It's a fad diet if...

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    And I shouldn't have to say I eat "all natural" when I am a low carber. Yes, basically it is the same in theory.............However, I have a structured plan that I follow and I should be able to talk about it as freely as the next person does on this site.

Dude, seriously.... I cannot believe I am the only person who has said anything about this. Perhaps nobody else in this discussion has eaten an all natural diet and doesn't know better, but THIS statement takes every bit of your credibility away--- period. This is not true in any way whatsoever. A low carb diet has nothing to do with a natural diet, and a natural diet has nothing to do with a low carb diet. Can they both be done simultaneously? Yes. But does doing one lead you to doing another? Not even close! What in the world are you talking about?

*waves hands around* Okay, again as I seem to be the only other low carber (and I play nice :laugh: ) I have to speak up! You are totally right! NO they do not necessarily go hand in hand! You can definitely combine the two but just because you eat low carb does not necessarily mean you eat all natural! I'm wishing I had my Atkins book handy right about now to see if that's mentioned anywhere in it because I'm pretty sure it's not!

And right on to everyone pointing out that certain peoples are using "processed" food!! *gasp* It's BAD. :laugh: Kinda contradicts the "I make all my own food and only eat all natural"....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Where am I contradicting myself? 95-99% of the time, I make every thing I eat. Few occasions where I eat out or use something that is bottled or packaged. I haven't eaten anything frozen in years.

The point is that you're getting uber defensive and bashing people that eat 100 calorie packs or something similar yet you admit to eating a BK burger or something for convenience. It's no different. We all make substitutions within our diets because face it, we can't bring our lunch all the time our prepare our meals 100% of the time.
    I just think you're being really high and mighty about eating all natural and clean and low carb, yet you improvise just like the rest of us. There's nothing WRONG with it. Just don't say that you're better than everyone else when you're just the same.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Where am I contradicting myself? 95-99% of the time, I make every thing I eat. Few occasions where I eat out or use something that is bottled or packaged. I haven't eaten anything frozen in years.

You may eat that way, and that's great. But you are also saying that a low carb diet suggests an all natural diet, which just isn't true. Whatever book you read may promote low carbs AND unprocessed foods, but those diets are not the same thing or even remotely similar.

::EDIT:: Wanted to add..... my problem with that is you are criticizing people for not doing the research but you clearly haven't done the research either, not if you consider a low carb diet to equal a non-processed diet.

Also wanted to add that I understand the slip ups. Hell, I fell off the wagon entirely after eating 100% unprocessed for many months. After eating that way, things like 100 cal packs do gross you out (just as anyone eating healthy gets grossed out by greasy fast food.)
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Whats wrong with frozen things!?!?!!

I always buy frozen peas... they are always the freshest!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    And I shouldn't have to say I eat "all natural" when I am a low carber. Yes, basically it is the same in theory.............However, I have a structured plan that I follow and I should be able to talk about it as freely as the next person does on this site.

Dude, seriously.... I cannot believe I am the only person who has said anything about this. Perhaps nobody else in this discussion has eaten an all natural diet and doesn't know better, but THIS statement takes every bit of your credibility away--- period. This is not true in any way whatsoever. A low carb diet has nothing to do with a natural diet, and a natural diet has nothing to do with a low carb diet. Can they both be done simultaneously? Yes. But does doing one lead you to doing another? Not even close! What in the world are you talking about?

If you are doing a Low Carb Plan the CORRECT way, you are eating an all natural or as close to natural eating plan over 85% of the time.

If someone is living off of Frozen South Beach meals and other processed foods and merely keeps carb low, that is not a low carb plan. That is a processed eating plan. In the 2002 edition of the Atkins book it stresses about shopping the perimeter of the store and eating WHOLE processed foods.
  • July24Lioness

You may eat that way, and that's great. But you are also saying that a low carb diet suggests an all natural diet, which just isn't true. Whatever book you read may promote low carbs AND unprocessed foods, but those diets are not the same thing or even remotely similar.

Low Carb when done correctly DOES suggest eating an all natural diet.

And in a pinch, I would rather eat 2 bunless double cheeseburgers from Burger King than to go to a grocery store and eat a frozen meal from a microwave. There is a lot less processing in those hamburgers than that frozen meal.
  • July24Lioness
    Whats wrong with frozen things!?!?!!

I always buy frozen peas... they are always the freshest!!!

Nothing is wrong with frozen veggies, I purchase some frozen veggies from time to time. I am talking like the microwave meals and such.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    I think most people get a negative view about low-carb from the 1-2 week induction on atkins. it's the most talked about part of it and most people tend to get sick, and drop it, then tell all their friends how horrible it was.

I'm clearly not an expert on diets, and have no preference either way...but I see nothing wrong with someone choosing to do what suits them.

I tried atkins for 1 week (actually I think it was like 3 days lol). I really wanted to stick with it, but felt soo terrible that I gave it up.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    :smile: Ya know what, you're RIGHT.:flowerforyou:

Damn it! Why didn't this work!?

Now it is spreading to other threads like a virus.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99668-weight-loss-myths-exposed?hl=ketosis+irritability&page=2#posts-1377805

Enough is enough people. July feels the way that she feels. She is unapoligetic about it. So be it. We are getting no where with the back and forth.

She makes SOME good points. She's found something that works for her. Awesome.

We are on page 5 of a thread I can't even remember the OP for. It seems like the community is is expecting an apology for things that came across as offensive. I don't think it's going to happen so moving on would just healthier for all of us.

July, the quicker you come to understand that people are "attacking" your attitude and not your "lifestyle" the happier you will be here. Somehow I doubt that matters to you and I'm really not expecting a change. You seem to create the drama wherever you go. I hope you prove me wrong.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    I think most people get a negative view about low-carb from the 1-2 week induction on atkins. it's the most talked about part of it and most people tend to get sick, and drop it, then tell all their friends how horrible it was.

I'm clearly not an expert on diets, and have no preference either way...but I see nothing wrong with someone choosing to do what suits them.

I tried atkins for 1 week (actually I think it was like 3 days lol). I really wanted to stick with it, but felt soo terrible that I gave it up.

You're very right that induction is very rough. It is the make it or break it of Atkins. I think if you can go through that phase HONESTLY then it can be the right path for you. But I agree with you in that that's how it tended to get a bad rap. And thanks for pointing out that we should all be doing what works best for us. Couldn't have said it better myself. :flowerforyou:
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99668-weight-loss-myths-exposed?hl=ketosis+irritability&page=2#posts-1377805

Enough is enough people. July feels the way that she feels. She is unapoligetic about it. So be it. We are getting no where with the back and forth.

We are on page 5 of a thread I can't even remember the OP for. It seems like the community is is expecting an apology for things that came across as offensive. I don't think it's going to happen so moving on would just healthier for all of us.

July, the quicker you come to understand that people are "attacking" your attitude and not your "lifestyle" the happier you will be here. Somehow I doubt that matters to you and I'm really not expecting a change. You seem to create the drama wherever you go. I hope you prove me wrong.

BRAVO!!!!!!! :)

One thing to add though....throwing out random percetnages (85%, 90-95%, etc) without citing sources can really limit your credibility. Just plucking high percetnages fromt he sky is not scientific research.
    And with that, I am done.
    It takes one Right Fighter to know another, I suppose. I would like to think I go about my arguings with a bit of kindness though.. Best of luck to you, July! Keep up your hard work!
  • AmandaB4588

If you are doing a Low Carb Plan the CORRECT way, you are eating an all natural or as close to natural eating plan over 85% of the time.

If someone is living off of Frozen South Beach meals and other processed foods and merely keeps carb low, that is not a low carb plan. That is a processed eating plan. In the 2002 edition of the Atkins book it stresses about shopping the perimeter of the store and eating WHOLE processed foods.

That makes more sense, though I do not think it is common knowledge that eating natural foods is the "correct" way to do a low carb diet (therefore it is not common knowledge to assume all natural when someone is eating a low carb diet.)

Everyone I know who has ever done a low carb diet ate cheese, bacon, other meat (which definitely wasn't natural, despite being on the outer edges of the stores---- hormone pumped, something you know about since you grind your own meat,) as well as many other processed and unnatural foods.
  • AmandaB4588
    July, I also want to ask how much it costs for you to buy meat right from the farm (if you don't mind telling!) I buy from the farmer's market, and it is so expensive! I bought ribeyes for about $20/lb. I am wondering if going right to the farm is more affordable.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member

BRAVO!!!!!!! :)

One thing to add though....throwing out random percetnages (85%, 90-95%, etc) without citing sources can really limit your credibility. Just plucking high percetnages fromt he sky is not scientific research.
    And with that, I am done.
    It takes one Right Fighter to know another, I suppose. I would like to think I go about my arguings with a bit of kindness though.. Best of luck to you, July! Keep up your hard work!

According to a survey I just made up, 82% of MFP users are sick of this thread.
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    wow. I guess ketosis really does make you irritable. :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway - it's better not to feed the trolls...:huh:

some folks just love to argue. :ohwell:

Muahahahaha...............:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I got on this thread to see the original post (which I found very accurate and informational, so thanks for that! :flowerforyou: ).............and just had the most amusing 10 minutes of my life reading through these posts. Everything I could want to say about this has already been said, but suffice it to say that nothing entertains me more than an overly dramatic person who insists that they and they alone are right. Especially one that discounts 100-calorie packs as overly processed and horrible for you but then thinks that the occasional BK hamburger is okay. You can't have it both ways. Get freakin' real.

Cracks me up.

Thanks for the chuckles. :drinker:

Where is the "LIKE" button? :)

Like on facebook? I would love to have a "like" button on here!!!

And this is completely random..............but I'm a huge Dallas Cowboys fan and am always on the fan forums, talking about this or that. Well every once in awhile, as you might imagine, discussions get heated or ridiculous or just plain STUPID..........generally started by people who (shock! surprise! :noway: ) have no idea what they're talking about OR people that come onto the boards just to start an arguement (which of course NEVER happens on THESE boards :laugh: ) In those cases, the mods for dc.com just close the thread and/ or block the offending person from posting anything else.

I know the creators of these site work this site for free and probably don't have enough time or resources to read every post that comes through............but man oh man it's a nice feature to have..............it just stops people in their tracks..........since clearly, "you know, you're right" isn't working in this case...........muahahaha. God, I just love drama...........(where's the *rolling eyes" smiley?!?)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member

I am not being argumentative. That is where being on a forum and not speaking face to face with voice and tone inflection gets skewed on the internet.................People are just too sensitive.

Anywhoo...............The original poster bashed my way of eating by calling it a Fad, which is a flat out LIE.

This is supposed to be a website where all ways of eating are to be accepted and the low carb lifestyle is bashed daily by certain members calling is unhealthy, a fad, etc.

Me being more calm and rational, just gets me bashed even more, so YES I am defending What I Believe In.

I will argue this--- the Original Poster did NOT bash your way of eating. (I've gotta stick up for the OPs at some point because I'm sure they didn't intend for their thread to end up in a carb-no-carb debate). She simply stated different signals of what constituted a fad diet. And yes, low carb can be a fad diet. You are doing low carb as a lifestyle- and thats fine and dandy, and therefore for you, it is not a fad. But, I think it anyone is being over-sensitive here it may be you. Instead of thinking that just because someone happens to say to "make sure to eat your carbs" is bashing you, remember that we all don't live the same lifestyles. Resist the urge to be overly-senstitive. Not everyone is purposely trying to bash other people with their posts/threads. IEvery person on this message board is different and will find their own ways to be healthy. And like the OP, I do agree that it isn't the best option to follow any fad diets.
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    I have only read the last page or so as I'm saving the whole thread for when I have more time to read it, but I honestly can't stop laughing. I've never heard of a natural hamburger before. I'm trying to imagine little hamburger shaped animals that have simply been killed & cooked as they are, kinda like a whole chicken. Hahaha this is a funny image in my head. I know this isn't what July is saying but I can't help but find it funny. I would rather eat a frozen meal or maybe a chunk of beef before it was ruined & turned into a burger, especially from a fast food place.

This kinda reminds of a girl I knew who used to preach about being a vegetarian, but she didn't like vegetables! All she ate was fries & bread, basically just carbs. My point is, she thought she was better than everyone for being a vegetarian, when really her diet wasn't any better!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Funny.... You can lose weight and get healthy eating a regular well balanced diet that includes carbs, protein, good fats and fruits and veggies. I am living proof of that. This is a life style for me and it works.

I would be interested to see the weight loss of the low carb or low fat as compared to mine and the sustainability of sticking to that diet as well.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    For Pete's Sake!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    For Pete's Sake!

What diet does Pete follow?:laugh: :laugh:
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    For Pete's Sake!

What diet does Pete follow?:laugh: :laugh:

This thread made me laugh so much and this just topped it off for me.

I feel sorry for the OP! Who why the way I agree 100% with, and the information she provided!
This discussion has been closed.