Looking to lose 10-15 pounds a month

Options

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I lost ten pounds this month. It was pretty easy. I eat at or under 1200 calories. I exercise about 1000 calories a day (that is total including housework, daily expendature, and exercise). I've never been a big eater, just ate the wrong foods. I'm new to exercising too so that is really shedding the pounds. For exercise, I walk my dogs two to three hours a day, I swim now and then (laps). I ride my bike now that it is summer. Sometimes I do cardio videos from youtube.

A lot of people on here will tell you that you will go insane eating under 1200 calories a day or that you wont be able to keep it up for long. All I can say to that is that I have been doing it for six months now and it's working great for me. It's a plan I got from my doctor and a nutritionist who took into account all my personal needs. So it may not be right for you. I suggest you talk to your doctor before starting any diet and exercise program.

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

You're actually eating 200 calories/day.

GOOD FOR YOU.
    I'M SURE THAT THIS WILL WORK GREAT FOR YOU
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I lost ten pounds this month. It was pretty easy. I eat at or under 1200 calories. I exercise about 1000 calories a day (that is total including housework, daily expendature, and exercise). I've never been a big eater, just ate the wrong foods. I'm new to exercising too so that is really shedding the pounds. For exercise, I walk my dogs two to three hours a day, I swim now and then (laps). I ride my bike now that it is summer. Sometimes I do cardio videos from youtube.

A lot of people on here will tell you that you will go insane eating under 1200 calories a day or that you wont be able to keep it up for long. All I can say to that is that I have been doing it for six months now and it's working great for me. It's a plan I got from my doctor and a nutritionist who took into account all my personal needs. So it may not be right for you. I suggest you talk to your doctor before starting any diet and exercise program.

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

You'll forgive me if I don't play along with your sarcasm but I think a doctor who went to medical school for seven years and a licenced nutritionist know more about it than you do.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

You'll forgive me if I don't play along with your sarcasm but I think a doctor who went to medical school for seven years and a licenced nutritionist know more about it than you do.

A doctor actually TOLD you to eat 200 calories a day?

I'd be going to see a new doctor...
  • Mmmmona
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

Yes. Because we're all cardboard cutouts and whatever works for you must work for everyone else too.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

Yes. Because we're all cardboard cutouts and whatever works for you must work for everyone else too.

You're right, we are not all the same.

But I am pretty sure that it is SCIENCE that states 200 calories/day is not healthy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

But I am pretty sure that it is SCIENCE that states 200 calories/day is not healthy.

I call shenanigans on this.
  • Mmmmona
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

Thatts why I eat 1200 calories. My TDEE is about 1000 on an average day, about 1500 on a good day. So I eat between 1000 and 1200.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

Thatts why I eat 1200 calories. My TDEE is about 1000 on an average day, about 1500 on a good day. So I eat between 1000 and 1200.

I know, I hate math too.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

First, in the bases of chemical make up and physics and science...yeah, we are all pretty much cardboard cutouts.

Second, you said you lost 10 lbs this month, your ticker shows 8. You said you've been doing this for 6 months and it's been working great, so overall, you're saying you lost 60 lbs...is that correct? On, 200 calories net a day.

Third, your doctor is a nutritionist who told you to net 200 calories a day? I have yet to find a credible licensed nutritionist who would advise this, but maybe you have.

Looks like you joined this month, at least on MFP...it'll be interesting to see where you are in 6 months.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You eat 1200 or below
    You burn 1000 a day

GOOD FOR YOU.

First, in the bases of chemical make up and physics and science...yeah, we are all pretty much cardboard cutouts.

Second, you said you lost 10 lbs this month, your ticker shows 8. You said you've been doing this for 6 months and it's been working great, so overall, you're saying you lost 60 lbs...is that correct? On, 200 calories net a day.

Third, your doctor is a nutritionist who told you to net 200 calories a day? I have yet to find a credible licensed nutritionist who would advise this, but maybe you have.

Looks like you joined this month, at least on MFP...it'll be interesting to see where you are in 6 months.

So how come this doctor just got certified as a nutritionist and didn't go for being a registered dietitian? You know how easy it is to get certified as a nutritionist? I'd go see another doctor and also a dietitian.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    you know what really surprises me?

as per your first and original post OP.....

your very own doctor wants you to lose a pound a week...

this is not doctor approved, this is starvation....and this is dangerous.

envy you? not bloody likely.....

see you on the flip side of your failure which is sure to come down the pipes.

good luck.

*edited to remove an extraneous letter
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options

What does confuse me is that you've lost 10 lbs this month, but 8 lbs total. But you've been eating this way for 6 months and it's working for you? Could you help me to understand?
  • luckyshilling
    luckyshilling Posts: 229
    Options
    Another reason that losing at a 2lb a week or slower rate is more beneficial is.....skin. People who lose slower give their skin time to keep up with the loss and usually have less issues with extreme amounts of skin hanging off their body.

That's why I am going slow (1lb a week) and lifting heavy things I want to be hot when I get there. :drinker:
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wow talk about bein attacked :-| i lost 9lbs and 13inches in my 1st 2 weeks on here..have been doin the 30 day shred..eating better still have bad days..have lost total of 27lbs this year after gaining 50 after neck surgery in december..the first 18 came off after changing one of my nerve damage/pain meds and completing the steriods along with being able to move around more..ive seen doctors prescribe low cal diets in conjunction with hcg and/or phentermine..i use slim quick fat burner pills on some days..has natural ingredients and caffeine..not for everybody i contribute myinches lost and weight lost since logging to jillian michaels 30 day shred and drinking over a gallon of water a day..my calorie goal is 1200 and some days i net 500 to 800 and somedays i net over my goal..i jus do the best i can and if i have a bad day try harder the next day
  • Mmmmona
    Options

What does confuse me is that you've lost 10 lbs this month, but 8 lbs total. But you've been eating this way for 6 months and it's working for you? Could you help me to understand?
    I've only been using this website for three weeks.
  • trogalicious
    Options

I've only been using this website for three weeks.

says you signed up on the 9th...

so that's 13 days.

again.. math... I hate it too.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    wow talk about bein attacked :-| i lost 9lbs and 13inches in my 1st 2 weeks on here..have been doin the 30 day shred..eating better still have bad days..have lost total of 27lbs this year after gaining 50 after neck surgery in december..the first 18 came off after changing one of my nerve damage/pain meds and completing the steriods along with being able to move around more..ive seen doctors prescribe low cal diets in conjunction with hcg and/or phentermine..i use slim quick fat burner pills on some days..has natural ingredients and caffeine..not for everybody i contribute myinches lost and weight lost since logging to jillian michaels 30 day shred and drinking over a gallon of water a day..my calorie goal is 1200 and some days i net 500 to 800 and somedays i net over my goal..i jus do the best i can and if i have a bad day try harder the next day

No one is attacking... People who have been there and done that are giving their opinions / advise. It is when this advise / suggestions from these individuals appears to be brushed aside is where people are chiming in on. Are there people who can do this kind of weight loss over an extended period of time (say 6+ months)....probably. How many of those individuals actually exist? Very slim I bet. Would it not be wise to play the odds game and run with a game plan that has been tried and proven, like the ones on this site that have lost the amount of weight the OP is looking to lose? I would compare it to winning the Powerball. Is there a chance to win....of course....but what are those chances of winning....very slim. Same thing here in this case.... is there a chance of this weight lose to continue over this amount of time without having negative repercussions...sure....realistically changes of this happening.....very slim. Best of luck to all in which ever path is choose.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    you know what really surprises me?

as per your first and original post OP.....

your very own doctor wants you to lose a pound a week...

this is not doctor approved, this is starvation....and this is dangerous.

envy you? not bloody likely.....

see you on the flip side of your failure which is sure to come down the pipes.

good luck.

*edited to remove an extraneous letter

You are entitled to your opinion, which you should choke on by the way. I never said I was starving myself. It's very possible to lose 10 pounds a month. I never asked for anyone to agree with my goal. If losing 1 pound is good for you, great. If it was an issue for me to lose that much weight, I'm pretty sure my doctor would have told me.
    Have you seen her ticker? You know, the 150+ lbs lost part?

...but she's still wrong? It's unfortunate that you refuse logic and good advice. You're just looking for someone that doesn't really exist to come in here, pat your head, and tell you that it can be done. It hasn't happened. You've been given the advice you need, just not what you want...

...and now you're telling people to choke on their opinion? You stay classy and we'll see you again in a few months.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You are entitled to your opinion, which you should choke on by the way. I never said I was starving myself. It's very possible to lose 10 pounds a month. I never asked for anyone to agree with my goal. If losing 1 pound is good for you, great. If it was an issue for me to lose that much weight, I'm pretty sure my doctor would have told me.

I know you don't want to hear from me because I haven't been losing 10-15 lbs a month over a period of time, but (there's always a but, right?)...you know what? Never mind. If you want to tell people to choke on their opinion, go right ahead.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but if I were new to a weight loss site I'd listen to members who had been here longer and been successful.

I'd feel like a real idiot if I acted like I knew more than they did.

You can learn from people who have already done what you're trying to do, or you can be stubborn and pigheaded and insist you know what's right even though you haven't accomplished it yet.

The choice is yours.
This discussion has been closed.