crossfit

Options
I'm seriously considering taking a sip of the crossfit kool-aid.

any advice, words of wisdom, things i should be aware of, leery of, etc.?

Replies

• skinnymeep
    skinnymeep Posts: 6
    Options
    bump
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    CrossFit has the reputation for being expensive -- it's because you are paying for the training. Classes should be small, and you should feel like the trainers are with you, especially when first starting out. Check out a few different boxes so you go to a place that feels good to you. Each has a personality. Trainers will scale the workouts to meet your needs -- lower weight or reps or less time.

Keep in mind that you are competing against yourself. So you pay attention to form and go as fast/hard as you can without sacrificing that. It is easy when you see others zoom by you to try to keep up (at least for me, it was) -- play your own game. And soon you'll improve, get more flexible, stronger, etc.

Having said that, my experience has been that everyone is very supportive. When I come in last, which happened a lot in the beginning, people were waiting for me and encouraging me to continue in a safe way. I feel like we're all in this together, and appreciate the support.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Many gyms are now offering small group training where you can get some friends together and hire a personal trainer for a fraction of what it would cost for one-on-one training.

That is a better option than Crossfit for many people, and often costs less.

The Crossfit program is very controversial, and many fitness experts feel their training methods can do more harm than good.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The Crossfit program is very controversial, and many fitness experts feel their training methods can do more harm than good.

I understand there are people in the internet who complain about it, but for the life of me I cannot understand CrossFit bashing. My workout today was row 1 mile, 60 burpees, row 1 mile. Two days ago it was 5 rounds of 10 pushups, 25 squats, 15 ring rows.

What is the big deal?!

If you can't do the entire mile, stop at 1000 meters or 400 ... Do 20 burpees instead of 60 ... Or just do squats if you can't do any burpees ... If you can't do 5 rounds, stop at 3.

Who are these "experts"? People get injuries from running all the time, and I'm sure you can find somebody with a lot of initials after their name saying the worst thing you can do is run and will list all kinds of things that can go wrong with your body when you run... These kinds of responses are silly ...

If you go slow and have good trainers, doing 20 minutes of pushups, squats, jumping jacks and pullups is fine. You may hate it. It may remind you of grammar school gym class, but what is the harm??
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Many gyms are now offering small group training where you can get some friends together and hire a personal trainer for a fraction of what it would cost for one-on-one training.

That is a better option than Crossfit for many people, and often costs less.

For the OP, I have to pieces of advice. The first is to ignore the person quoted above. It's her life's mission to bash crossfit but no one really understands why. Or cares.

The second bit of advice is to stop considering, and start doing. They usually have a free introductory class. Go sign up. Nothing we can tell you will beat first hand experience. Find out for yourself if it's right for you.
  • janebshaw
    Options
    For the OP, I have to pieces of advice. The first is to ignore the person quoted above. It's her life's mission to bash crossfit but no one really understands why. Or cares.

The second bit of advice is to stop considering, and start doing. They usually have a free introductory class. Go sign up. Nothing we can tell you will beat first hand experience. Find out for yourself if it's right for you.

First of all, DavPul, I should report your post to the moderators. You know nothing about me or what my mission in life might be.

Secondly, skinnymeep, you cannot tell much about a Crossfit by taking a free class. Free classes are nearly always geared towards beginners they want to enroll, so they will most likely put together a class with exercise moves nearly anyone can do.

If you want to know what goes on at Crossfit, watch some of their regular classes and see what would be expected of you once you get past the beginner stage. That way, you won't be wasting your time or money if Crossfit isn't really what you're looking for in an exercise program.

Before you sign up for anything, I would suggest that you check around the gyms in your area to see what they have in the way of small group personal training, and also check out boot camp classes that are small enough for you to get help with exercises and form when you need it.

If you do decided to sign up at Crossfit, remember that part of what you are paying for is a brand name. You can find a good variety of exercises with most personal training programs or boot camps, and they can be as tough as you need for them to be without having to pay extra just to say you're doing a brand name exercise program.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Personal experience......

It is tough, really, really tough.

But also fun in a 'push yourself to the limit' kind of way.

I took up CF about six months ago and while my weight stayed exactly the same for months, my strength and endurance have become amazingly better.

I would check out a couple of local gyms and watch a few classes, find an instructor you like and go for it.
  • dela1000
    dela1000 Posts: 62
    Options
    At first Crossfit can seem daunting. They are hard workouts and what is most visual on the internet is the guys and gals that have been doing it for a while, have been competing, and are just good athletes all around. However crossfit is made up of all types of people. From high school kids trying to get better at sports, to older grandparents trying to stay active. Visit a box with no intention to workout that day. Watch a regular class. look at all the different people there. Say hi to some of them. Ask them how long they've been there. They will all say hi back and will talk to you about it. It is a very welcoming and supportive community.

The good boxes will have good coaches. Coaches who understand at what level you are comfortable. A good coach will not make you do 30 strict pull ups if you can't do one. They will give you options, rubber bands, jumping pull ups, negative pull ups. Good coaches understand that for someone to get better they have to start at a level where they are comfortable.

Yes, some workouts look almost impossible when you see them on the board (150 wall balls? Really?!) But pacing, the right weight, the right scale, and you'll be able to do it. Yes, you might not be the first one to finish (like bloomsday said), but you'll finish, and everyone else will as well, and you all will feel better afterwards. Now, don't get me wrong, you will be sore, there will be some pain, and there will definitely be sweat, but that's exactly how fitness works.

After 5 months of doing it, I have no regrets. I only wish I would have tried it earlier instead of looking at it from afar with apprehension.

Have fun!
  • janebshaw
    Options
    I wish people would stop writing about Crossfit like it's something special.

Crossfit is a brand. They use exercises they did not create. Those very same exercises are part of routines in many other fitness programs.

You can get just as good of results for less money without going to a Crossfit.

That is especially true for those of us that just want to get in a good workout, and are not trying to be super athletes.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Have fun hurting your shoulders down the road if you keep progressively overloading.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop writing about Crossfit like it's something special.

Crossfit is a brand. They use exercises they did not create. Those very same exercises are part of routines in many other fitness programs.

You can get just as good of results for less money without going to a Crossfit.

That is especially true for those of us that just want to get in a good workout, and are not trying to be super athletes.

you've already posted this in this thread. is it your policy to re-post your crossfit hate every third post? and what am i, a small child? you want to report me to the mods, be my guest. it's it gonna go on my permanent record?

go away
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    It can be considered overtraining.

It can also be considered dangerous.

Walking around a CrossFit gym with any kind of brace, cast is like a badge of honor.

While I loved it, I decided there are better ways to bang up my body.
  • GatorLegg
    GatorLegg Posts: 3
    Options
    CrossFit is a brand. Cross train is a lifestyle. You can do cross train without doing CrossFit.

I am 54 years old and started CrossFit 2 1/2 years ago. My resting heart rate went from 72 to 48 and I have traded loose fat for muscle and tone. I don't have a perfect body and never will but that's o.k.; what I do have is confidence in myself, stamina, lots of friends that I made at the training sessions, better eating habits and sleeping habits, all of which came about as a function of having attended CrossFit. It doesn't matter to me if the exercises were not designed or created in-house; if they are used by other gyms or fitness trainers, then I would call that an endorsement, not criticism. Even after this much time, I am still being introduced to new exercises (designed at the "head office" I presume!).

I pay $13.91 per one hour session (12 sessions per month). I honestly don't know if that is expensive or cheap relative to other places, though at times in the past when I tried to go to a "regular gym", it seemed to me like the business model was to push hard to get members to agree to an automated payment and then hope like hell that people don't show up.

Where I attend, there is a maximum limit of 16 people per class with one coach. Every exercise is demonstrated and the coaches correct improper technique when they see it. While there are guidelines for amount of weight or number of repetitions or amount of time, we are encouraged to scale to our ability. There is every level of fitness in every class, from people 100 pounds over weight to elite level athletes; we are all in the same class together, everybody scales and everybody cheers the other members of the class.

It's not easy and it's not for everyone. I still get sore from the exercises, I still get tired and I still want to quit half way through the workout of the day. But afterwards, I'm pleased I got through it, and I feel good about it. The encouraging, group setting is motivating for me.

In my time there, a few people have come and gone but a large percentage are people who where already there when I started. We have had all the same coaches throughout the entire time, too. There is a sign there that says "motivated people wanted", which, in my mind, pretty much sums it up.

I guess for me, CrossFit is something special.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    come join our group if you are interested in talking to crossfit people.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/99-crossfit-love
  • janebshaw
    Options
    It can be considered overtraining.

It can also be considered dangerous.

Walking around a CrossFit gym with any kind of brace, cast is like a badge of honor.

While I loved it, I decided there are better ways to bang up my body.

I've heard similar things from numerous people. When Crossfit participants rip up their hands and tear open their blisters or skin up their legs during workouts, there are actually Crossfit coaches out there that take photos of the injuries and post them on their websites or Facebook pages as badges of honor.

At the gym I go to, the goal is NOT to get injured during a workout.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My only experience with CrossFit: I was making a delivery to a business that is next door to a CF box, and they had the back overhead door open. The "coach" was screaming over the loud, pumping music that "if you aren't puking, you're doing it wrong!". Puking does not equal results.

My 2 cents: In any exercise methodology, there are good and bad instructors. This guy was obviously bad. CrossFit is not for everyone, but many people enjoy it. Give it a whirl, shop around. Stay away from anyone that promotes injury and overtraining as necessary side effects of a workout.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Secondly, skinnymeep, you cannot tell much about a Crossfit by taking a free class. Free classes are nearly always geared towards beginners they want to enroll, so they will most likely put together a class with exercise moves nearly anyone can do.

If you want to know what goes on at Crossfit, watch some of their regular classes and see what would be expected of you once you get past the beginner stage. That way, you won't be wasting your time or money if Crossfit isn't really what you're looking for in an exercise program.

Before you sign up for anything, I would suggest that you check around the gyms in your area to see what they have in the way of small group personal training, and also check out boot camp classes that are small enough for you to get help with exercises and form when you need it.

If you do decided to sign up at Crossfit, remember that part of what you are paying for is a brand name. You can find a good variety of exercises with most personal training programs or boot camps, and they can be as tough as you need for them to be without having to pay extra just to say you're doing a brand name exercise program.

Have you been to a crossfit class?
    Yes, of course the free class is geared towards beginners or at least contains a workout that can be modified for beginners. In order to join Crossfit, you need to take an "on ramp" course that shows you basic moves and how to do them properly. It also gradually works you up to what a full workout is like. Even after you finish the course, you still do modified moves for a long time while learning how to do them properly, or at least you do at a good gym.

I've done personal trainers and gym classes, which I enjoyed, not anything like this. I am totally aware it is a brand name, the same can be said for Zumba, P90X and all other workout programs. Do you hate on them too?
    While it may not be for everyone (and I don't think anyone here has claimed that), those who enjoy it are not wasting their money. I do not feel for one second that I am wasting money. It is cheaper here than I have seen for other places, but I would pay more I like it that much.

OP - I sipped the kool aid, my husband drank the the rest of the pitcher. I have never been on a team and love the camaraderie aspect of it. I push myself harder when I work out with others (which is why I am in a running club and a swimming club as well). My husband, who has played team sports his whole life, hated the gym, hated running, hated swimming but loves Crossfit. He said he thinks it because of the team aspect of it.

There are bad Crossfit gyms, yes. There is potential for injury. But the same applies to your regular gym/trainer/class. Like anything else, you need to check it out before hand.

I joined because my husband wanted to try it. I almost let the negative stuff I read around here keep me from it. I am so glad I didn't.

RE - blisters and skin scraped on the legs - pretty sure weight lifters and powerlifters are the same way in regards to that. Runners proudly display their blisters and black toenails, cyclist brag about saddle sores and road rash. Blisters and shin scrapes are part of weightlifting, thats not limited to Crossfit. Maybe we should all just quit working out.
  • janebshaw
    Options
    Excuse me, but I am a runner, and I am not proud if I get a blister.

If I get a blister, it means that I need to wear different socks or running shoes, nothing more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    My only experience with CrossFit: I was making a delivery to a business that is next door to a CF box, and they had the back overhead door open. The "coach" was screaming over the loud, pumping music that "if you aren't puking, you're doing it wrong!". Puking does not equal results.

My 2 cents: In any exercise methodology, there are good and bad instructors. This guy was obviously bad. CrossFit is not for everyone, but many people enjoy it. Give it a whirl, shop around. Stay away from anyone that promotes injury and overtraining as necessary side effects of a workout.

I agree with that. Every night the owner of the Crossfit box I belong to posts the next day workouts. I have frequently seen reminders and warnings with those workouts to scale the weights for this particularly hard workout, check your ego at the door and not to be a "whiteboard" hero. I have seen the instructors tell people to take weight off.
    Part of it comes down to instructors, but I also firmly believe we have our own responsibility to look after ourselves as well. You know when you are lifting too much, pushing too hard. Check the ego and drop the weight/take a breather/modify the move if need be, if not, there is only one person to blame.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Excuse me, but I am a runner, and I am not proud if I get a blister.

If I get a blister, it means that I need to wear different socks or running shoes, nothing more.

I didn't say ALL runners. Some do, some don't. Just like all Crossfitters don't brag about calluses or shin scraps.

Broad generalizations suck, huh?
This discussion has been closed.