why are crossfit facilities/ classes SO expensive?

Options

Replies

• SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You have a planned WOD each time you go that was designed by a professional. It's like having a trainer plan each of your workouts without paying $80 a session. It can be much cheaper than a trainer for all that you receive.

If you were paying for a trainer you would be getting exercises that YOU need for your personal progressive training. There is no possible way a random list of movements sent out to the entire nation is an equivalent service.

I bet every morning you're overjoyed to see the latest horoscope that the newspaper people printed just for you. :P
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Because that's what semi personalized fitness coaching costs. Every time I see someone on the boards talk about crossfit being expensive, they are comparing it to some standard gym where you go in do whatever you want and walk out. No groups, no coaching, no expected performance levels, no training, nothing.

Having a personal trainer at your regular spot costs $50-80 per session, and at 12 sessions per month, that would run you $700+ per month, PLUS the $40 for your gym membership. So crossfit is incredibly cheap compared to 1 on 1 training.

Now lets compare small groups. Usually pilates or yoga in small groups runs $15-25 per session, so those same 12 sessions would cost you $240 per month. Circuit training, boxing, and martial arts training classes tend to fall around the same number. So crossfit, at $160-200 per month, fits right in this niche.

Apples to apples, people, apples to apples.

Aye, ^this.

With the information/correction/training I've gotten in just my first two on-ramp classes, I wish I would have signed up years ago. There's only so much reading articles and watching videos can do for your form (or at least than I was able to accomplish). And at ~$15/class (and only 2-3 of us in the class), much cheaper than any individual/small-group training I could have gotten anywhere else. (Sure, I may change my mind once the "real" classes begin, but so far, I'm drinking the koolaid and absolutely loving it.)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You have a planned WOD each time you go that was designed by a professional. It's like having a trainer plan each of your workouts without paying $80 a session. It can be much cheaper than a trainer for all that you receive.

If you were paying for a trainer you would be getting exercises that YOU need for your personal progressive training. There is no possible way a random list of movements sent out to the entire nation is an equivalent service.

I bet every morning you're overjoyed to see the latest horoscope that the newspaper people printed just for you. :P

most boxes dont do the same WOD as what's shown on the main crossfit website.there are 4 boxes closes to me and all 4 have different WODs
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how much are normal cults to join?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I was a regular gym goer over many years on & off and not once did someone come up to me to correct my form, ask me how I'm doing, what were my goals and wondered where I was last week and is everything OK.
    Aside from all the positives that people have already posted, THIS is the main reason I go.
    I kick my own a** everytime I do a WOD, I'm pretty sure not many regular gym goers can say that.
    That is why I Crossfit and pay the extra to do it.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Because that much Kool-Aid ain't cheap!
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Once you understand the moves and right form for whatever you're doing, one advantage of being in a larger group fitness class is that if you aren't there for every single class, you don't have to explain where you were or feel pressured to make excuses when you have to miss a class now and then..

I recently stopped going to a power yoga class because I got tired of the teacher trying to pull the "Awwwwwww, I am so glad you are back! We missed you!" guilt trip on me every time I wasn't there. And when I started, I had told her that my schedule would not permit me to attend every class.

Personally, I think the main reason she does that is to try and keep a class together so the gym won't take her class off the schedule when attendance gets low over the summer.

I just started taking her yoga class because it's at the same locally owned gym where I do a boot camp class 3 times a week. I can take yoga at the YMCA and not have to deal with her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,715 Member
    Options
    It's called capitalism.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • janebshaw
    Options
    Another less expensive alternative to joining Crossfit is HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) classes.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Just looked up my nearest crossfit box and it's not much different from a normal gym. The price stucture is very reasonable, with different prices depending on how often you want to go, and no contract. If it's still around when my kids no longer need baby sitters, I might give it a go :laugh:
  • janebshaw
    Options
    Most Crossfit boxes are significantly more expensive than regular gym memberships. It's partly because they have to pay such high insurance premiums because their exercise routines are so extreme and intense that a higher than normal injury rate is expected. My advice is to forget about Crossfit, It's just a fad that will pass, like all other fitness fads. If you want and can afford it, hire a personal trainer for a while to make sure you have good form in whatever you're doing -- especially if your workout involves heavy lifting, and find some fitness classes you really like and will want to attend on a regular basis.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Once you understand the moves and right form for whatever you're doing, one advantage of being in a larger group fitness class is that if you aren't there for every single class, you don't have to explain where you were or feel pressured to make excuses when you have to miss a class now and then..

I recently stopped going to a power yoga class because I got tired of the teacher trying to pull the "Awwwwwww, I am so glad you are back! We missed you!" guilt trip on me every time I wasn't there. And when I started, I had told her that my schedule would not permit me to attend every class.

Personally, I think the main reason she does that is to try and keep a class together so the gym won't take her class off the schedule when attendance gets low over the summer.

I just started taking her yoga class because it's at the same locally owned gym where I do a boot camp class 3 times a week. I can take yoga at the YMCA and not have to deal with her.

Your yoga instructor was friendly to you? How awful that must have been! I hope you reported that beeyotch to the club manager. She should definitely be fired
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get it - I just wish there were childcare options.

Here's one of our local gyms:

Go 2 x/ week is $120/mo if you sign up for 14 months$140/ mo for 8 months, and $160/ month for 4 months

3 x/week is $140, $160 and $180 (14 months, 8 months, 4 months)

Unlimited is $155, $180, $210

It seems more suited for young singles.

Maybe I should look into a personal trainer - I just missed a sale too - darn!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most Crossfit boxes are significantly more expensive than regular gym memberships. It's partly because they have to pay such high insurance premiums because their exercise routines are so extreme and intense that a higher than normal injury rate is expected. My advice is to forget about Crossfit, It's just a fad that will pass, like all other fitness fads. If you want and can afford it, hire a personal trainer for a while to make sure you have good form in whatever you're doing -- especially if your workout involves heavy lifting, and find some fitness classes you really like and will want to attend on a regular basis.

Heath_gal is that you?

We get it. You don't like Crossfit. The OP already said she wasn't going to go anyway.

There are tons of fads that people have fun enjoying and benefit from. I don't see that as a reason not to go. I've never been to any HIIT class or other gym class that even compared to crossfit.
  • janebshaw
    Options

Your yoga instructor was friendly to you? How awful that must have been! I hope you reported that beeyotch to the club manager. She should definitely be fired

Since you weren't there to pick up on the attitude of the whole thing and only have typed words to go by, I will try explaining the situation again.

1. When I started taking the yoga class, I told the teacher that my schedule did not permit me to attend every class, like some people are able to do. So she knew from the get-go what the situation was.

2.When she started teaching in late winter, the class had about 15 people. At that time, she might say "I'm glad you could come" or something along that line, which was fine with me. But as time went on, the attendance dwindled down to 4 or 5 people for most classes. That's when she started making a really big deal about missing her "regulars" if they didn't show up.

3. From what I said earlier in the post, I like being in a situation where I don't have to explain why if I miss a class or two. The gym I go to has boot camp classes 2 or 3 times a day on some days, and when my schedule doesn't permit me to attend one time, I can go to the next one. After going to that gym for three or four months, I know at least a few people from all the classes, so I see familiar faces whenever I show up, and the instructors all know that my schedule is such that I am not going to be there for every single class, and they are OK with that.

I have no reason to report her to the gym, as her other regulars seem to be fine with her making a big deal out of it when the miss a class, and I can take yoga at the YMCA as part of my membership anyway.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

My box doesn't go by the national WODs unless it's an Open. Daily WODS are compiled by the trainers who are fairly invested in the customers and know what we are looking for in a workout. So...yeah. Maybe you should actually learn a little more about CrossFit before getting all snarky.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    You're right. Crossfit is over priced and over rated.

My advice is to check around at your local non-Crossfit gyms and see if they offer personal training on a deal for small groups.
    Or maybe the YMCA or other local gyms offer "starter" boot camp type classes where they have special instruction until you learn all the moves you need to safely participate in the training..

Oh, hello Health_Gal. So obvious.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Because that's what semi personalized fitness coaching costs. Every time I see someone on the boards talk about crossfit being expensive, they are comparing it to some standard gym where you go in do whatever you want and walk out. No groups, no coaching, no expected performance levels, no training, nothing.

Having a personal trainer at your regular spot costs $50-80 per session, and at 12 sessions per month, that would run you $700+ per month, PLUS the $40 for your gym membership. So crossfit is incredibly cheap compared to 1 on 1 training.

Now lets compare small groups. Usually pilates or yoga in small groups runs $15-25 per session, so those same 12 sessions would cost you $240 per month. Circuit training, boxing, and martial arts training classes tend to fall around the same number. So crossfit, at $160-200 per month, fits right in this niche.

Apples to apples, people, apples to apples.

^This. Absolutely. We have 20 people max in our classes and 1-2 coaches who walk around and do corrections, motivations, etc.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Since you weren't there to pick up on the attitude of the whole thing and only have typed words to go by, I will try explaining the situation again.

1. When I started taking the yoga class, I told the teacher that my schedule did not permit me to attend every class, like some people are able to do. So she knew from the get-go what the situation was.

2.When she started teaching in late winter, the class had about 15 people. At that time, she might say "I'm glad you could come" or something along that line, which was fine with me. But as time went on, the attendance dwindled down to 4 or 5 people for most classes. That's when she started making a really big deal about missing her "regulars" if they didn't show up.

3. From what I said earlier in the post, I like being in a situation where I don't have to explain why if I miss a class or two. The gym I go to has boot camp classes 2 or 3 times a day on some days, and when my schedule doesn't permit me to attend one time, I can go to the next one. After going to that gym for three or four months, I know at least a few people from all the classes, so I see familiar faces whenever I show up, and the instructors all know that my schedule is such that I am not going to be there for every single class, and they are OK with that.

I have no reason to report her to the gym, as her other regulars seem to be fine with her making a big deal out of it when the miss a class, and I can take yoga at the YMCA as part of my membership anyway.

lol
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The price really isn't higher than any other small group/trainer facilitated specialty gym, or even private yoga studios. Look at corepower, or barre classes, and you'll see what I mean. It's not the same as a YMCA, and it's not priced the same because of it.

I think I'd love Crossfit, but it's just not in the cards for me.