Nipples and the GYM

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and I notice nipples- like IMMEDIATELY.

Few things.

1.) one double up on le sports bra
    2.) wear a regular bra underneath (trust me it helps PLUS no UNI-BEWBS!!!)
    3.) Wear a more cotton based- dark shirt- the super synthetic ones really REALLY SHOW. I wear long and lean tanks from Target- I live in them- and only light colored ones show nip if I have a thinner sports bra on.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Cotton nursing pads from Under the Nile will save the day.
    http://www.underthenile.com/underthenile/itemDetailBR132.htm
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This thread is still amusing. I am pleased.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Hey Meg,

Ok, here's another guy's perspective. I would notice if you came right up to me. But I wouldn't give a damn. It's not like it reflects upon you as unkempt or anything like that.

As long as you're safe in the gym at night, I see no issue. I would not want to go to one of those swipe yourself in gyms at night when no staff were around, even as a guy...no way. I would be more concerned about being in such a place at night. Hopefully yours has staff members.
  • RunWestyRun
    RunWestyRun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't care. If people don't want to see my nipples, perhaps they shouldn't stare at my chest.

and if we do want to see your nipples? then what?

edit: OK I left this sit out there for a while with no response so I'll edit it to add the rest of my statement... I'll likely notice in passing, but as others have said, I'm there for me, not for you. I normally don't take my earbuds out of my ears while I'm at the gym unless my fiance walks in and comes over to talk to me... otherwise I do my workout, then walk out! If we happen to pass each other and you're at attention I'll probably notice, but most guys have trained their eyes to notice without you noticing anyways, so its not like we're staring. What was the line from "Role models"?

Thanks to IMDB...

Ronnie Shields: Damn, she got some boobies on her.

Wheeler: You sure are a fan of the boobies, kid.

Ronnie Shields: Oh yeah. Sometimes I call myself "The Booby Watcher". I even have my own comic book. "The Adventures of The Booby Watcher".

Wheeler: Okay. You know, I have a theory about boobies.

Ronnie Shields: Really?

Wheeler: Oh yeah. You see, there are as many women as there are men in this world.

Ronnie Shields: True dat, true dat.

Wheeler: And every woman has two boobs, for the most part. So there are twice as many boobs as there are men. We're outnumbered and it's overwhelming. We're powerless, and we have to accept it.

Ronnie Shields: I like yo' take on boobies. And I like boobies.

Wheeler: Kid, you got a lot to learn.

Ronnie Shields: I know what I'm doin'.

Wheeler: Oh really? So you don't realize you've just committed one of the most common rookie boob-watching errors?

Ronnie Shields: What you mean?

Wheeler: Never stare at the boobies, kid. Once you get caught, the game's over.

Ronnie Shields: But how?

Wheeler: It's called training. You know, being aware without drawing attention. You don't think I've noticed those 34 C's in the camouflage tank top setting up a tent directly to the left of us? Or how about those twin cannons hiking up a mountain ridge 50 yards due west? Or the ridge itself? Round mounds of grass shaped like...

Ronnie Shields: Boobies!

Wheeler: Don't look over there. Look here. Focus... You'll get it.

=)

I love this film - my hubbie took notes as he has now perfected the art of oogling hotties without staring and dribbling (very uncomfortable for all involved) :laugh:

Padded sports bras are my saviour - I am always smuggling peanuts as soon as I so much as think about the gym!!
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Combination of friction, sweat, cool air, and good old fashioned exercise-hyped-up hormones.

It's totally normal and you don't need to worry about it. Most people are too busy working out to pay attention and everyone else enjoys the view. Don't worry about it.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    These bras are amazing, but should not be used for high-impact if you need a lot of support.

http://www.handful.com/shop/adjustable-bra/
  • ekmanning50
    ekmanning50 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am going to order one!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am NOT going to put tape over my nips.

I bought about 4 sports bras with padding. I tried them on in a very cold dressing room just to be sure.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I usually get just one hard nipple at a time when I'm doing standing arm exercises. No idea why. It doesn't bother me though, cause everyone has nipples. Like, every single land-mammal. has. nipples.
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This thread is so amusing :laugh:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do.. dont google 'uneven nipples' while looking for a GIF. :noway:
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do.. dont google 'uneven nipples' while looking for a GIF. :noway:

OMG hahahaha i can ONLY imagine cause ill take your advise on that, still laughing!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Lol you guys are totally great! Typically I could care less about these types of things because as MANY of you said we all get focused on our own workouts and don't notice much of anything else. It just made me really self conscious when I had to ask for help with a machine. I'll take a look into the removable pads for sure.

Also, I have done the tape thing for a dress years ago, and will never do that again! The removal of the tape is not worth it. Yikes!

Again, thanks for the pointers and advice. I am just going to embrace it and move on. Easy enough. Thanks for all the laughs!

To answer the gym question, there isn't any staff after midnight, but it is in a medium sized town and seems always very safe. Typically when I go in, it is the good ole country boys and a lady or two. Any time I get uneasy i leave early and finish the workout at home.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I need to start going to the gym again
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just started to think about this... My nipps are pierced... OMG people are looking at my piercings!! I just am like, Hello, eyes up here, look me in the face when you are talking to me... LMAO
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    ah who cares. lol i can see the dudes nipples at the gym.

QFT

I mean, if it's a big deal to you, then maybe bandaids under the sports bra. But, it's probably a smaller deal than you feel it is. When I went to the gym, I was to engrossed in what I was doing to notice something like that.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A lot of my sports bras are just a thin layer of stretchy material, and my nipples show. It doesn't bother me, but then neither does my nipples showing trough my regular tops when I don't wear a bra. I'm small breasted, and I figure, who cares? I have some victorias secret padded sports bras that have such thick pads that a marble wouldn't show through. If you're self conscious, maybe try something like that.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    ah who cares. lol i can see the dudes nipples at the gym.

QFT

I mean, if it's a big deal to you, then maybe bandaids under the sports bra. But, it's probably a smaller deal than you feel it is. When I went to the gym, I was to engrossed in what I was doing to notice something like that.

I cannot believe how many people recommended this. You speak knowledgeably about this--do you have any suggestions for the, er, exit strategy?
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    They sell little rubber shields for this type of thing........look in a lingerie department. I wear a regular bra under my sportsbra, then a snug tank top (when I do planks and burpees shirt rides up) and a t-shirt. I like to keep the girls inplace!