Looking to lose 10-15 pounds a month

Options

Replies

• Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Lets look at this a different way, yes you can lose that much 'weight' a month but would you want to? unless you have a medical reason to lose the weight quickly and itl benefit your initial health to do it then why not lose it slowly?

Weight loss = water, fat, muscle and bone
    Fat loss = water/ fat loss but sustains muscle mass and bone density.

Your body is smart it can't be tricked into losing fat from a certain place at once or just 100% fat. Our bodies will lose only so much fat quickly as we need fat for bodily functions and it ends up attacking lean mass (muscle stores) so yes the scales will continue to go down but you will feel bigger in yourself as muscle is leaner, taking up less space and the more muscle you have increases your metabolism which aids fat loss.

lose weight to make a smaller version of yourself
    lose fat to change your body composition

Side effects of losing weight rapidly are an increase of body fat % which in most cases makes you look worse than when you weighed more, an increased risk in osteoporosis and muscle loss/ weakness.

My goal is to become fit and healthy i don't care about how much the scales shows me it's all about the body fat %

I will add to this...

Lose weight to potentially gain it all back later OR

Lose fat to maintain longer
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I lost over 70 lbs in 3 months once. The most I've lost in a single month is 30 lbs.

In all of my cases of high rates of loss, I gained the weight back after.

Slower is more effective and more likely to stick.
  • envyme521
    envyme521 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

Sooooooo...if your mind is made up and you disagree with biology and science, why come here asking for advice/approval?

I didn't ask for approval at all. I asked has anyone had this type of loss and how? Again, peopel are different, but I still want to know. And it is very true in me saying that even though it's said that healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week some people lose more. You can't help how someone else's body reacts to a certain diet/exercise regimen and yours doesn't react the same way. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.

Then why are you trying to find similar people?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

Sooooooo...if your mind is made up and you disagree with biology and science, why come here asking for advice/approval?

I didn't ask for approval at all. I asked has anyone had this type of loss and how? Again, peopel are different, but I still want to know. And it is very true in me saying that even though it's said that healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week some people lose more. You can't help how someone else's body reacts to a certain diet/exercise regimen and yours doesn't react the same way. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.

IT'S NOT HEALTHY OR SUSTAINABLE.

But whatever, do what you want..
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'm setting a goal for myself to lose 10-15 pounds every month. I know my weight loss will not be the same every month, but that's my goal and I'm sticking to it. Has anyone been able to do this? If so, how?

Don't eat. The body can go a remarkably long time without food. Just make sure you are getting plenty of hydration. You look like you've got a LOT of bodyfat so I think you will be OK at this bigger deficit. Ignore the haters....they probably haven't even seen Castaway.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

we'll see you again in a few weeks then, when you stop losing.... or if you're less lucky, in a few months when you look all saggy and have no muscle tone from losing too quickly.

exactly this.

You've been a member on the website since 2011? Now you're just wanting to dive in and watch the weight fall off super fast? No.

just no.

it's not realistic or healthy... and it's sad that you're looking for people that are just going to agree with you. Why not try using the website as it is designed and stick with that.
    L9ldZqJ.png
    get those things in the picture, use them, and be patient.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.

Then why are you trying to find similar people?

DANG!!! BUSTED OP. lol.
  • jennypenny133
    jennypenny133 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My weight loss progress looks sort of similar to LadyPakal.

My starting weight was 265.

Month 1- lost 13.6 lbs
    Month 2- lost 6.4 lbs
    Month 3- lost 7.8 lbs
    Month 4- lost 8.4 lbs

I try to aim for 10 pounds a month but as I get closer to 200 pounds that's going to be less and less likely. I'm also finally starting to accept that it's nice to have goals but your body will definitely do what it wants. Several times I've gone 2 weeks in a row with no weight loss at all but as long as I keep making healthier food choices and stay active it will come off eventually.
  • envyme521
    Options
    Instead of concentrating on how much you must lose every month, and disagreeing with the good advice you're getting, set your calorie goals to lose 2 pounds a week, weigh and measure absolutely everything you consume, aim to exercise 1 hour every day (whatever you can do that is comfortable), and just track it?

8 pounds a month is nothing to shake a stick at. Your doctor will be happy, you'll be happy, and you'll still get to goal. The only difference is you won't have the unfortunate metabolic damage that will result from a crash diet that makes you (1) fail or (2) gain it all back and then some when you get to goal and start trying to eat at maintenance.

Advice is only worth as much credit as you're willing to give it. If you're not willing to take good advice, then don't expect good results. Or don't ask what people think if you're going to just come back and tell everyone who has succeeded or are succeeding that they're wrong.

Appreciate it, but the only thing I said I disagree with is the 1-2 lbs/week. Again, like I told someone else just because YOU did not lose more than that a week does not mean the next person want. This thread was started to find out if anybody has lost that much in a month's time, not to ask any of you if I can do it. If YOU have not accomplished that, then that's fine. Somebody has. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've found that people who set overly ambitious goals (or focus too much on the "big number") usually end up giving up in frustration when they hit a plateau or have a lull in their losses. Maybe just try to focus short term...for example...think about losing "the next 5 (or 10) lbs" at a a time. Then, as you hit those 'mini-goals', reward yourself with something small to help keep you motivated.

Either way...good luck!
  • envyme521
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the more time it will take you to lose. It's great that you've managed to drop that much weight but it does happen that way at first. Don't expect to lose a certain amount, keep doing what you're doing and be happy when you lose even one pound a week!

This. I lost a ton of weight in the first five months or so...and then it slowed way down now that I'm 63 pounds down....kinda smacked me in the face as I was expecting to keep losing that quickly...now, yes, I'm so excited to lose a pound a week...but sometimes that doesn't happen and I've come to realize it's ok...this is a process...and it's gonna take time...I'd rather be healthy in the end than strive to lose as quick as I can....

Thank you. I know at some point that the weight loss will slow down. If I could lose 63 pounds and it slowed down after that point, I would be happy too.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I believe your doctor has given you a target weight beause that is how we've been conditioned to measure our health and it's become the quickest way to set a goal for people and the easiest way for people to "measure" themselves. I'm sure they mean for you to get to a healthy body fat percentage, and that takes time. Please invest in a measuring tape and a pair of calipers and Take tons of progress pictures. I also encourage you to discuss this with your doctor and allow them to help you set a more realistic time frame that will allow you to lose the weight at a steady pace while maintaining your health.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    fantastic! you will be awesome..go for 8 to 10...and if u lose 6 a month it will be great!!
  • envyme521
    Options

So people who have lost weight the HEALTHY way are giving you advice, that is correct and because it's not exactly what you want to hear you disagree?

You won't be able to keep up that loss, I promise you. You may even have a month or two where you don't lose anything.

I know you're not listening to any of the advice that is good, but aim for 1-2lbs a week. 4-6lbs a month. I promise you will be much happier with the results.

AGAIN, 1-2 lbs is healthy, but some people can lose more still in a healthy way too.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the more time it will take you to lose. It's great that you've managed to drop that much weight but it does happen that way at first. Don't expect to lose a certain amount, keep doing what you're doing and be happy when you lose even one pound a week!

This. I lost a ton of weight in the first five months or so...and then it slowed way down now that I'm 63 pounds down....kinda smacked me in the face as I was expecting to keep losing that quickly...now, yes, I'm so excited to lose a pound a week...but sometimes that doesn't happen and I've come to realize it's ok...this is a process...and it's gonna take time...I'd rather be healthy in the end than strive to lose as quick as I can....

Thank you. I know at some point that the weight loss will slow down. If I could lose 63 pounds and it slowed down after that point, I would be happy too.

It's going to slow down every month...

You're not just going to lose 63lbs fast, THEN it slows down.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Of course it CAN be done. Especially for someone who has a lot to lose.

By reading through these posts and others, you act like you already know everything, so a) why are you still overweight? and b) why bother asking for advice?

Just keep doing what you did last month, and well, good luck.
  • envyme521
    Options
    I'm not starving myself to reach my goal. I'm just eating a lot less than what I used to. I used to eat pasta, bread, and pizza all the time and a lot of emotional eating. Now that I cut that out and walk my stress away, I am losing the weight. I just want it to come off a little quicker. I'm not doing a quick weight loss diet or anything. I cook at home, but there a few days in there that I ate out somewhere and managed to stay within my calories.

Are you not listening to anything we are saying?

You didn't put it on over night, you're not going to lose it over night.

Never said I was.
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, my average per month was around 10 lbs.....and i had approximately the same amount of weight to lose as you do! As I get closer to my goal, I am now losing about 5 pounds a month. While you have a nice goal, I don't think you'll find it to be sustainable over the long term. I always remind myself that I am making a life long change to my diet and activity levels - so this is most definitely not a race!
This discussion has been closed.