Walmart customers

Options

Replies

• Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I wonder how much that would hurt wal-mart in the long run. They would have to raise prices. I dont see them making that change honestly. Be interesting to see where the new wal-mart stores are going up. I bet it continues to be poor neighborhoods and rural areas. I still dont understand this Target is better mentality. It's another super chain.

So I guess you live in the east or northwest since the west and south much more quickly adopted wal-mart chains.

Walmart serves a purpose. It fulfills a need in our society. No one is arguing that. Here is a link with the average HH income for each store. http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Markets/What-s-the-difference-between-a-Walmart-shopper-and-a-Super-Target-shopper. It appears people are saying that the clientele Walmart attracts is not as healthy as other places. Are you suggesting they are as healthy as healthy as other stores? I think the general consensus of this board is that you are what you think you are. *I* like to present myself well (even if it's just a polo shirt) no matter where I go because you never who you could run into, what opportunities are out there, etc. You're only as good as you think you are. It's sad to see people who have given up on themselves (as other posters have commented on). Not suggesting Walmart shoppers have given up on themselves but if you don't make an effort to even put on pants how in the heck are you ever going to improve your lot in life? You never know what lies around the corner.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    lots of people in pajamas

I HATE this. This is one of my peeves- people going out of their house in pjs. They are officially saying, "I give up on life. I just don't give a damn about myself or anyone anymore!" It's the epitome of lazy. It's one of the signs of the downfall of society when people can't even get dressed when they go out of the house.

I am being overly dramatic, but I HATE THAT.

I have no problem with people doing this. I don't know their situation. Do they have a sick kid at home and needed medication? Have they been studying long and hard for an exam or writing paper after paper for school?

I don't know but it only takes a few seconds to pull on a pair of pants, jeans, shorts. I for one would not want to get into bed wearing clothing that I had worn out in public. It's like wearing the dirty clothes I had on all day to bed. yuck!

When my kid is sick or I have been writing or studying all day long (literally) I will make a quick trip to the store. I'm not worried about impressing anyone. Besides, I don't sleep in the same pajamas every night. :)
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When my kid is sick or I have been writing or studying all day long (literally) I will make a quick trip to the store. I'm not worried about impressing anyone. Besides, I don't sleep in the same pajamas every night. :)

here is what I've realized... when you are in a public position within your small community you must be approachable at all times. Would you go to the store in PJs and an over sized tshirt if your bosses boss was going to be there? In small towns with very few people in prominent jobs that happens all the time. That's what we are leaving out.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Are you suggesting they are as healthy as healthy as other stores? I think the general consensus of this board is that you are what you think you are.
    [/quote]

Well I've never had a problem purchasing some nice vegetables from wal-mart. I bought a big head of romain two weeks ago and it's still going strong. I buy that horizon organic milk from them because it lasts for literally months. I bought a bag of whole wheat, garbanzo beans, sandwich thins, and greek yogurt. Plus I can pick up a few personal products, and buy a new pot and rugs. I dont see why you wouldnt be able to shop healthy there and save money.

In fact, now that I think about it the last time I was in a Target they had no produce at all even the small wal-mart stores have produce. I've never been in a super target though so I cant judge.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options

here is what I've realized... when you are in a public position within your small community you must be approachable at all times. Would you go to the store in PJs and an over sized tshirt if your bosses boss was going to be there? In small towns with very few people in prominent jobs that happens all the time. That's what we are leaving out.

I understand where you are coming from. I would never choose to be in a public position for this reason. Those who hold public positions are judged regardless or their dress.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Look at the crap walmart sells as "food" its all processed prepackaged garbage i shop there some because well i live in alaska choices are extremely over priced fred myers and save way or walmart. People dont like to have to put effort into their food anymore. I have learned to really enjoy cooking. Its helped A LOT.

No, no, no.

Let me say this. I do ALL of my grocery shopping at walmart, maybe once in a blue moon I will go somewhere else. I still have access to produce both fresh and frozen, meats, yogurt, cheese, eggs, milk, whole grains, whole wheat products, etc. This is a very broad generalization that is simply not true. EVERY SINGLE GROCERY STORE that you will ever walk into will sell processed food. It is OUR JOB to not pick it up.

-rant over-
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I shop at walmart every week. And Ive never noticed a difference in products from a normal grocery store. They sell unhealthy foods, healthy foods, paper product and all the toiletries you could ask for. A store doesn't control what people eat anymore than a restaurant does. It is up the individual person to make the right choices. Shop the outer rim of the store.

THISSSS
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Look at the crap walmart sells as "food" its all processed prepackaged garbage i shop there some because well i live in alaska choices are extremely over priced fred myers and save way or walmart. People dont like to have to put effort into their food anymore. I have learned to really enjoy cooking. Its helped A LOT.

No, no, no.

Let me say this. I do ALL of my grocery shopping at walmart, maybe once in a blue moon I will go somewhere else. I still have access to produce both fresh and frozen, meats, yogurt, cheese, eggs, milk, whole grains, whole wheat products, etc. This is a very broad generalization that is simply not true. EVERY SINGLE GROCERY STORE that you will ever walk into will sell processed food. It is OUR JOB to not pick it up.

-rant over-

This is what I'm saying what wal-mart are these people going into. All the super wal-marts have a beautiful produce section and a pretty decent meat selection. I can find ethnic food there and I can buy my fat free dressing. The eggs are cheap and I can buy a nice organic milk there. I buy fage yogurt from there. Even the little wal-mart have a produce section I bought some big fat oranges the other day and some jalapenos.

Athough I see the post came from AK and that could just be an AK problem. Not a problem in Las Vegas or Cali
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Ever notice how the people that frequent GNC are uptight, skinny, wealthy non-minority folks?

<dramatic pause>

But if I sign with a flower, it's not inflammatory or insensitive, right? (not to mention completely INACCURATE) :flowerforyou:

I gained over 200 pounds without setting foot in Walmart. Bad choices overcome location, finances, and race.

271 lbs? You are my new hero. :-)
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It may be the region of the country. I know when I lived in Texas, in Hidalgo county (down in the "foot" of Texas), the obesity rate was probably over 50%, and the poverty there was pretty bad; in fact, my husband (he was a social worker down there) said that Hidalgo county was THE poorest county in the US--in the richest state in the US!

I haven't been in Walmart for a long time. I don't like how they treat their employees, so I'm sort of boycotting them. I only buy one product from them (George tights), and I don't need that very often--not even every year, so I seldom go. But I'll bet that if I went, I would find that there would be lots of slender people there, because I live in Oregon, and here people are a lot more health-conscious, generally speaking.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    We had to go to Walmart the other day for something. Now we aren't in perfect shape or the most healthy people around but I couldn't help but noticing how almost every single person there was overweight and unkempt. I know income has a direct correlation to weight but I had never realized just how unhealthy a majority of its shoppers are. I never see that fat/healthy ratio in normal department stores or normal clothing stores. It really made me depressed to think about how unhealthy we are and how it seems to be okay.

If I was struggling with weight issues I could walk in there and say "look, I'm normal" and that's not good. Not to bring the Abercromie thing up again, but if I had a store the average customer I saw the other day is not who I would want to "showcase" my products. If I had to go in there frequently I think I'd move because it was that depressing.

We are showing our children it's okay to be unhealthy because "everybody else is".

Ahhh! NOW we know why YOU were there! I BET some "Not-So-Healthy" people who are in the Middle of their Transition to Wellness thought the same thing about You and Yours. YEAH, judgement is a Man *kitten*!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

No, no, no.

-rant over-

WOW! You sure use a lot of caps...are you yelling or being expressive. Hope you FULLY Expressed Yourself!
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This must only be an American phenomena in Canada I have yet to see these "Walmart people"

Me neither, everyone usually looks pretty fit at my Walmart. Actually most people in my city are pretty fit looking.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    It really depends where is located your Wal-Mart. i lived in Colorado in a small city where most people were fit (lots of runner and bikers). The Wal-Mart wasn't too bad and had good selection of food. Here, in WA, the closest Wal-Mart is located in a poor area. Lots of obese people in pajama. It sounds so cliché, but is unfortunately true.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    This must only be an American phenomena in Canada I have yet to see these "Walmart people"

I see "PeopleofWalmart" people in the one I shop in, in Victoria BC all the time!
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Must be just your town Bella. Mine here in Nova Scotia is rife with potentials for Peopleof Walmart.com.

Dartmouth Crossing Yo...

I'm so sorry about that... I've been here for too long.
  • Resa001
    Resa001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Ditto.

Maybe we just see what we are looking for? And there is a wide variety of food at Walmart - good and bad!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I feel bad the those that appear to have "given up" and feel it's ok to go in pj's and unkept hair. Same as those needing scooters and barely fitting on them. I think society has failed these people. There is only poor education out there for people and their food choices. They think with their stomachs not realizing what that food does to them. Bigger and greasier has become the norm. It's commonplace for people to feel a good time is going out to eat and ordering appetizers, beers, and desserts. Advertisements paint this picture. I fell into the trap with my wife where our "dates" were for food. Neither of us realized the implications of the food we were eating. Fat creeps up on you slowly so you don't notice the change until one day you see an old picture and a new picture together.... and for many it's too late by then because eating has become a habit and willpower escapes them because it's a long hard road to burn extra calories. I've heard so many people say, "I'd rather be fat and happy than eat like a bird". They don't even understand the things you can eat to have a healthy diet. They think you have to eat tofu, lettuce, and water 24/7. I tell you, I don't really know of truly happy obese people. They portray happiness in public, but to know them personally they're not happy with themselves or where they are in life. I know my wife and my attitude totally changed when we lost the weight. My wife is happier now than ever! Our dates are now 7 days a week at the gym... with a movie night at the theater thrown in once a month, where we get a large water and a medium popcorn to share. Instead of knocking down "walmart people" why don't you help somebody make healthy food choices............
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    HATE walmart, rude customer service people, rude customers, someone even tried to steal stuff out of my cart so I just said, "You want it so bad fine, take it" and I walked away from the cart and left the store.

Another thing I noticed, Walmart has the biggest selection of processed foods than any other grocery store I have been to.
    It really depends where is located your Wal-Mart. i lived in Colorado in a small city where most people were fit (lots of runner and bikers). The Wal-Mart wasn't too bad and had good selection of food. Here, in WA, the closest Wal-Mart is located in a poor area. Lots of obese people in pajama. It sounds so cliché, but is unfortunately true.

^^^this is SO true. Walmarts here are usually in the lower income areas, you can play 'WalMart Bingo' no problem.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I call it Walfart for a reason. It is so insanely inexpensive, my family and I would be silly not to shop there. But ours is a giant "Fart" . I live in middle America. You get what you get.
    I have been to them in may states and they are all insanely cheap, but they all have the normal Walfart appearance/ experience. Sometimes the produce rocks....sometimes it is rotten. Sometimes you get the most helpful employees ever...sometimes not. Sometimes it smells like a fart ....my kids can easily pass gas and no one will notice. Hence the name and the abundance of dirty diapers in the parking lot. Ok it always smells like fart and I wish they could dispose of the rotten dairy sooner. Like get if off the shelves. But this could happen anywhere right? Ok maybe not.....but it is Walfart afterall.
    Sure I could drive across town and get a different experience at Trader Joes or Whole Foods for like $100.00 more a week....and maybe we could eat well...on one porkchop that we all had to split because it was organic and that is what Whole Foods prices would get me ....1 pork chop. Also ....The people are dressed better at the more expensive stores because they can afford to shop there. They can purchase clothes that hide the flaws. Whether they are more educated etc...I haven't a clue. I love my Walfart (mostly due to the price) and my 140 calorie non organic best tasting most filling porkchop ever.
    To save a buck and go to someplace in my non lululemon workout gear ..yep I will fart it up.