Death...what do you think about it--or do you?

Options

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I follow an Earth Religion, so death is just a part of the circle. I believe in reincarnation/rebirth, so yeah, I'm with your neighbor on this one - it simply *is.* Happens to all of us. The sorrow that most people feel (and I do, too, don't get me wrong) is a selfish longing for the other person to be back in our lives. Is it a bad thing for the person who died? Maybe, maybe not. But our sorrow stems entirely on our selfish want for that person to be back.

*shrug* Just my belief. It's a natural emotion and there's no shame in it, but some people aren't capable of that kind of emotion.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Elisabeth Kubler Ross has done some very insightful studies on death and dying. I believe she is (or was at her time) the only person to do a study on death. Her findings were interesting.

Personally... I believe our life force energy goes back to where it came from. Nothing scary about that. I think heaven is a state of consciousness.
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Kathy_TheVampireSlayer Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I follow an Earth Religion, so death is just a part of the circle. I believe in reincarnation/rebirth, so yeah, I'm with your neighbor on this one - it simply *is.* Happens to all of us. The sorrow that most people feel (and I do, too, don't get me wrong) is a selfish longing for the other person to be back in our lives. Is it a bad thing for the person who died? Maybe, maybe not. But our sorrow stems entirely on our selfish want for that person to be back.

*shrug* Just my belief. It's a natural emotion and there's no shame in it, but some people aren't capable of that kind of emotion.

OMG this :drinker:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I look forward to it... not in a morbid way or want it to happen, but to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.... No fears!

Mike said it perfectly.

Plus, I believe all questions will be answered, which will be really freakin' cool!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I hope you understand that your neighbor probably wasn't meaning to come across as insensitive. She probably disassociated herself with the event. She probably is affected by it, and may cry when she is alone.
    When I talk about a death I am thinking about something else so that my real feelings don't show, and I am able to convey what needs to be said. Also, to sometimes talk about what happened.

Maybe your neighbor needs a friend....

How I feel about death....

I hate that the people we love have to be taken from us! However, if I had to choose between knowing it was coming, or a sudden death. I think it is easier if you know it is coming. That's just my opinion.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    As one of the aforementioned Christians, I have no real fear of death. The process of dying? Yeah I'm not so keen on that. I'm hoping for the quick "hit by a bus", rather than the lingering in a hospital route.

And yes, to whoever said it's not up to me, that is correct. Satan most certainly wants a piece. However, Christ took care of that for me a number of years ago. So I am not concerned.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I suspect your neighbour has had a lot of friends/acquaintances die. To older people it happens a lot and it becomes a familiar occurrence.
    My Mother in Law passed away over a year ago and it was a very sad loss for all the family. My next Sunday at church after the funeral I arrived late so sat in the back row. As that is where families with young children usually sit, I checked my seat to make sure it was clean. It was. Part way through I had to move seats to let some people pass. A while later I went to sit down and discovered my seat and the first one I'd been in had a sprinkling of gold specks. I hadn't brought it in and no one else had been near. It was God's way of comforting me. My MIL knew Jesus, I know Jesus. My MIL was having a great time in heaven. Life after death to me? The best PARTY ever!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I suspect your neighbour has had a lot of friends/acquaintances die. To older people it happens a lot and it becomes a familiar occurrence.
    My Mother in Law passed away over a year ago and it was a very sad loss for all the family. My next Sunday at church after the funeral I arrived late so sat in the back row. As that is where families with young children usually sit, I checked my seat to make sure it was clean. It was. Part way through I had to move seats to let some people pass. A while later I went to sit down and discovered my seat and the first one I'd been in had a sprinkling of gold specks. I hadn't brought it in and no one else had been near. It was God's way of comforting me. My MIL knew Jesus, I know Jesus. My MIL was having a great time in heaven. Life after death to me? The best PARTY ever!

I suspect your neighbour has had a lot of friends/acquaintances die. To older people it happens a lot and it becomes a familiar occurrence. .... I REALLY appreciate you sharing this. My neighbor/friend is very elderly (even though she doesn't look nor act like it AT ALL not even a bit :happy: ) She's nearing or in her late 70's early 80's...this makes soooo much sense to me. Thank you so much for your lovely post!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a tough concept to wrap your mind around. The more you have been exposed to someone's absence, the more casually you can discuss it. Everyone needs to be respected in the telling. She probably didn't realize you didn't know or she'd have used more tact.

I do believe the Jesus died so that we don't have to...my body will lay in a grace, but my spirit will be present with Him for all eternity. And He made me and loves me more than anyone could. So, that's cool. It says we'll have "works" to do, and I'm cool with that, too. I like to be useful. Coming to terms with the end of our impact on earth...it's a large thing to wrap your head around. Makes you want to make it all count, doesn't it? I'm sorry for your loss. And...I'm sorry that we don't do more to commemorate special people in public ways. I hope you wrote on her wall. "I didn't know you well, but..." Well, you did commemorate her here, too. I suppose a lot of people express their condolences in all kinds of ways.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    *gulp*
    my childs father died when she was 3.
    a very troubling time for me and for her.
    all in all, I believe in life after death.
    heaven sounds fantastic.
    I hope to one day be reunited with him.
    but for now, I will continue on w/my life

As soon as one is born, one starts dying.~LUIGI PIRANDELLO, Henry IV
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I don't wish to belittle anyone's losses here, so please don't bash me for this. But, to me, death is all part of the process. It is inevitable, so I'm not afraid of dying. But, there are things I want to accomplish first -- mainly to see my children become responsible, productive adults and, if they want it, parents.

I also don't want to witness my children die before I do. I've been to two child funerals -- a two-year old and a 14-year old, and honestly, those were very, very traumatic to see. No child should die before their parents-- that's not how the order of things should go!

Lastly, and probably the thing that WILL get me bashed, is that I have a harder time and am more upset when I've had to put my pets down. Yes, it sounds harsh, but animals don't live as long, and darn it they just wrap themselves around our hearts and hug tightly.

I lost my first dog and my MIL in the same year. I bawled, just BAWLED my eyes out when my dog died, but only wept when my MIL did -- because we all knew, and so did she, that her time was up. She had accepted it, and so did we.

Again, I am sorry for everyone's losses, but I do have my own spin about death, and some situations are a lot tougher on me than others.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I suspect your neighbour has had a lot of friends/acquaintances die. To older people it happens a lot and it becomes a familiar occurrence. .... I REALLY appreciate you sharing this. My neighbor/friend is very elderly (even though she doesn't look nor act like it AT ALL not even a bit :happy: ) She's nearing or in her late 70's early 80's...this makes soooo much sense to me. Thank you so much for your lovely post!

My pleasure :-D
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of dying but I'm in no hurry to go. I have a 15 year old I want to see grow up.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    In some cases it's bad horrid unfair terrible and sucks. In others Im glad it happened because Death can end a lot of suffering and pain. For myself, Im in no big rush to die, Im 27 and I hope it's not a painful or tragic death but part of really believes that to die will be a really great adventure.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    We all gotta go. Some will go faster than others.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My MILs mom just passed and she carries on like no thing but a chicken wing. Some people are good at hiding emotions so I don't care if they're not being dramatical about it. Everyone mourns different.

I think about death all the time especially since I had children. I want to see them grown, but tomorrow isn't promised today.

I'm desensitized to death. When I was 18 I lost a friend. He was killed execution style. Some gangbanger shot him and his buddy in the back of the head then set the car ablaze. This happened in an alley right where I grew up. He was open casket. At that point in my life I freaked about mortality. Then I accepted it and I'm probably one of those people who talks about death nonchalant. It's life.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Death scares me but I worry about the lives of my kids and my wife much more than my own. In the end all you can do is delay it. I want to grow old and see my great grandchildren with my beautiful wife. I have escaped my own death 2 times and have watched soldiers in their teens pass away right in front of me. Life is something you should cherish and enjoy. Death will come and having to say good bye sucks. Death sucks but love is awesome.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Live every moment and don't take anything for granted. Celebrate life as it happens. You can't go back and tell someone you love them after they're gone, so make sure you say it while they're here. It's all you can do.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Death doesn't bother me. It's the lead up I don't care for. You know, the dying part. It seems like a struggle. I don't like being in pain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    The one sure thing that will happen to everyone. Personally I believe once it happens, the deceased end up being worm food. The cycle continues with someone else's birth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition