Are people crazy or do I have an eating disorder?

Options

Replies

• cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have an eating disorder. It's called dedication and commitment. I have it too.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I wonder if the same people would think it was weird and obsessive if you were, say, taking blood sugar readings and insulin shots three times a day. My dad does that. So tracking what you eat is nothing, even before you consider that it's how many people can avoid Door #2...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Not sure if in five pages of responses anyone's recommended that the OP actually look at the diagnostic criteria for eating disorders.

The DSM-IV lists the criteria for anorexia, bulemia, and EDNOS. While only a qualified professional should be making actual diagnoses, having a point of reference might be a helpful and might alleviate some stress if you're not hitting any of the marks. A good search on the internet will pull that up. :)
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would think more that they are looking for excuses to not be more attentive to what they eat? You sound a lot like me- and I in no way, shape or form, have an eating disorder!
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options
    r they overweight themselves? if so its prob jealousy. but it is a bit weird that u would bring ur scale out in public. u should only weigh yourself once a day because when u eat, u are obviously heavier. but good job otherwise :D
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Wow- everything you have described is like... PERFECT. :) Great job on your slow and steady weight loss so far and your dedication and determination.

Ignore their comments. Its sad that people surrounding you will always jump to criticize before they compliment, even when its for the better. As many others have said, they're haters. You're going about it perfectly (in my opinion) and I wouldn't change a thing.

And props for bringing your food scale in public! I've actually wanted to do that before but felt like that was a little too obsessive and didn't want to be judged, so I just continue to "guesstimate".
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I think the eating "disorder" is what's gotten most of here in the first place! You, and many of us here, are just trying to regain control of an out-of-control lifestyle. For some people that means obsessing over all the little details, others take a more laid-back approach. It's irks me that anorexia and bulimia are called eating disorders, but obesity is not and is viewed in a derogatory manner (as in being lazy) ... I feel that it's just a variant of the same mentality - it's a flawed coping mechanism.

Just my 2 cents-worth...
  • JenRedesigned
    JenRedesigned Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a combo of ignorance and/or jealousy on their part. Good luck with your continued success. I'm sure you'll get a plethora of "Haters gonna hate" replies to this as well.

What he said! Haters Gonna Hate! They're definitely jealous.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Besides taking your food scale out in public. I would do exactly what you are doing. I even figured out a whole bag of dorittos (the $1.49) bag. Is 500 calories.

So nope you don't have an eating disorder. You have a very planned life.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think at the very most someone could call you a little OCD but then again tht would apply to me too!
    Some people are just idiots.
    Carry on doing what you're doing and ignore the haters
  • L257
    L257 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have an eating disorder. Like you, I meal plan and shop for a week, I even make some meals ahead and I pre-log my foods. I'm too busy NOT to meal plan and pre-prepare food! It's to do with time management and organisation, not the food.

I think they way to tell if it is becoming problematic is.... if you went out spontaeneously and there was no way to skim the menu before you go or google average calorie contents or anything like that... if you ate some food and had no clue what the calorie content was... would you panic? If you would panic then I think that is an over reaction and may indicate a problem. If you would be a little worried or frustrated but just get on with enjoying a good meal out with friends then I think that is normal.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a combo of ignorance and/or jealousy on their part. Good luck with your continued success. I'm sure you'll get a plethora of "Haters gonna hate" replies to this as well.

Yep!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    they are just jealous! Go into work eating a huge cookie and walk by them and say "oh crap, this has so much fat so I must throw this up later!" :laugh:
  • ItLiesHeavy37
    Options
    No, I can definitely definitely say as someone who has had an eating disorder that you do not have one. It sounds to me like you are doing everything right. You eat a good amount and exercise and you still go out to enjoy meals (you are just being smart about it). Good for you and don't listen to them! You don't have to defend yourself to anyone.
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    If it doesn't consume your everyday life in a negative way and if you aren't downing yourself all the time you don't have an eating disorder. In fact from what I read you are just being very healthy about your eating. Eating disorders are much more complex than planning your meals and making sure you are using portion control.
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Pretty much what EVERYONE has said above. Your friends are jealous and you are doing great.
    Keep it up.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i'm guessing these comments are probably from people that don't use MFP or don't really pay attention to what you're eating. At one point the planning got a bit obsessive for me- a little too much- but if it's something you enjoy doing go for it. You're clearly not crash dieting or anything and you said yourself you're going at a slow steady pace. I don't let my friends and family notice that I measure my food because I believe they would probably have the same reactions that you are getting from people. Congrats on your success so far.
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    On a side note.... if you have to ask if you have an eating disorder... you more than likely don't have one. No worries. People like to talk.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Your approach is a bit more structured than my approach. But, I wouldn't say it's an eating disorder. I do measure my food though and that has my SO a bit confused, he was like why are you measuring the oil? Just dump it in the pan. I was like "yikes" not out loud, but seriously how would I know how much oil to log without measuring? Any way he's still more likely to think I am still eating too much rather than too little.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    its called jealousy.

same thing happened to a guy at my work, he's lost lots of weight now everyone is "worried" about him and think he's too thin and taken it too far. Funny how they didn't "worry" about him when he was fat and in danger of all sorts of health problems.