It's a fad diet if...

Replies

• cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    oopsie.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

Ok, most people fail at calorie counting and low fat diets also, so where does that make them any different than a low carb plan that someone is doing low fat or calorie counting for a short time and then goes back to their original eating habits.

It is no different.

so you're not answering the question? You're just going to ask a different one instead?

EDIT

incidentally, I'm not afraid to answer this, I just hate when people try to avoid answering questions.

so to answer your question, the difference is attempting and failing to live a lifestyle is completely different then starting out with the goal of dieting for 2 weeks.

I answered your question.

Someone that goes on a low calorie or low fat diet to lose weight for a wedding is a FAD, just like someone going on Atkins for 2 weeks for a wedding...............

See, there is NO Difference.

People will not call the low fat or low calorie diet a Fad though, just as you have avoided doing.

OK, so I've agreed with that from the beginning. so then why did you dispute me in the first place?
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    The problem with topics like this is that everyone is going to leave the thread with the same opinion they had upon entering. No one is going to change their mind. That being said...

You can't cite anecdotal evidence as scientific fact. It's all well and good to say "Look at my blood work as proof," but in the end, you're one person in a population. Different diets work for different people, because it's what they can stick with. If Atkins/low carb works for you because you can be consistent with it, then hot damn! You keep doing what you're doing. And that goes for any LIFESTYLE CHANGE (i.e., not a "fad diet").

So if we can't use anecdotal evidence to prove a point, what about scientific research? Several books were mentioned, but I think more people would be convinced of the merits of your lifestyle if you cited research that has been published in a scholarly, peer -reviewed medical journal, instead of a book. Researchers aren't getting paid by how many people read their articles (unlike authors of books), hence no conflict of interest.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member

Ok, most people fail at calorie counting and low fat diets also, so where does that make them any different than a low carb plan that someone is doing low fat or calorie counting for a short time and then goes back to their original eating habits.

It is no different.

so you're not answering the question? You're just going to ask a different one instead?

EDIT

incidentally, I'm not afraid to answer this, I just hate when people try to avoid answering questions.

so to answer your question, the difference is attempting and failing to live a lifestyle is completely different then starting out with the goal of dieting for 2 weeks.

I answered your question.

Someone that goes on a low calorie or low fat diet to lose weight for a wedding is a FAD, just like someone going on Atkins for 2 weeks for a wedding...............

See, there is NO Difference.

People will not call the low fat or low calorie diet a Fad though, just as you have avoided doing.
    No one calls the low fat or low calorie diets fads because they're currently not. According to its definition, a fad is a "fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze" The low card diet right now is considered a fad because it's very popular and is the latest craze, but it won't last in popularity. That's not to say it doesn't work or isn't healthy if done correctly and becomes that person's new lifestyle. But if someone only does that diet for a brief period of time JUST to lose weight and then goes back to PRE-DIET eating habits, then yes even the low-carb diet then becomes a fad. It all comes down to context and individual use, so I really think all this "discussion" is a moot point.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    It's either the inability to read emotions through the internet or people are being quite aggressive in this thread...this is quite unsettling!

Each to their own, I say :flowerforyou:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    :laugh: Just thought this was funny..s ince were all taking about LOW CARBS.. south beach ad's keep coming up on my advertisments..LOL
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

No one calls the low fat or low calorie diets fads because they're currently not. According to its definition, a fad is a "fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze" The low card diet right now is considered a fad because it's very popular and is the latest craze, but it won't last in popularity. That's not to say it doesn't work or isn't healthy if done correctly and becomes that person's new lifestyle. But if someone only does that diet for a brief period of time JUST to lose weight and then goes back to PRE-DIET eating habits, then yes even the low-carb diet then becomes a fad. It all comes down to context and individual use, so I really think all this "discussion" is a moot point.

I would tend to agree. Although we could (theoretically) stretch this to low calorie or "calorie counting" as well several times in the last 25 years (I.E. weight watchers, and the current move toward counting calories with the rash of calorie counting sites online). So there is some merit to what J25L is saying, I just think it's a bit acute to NOT consider the latest wave of low carb as anything BUT a fad, but all the while noting what you said in the beginning and not discounting the possibility that it can be done as a lifestyle in a healthy way (just as calorie counting can be part of a healthy lifestyle).
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    If they weren't being backed by some other agenda, they might be credible.

I just choose to believe that is more accurate research than reading books. Actually, I could argue that these are much more likely to be written with an agenda... because selling a book can make a lot of money..

These two statements (first quote by July, second by lilmissy) kind of state it all.

July, I'm not bashing your lifestyle, just trying to understand how you can tell us to read all these books (none of which are non profit, which means these writers have to push them to make money off them, some of which could be called Fads, some of which could not if followed for the person's lifetime), but won't take anyone else's advice to simply read a research article.

I would think many obese people are looking for a quick fix, and when the books for all these diets don't work for them they'll stop doing them, hence the term Fad.

I didn't see the OP bashing any one lifestyle, but you sure came out like gangbusters and started bashing anyone else that tried to give a valid opinion.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Too much of any one thing is not good for anybody. Whether is be carbs or meats or ANYTHING you put in your mouth. Balance is better.This is not from a book or a medical expert . Just my experience. No one is gonna be swayed to one side or the other here.Everyone is gonna believe in the research that supports their own claims. We all want to be healthy let's just focus on that and stop trying to' reform' each other.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Sorry but they weren't pushing anything they are drs. of the heart Saturated Fats are bad for you and my blood work proves that. It is what clogs your arteries and is not fine to be eating.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    I think there is some confusion here.

July, you said that low carb = natural, unprocessed foods. That's not true. You do not follow an unprocessed foods diet, and there are also a lot of unprocessed carbs that someone following a natural diet would eat.

Is it possible that what you are considering as carbs is different from what everyone else is talking about??

::EDIT:: & I say your diet is not unprocessed foods based on what I saw in your diary.
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Okay...I have to throw my 2 cents worth in as another fellow Atkins follower. For everyone who wants to bash the lifestyle, why not go and read on the "diet" itself? Or perhaps check out the food diaries of those who follow Atkins? I've been doing this for almost a year with a lot of success and have felt an overall improvement in my health and well being since cutting out the processed carbs and crap. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies and will eat healthy grains or the occasional sweet potato when I want it. I also still eat "bad" carbs. I'll eat crappy chocolate or have some pasta or god forbid, potatoes, just because I want them! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I eat very healthy - a lot of protein and fiber, lean meats, green veggies, fresh fruits. I mean really, to all you naysayers who calorie count or follow a different "diet" how is this but so much different from how YOU eat?

Really guys...just don't bash something until you know what it's all about...:grumble:

This is exactly what I am saying!!!

I eat the same way, except for no grains or beans for me.

Just a quick question...If you are on the Atkins "diet" or 'lifestyle"...whatever you want to call it....why are you on here tracking calories....According to Atkins...that is the nice thing about it....no calorie tracking?? Just wondering...not being argumentative :)
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Okay...I have to throw my 2 cents worth in as another fellow Atkins follower. For everyone who wants to bash the lifestyle, why not go and read on the "diet" itself? Or perhaps check out the food diaries of those who follow Atkins? I've been doing this for almost a year with a lot of success and have felt an overall improvement in my health and well being since cutting out the processed carbs and crap. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies and will eat healthy grains or the occasional sweet potato when I want it. I also still eat "bad" carbs. I'll eat crappy chocolate or have some pasta or god forbid, potatoes, just because I want them! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I eat very healthy - a lot of protein and fiber, lean meats, green veggies, fresh fruits. I mean really, to all you naysayers who calorie count or follow a different "diet" how is this but so much different from how YOU eat?

Really guys...just don't bash something until you know what it's all about...:grumble:

I do eat my beans!! They are carb heavy but still very nutritious; I have to watch my portions on them. Just high fiber, so watch out! :blushing:
  • saverys_gal

Just a quick question...If you are on the Atkins "diet" or 'lifestyle"...whatever you want to call it....why are you on here tracking calories....According to Atkins...that is the nice thing about it....no calorie tracking?? Just wondering...not being argumentative :)

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the non-argumentative question! LOL. To my knowledge there aren't any sites out there that allow me to track just my carb intake along with my protein, fiber etc etc, so I make do with how MFP is set up. I have my food diary set up to what I want my daily intake to be and don't really give 2 figs about my calorie intake is. Also I enjoy being able to use the exercise tracker and love coming onto the message boards. And you're right, I don't have to track calories, and it's pretty easy to just use a sticky note to track my carb intake for the day, but like anyone else trying to stay on track, it's easier with a daily food diary!! :happy:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member

For what it is worth, I agree that low carbohydrate diets will help you lose weight but I also believe it comes at a nutritional and health cost.

Why do you say health cost?

[/quote]

Just to clarify, I meant a cost to your health not the cost (as in money) of food. Sorry for the confusion.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    I get the feeling that some people could argue with a wall.

Im sure this nice post was certainly not meant to get anyone's panties in a bunch or to spark a good 'ol internet-style bashing. If something works for you, Lionness, Great! Keep up the good work! But did you ever hear the saying "You catch more flies with honey...."? Perhaps more people would be willing to discuss this topic and more willing to read the research you have cited if you present it in a nicer, calmer manner with facts instead of anecdotes or "because I said so"-type arguments.
    Just sayin'.

In the end, it seems like its a matter of semantics, no? Call it a "Fad"....call it a "potion"....call it a "lifestyle change"...who cares!? In the end, you only have to answer to yourself in the mirror or on the scale.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the non-argumentative question! LOL. To my knowledge there aren't any sites out there that allow me to track just my carb intake along with my protein, fiber etc etc, so I make do with how MFP is set up. I have my food diary set up to what I want my daily intake to be and don't really give 2 figs about my calorie intake is. Also I enjoy being able to use the exercise tracker and love coming onto the message boards. And you're right, I don't have to track calories, and it's pretty easy to just use a sticky note to track my carb intake for the day, but like anyone else trying to stay on track, it's easier with a daily food diary!! :happy:

Congratulations on your success with low carb! I'm happy to see that this is working for you!

See! I like this type of getting along...the no carbs/low carbs/carbs...why do I feel like Polyanna? :laugh:
  • saverys_gal

Congratulations on your success with low carb! I'm happy to see that this is working for you!

See! I like this type of getting along...the no carbs/low carbs/carbs...why do I feel like Polyanna? :laugh:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Cheers all around! I agree! That's what I was hoping for when I saw this thread!! I know most everyone here counts calories and a lot of people either disagree or don't understand low-carb etc etc so I was looking forward to a DISCUSSION like the adults we are! Glad we're starting to get there!
    I say we all have to do what works for us! Obviously no grapefruit diets or anything...but different things work for different people. I did three months of calorie counting to a T and didn't lose a pound and was just miserable the whole time. I was so happy when I came back to my low carb principles. :smile:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    I get the feeling that some people could argue with a wall.

Im sure this nice post was certainly not meant to get anyone's panties in a bunch or to spark a good 'ol internet-style bashing. If something works for you, Lionness, Great! Keep up the good work! But did you ever hear the saying "You catch more flies with honey...."? Perhaps more people would be willing to discuss this topic and more willing to read the research you have cited if you present it in a nicer, calmer manner with facts instead of anecdotes or "because I said so"-type arguments.
    Just sayin'.

In the end, it seems like its a matter of semantics, no? Call it a "Fad"....call it a "potion"....call it a "lifestyle change"...who cares!? In the end, you only have to answer to yourself in the mirror or on the scale.

Here here :flowerforyou: Nicely said :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

I have to agree with the original post as far as the fad diets.

I would like to know though where all the attitude some people on this site comes from? We are all here for the same reason! And July as far as making the statement that you eat healthier than the MAJORITY of people on this site, I am pretty sure that is not correct unless you have doen your research of the thousands who use it and have checked out all of their food diaries.
    There is absolutely no reason to get on these boards and have attitude towards one another. If you want to have attitude have it about something that deserves attitude, not a person that is posting something trying to help all of us. If you are angry, go for a walk and cool off before deciding to post. And finally have a great day.....
    :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.