Why do girls get jealous?

Options

Replies

• salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Early in my marriage I got jealous a lot. My dh is a big flirt, and loves women or all ages, shapes and sizes, lol. I think it was my insecurity and immaturity, not any thing that he was doing, because his flirting never really went any where (that I know of at least :noway: ) Now that we are older and I am more secure, in his love for me anyway, (we've been married a very long time), I don't feel jealous even though he still flirts.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Truth....Insecurities seem the common denominator here..which I can understand.

For those that asked, I'm in "PoDunk" Iowa. Or maybe I just don't get out enough, or notice the signs that guys give off. It is true, I somewhat envy guys that just "let it go" or don't get all up in arms about it. Man that would be nice. So much easier and less headache.

So....next question for those that said they don't get jealous or rarely do.....did you ever get jealous of anything before now? Guess what I'm digging for is if someone does get jealous now because....say of .....insecurities, have you moved forward to not getting jealous anymore? What happened if so?

And for the gal that said it's kind of debilitating.....doll I feel ya....there have been days I wanted to knock down drag out with myself....realizing how much of a wast of time it is. You arent' alone.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    It really takes a lot for me to get jealous. Someone would have to really know my weakness (I have very few) and then shove it in my face willfully. Even then, I'd have a hard time becoming jealous because even if I felt it, I'd never behave like it bothered me. And I never get hot-headed jealous ever.

Seriously, I think it's ok for people to be proud of themselves, to flaunt what they have, to be excited about something, to just feel good and happy in general. It actually makes me feel good for them instead of inadequate about myself. I feel really good about myself almost all the time.
  • aelitaangels
    aelitaangels Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think this notion of "girls get jealous of one another, girls are so competitive with one another" is overblown and kinda sexist. It's been made out as if Jealousy is somehow a specifically negative female trait.

Some girls get jealous or competitive with other girls because they're human and jealously is a human emotion.
    Guys get competitive and jealous of one another too, but its never mentioned as much as female jealously.
    Some girls get insecure easily, others don't. We're all individuals and its unfair to paint the majority of the gender as "easily jealous"
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think there a few jealous guys out there, but you dont hear much about it because they know how to bury the bodies
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Why does jealousy exist?

Evolutionary behavioral adaptation to try to keep the hunter that provides all your protein near you and away from other hungry females. It better ensures the survival of the progeny you have with that particular male.

Just my guess.

Yeah I'm going with this one if you are talking about female to female jealousy. However, I find the best cure for jealousy is to get so out of the norm that you are no longer consider competition. Then you get to sit from the sidelines and observe. You might not get the best mate for your offspring, but it saves a lot of drama in your life. So moral of the story become an abnormal freak. Myself as an example I ballooned up to 365lb, but you can chose other routes become disfigured or join the clergy.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I think this notion of "girls get jealous of one another, girls are so competitive with one another" is overblown and kinda sexist. It's been made out as if Jealousy is somehow a specifically negative female trait.

Some girls get jealous or competitive with other girls because they're human and jealously is a human emotion.
    Guys get competitive and jealous of one another too, but its never mentioned as much as female jealously.
    Some girls get insecure easily, others don't. We're all individuals and its unfair to paint the majority of the gender as "easily jealous"

30sg13c.gif
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I think it's funny (not like haha-funny just like peculiar-funny) that almost everybody jumped to jealousy in relationships.

Like, um, people get jealous for a lot more reasons that have nothing to do with relationships. Success, careers, material possessions, life experiences... Like, why do so many people have to jump to the conclusion that girls only get jealous when men are involved?

Weird.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Why does jealousy exist?

Evolutionary behavioral adaptation to try to keep the hunter that provides all your protein near you and away from other hungry females. It better ensures the survival of the progeny you have with that particular male.

Just my guess.
    TRUTH! Primal instinct for us is to survive and pass on our genes. The healthier and more "attractive" a mate is, chances are the offspring will also carry both sets of genes down and continue the legacy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

To build on this and take the chance of seeming misogynistic:

Women tend to be more jealous among the sexes because men can drop seed and flee. A woman has the far more taxing task of bearing and caring for the offspring. A female and her offspring would be more successful if she could keep the male close and encouraged him to remain with her. Fending off other females (evolutionary jealousy) and providing that particular male with easy access to sex (not just for procreation) helped to ensure this.

This is of course just theory but I find the ideas behind it fascinating.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Never been jealous wouldnt know .Jealousy is a useless emotion as far as Im concerned.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm maybe because women are fed through media that we're never good enough and we should be more like whatever will sell more product. Our capitalist society would crumble if we were happy with what we have.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny (not like haha-funny just like peculiar-funny) that almost everybody jumped to jealousy in relationships.

Like, um, people get jealous for a lot more reasons that have nothing to do with relationships. Success, careers, material possessions, life experiences... Like, why do so many people have to jump to the conclusion that girls only get jealous when men are involved?

Weird.

Because other people were mentioning it, is the only reason I responded to it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Why does jealousy exist?

Just my guess.
    TRUTH! Primal instinct for us is to survive and pass on our genes. The healthier and more "attractive" a mate is, chances are the offspring will also carry both sets of genes down and continue the legacy.

IDEA Fitness member

Women tend to be more jealous among the sexes because men can drop seed and flee. A woman has the far more taxing task of bearing and caring for the offspring. A female and her offspring would be more successful if she could keep the male close and encouraged him to remain with her. Fending off other females (evolutionary jealousy) and providing that particular male with easy access to sex (not just for procreation) helped to ensure this.

Don't disagree here. Lol, it's the nagging that drives us nuts.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Why does jealousy exist?

Just my guess.

IDEA Fitness member

I studied evolutionary biology also and it's not misogynistic to discuss those concepts. But, I always remember learning that actually females would group together to help each other with the babies. It was men that had jealousy because they needed to keep other men away from their women because another man could impregnate her and he would never know and would raise another man's baby as his own child. Wasting his resources on some other man's propagation of his genes.
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Jealous of what?
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Why does jealousy exist?

Just my guess.

Yep. This^
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help. I am never jealous. I am happy with who I am and with what I have. No need to stress myself over others.

Exactly the same. Amen!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I dont know, I am not a jealous person. I have seen a ton of jealous men though. I am a huge flirt and every guy I dated was very jealous ( they didn't last long) until I met my husband who isn't jealous.
  • Kestrel45
    Kestrel45 Posts: 133
    Options
    if-women-ruled-world-knonie-400x333.jpg

LMFAO
    awesome.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Why does jealousy exist?

Just my guess.

IDEA Fitness member

I studied evolutionary biology also and it's not misogynistic to discuss those concepts. But, I always remember learning that actually females would group together to help each other with the babies. It was men that had jealousy because they needed to keep other men away from their women because another man could impregnate her and he would never know and would raise another man's baby as his own child. Wasting his resources on some other man's propagation of his genes.

I love all theories. I've heard this one too. Evolutionary biology and evolutionary anthropology... food for my mindgasms.