Still think 'eating organic' isn't worth it?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. It makes me upset to think of how Monsanto and other companies like this are simply being allowed to RAPE our world virtually unchecked...I buy almost 100% organic and while it is pricey there are ways to save here and there. Many organic companies have coupons and my local natural market has great specials and gives you $25 to spend for every $500 you have spent. At Whole Foods you can buy store brands that are cheaper, even my local market has thier own brand for supplements and stuff. I also do without lots of other stuff like the latest tablet/cell phone and I'll drive my car into the ground before I buy a new one. I totally understand that sometimes eating all organic isn't attainable but do the best you can and you'll be surprised where you can find the extra money for groceries with a shift in priorities.

Oooo, someone said RAPE. WE HAVE AN INTERNET BADASS RIGHT HERE!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many folks are trusting the government agency (the same one they say is subject to the whims of megacorps like Monsanto) to label and regulate our "organic" food?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5068682

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-07-03/news/36836942_1_organic-label-organic-products-usda-organic

I don't like the idea of pesticides/chemicals in my food or GMO being the norm. But I also sure as hell don't trust the USDA to take on this task! And no...I'm not a wingnut...or maybe I am. :)

I believe this is why you should look for the label to say that it has been certified organic by a 3rd party such as Oregon Tilth and there are some others that I don't remember off the top of my head. At least that is another layer of cred to the label and the 3rd parties are tougher than the govt.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i love the free range argument, it really makes my day,

if we are worried about a chickens welfare, in terms of its living environment and quality of life, surely kidnapping its children everyday is the worst thing we can do? if chickens are emotional enough to be worried about sunshine then surely they would have a bond with there undeveloped embryo?

i mean, is it just me or is child abduction awful whether you live in a nice house or a crappy shack?

you should do some reading on the benefits of free range/pastured... I used to think the same thing... it is not about keeping the animal happy, it is about the animal getting access to the diet and sun light it should have in nature. Chicken are omnivoures and in nature eat insects high in protein.... when fed a grain diet, the eggs (and chicken) is significantntly less nutricious. Corn and grain in general is a fairly non-nutritive filler.

Additionally, taking an egg from a chicken is not child abduction, unless a woman having her period each month is having an abortion. A wild/feral chicken will lay eggs fairly regularly, regardless of whether she's even ever seen a rooster, and if she hasn't, those eggs could never produce a chick. And, most eggs she lays even if she has been with a rooster and are fertile, she won't sit on - only "broody" hens will sit on their eggs, and while they lay eggs between daily and several times a week depending on breed/diet/age/daylight length/etc., they will only sit on the eggs for a portion of the year.

So, sure, if you take an egg from a broody hen sitting on it, you could call that child abduction. You'll also be likely to get your hand pecked pretty authoritatively. But if you take an egg from a hen that isn't interested in it becoming a chick, it never would have had that opportunity anyway, and she won't be upset in the slightest.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. It makes me upset to think of how Monsanto and other companies like this are simply being allowed to RAPE our world virtually unchecked...I buy almost 100% organic and while it is pricey there are ways to save here and there. Many organic companies have coupons and my local natural market has great specials and gives you $25 to spend for every $500 you have spent. At Whole Foods you can buy store brands that are cheaper, even my local market has thier own brand for supplements and stuff. I also do without lots of other stuff like the latest tablet/cell phone and I'll drive my car into the ground before I buy a new one. I totally understand that sometimes eating all organic isn't attainable but do the best you can and you'll be surprised where you can find the extra money for groceries with a shift in priorities.

I really wish people understood what 'rape' really is. Hint: It's not something Monsanto does.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    every one I have asked who I have bought produce from have stated they don't use chemicals and pesticides but can't afford to be certified organic.

This is a total lie. Either they lied to you or you lied to us. I assume it's the latter, since no one goes to all the vendors at a farmer's market asking "are you using chemicals" and gets told "no but I can't afford to go organic" by "all of them."

Organic doesn't mean "chemical free." Organic farms use pesticides and fertilizers and hosts of other chemicals.

Excuse me, don't call me a liar, you don't know everything just because you can look up an article and you have no idea how it is where I live. My farmers market is not big, there are probably 4 vendors selling produce, so yes it is very easy to go and talk to the farmers that are there. And I have asked each one of them there growing practices, when you visit the market every week it very easy to get friendly with the growers there. And I didn't say everyone single one of them said they can't afford to go organic, I said the ones I have asked. I don't ask everyone of them why they aren't certified, but I do ask them if they use pesticides and chemicals, and most are passionate about what they do and have no problem having a discussion with you over this matter. Furthermore, the farms they are coming from are a few towns away and have been to a couple of them that told me the same thing the guy at the market did.

There are a lot of farmers that were "organic" growing farms before the government came in and started labeling things organic. There are a lot of smaller farms around here that pride themselves on these practices because they live an holistic organic lifestyle themselves. Not all of them use the "organic pesticides" and such just because they are allowed to. Some just use hard work and care for their crops.

If you don't want to buy organic then don't, but I dont see why people get bashed for wanting to not have crap chemicals and such on their food. The "organic" chemical list is obviously not the same chemicals as are used on conventional crops. When you have to wear masks and special gear to spray these chemicals on the food we are going to eat, that alone should make you question how safe they are. And for ones who say the government says they won't hurt you in moderation, well eating stuff with it on there everyday is NOT moderation.

Don't attack me and call me a liar because I don't agree with you, very inconsiderate.

ETA - before I get anymore crap, I am not speaking of organic products in the stores, I am talking strictly about farmer's markets. Alot of organic in the stores is from big companies that have organic "departments" so they can jump on the bandwagon and I am sure a lot of those do use the allowed chemicals. But don't bunch them all together when I am sure you haven't done research to know which ones do or don't. I research the companies a lot and do look up these companies to find out about them, and make my choices the best I can on the information I am given.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options

I really wish people understood what 'rape' really is. Hint: It's not something Monsanto does.

Wow, taking things a bit literally?
  • aquilabean
    aquilabean Posts: 5
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many folks are trusting the government agency (the same one they say is subject to the whims of megacorps like Monsanto) to label and regulate our "organic" food?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5068682

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-07-03/news/36836942_1_organic-label-organic-products-usda-organic

I don't like the idea of pesticides/chemicals in my food or GMO being the norm. But I also sure as hell don't trust the USDA to take on this task! And no...I'm not a wingnut...or maybe I am. :)

I believe this is why you should look for the label to say that it has been certified organic by a 3rd party such as Oregon Tilth and there are some others that I don't remember off the top of my head. At least that is another layer of cred to the label and the 3rd parties are tougher than the govt.

actually, that doesn't seem to be entirely true, since they essentially work as an agent of USDA, using the USDA's guidelines. This is straight from their own website:
    What is Oregon Tilth’s involvement with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) Standard?
    Oregon Tilth is one of the USDA NOP accredited certifiers. We certify to the standard of the USDA, following their guidelines as our only standard for agricultural products in the USA. The USDA does not actually have any direct interaction with you, the producer, so as an accredited certifier, we authorize people to use the USDA label after they have undergone the certification process.

This definitely isn't a black and white issue. Knowing your farmer/visiting their farm, or growing your own food is the only way to really know what you are eating. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible which is why we need leaders IN agriculture trying to figure out a way to feed the masses in a way that is sustainable, healthy, and ethical.
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    While I cannot grow all of my own food, I grow what I can. I don't trust ANY food I buy, whether it's labeled organic or not (not that I don't eat it, I just don't trust it). Not everything organic is good for you.

Tar is organic, but I wouldn't eat it!!
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    are you going to pay for my groceries? i buy organic when i can, but sometimes it just too expensive.

Check your local farmer's markets, also, see what you can grow at home. Sometimes just a few little things help in the big picture. The one good thing is that organic foods are starting to really come down in price. A lot of times fruits and veggies are less than 50 cents more per kg/lb

Be careful in assuming that the produce at the local farmers market is better than the grocery store. I know that many of the vendors at ours are getting their products from the very same farms in the US and Mexico that the big box stores do. When buying from the farmers market, make sure to ask where their farm is and if it is possible for you to drive by and see it. If they can't answer - walk away and find someone who can.

There's a big farmers' market outside of Orlando (in Winter Park) that I was appalled to realize not only didn't sell organic, but also wasn't local (except for one or two "specialty" booths with limited selection). They try to pass themselves off like small farmers, but the organic produce selection was far smaller than what I could find at any Publix. They even trucked in their orange from California (Oranges! To Florida!) when every other neighbor has a perfectly good orange tree in their yard! Produce wasn't necessarily cheaper and it wasn't organic, so why was I waking up early to fight the crowds on a Saturday morning again?

Definitely be careful because I've checked out several others since, and I've found more that sell conventional produce than don't. I'm definitely one who tries to buy organic when it's available and fits the budget, but I don't like when these guys try dupe people.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Of those that are outraged by Monsanto and their practices, what do you do about it?

If you are American, have you written your congressional representatives and let them know your views on bills being voted on right now, like repealing the Monsanto Protection Act, or the King Amendment, that may take away states’ rights to label genetically modified organisms (GMOs)?

Do you support organizations that lobby for organizations that fight for farmer's rights and better farming practices?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Wow, taking things a bit literally?

You just used some powerful language to denounce an agricultural corporation.

Please explain how Monsanto is 'raping' the earth. Be specific.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

if we are worried about a chickens welfare, in terms of its living environment and quality of life, surely kidnapping its children everyday is the worst thing we can do? if chickens are emotional enough to be worried about sunshine then surely they would have a bond with there undeveloped embryo?

i mean, is it just me or is child abduction awful whether you live in a nice house or a crappy shack?

My grandfather use to raise them....100 or so at a time. They aren't "emotionally" attached to anything. As a matter of fact, they are a pretty disgusting animal to watch live, they get infected with lice/fleas, eat them off of each others bodies (causing bare spots on their skin etc...)

He also raised cows, turkeys, rabbits, pigs etc.... We killed them when it was time...wasn't a big deal then...usually if one got sick, it got the axe immediately, so it wouldn't spread whatever it had to the others.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Didn't eat organic when I was born and don't eat it now. Neither have my parents who are well into their 80's with no health issues but normal wear out of body parts. So yeah, right now I think that it isn't worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    17723028.jpg
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Damn, I've just had two boiled eggs for breakfast, now I feel guilty............

Don't feel guilty about eating eggs, they are unfertilized. You ate chicken menses.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Still think 'eating organic' isn't worth it?

Yep, still do! :flowerforyou:
  • staceybradleywells
    staceybradleywells Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about buying local than organic.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about buying local than organic.

same or growing it myself then I know exactly what's happened to it
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Your money is what matters. Put it towards not crap food and the market will go in the right direction. the solution is in the dollar. Give it to the right people and demand change. The freedom to eat local or organic foods is most def threatend. It should be a human right to be able to have access to helathy foods. However that is not the case for everyone and the more money we can devote to local farmers the more it helps them grow and make evil corporations change. or hopfeully die out.

hoping for change. or a revoulution.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I am OK with not eating organic... I like me some chemicals.

I really didn't read this it was too long. I lost interest after about the first sentence.