Atkins/lowcarb anyone?

Options

Replies

• Noory44
    Noory44 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yah i have PCOS too and thought i'd try this to finally get the weight off, so far so good! Thanks!
  • ajstaudt
    ajstaudt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    www.musclehack.com

My personal low-carb haven :)
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am! It is great to see other people workin' the low carb lifestyle. I'm not sure if someone has already posted this or not but here is the link to a myfitnesspal low carb group. There are so great recipes and FAQs!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Anyone can feel free to add me; I'm pretty new to the low carb way of eating as well. :)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The problem with Atkins is that is an unsustainable diet. It works to be sure, but are you going to live your life on it? I would suggest trying the Metabolic Diet.

In a nutshell, it's high fat/protein and low carb (30gms a day) five days a week. On the weekend you carb load and can eat just about anything you want. You have to finagle a bit to find your particular caloric and carbohydrate set point. Once you figure that out, the fat will come off without catabolizing any hard earned muscle and you will have a much better physique than someone that just diets down and cardios their butts off.

The diet was written by a physician and world class power lifter, Dr. Maureo DiPasquale, so he knows the science and health benefits behind it.

I'm 4 weeks into it and enjoying the heck out of it. I get all my carbs from fibrous vegetables and some whole wheat bread during the week. On the weekends I can have pizza and beer if I want.

The mental aspect is the eternal "diet killer". If you can restrict yourself for 5 days, knowing that the weekend brings relief, it's a lot easier to stay on and succeed. At least it is for me.

The mental aspect of giving myself these "rewards" kills it for me. I've found that if I cheat from my low-carb diet, even for a weekend, it takes me 4-5 days to get the weight back off. That is if I get directly back to my low-carbing. I can usually talk myself into taking a whole week, then just another, etc. Way easier to me just to eat this way as a life-style, and not go crazy with the carbs on the weekend! On the bright side, I was able to eat and be perfectly satisfied at a burger joint the other day with my family. Just had a burger wrapped in lettuce. And I had the presence of mind to resist the fries and onion rings that my kids stuck right under my nose. :)
  • southernbe1le
    southernbe1le Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started Atkins last week and I am down 6lbs and he is down 8lbs, and it has only been 7 days. Eating sweet corn is a way to curb the sweet cravings and trick your taste buds without killing your total carb count for the day. The cravings will let up soon. Best of luck!
  • katiplease
    katiplease Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I keep having to postpone because of fasts or gluten challenges for testing, but I'm starting keto asap, which at my weight'll mean 18g/day or less! Feel free to add, and good luck! (and check out r/keto or the keto group on here)
  • ohreally00
    ohreally00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is NOT unhealthy to get rid of the starch (aka simple sugars, aka potato, rice, pasta, bread) ... Atkins was exactly right on that point. But I will submit that you don't need to (frankly) go into drastic keto either. See my prior post. Lost 46 pounds without keto. I'll post some additional thoughts on this, but suffice it to say, I am a big believer in protein/veggie (and yes fruit) as a sustainable diet.
  • ohreally00
    Options
    I agree....stick with anything long enough and it will become "habit". Resolve with a capital "R".
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    most definitely the worst and unhealthiest diet failure ever devised! Have fun:)
  • ohreally00
    Options
    Here's the thing from my perspective (of yo yo dieting for decades)....if you feel like you are "addicted to" or aka "can't give up" : sugar, chocolate, pasta, starchy stuff, "comfort food" .... GIVE IT UP cold turkey, c"est fini, end of story, Get the Resolve and let it work for more than a couple of weeks :-)
  • ohreally00
    Options
    So, I drink my breakfast while riding the commuter train---healthy stuff (for all you Atkins/protein/lo carb naysayers):

EAS Lean 15 protein powder

Amazing Grass Superfoods powder

Almond Milk (unsweetened)

blend well
  • ohreally00
    Options
    most definitely the worst and unhealthiest diet failure ever devised! Have fun:)

Respectfully disagree
  • ohreally00
    Options
    Dr Atkins diet of Heart Disease and was obese..please do your research..I would venture the Atkins diet is probably the worst and unhealthiest "diet" ever created...Just really KNOW what you are doing with it! good luck

As others have said, he did not die of heart disease. You might "venture" of "KNOW" from perhaps your own personal opinion, but there is a lot of good to be said about a diet not focused on simple carbs (rice, potato, pasta, bread, etc.) and rather on good quality protein and veggies. If you look at current Atkins, it's not so "unhealthy" as you imagine.
  • ohreally00
    Options
    The problem with Atkins is that is an unsustainable diet. It works to be sure, but are you going to live your life on it? I would suggest trying the Metabolic Diet.

In a nutshell, it's high fat/protein and low carb (30gms a day) five days a week. On the weekend you carb load and can eat just about anything you want. You have to finagle a bit to find your particular caloric and carbohydrate set point. Once you figure that out, the fat will come off without catabolizing any hard earned muscle and you will have a much better physique than someone that just diets down and cardios their butts off.

The diet was written by a physician and world class power lifter, Dr. Maureo DiPasquale, so he knows the science and health benefits behind it.

I'm 4 weeks into it and enjoying the heck out of it. I get all my carbs from fibrous vegetables and some whole wheat bread during the week. On the weekends I can have pizza and beer if I want.

The mental aspect is the eternal "diet killer". If you can restrict yourself for 5 days, knowing that the weekend brings relief, it's a lot easier to stay on and succeed. At least it is for me.

The mental aspect of giving myself these "rewards" kills it for me. I've found that if I cheat from my low-carb diet, even for a weekend, it takes me 4-5 days to get the weight back off. That is if I get directly back to my low-carbing. I can usually talk myself into taking a whole week, then just another, etc. Way easier to me just to eat this way as a life-style, and not go crazy with the carbs on the weekend! On the bright side, I was able to eat and be perfectly satisfied at a burger joint the other day with my family. Just had a burger wrapped in lettuce. And I had the presence of mind to resist the fries and onion rings that my kids stuck right under my nose. :)

Agreed.....I was on vacation in NC and lo and behold, Jimmy Johns had lettuce wrapped subs...loved it! A lot healthier than eating it on a sub roll.
  • ohreally00
    Options
    My husband and I started Atkins last week and I am down 6lbs and he is down 8lbs, and it has only been 7 days. Eating sweet corn is a way to curb the sweet cravings and trick your taste buds without killing your total carb count for the day. The cravings will let up soon. Best of luck!

Yes! exactly right...overcoming cravings needs resolve and time...your brain will adjust!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I can see the benefit with that in that it keeps your body guessing too which I would bet helps prevent stalling.

That's exactly right. Just as your body adapts to a certain amount of calories and macros, you change it up with carbs and higher calories which causes a metabolic spike.

Yes and Yes.
    Also I read earlier ppl saying they cant have chocolate and fruit. That's not true. I have both. Im doing just fine.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of accidentally semi-low carb (I don't eat grains much), but I am definitely not low sugar or low chocolate.

Carbs are not the enemy, and I generally think it's a bad idea to go on any kind of diet without understanding exactly why you're doing it. I choose not to eat grains because I have learned that I feel better without them (fewer gastrointestinal issues and more energy), and I never have cravings for bread or pasta. But I still eat more than 100 g of carbs per day, in the form of fruits, vegetables, and some refined sugar.

But don't give up ANY food that you know you can't live without forever. That's incredibly counterproductive. Just control your portions. I eat 220 calories of dark chocolate every single day. I eat 2 Tbsp of peanut butter every single day. And I'm still losing weight. Calories are the issue, not carbs, assuming you don't have some kind of gluten intolerance or food allergy.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I disagree (respectfully) with part of that. Eventually your metabolism slows down on a low calorie diet and you stop losing weight (also known as a plateau) this doesn't happen on low carb and you never go hungry on low carb either which is a massive advantage!
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    Been HFLC'ing since Febuary/March time - changed my life. Simple as.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Lowest I can do is maybe 70g. Lower than that and I faint and feel like vomiting all over the place. Just not for me :/ I stick with a lowish 120g now most days :)