How do you fix your oatmeal?

Options
evans72002
evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
Trying to get away from the pre-packaged instant oatmeal. How do you like yours? What do you add to it to make it healthier or tastier?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and cocoa powder. xD I call it Reese's Oatmeal.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I put cinnamin and apple slices in it. no sugar needed. its delicious
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Prepared with almond milk and add in cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and cocoa powder. xD I call it Reese's Oatmeal.
    nom!

pb2 would be a lot less calories too :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats with PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and maple syrup .... mmmmm

On the weekend I make it using milk (for more protein) and add Craisins & cinnamon
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and a packet of Splenda (I'm not an artificial sweetener-a-phobe).

The PB and cocoa powder sounds pretty tasty. I might have to give that one a shot.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I never thought of putting peanut butter in oatmeal. That would add protein.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    First of all, I use Silver Palate oatmeal, it's the best I've ever had - creamy. but chewy, never gluey. I have a couple favorite recipes. I make 4 servings at a time.

One variation: 8 chopped dates thrown in at the beginning, 1/4 cup chopped almonds, 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut and a chopped banana stirred in at the end.

Another: 1/3 cup dried blueberries, 1/3 cup crushed cashews, a teaspoon of vanilla, two tablespoons of molasses, pinch of nutmeg (all included at beginning)

One more: 1/4 cup raisins, 1/2 cup cried apples (chopped up) and a cinnamon stick
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I dont cook my oats i mix them the night before, place in the fridge and eat in the morning cold:

1/2 cup quick oats
    1 scoop choc protien powder
    1 banana
    1 tbs Nutty PB
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup almond milk

About 650 cals 75carb/56pro/20 fat
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You make 4 servings? for 4 days? and then warm it up each day?
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like it a bit different. Mix it with raisins and apple juice (about 75ml to every 50g of oats) then leave it overnight and top with Greek yogurt and mixed berries in the morning. It's really good :)
  • Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats with cinnamon, raisins, chopped walnuts and a bit of maple syrup.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats cooked in water, then topped with sauteed spinach, a fried egg, a little drizzle of olive oil, 2 or three swipes of parmesan over the grater, salt and pepper. perfection.

OR

steel cut oats cooked in water, add 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/8 cup chopped walnuts, 2 tsp honey, 1 tsp cinnamon
  • toherlimit
    toherlimit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I microwave 1/4 cup of oatmeal (75 cals) with 1/2 cup of unsweetened original flavor almond milk (15 cals) for 3:15 and then I sweeten it with a teaspoon of light brown sugar (15 cals). Sometimes I use blueberries, but more often than not, I use the brown sugar. It's not a big serving, but I'm not crazy about oatmeal, so it's what I can stomach. Also, I know the brown sugar isn't the healthiest option, but my dad told me his doctor once said, "If adding a little bit of sugar is what it takes to convince yourself to eat it, it's worth it." I agree with that sentiment! My serving is 105 calories. Not bad!

The replies to this thread are tempting me to branch out. ;)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well mine is not broke so it doesn't need to be fixed...lol (Just kidding) :drinker:

But seriously...

1/3 cup measured dry, heat up water in a tea kettle, pour over top of oatmeal...let stand for a minute and eat!
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My fav is Old fashioned oats, blueberries, chia seeds, vanilla protein powder and slivered almonds!..oh and almond milk
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Truvia, apple chunks, strawberry slices, cinnamon, nutmeg, peanut butter, PB2, chocolate chips. Not all together, but a combination of any of those on a given day depending on what I'm feeling like.
  • Tracie1082
    Tracie1082 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I fix mine with raisens, cinnamon, sprinkle some vanille protein powder and add fruit on top. Yum! :)
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just a little brown sugar, raisins, and milk
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bump!