hypocritical people on newsfeed

Options
Today on my newsfeed there was a girl knocking people tha are eating 1200 calories. She was saying how sad it was that people want to starve themselves. I said I disagree that 1200 is too little IF you are eating the right things and not eating garbage.
How can someine he so hypocritical when they too probably started at 1200 before they realized their body needed more? Sorry girl but you are not an expert on everyone elses body and for a lot of people 1200 calories is a stepping stone to start the weightloss until they learn to control what they eat, portion sizes and learn about healthy choices. Its funny how people grow a big head as soon as they think they know the magic.

This girl deleted me. Lol. Good decision.

Replies

• Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can only assume that she was knocking 1200 calorie diets because 1200 is going to be below the BMR for most people, and she knows this.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Agreed..Being fairly new to this wonderful site I am quickly realizing ahhhh...about 90 percent HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT..:)
    Kristian Rocco
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oh my...this might get ugly....
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people like to think their way is the right way (no matter what it is) and they forget that they too started off some place as well. It's difficult for some people not to be judgmental. Everyone's body is different, their preferences and abilities are different, so their fitness and health plans will also be different. But people like to be right.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    So you make a post about it? Just do what you believe work for you and move on. Why the drama?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    People have their opinions...I don't judge them.

I don't get offended if people delete me, it's their weightloss...if my mindset is different than theirs, so be it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do you know for certain that she started at under 1200? Does she currently eat 1200 calories? If not, how exactly was she being hypocritical?
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    you try out people and if you don't get along, you delete eachother. The end. It is your newsfeed, you control who you allow on it. :glasses:
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    So you make a post about it? Just do what you believe work for you and move on. Why the drama?

I like you.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, a different approach to the "1200 calories" threads. You can still mark your Bingo cards.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused-why bring this here? Why not just send her a message and ask her?

I feel like being the devils advocate here (I have a feeling the post at some point is going to get ugly and then deleted) but she could have been saying something but not wording it correctly or since it is the internet, you could have been reading what she wrote and taking it wrong. You're right, most people do start out at 1200 cause that's where MFP puts then since they haven't figured out the site yet and how it works.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Whatever the case is - starting a negative thread aimed at one individual is never good practice.

Edited to add it's not motivational or supportive either.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    No one has the corner market on any topic here on mfp.
    No one knows it all, but many think they do.

How do you know she started at 1200?
    Did she ever say she did?
    Someone has to claim they do/have done something before they can be labeled a hyporcite.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do you know for certain that she started at under 1200? Does she currently eat 1200 calories? If not, how exactly was she being hypocritical?

^This
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    gus-psyche-popcorn.gif

This here's gonna get GOOOOOD!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    A lot us us started at 1,200, then we learned better. How is it hypocritical to learn from ones mistakes and try to help others learn?
    I started at 800 calories, now I'm losing nicely at 2,000. I have more energy, kill my workouts, and am happier. You're saying I shouldn't encourage people to eat more when it's healthier for most to do so?

ETA: In for the drama
    Bacon anyone?
    tumblr_mkqjpvPA7i1s5orbto1_500.gif
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    She sounds annoying. Good riddance!
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    1200 calories can be accomplished and you can be very satified at the end of the day. I am on the 1200 plan and when I do right, I lose effortlessly. However, it does require you to be aware of what you choose to eat and force you to make healthy choices, which I don't see a problem with. When a bag of crunchy, salty potatoe chips will set you back 280 calories, that bowl of cucumber chunks with low fat ranch is only 85 calories AND healthier it gives you something to think about. Everything doesn't work for everybody. I hate it when people put others down just because they don't like or couldn't stick with it because it can be hard.
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    I too get frustrated when people starve themselves on this site. However, it is because when most just start out, they have no idea what that calorie goal means. It DOES NOT mean you only eat 1200 for the day. It means that AFTER YOU WORKOUT, you should be NETTING 1200 in order to lose weight. For my first 20lb loss, I was at 1200. I usually ate as much as 2300 calories but worked out enough each day to end up well under 1200 calories. I think this is why she was upset. Now I am up to 1350 as my body needs more fuel for my workouts to continue losing weight. 6lbs later and I think it works lol. Maybe that is what she was referring too and just didn't do it respectfully.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Today on my newsfeed there was a girl knocking people tha are eating 1200 calories. She was saying how sad it was that people want to starve themselves. I said I disagree that 1200 is too little IF you are eating the right things and not eating garbage.
    How can someine he so hypocritical when they too probably started at 1200 before they realized their body needed more? Sorry girl but you are not an expert on everyone elses body and for a lot of people 1200 calories is a stepping stone to start the weightloss until they learn to control what they eat, portion sizes and learn about healthy choices. Its funny how people grow a big head as soon as they think they know the magic.

This girl deleted me. Lol. Good decision.

"How can someine he so hypocritical when they too probably started at 1200 before they realized their body needed more?"

YOU don't know that she started at 1200. She may have known from the start what a healthy regimen was; I did. YOU are being hypocritical yourself, and I doubt you're an expert either. Try minding your own business while growing that big head.
This discussion has been closed.