Looking to lose 10-15 pounds a month

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

At first, it comes off quickly. The weight loss slows down as you get closer to your goal weight. That's how it works. Sorry you disagree with, well, reality.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    She's right, actually. I know the OP and she actually IS a special snowflake. It's hard for some of our friends to believe, but when I saw the the glitter and rainbows with my own two eyes, it confirmed it for me. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT!

I think you should shoot for the stars! 20lbs/month at least. At. Least.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose that much, that quickly would be by using unsustainable extreme weightloss methods, and you would gain it back as soon as you stopped.

Pick a reasonable goal and it will be sustainable and you will be able to keep it off permanently.

^^^ This. I am living proof. I lost 50 lbs in 5 months last year, and now am promptly gaining it all back.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

and that is true. AT FIRST. but your body will slow the process. the more you lose, the slower it will happen going forward.

don't set a number. do what you can and what is healthy. figure out macros and TDEE and go forward in a sustainable way.

oh, sure, you CAN go on an insane scheme and drop it that fast. but be ready to put it all right back on, plus another 10-20. OR, relax, take your time, work hard, eat right, don't injure yourself and let it happen in a more natural way so that your body and mind won't freak out when you hit goal.

losing weight is hard enough without setting unrealistic goals that will only sabotage your momentum when you can't reach them.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    She's right, actually. I know the OP and she actually IS a special snowflake. It's hard for some of our friends to believe, but when I saw the the glitter and rainbows with my own two eyes, it confirmed it for me. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT!

I think you should shoot for the stars! 20lbs/month at least. At. Least.

Well then.

I apologize to the OP. I didn't realize any of that.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Have fun with your busted metabolism, loose skin, and complete lack of LBM, OP. Hope you enjoy eating 1200 cals the rest of your life, because with your plan, your metabolism is going to be so damn shot you won't be able to eat more without gaining.

But oh, I forgot. You already KNOW you're a special snowflake who can manage to lose that much weight per month in a "healthy" way, even though no one else with less than 200 some odd pounds to lose has been able to pull off that much weight loss every month without repercussions.

Go ahead. Give it a go. And when you come back in a month, tops, with your next thread titled, "HALP. I CAN'T LOSE ANY WEIGHT," we'll be right here to say, "Told ya so." Maybe then you'll listen, but I doubt it.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    good job on the loss, but that rate is not sustainable. It was mostly water weight and glycogen stores
  • envyme521
    envyme521 Posts: 35
    Options
    I see alot of you are reading a little too much into this. You all have a right to your OWN opinion. If you didn't lose that much, fine. I asked HAS ANYBODY BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS. IF SO, HOW? If you have not met that goal, that's fine. I set my goals high in everything, I do and I have been successful. I was only interested in hearing from people that met the goal or close to it, which I do see a few people have. And to the person that said I've been a member since 2011.....you are right. I added the app to my phone and at the time I was not serious about my weight loss. I am now and it took for the doctor to tell me I needed to lose the weight for me to do something about it. And remember you had a starting point too.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If "EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT" then it doesn't matter if or how anyone else has lost 10-15 lbs a month, because, in your own words, "EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT" and it probably won't work for you. Because, you know, the basic laws of physics change from person to person and it's hard to pin-point what really works. That whole "2lbs a week" myth is just for 3 people in the world.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Appreciate it, but the only thing I said I disagree with is the 1-2 lbs/week. Again, like I told someone else just because YOU did not lose more than that a week does not mean the next person want. This thread was started to find out if anybody has lost that much in a month's time, not to ask any of you if I can do it. If YOU have not accomplished that, then that's fine. Somebody has. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.

I have a friend who kept up 3-4 pounds a week for a long time. He probably lost quite a bit the first month due to "newb loss"

But he lost 240 pounds total, and was/is in the gym 2 hours a day lifting very heavy, PLUS runs and bikes outside the gym.

So, if you want to sustain that rate, perhaps you can put on another 200 pounds first.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If "EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT" then it doesn't matter if or how anyone else has lost 10-15 lbs a month, because, in your own words, "EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT" and it probably won't work for you. Because, you know, the basic laws of physics change from person to person and it's hard to pin-point what really works. That whole "2lbs a week" myth is just for 3 people in the world.

tumblr_me2zwjRrwO1qfkdlbo1_400.jpg
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    "Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people succeed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is disappointing. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new comers and veterans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crucial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permanent yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tries to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistent (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becoming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already succeeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficit, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficits you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficit (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

This is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from."
  • lashon06
    lashon06 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 5' 6'' and my weight goal is 150 lbs. This is usually a healthy weight for me being a Sista.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I see alot of you are reading a little too much into this. You all have a right to your OWN opinion. If you didn't lose that much, fine. I asked HAS ANYBODY BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS. IF SO, HOW? If you have not met that goal, that's fine. I set my goals high in everything, I do and I have been successful. I was only interested in hearing from people that met the goal or close to it, which I do see a few people have. And to the person that said I've been a member since 2011.....you are right. I added the app to my phone and at the time I was not serious about my weight loss. I am now and it took for the doctor to tell me I needed to lose the weight for me to do something about it. And remember you had a starting point too.
    sooo... how high did you set the goal when you joined way back in 2011?

How'd that work?

We're trying to tell you what has worked, in general, across the board. I lost 153 lbs in a year because I was huge. I can't tell you what my monthly goal was, but hey.. it worked out pretty well for me.

know what the advice was? Eat enough. Don't try to lose too much. The same advice that these same good people are giving you.

It's just a shame that you feel that it doesn't apply to you, for whatever reason.

Set a legitimate goal. 1-2 lbs per week. Stick to it. Get a HRM, measuring cups, and a food scale.

Use them. Trust the process.

Or you can keep your head in la-la land and we'll see you in two more years... posting here about how your too special for our lowly recommendations.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

As I said... I HAVE accomplished what you are setting as a goal. I went from 206 to 153 in 5 months. I can tell you HOW, but obviously I didn't do it CORRECTLY (although it felt like I was, at the time....) because here I am back up to 183 a year later. It's impossible to maintain.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Good Luck OP.

I bet if you set your mind to it you can lose 20-25lbs a month.

Don't listen to Lea up there, who is a success story like no other.
    Don't listen to anyone who has dealt with trying this for months/years.

Do your thing..& DO IT GOOD GIRL
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do have a lot of weight to lose. I'm 275, down from 289. My doctor wants me to be at 180. I lost 14 pounds my first month of diet( eating healthier and smaller portions) and exercise, so I'm hoping to continue this month to month.

I started off similarly and then kind of leveled off at about 10 pounds a month. I have to be diligent to really follow my nutritional goals and I have to constantly find new ways to push myself when working out. It's tough, but worth it. I think how quickly you lose is up to you, but be sure and keep some balance and don't put your health at risk if your body is telling you it needs to ease up.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

The point is, you don't seem to understand how this actually works - science involved and while there are outliers to the norm -- it has nothing to do with how high you set your goals. If that was how it worked, lots more people would be dropping weight at the rate.

I actually haven't seen too many people say "Yep, lost 15 pounds for 60 months 10 years ago, kept it off" in this thread. The vast majority, of which you are likely a part, are trying to help you set goals that are sustainable FOR A LIFETIME. That's aiming pretty high.

Good luck to you.
  • credessa
    credessa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well once I lost 74 punds in three months eating 500-800 calories a day
    Another time I lost 64 pounds on HcG in about 4 months
    Another time I lost over 100 pounds in college and developed bulima...no joke

Bottom line each and everytime I gained back those pounds in record speed plus some additional ###

This time??? 2 pounds per week on a balanced and healthy plan and I should be at goal in a year's time. Save yourself the heartache and do it right the first time. It takes time to develop new patterns and make choices that are right for your body. Yes it can be done quicker but ultimately you'll find yourself having to do it again in the future.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Yes, the more you have to lose, the quicker it comes off... because the bigger you are, the higher your BMR and TDEE are. I've lost 45-50 pounds in the last couple years. Imagine if I now had to wear a 45lb vest for 24 hours a day. I'd burn a heck of a lot more calories than if I just wore a regular t-shirt, right? The more you lose, the less you burn because you have less body mass to support.

If you want to lose 10 pounds a month, assuming you want to preserve lean mass, realize that a pound of pure body fat is about 3500 calories. You would have to be in a caloric deficit of 1167 calories PER DAY to drop that body fat, and that's assuming your body doesn't get used to it and adapt and whatnot. If you can be in a calorie intake < TDEE deficit of 35,000-42,calories a month, you've got my respect.

It's definitely doable, but it's rough. Your best bed is to start lifting heavy right now; squats, lunges, deadlifts, and other resistance training that targets multiple muscle groups. It'll be extremely difficult to build muscle in a caloric deficit, but you can at least tell your body to preserve a higher percentage of lean muscle if you start doing it now. Cardio only really helps to optimize your cardiovascular system (hence... cardio...) and get your heart stronger and lungs more used to higher oxygen usage rate. I have a super-fit buddy who says "I exercise. I lift weights. Cardio just means lifting weights faster." hahaha.

Perhaps it would be healthier to make a multiple month plan, or a yearlong goal where you have micro-achievements, and can work in Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting For Women. You can add in Couch to 5k for cardio. You can try alternate day fasting (5:2 IF) for a month or two, see how that works. You can try the Leangains 19/5 intermittent fasting for a while, see how that works. You can try a ketogenic diet for a couple months, see if it helps. Try paleo. Try zumba and yoga. Try swimming.

Basically, for you to to sustain health, you have to start doing healthy things you enjoy. You can't see it as work or torture or whatever. Don't suffer or you'll bounce back and be unhealthy again.
This discussion has been closed.