him! I’m sure that wasn’t a coincidence!
    Hope you’re enjoying yourself in Colorado Springs! (Poor Peter rabbit)

:heart: Michele: Okay I’m going to ask a stupid question. What is an HRM or an F7 for that matter? I am soooo clueless!! I usually can figure them out….but duh! Well you seem to be doing well with the yoga! That’s a word I understand!!!LOL

:heart: Robin: Glad you got a new computer. Sounds like you needed it! Congratulations on losing another 2 lbs! That’s great! I guess posting while drinking tequila doesn’t work for you? LOL
    I am looking forward to size 8 jeans and am sure that I will get there. But I think….it’s more the “lifestyle change” that I’m hooked on. If I lose that…then size 18 here we come!!!

:heart: Holton: Welcome! Sounds like you’re on the right track! You can do whatever you set your mind to do!

:heart: Donna56: Don’t get discouraged. As long as you’re positing …you’re trying and eventually it just “kicks in”. When you stop tracking…you will stop being aware of what you need to change. As far as the humidity and exercising…I hear ya!! In RI we get very hot and humid. I have my treadmill in the basement, which helps and I have a television in front of me with a fan on top of it (Obviously an old television). I wouldn’t even think of exercising…even in the winter without the fan!
    As far as tornados…we had some warnings but I understand Michigan was hit hard. So sad!

:heart: MacMadame: I’m so impressed with all of your activities! But beware of humidity! I’m sure you drink a lot of water when you’re doing so much exercise and getting so hot! It’s so hard to believe that you were EVER overweight!

:heart: Grammymax (Esther): It’s just so great to hear from you! I miss seeing the picture of you hugging hubby!!! Hope to hear more from you!
    Enjoy your grammymax children! LOL

:heart: Robnbrn: You seem to have your goals set up okay. Goodluck with them! And if Jenny Craig helps you…then go for it!

:heart: Viv: God bless for staying in the Race for Life with Autumn even when it was raining buckets!!! So glad she got her medal!

:heart: Faye: I loved the mention of the birds and their melodies! Isn’t it quite heavenly? I enjoy sitting in our screen house and listening to them….and then a crow will come like a “party crasher” and ruin the symphony! LOL
    The flaky ice cream was a new thing to me…too! Glad I know what it is now!

:heart: Dansdeb: Don’t let ANYTHING that’s happened in the past get to you! All you have is the present, and when you concentrate on the MOMENT…you don’t get nervous or upset and eat over PAST MOMENTS! I am far more interested in getting back on track (when I get OFF TRACK) than what the scale says. In fact, sometimes, I won’t even GET weighed if it’s going to bother me too much….and just concentrate on the present. I realize this doesn’t work for some, as the “accountability” thing is needed for them to get back on track. But for me….it makes it worse. Do what will work to get you back on track!

:heart: Wanda: Welcome to our “over 50” family! Some of us are over 60! LOL I don’t think there’s anyone on this thread that DOESN’T understand where you’re at! We’ve all been there….and for some of us….all our lives….off and on! The important thing is to replace old, bad habits with good new habits. So, when you get the urge to go into the kitchen…. have a game plan. E.g. Get on the computer and post or track what you’re going to eat. OR make a grocery list of good new foods (and healthy) to try… and go to the store. Take a walk. Get AWAY from the kitchen and do something. Idleness is the devils workshop….so stay busy. When I get to where YOU are, that’s what I do. Also, being a spiritual woman, I ask God to….even just give me the WILLINGNESS to do something constructive, and that gives me the strength to do what I have to do.

:heart: Auntibk: Don’t you HATE those slugs!! Yuck! They’re sooo gross! Hope that pepper works!

:heart: Mary: Welcome back!!!! Sounds like it was a very special camping trip. Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that we cherish most!!!

:heart: Caminogirl: Glad your food choices are getting better! That’s how we win this fight!

:heart: Terri: It’s good to hear from you!

I think I've caught up with everybody since Friday!!! Yikes! Will be out of work for a week so I'll either be on here more often....or...if my daughter's signing (for her house) happens timely...I might be MIA!
    What ever it is....sending hugs and good wishes to all!!!
    BirdieM:heart:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Birdie - I just got back from the gym and am reading here while dinner cooks and I saw your question. HRM = heart rate monitor and F7 is a model of HRM made by Polar.

On the subject of exercise - most of you all probably know that the exercise calories listed here are a best guess. It can't be accurate for everyone. Things vary - your weight, how hard you do the activity, what setting the machine is on. The only reason I mention this is that a few new people may use the estimates a gospel and end up eating too much, if they eat all their exercise calories.

For example I use the elliptical every day for a hour. It has a built in HRM and calorie counter. I assume it's fairly accurate as you enter your age, and weight into the machine and it takes your reading as you ecercise. Anyway, even in interval training using level 8 for the high number, I burned 650 calories today. MFP says 845 calories burned for an hour of elliptical. I'm not complaining at all, just letting those that need the info know that it's just a best guess.

Sorry if everyone, instead of most everyone, knew this and I bored the pants absolutely everyone!

Faye
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm at work so I can't say much but I've been doing much better about reading all posts and not doing so much skimming...