Anyone else have an Uber-Picky Eater Child?

Options

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, after reading other posts, my child was brought up on an incredibly healthy diet- breastfed until she was 3, weaned from 6 months on only homemade healthy foods. we have been told that she has an incredibly sensitive palate (a doctor checked her tastebuds) which apparently accounts for her only wanting very bland foods. Not all of us parents of fussy eaters have brought them up badly. Additionally we also always eat a family meal at the table and, indeed, all meals are eaten at the table; her favourite drink (and practically only drink) is water.....
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I lie. *GASP* Yes I do. Are there onions in here? You see any? No? Well, that's because they're not there (visibly)... I used to blend everything. He's 13 now and will try more and more, but the structure of the food is his main issue (almost like Asperger's), so I keep blending the pasta sauce. Juicing works for fruits. Thank God he now likes celery and carrots...
    i'm super anti fibbing to my kids. if i lie to them, how can i expect them to trust me? if i lie to them, how can i expect honesty from them? my mother used to tell lies like that and it just made me sceptical about everything she told me.

Santa Claus? Just sayin...
    your point?
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I lie. *GASP* Yes I do. Are there onions in here? You see any? No? Well, that's because they're not there (visibly)... I used to blend everything. He's 13 now and will try more and more, but the structure of the food is his main issue (almost like Asperger's), so I keep blending the pasta sauce. Juicing works for fruits. Thank God he now likes celery and carrots...
    i'm super anti fibbing to my kids. if i lie to them, how can i expect them to trust me? if i lie to them, how can i expect honesty from them? my mother used to tell lies like that and it just made me sceptical about everything she told me.

I personally did not lie to my son about Santa Claus and explained that it was a nice fairy tale and fun thing to make-believe for Christmas since the get-go. We've had amazing holidays every year. Literally billions of kids have had very happy childhoods growing up with other holiday traditions that don't require you to lie to them. It's up to you, but... I'm just sayin'.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

No there is a difference between Santa Claus myth and force feeding another human being. It's an issue of trust. How can you expect them to develop a healthy relationship with food when they dont even trust their own taste buds? A child will not be malnourished if you dont sneak vegetables into their spaghetti, but what it can do is ruin 1. the trust your child has for you 2. if he or she is a super taster ruin all chances that they will ever try anything you prepare again (I live with a super taster if mushrooms even touch a sauce or bitter greens he can taste it) 3. its lying 4. how do they learn to love vegetables and experiment with food when you arent given a choice 5. how do you involve them in thinking and discussing nutrition when you are lying and sneaking. So say you cant get them to eat any greens they are lacking folate right? Well we look for alternatives. First greens are always on the table to experiment, but never forced. Second now we look for sources of folate and iron so you might get the kiddo to drink fortified almond milk and have hamburger.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    When I was young, Mom made one meal for everyone. You ate it or you sat at the dinner table all night long until it was time for bed. That didn't mean you didn't have to eat it. She saved it for you for the next night.

We spend a ridiculous amount of time catering to our kids today. My philosophy is, put it out there, they'll eat when they get hungry enough.

(duplicate post, can't erase.)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    my son was picky for a little while, but then he got hungry. Now he tries new things and eats what I cook =)
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I was young, Mom made one meal for everyone. You ate it or you sat at the dinner table all night long until it was time for bed. That didn't mean you didn't have to eat it. She saved it for you for the next night.

We spend a ridiculous amount of time catering to our kids today. My philosophy is, put it out there, they'll eat when they get hungry enough.

Don't even get me started on designer pet food.

^^^This 100%.^^^ They aren't picky they're spoiled. That is not a slam! And yes we do cater to our children way too much. I did too up until I changed my food lifestyle. Now they eat what I make or they are old enough to make their own whatever they want to eat.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

At 3 years old, my daughter does not understand this concept, yet.

I have a extremely picky eater. So, doing the whole "one dinner" deal doesn't work.

She doesn't have to "understand" it. YOU tell her what she is going to eat, you're the parent. Don't cater to her.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Incidentally, after reading other posts, my child was brought up on an incredibly healthy diet- breastfed until she was 3, weaned from 6 months on only homemade healthy foods. we have been told that she has an incredibly sensitive palate (a doctor checked her tastebuds) which apparently accounts for her only wanting very bland foods. Not all of us parents of fussy eaters have brought them up badly. Additionally we also always eat a family meal at the table and, indeed, all meals are eaten at the table; her favourite drink (and practically only drink) is water.....

No being a super taster is genetic and has some evolutionary advantages. It kept our ancestors from eating poision and dying. Now your challenge Mama is to find what she loves. I can get my super taster to eat fried vegetables. I have no proof but I'm almost convinced the high temp of frying helps to knock off some of those bitter compounds. She needs exposure to low bitter vegetables and fruit. Think for now ice berg or romaine, cauliflower might work, sweet potatoes, potatoes, sometimes carrots, avocado (might cause texture aversion), melons. She cant help that she tastes terrible things that we do not, but there are so many alternatives out there. As she ages she will become less sensitive, but I can bet she'll never like brussel sprouts. You just keep talking to her, encouraging her, let her "help" mommy in the kitchen maybe she's a big girl and can shred the lettuce for the salad. What ever you can do keep it fun open honest and experiment. Your challenge is set forth for you now...
  • glovepuppet
    Options

I personally did not lie to my son about Santa Claus and explained that it was a nice fairy tale and fun thing to make-believe for Christmas since the get-go. We've had amazing holidays every year. Literally billions of kids have had very happy childhoods growing up with other holiday traditions that don't require you to lie to them. It's up to you, but... I'm just sayin'.
    i'm a fan of ''a lot of people believe...''
    it covers every faith, covers what happens when you die, is an honest statement.
    i told them about the real man, who threw gold through windows so that girls could wed.

after that, i allowed them their own belief for as long as they wanted it.
    i try to teach them that respecting other people's faith is important.
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    YOU tell her what she is going to eat, you're the parent. Don't cater to her.
    What's so bad about "catering" to a child sometimes? I LOVE it when people cater to what I like. It makes me feel loved and valued :) I can only assume it's the same for kids. And I like doing nice things for my kid! It makes us both happy.
  • sweet_girl3313
    sweet_girl3313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Our family did a similar thing growing up. You had to at least try everything on your plate. If you didn't like it, that's fine. But there was nothing else for you that night and certainly no dessert. Special events like birthdays were reserved for catering. We always got to pick out our favorite foods for that meal.
    It also helps when parents model trying new foods themselves. When you are out and about make an effort to try new restaurants or foods. Tell your kids when you found something new you like. They will be more likely to take a chance themselves.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    What's so bad about "catering" to a child sometimes? I LOVE it when people cater to what I like. It makes me feel loved and valued :) I can only assume it's the same for kids. And I like doing nice things for my kid! It makes us both happy.
    for me, it's more that i don't want to produce people who are trained to blindly obey or else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_prank_call_scam

if i couldn't justify my rules then i wouldn't make them.
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    Although I am not a parent, I swear to you - I was, and still am, the pickiest eater. All my life, I found that whenever I ate certain foods, my stomach ached but I never talked to my parents about it. I was always your typical kid eating typical foods - cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, fruit after school and whatever my parents put on the table for dinner. Back to the stomach issue, I was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease when I was 18 and by the time of my diagnoses, the only things I was eating were carrots and yogurt, because my stomach hurt but I just told my parents I didn't like it. Have you ever considered something like this with your child because Celiac Disease is becoming more and more common. The biggest thing that my parents did to promote me to eat was if I ate all my meals everyday for a week straight, every Thursday, my dad would take me to the store and buy me whatever ice cream I wanted and that kept my parents going. Once a week, a little sweets won't do a ton of harm. One thing that I do now as an adult, is experiment with different things to make it more healthy. For example, I'll throw ground meat with a bunch of vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes) into a food processor and make a lasagna. It tastes not that much different, but surely helps a lot. Also, my mom and dad said that when I was starting puberty, I absolutely avoided healthy foods at all expenses, because my taste buds were changing. I do occasionally enjoy some cucumber, carrots, broccoli, whatever with some dip now! Best of luck to you and your family!
  • sullyk85
    sullyk85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You buy the groceries. Don't want her to eat it then don't keep it in the house. I was the same way as a kid but then people stopped catering to me 24/7 if I didn't eat it was saved for me for when I eventually got hungry. If she won't eat she will get hungry and eventually want to eat and if you don't bring the other things into the house they aren't an option.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a picky two year old, work 10 hours a day, and need time to do daily living things. I definitely don't have time to cook two meals so my little one will eat, my parents never did it for us why would I do it for him? In the beginning I became anxious when meal time was approaching because I knew 8 out of 10 times he wasn't going to eat and I felt very guilty about that. A few times I did prepare something different for him but it was futile since he didn't eat that either. So now it's 1 meal eat it of be hungry, his Dr says he is at a healthy weight and as long as he has fluids he is fine he will eat when he is hungry. I am ALWAYS looking for healthy ways to get the veggies in because he still refuses to eat most veggies I think the texture is what is he doesn't like. Love the brownie idea!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Although I am not a parent, I swear to you - I was, and still am, the pickiest eater. All my life, I found that whenever I ate certain foods, my stomach ached but I never talked to my parents about it. I was always your typical kid eating typical foods - cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, fruit after school and whatever my parents put on the table for dinner. Back to the stomach issue, I was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease when I was 18 and by the time of my diagnoses, the only things I was eating were carrots and yogurt, because my stomach hurt but I just told my parents I didn't like it. Have you ever considered something like this with your child because Celiac Disease is becoming more and more common. The biggest thing that my parents did to promote me to eat was if I ate all my meals everyday for a week straight, every Thursday, my dad would take me to the store and buy me whatever ice cream I wanted and that kept my parents going. Once a week, a little sweets won't do a ton of harm. One thing that I do now as an adult, is experiment with different things to make it more healthy. For example, I'll throw ground meat with a bunch of vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes) into a food processor and make a lasagna. It tastes not that much different, but surely helps a lot. Also, my mom and dad said that when I was starting puberty, I absolutely avoided healthy foods at all expenses, because my taste buds were changing. I do occasionally enjoy some cucumber, carrots, broccoli, whatever with some dip now! Best of luck to you and your family!

Oh good point especially if your child always complains of stomach aches, has a lot of flatulence, or irregular bowel movements. Celiac's along with other food allergies/intolerance can really cause a picky episode. You werent diagnosed till 18! Wow, the damage that could have been caused to your GI tract. Glad you got a diagnosis.
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options

yeah...

my mother did that. i was in the 'dangerously underweight' section of the bmi chart all through high school and well into adult life.

just sayin'

Mine did too, and I was too. But on the upside! I am now an adult who is strong and healthy, and who is the only member of the family that is not dangerously obese or overweight. Some kids don't like to eat, period, and will stay skinny until puberty, or college, or desk jobs catch them up.

I think we cater to children too much. The vast majority of them will not starve themselves to death over grody spinach. They'll eat it if provided positive reinforcement, patience, and consistency of discipline. They live in YOUR house, not the other way around.
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Yeesh - you seem like a really great mommy, but I have to object here. As her mother, it isn't your job to make her happy. It's your job to equip her with the grit, flexibility, and self-reliance she'll need to survive (emotionally and physically) in an increasingly difficult world.
  • aimforhealthy
    Options

Yeesh - you seem like a really great mommy, but I have to object here. As her mother, it isn't your job to make her happy. It's your job to equip her with the grit, flexibility, and self-reliance she'll need to survive (emotionally and physically) in an increasingly difficult world.
    Thanks for the kind words! It's not about "being a great mommy" though, it's about treating people (including children) with all the love and respect and kindness you can in every-day normal situations.

I don't want to teach my son grit, flexibility and self-reliance by controlling/ restricting/ criticizing his food choices. There are better and healthier ways to do that.