why are crossfit facilities/ classes SO expensive?

Options

Replies

• PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    That happens at the boot camp class I go to all the time. And it's not a Crossfit.

Congratulations. Around here, boot camp class is just as expensive as Crossfit, and curiously uses almost all of the same moves... go figure.

I love when people refer to it as a fad, too. Really? Pushups are a fad? Jumping rope is a fad? Don't tell the boxers. Squats are a fad? Don't tell the weight lifters. Sprints are a fad? Don't tell the runners. People who call this style of working out a fad don't know the first thing about what goes on in a Crossfit workout, obviously.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    They are trying to make as much money as possible as fast as possible before it's played out. Judging by the fact that every weak lame free bootcamp being offered for the sake of promoting a trainer or gym now bills itself as "crossfit" because it does circuit training-- I'd say it's almost played out.
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    That happens at the boot camp class I go to all the time. And it's not a Crossfit.

Congratulations. Around here, boot camp class is just as expensive as Crossfit, and curiously uses almost all of the same moves... go figure.

I love when people refer to it as a fad, too. Really? Pushups are a fad? Jumping rope is a fad? Don't tell the boxers. Squats are a fad? Don't tell the weight lifters. Sprints are a fad? Don't tell the runners. People who call this style of working out a fad don't know the first thing about what goes on in a Crossfit workout, obviously.

I go to a boxing gym... our warmup is a 20 minute "crossfit WOD". Lol.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    A good boot camp or HITT- High Intensity Interval Training class that isn't too large can give you a good ratio of participant - to - trainer for less than most Crossfit facilities. Even on days when the class is fairly large, the instructor makes time to go around the room and help people with their form.

The gym I go to for boot camp also offers the option of working with personal trainers as individuals or small groups,, fitness and nutrition consultations, etc for a reasonable price.
  • janebshaw
    Options

It is a fad to put a bunch of exercises that pre-existed Crossfit into a hyped-up package, smack a brand name on it and charge like it's a prime commodity.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options

It is a fad to put a bunch of exercises that pre-existed Crossfit into a hyped-up package, smack a brand name on it and charge like it's a prime commodity.

If you have to keep your class size to 12 students, and you have a limit on how many classes you can run per week (because the timing has to be right for most people and the space has to fit), you have to keep the price at a point where it will sustain the business and the people running it. Very simple math.
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    how much are normal cults to join?

^^ this

CF is a cult, status symbol and yuppy club
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    have you checked for a groupon? there is a 6 week class in my city right now for 30 bucks... AND they let me go to my first one for free before buying the deal! ohh and it was a 6:30 pm :) (After I got off work)
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    I go to a boxing gym... our warmup is a 20 minute "crossfit WOD". Lol.

I used to go to a boxing gym where actual competitive boxers trained right alongside me, doing exactly the same workout. Our warmup was a standard warmup, the same every time, and our focus was on the actual moves done in boxing. It's a totally different workout and it is designed for a completely different purpose.

But thank you for chiming in with the obligatory "my warmup is your workout" crap that usually gets pinned on people who do Crossfit. That was some poetic justice right there. Bravo!
  • janebshaw
    Options
    I never could understand if it's not a "fad" why so many people that do Crossfit have such a huge attachment to the Crossfit brand name.

I mean, at the gym where I take boot camp class, they don't feel a need to put a brand name on it and have everyone say "Oh yeah, I do the most wonderful ever (fill in the blank) Official Boot Camp Class!"

It's just we go to a boot camp class, get in our workout, say "Hi," to all the people we know, and don't have to make a big deal out of slapping a fancy brand name on it.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    my gym offers it for $7 a pop...you don't have to be a member, though I think its a couple bucks cheaper if you are. That doesn't seem prohibitive to me..but then again if you want to do it several times a week.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

WTG! Such a shame when people join something in hopes to better themselves (religion, gym, sport) that is different from what you consider "normal" isn't it?

I crossfit and play rugby - I'm such a terrible person
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's expensive because its the latest 'thing'. Wait until the next big 'thing' is out and the prices will go down.

False. It's basically like having an unlimited personal trainer. The better CF boxes won't overload on class sizes or will have enough trainers on hand to have more 1 on 1 training. Liability insurance isn't any different than any other gym. The CF boxes that charge like $50/mo aren't concerned about performace, but the money in their pockets.
  • jamers3111
    Options
    my gym offers it for $7 a pop...you don't have to be a member, though I think its a couple bucks cheaper if you are. That doesn't seem prohibitive to me..but then again if you want to do it several times a week.

I doubt this is CF. It's probably a bootcamp.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Because that's what semi personalized fitness coaching costs. Every time I see someone on the boards talk about crossfit being expensive, they are comparing it to some standard gym where you go in do whatever you want and walk out. No groups, no coaching, no expected performance levels, no training, nothing.

Having a personal trainer at your regular spot costs $50-80 per session, and at 12 sessions per month, that would run you $700+ per month, PLUS the $40 for your gym membership. So crossfit is incredibly cheap compared to 1 on 1 training.

Now lets compare small groups. Usually pilates or yoga in small groups runs $15-25 per session, so those same 12 sessions would cost you $240 per month. Circuit training, boxing, and martial arts training classes tend to fall around the same number. So crossfit, at $160-200 per month, fits right in this niche.

Apples to apples, people, apples to apples.

I guess this also explains why fitness class standards are so terrible.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't expensive imo. It's €50 a months, which is about $65.

Best workout I've ever had and am completely hooked! It's fun and challenging!

Oh, and to add: I've never been watched so closely for good form ever in my life. The gym I go to was already amazing and pays a lot of attention to good guidance, but they will explain it to you once and leave you to workout for a while, whereas our crossfitinstructors are seriousely on my *kitten* all the time.. Finally squatting with proper form:laugh: !!
  • jamers3111
    Options

^^ this

CF is a cult, status symbol and yuppy club

Ignorance isn't always bliss.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer recently got Crossfit certified...he didn't just take a sip of the KoolAid, I think he drank a whole pitcher. It is good for me though, he is incorporating the parts of Crossfit that I like into my workouts.
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    A boxing gym is about 70 bucks a month. With 90 minute classes offered about 5 times per day, and small class sizes (as low as 3 if you go to my gym at 6 am), and individualized attention. It's not cheap, but you get WAY more for your buck than you would at a Crossfit gym. You get strength, cardio, endurance, coordination, balance, and you learn a new sport / skill. It also has a cult like group atmosphere that gets people pretty hooked.
  • janebshaw
    Options
    My personal trainer recently got Crossfit certified...he didn't just take a sip of the KoolAid, I think he drank a whole pitcher. It is good for me though, he is incorporating the parts of Crossfit that I like into my workouts.

If the trainers at my gym ever connected with Crossfit, I would withdraw my membership and go elsewhere. I don't want to have anything to do with the Crossfit KookAid Cult.