Still think 'eating organic' isn't worth it?

Options
123457»

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

i don't understand how anyone could say that eating stuff grown from the earth in the way it's been done for thousands of years "isn't for them"

Please see below:
    Sorry but there is no way on earth I'm paying $8 a kilo of bananas when I can buy them for $2. No way I'm paying $9 punnet of blueberries when I can get them for $3.

It's NOT worth it, not price wise & if that is what it comes down to then I wont be eating...cause I wont be able to afford anything.

I'll stick with my washed food thanks.

^This is exactly why it's not worth it and it's "not for me." I just graduated college, I'm unemployed and somehow even MORE broke than I was when I was taking classes (didn't think that was possible.) No way in hell I'm paying double price or more for my food, especially when it will go bad more quickly. If I tried to do that, I would starve to death.

I wash all my produce and I use the vinegar/water trick. Might not be "organic" but it's good enough for me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

i don't understand how anyone could say that eating stuff grown from the earth in the way it's been done for thousands of years "isn't for them"

Please see below:
    Sorry but there is no way on earth I'm paying $8 a kilo of bananas when I can buy them for $2. No way I'm paying $9 punnet of blueberries when I can get them for $3.

It's NOT worth it, not price wise & if that is what it comes down to then I wont be eating...cause I wont be able to afford anything.

^This is exactly why it's not worth it and it's "not for me." I just graduated college, I'm unemployed and somehow even MORE broke than I was when I was taking classes (didn't think that was possible.) No way in hell I'm paying double price or more for my food, especially when it will go bad more quickly. If I tried to do that, I would starve to death.

I wash all my produce and I use the vinegar/water trick. Might not be "organic" but it's good enough for me.

Pretty much this. Until aldis sell organic stuff for the same price as the other stuff, I'm no buying it. I'll settle for washing my produce and take my chances from there.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    So the take-home message here is to wear a respirator and safety suit when cleaning out industrial pesticide tanks.

Got it.

Makes sense to me.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. It makes me upset to think of how Monsanto and other companies like this are simply being allowed to RAPE our world virtually unchecked...I buy almost 100% organic and while it is pricey there are ways to save here and there. Many organic companies have coupons and my local natural market has great specials and gives you $25 to spend for every $500 you have spent. At Whole Foods you can buy store brands that are cheaper, even my local market has thier own brand for supplements and stuff. I also do without lots of other stuff like the latest tablet/cell phone and I'll drive my car into the ground before I buy a new one. I totally understand that sometimes eating all organic isn't attainable but do the best you can and you'll be surprised where you can find the extra money for groceries with a shift in priorities.

WOW! a 0.05% discount. That's awesome!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. It makes me upset to think of how Monsanto and other companies like this are simply being allowed to RAPE our world virtually unchecked...I buy almost 100% organic and while it is pricey there are ways to save here and there. Many organic companies have coupons and my local natural market has great specials and gives you $25 to spend for every $500 you have spent. At Whole Foods you can buy store brands that are cheaper, even my local market has thier own brand for supplements and stuff. I also do without lots of other stuff like the latest tablet/cell phone and I'll drive my car into the ground before I buy a new one. I totally understand that sometimes eating all organic isn't attainable but do the best you can and you'll be surprised where you can find the extra money for groceries with a shift in priorities.

Oooo, someone said RAPE. WE HAVE AN INTERNET BADASS RIGHT HERE!

I really wish people understood what 'rape' really is. Hint: It's not something Monsanto does.

Wow, taking things a bit literally?

Just calling out stupidity.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    WOW, finally a win against Monsanto!!

Unless people start voting with their dollars, it will never happen in the United States though
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    All I know is the world population is growing. More crops will be needed which means more food for pests. There will have to be a balance if we dont want to starve.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Silly business has become a religion with Monsanto cast as the devil.

Too much feeling going on and not near enough thinking about the consequences of a return to non-industrialized farming.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I buy organic when I can. Some things like strawberries, celery, potatoes, peanuts. and apples I will forgo if I can't find organic. Other stuff like tomatoes, beans and some peppers... herbs and garlic I grow myself. I know that not everyone will have that option of desire but it works for us. It's important that I nourish my kids the best way I can and I like that they learn where their food comes from.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

Same here. I highly doubt anyone here arguing that you really can eat organic for the same price isn't living on an $20 weekly budget for food. I shopped at Whole Foods for a couple weeks when I moved to a new neighborhood since it was nearby. I bought the cheapest versions of food I could find, and the cheapest produce. Still cost almost 3x as much as when I got it from the discount grocer. When I'm busy going in debt from school, I'm not going to spend money I don't have on organic food.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    All food is so tainted now, it's not even worth wasting my money. Organic claims? If I don't see you grow it, then I don't really believe it's organic. Just because it has a sticker or a label doesn't mean anything to me. Those stickers and labels could easily be bought.

Not saying organic food doesn't exist. Just that I'll never really know if that's what I've actually paid for. So **** it, I'll spend more money on more food. So far so good.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options

every one I have asked who I have bought produce from have stated they don't use chemicals and pesticides but can't afford to be certified organic.

You might suggest to your prefered produce vendors that they look into Certified Naturally Grown. It is based on the original organic standards, but the standards have actually become more stringent for CNG, while a lot of the more difficult criteria to meet have been reduced for USDA Organic. So it's actually a little more restrictive on the growing practices end. But it's a LOT less paperwork, and a lot less expensive.

We've had both certifications (simultaneously at one point), and when people ask us the difference, we usually describe it as USDA Organic is about what you say you do, and CNG is about what you actually do. Anyway, if they're being honest about using natural growing practices, CNG is a much less expensive way to get a third party verification that you are doing what you say.
  • chadgard
    Options
    :drinker: THIS!!!!

For the people eating organic, what are your long term goals to prevent famine?

My plan would be support traditional, diversified farming methods and local and regional food systems. Traditional farming methods are easier to do organically because the reasons one needs to use GMOs and toxic chemicals all arise from large scale monoculture farming methods. Given that those methods also produce less food per acre and the risk of serious consequences derived from pests, disease, drought, flood, political strife, acts of terrorism, and so forth are higher. There is better production and resiliency in diversification and smaller scale.

For the people opposed to organic, what are your long term goals to prevent famine when we no longer have the oil and natural gas available to spend 4 calories worth of fossil fuels to produce 1 calorie of food?
  • chadgard
    Options
    Why do people act like organic farmers don't use pesticides? They absolutely do.

The obvious answer seems the type of pesticides.

The type of pesticides, and the philosophy behind their use. An organic farmer -should- only use pesticides once there is an actual problem, and at the minimum use possible to achieve the needed reduction in damage. Conventional farming takes a prophylactic approach, and sprays pesticides before any economic damage occurs, or even before any pests are seen.

Also, SOME organic farmers use pesticides. Not all do, so to say they absolutely do would be incorrect. We only use one pesticide (unless you call ducks, chickens, and fingers pesticides) on our farm, and don't do so every year. It's derived from a naturally-occurring soil bacterium, and we only use it AFTER the Colorado Potato Beetles start destroying things, and then only use it at the point in their life cycle when we'll get the maximum control with the minimum amount of pesticide used. this is in keeping with the pesticide philosophy expected in organic growing, as well as an economic necessity because natural pesticides are, as a rule, quite expensive...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    :drinker: THIS!!!!

For the people eating organic, what are your long term goals to prevent famine?

My plan would be support traditional, diversified farming methods and local and regional food systems. Traditional farming methods are easier to do organically because the reasons one needs to use GMOs and toxic chemicals all arise from large scale monoculture farming methods. Given that those methods also produce less food per acre and the risk of serious consequences derived from pests, disease, drought, flood, political strife, acts of terrorism, and so forth are higher. There is better production and resiliency in diversification and smaller scale.

For the people opposed to organic, what are your long term goals to prevent famine when we no longer have the oil and natural gas available to spend 4 calories worth of fossil fuels to produce 1 calorie of food?

Additionally, require local zoning laws to make reasonable allowances for owning a couple damn chickens.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    are you going to pay for my groceries? i buy organic when i can, but sometimes it just too expensive.

Check your local farmer's markets, also, see what you can grow at home. Sometimes just a few little things help in the big picture. The one good thing is that organic foods are starting to really come down in price. A lot of times fruits and veggies are less than 50 cents more per kg/lb

Not in Alaska they're not... organic stuff is double or more than the regular produce which is already high...