crossfit

Options

Replies

• fight_for_fit
    fight_for_fit Posts: 137
    Options
    The Crossfit program is very controversial, and many fitness experts feel their training methods can do more harm than good.

I understand there are people in the internet who complain about it, but for the life of me I cannot understand CrossFit bashing. My workout today was row 1 mile, 60 burpees, row 1 mile. Two days ago it was 5 rounds of 10 pushups, 25 squats, 15 ring rows.

What is the big deal?!

If you can't do the entire mile, stop at 1000 meters or 400 ... Do 20 burpees instead of 60 ... Or just do squats if you can't do any burpees ... If you can't do 5 rounds, stop at 3.

Who are these "experts"? People get injuries from running all the time, and I'm sure you can find somebody with a lot of initials after their name saying the worst thing you can do is run and will list all kinds of things that can go wrong with your body when you run... These kinds of responses are silly ...

If you go slow and have good trainers, doing 20 minutes of pushups, squats, jumping jacks and pullups is fine. You may hate it. It may remind you of grammar school gym class, but what is the harm??

Bloody freakin amazing response. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I should also have added in regards to learning form and techniques/scaling - I used to think everyone just showed up and did a workout and these were learned during this. That isn't how it works. Each day there is a warm up then we spend part of the class working on different skills. That is where you are taught skills/form/technique and you scale until you can get these properly.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I should also have added in regards to learning form and techniques/scaling - I used to think everyone just showed up and did a workout and these were learned during this. That isn't how it works. Each day there is a warm up then we spend part of the class working on different skills. That is where you are taught skills/form/technique and you scale until you can get these properly.

Yes, this is how it works where I go too. I show up and am still considered a "beginner" even after several months of going 3xs/week. We practice all the moves -- even ones I've been doing for months now -- and get the right weight on things before we begin the workout. There is about 40 minutes of practice/training before we start the 20 minute workout. Sometimes the workout is fewer than 20 mins.

Also, to the OP: Just make sure you get good trainers. And visit different boxes to see what the atmosphere is like. If you look on the internet (or even on this thread), sometimes people boast of bloody hands, throwing up, and injuries. That has not been my experience at all. In fact, that isn't my thing and I would not participate if that is what it was like. Where I go, there is no yelling by coaches (or grunting by participants), no bodily fluids flowing, and the support you get is amazing -- as is the thrill of doing something you couldn't do 3 or 4 months ago.

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I was going to do Crossfit, but I decided to save money and just hit my knees with a hammer instead.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Any benefits you can get at a reasonable and responsibly run Crossfit gym, you can get without joining Crossfit

I go to a boot camp class that is not affiliated with Crossfit, and I can do things I couldn't do 3 or 4 months ago too. They have qualified instructors and closely supervise form, especially of people that are new, and modifications of exercises are given when needed. They are also very encouraging and supportive.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of fitness program choices available. Most are safer and better run than the average Crossfit box.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Personally I believe that there are good people that Crossfit well and bad people that Crossfit bad. Those with great form and those with horrible form.
    While I do believe that one should push themselves, I don't believe "rah rah" sessions to encourage someone evidently struggling to lift a weight with good form. Chances are this person is going to injure something.
    Like other "clubs" of fitness (IE bodybuilding) there's going to be good and bad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Double post.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Any benefits you can get at a reasonable and responsibly run Crossfit gym, you can get without joining Crossfit

I go to a boot camp class that is not affiliated with Crossfit, and I can do things I couldn't do 3 or 4 months ago too. They have qualified instructors and closely supervise form, especially of people that are new, and modifications of exercises are given when needed. They are also very encouraging and supportive.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of fitness program choices available. Most are safer and better run than the average Crossfit box.

In YOUR opinion. What is this based on? How many crossfit boxes have you gone to? Again, have you even gone to one? Do you have anything at all to back up your claims of the danger aside from one newspaper article?

I'm not disputing you can get results from places other than crossfit. But if i like it and want to go, what is wrong with going to a reasonable and responsible crossfit box? Because its a brand name? It costs more? Do I have to go to the local Y instead of the more expensive gym up the street if I choose not to do crossfit? Am I not allowed to wear brand name clothes?

I agree, there are a lot of things out there to choose from. But please, let me decide what is "best" for me.

We all get it, you don't approve of Crossfit. You are more then welcome to post your opinion but you repeatedly post over and over the same things in the same topic.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m381yaDcxX1r2jlpco1_250.gif
    Obviously Crossfit broke somebody's heart!

OP If you decide to invest the time and energy, be safe, have fun, whoop *kitten*!
  • mworthen
    mworthen Posts: 11
    Options
    Loved it!!! Very addicting. :). Yes you want to be picky with who your trainer is!! :)
  • janebshaw
    Options
    Loved it!!! Very addicting. :). Yes you want to be picky with who your trainer is!! :)

The addictive side of Crossfit is where many of the problems start. Once someone is addicted, they tend to start pushing too hard to compete, and that's when many of the workout injuries happen.

It's better to do a fitness program you like as opposed to one you are addicted to.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

The addictive side of Crossfit is where many of the problems start. Once someone is addicted, they tend to start pushing too hard to compete, and that's when many of the workout injuries happen.

It's better to do a fitness program you like as opposed to one you are addicted to.

How about running? I hear lots of runners say they are addicted, especially to racing. I know I am and a lot of my friends on here are as well. How many runners get injured per year? I know some people who are so addicted they push through injuries to run, making it worse or get cranky when they can't run.
    Perhaps you should start going into all the running topics and warning them too.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    looooove crossfit! its so fun. 7 months injury free, stronger, and more fit than ever.
  • janebshaw
    Options

How about running? I hear lots of runners say they are addicted, especially to racing. I know I am and a lot of my friends on here. How many runners get injured per year? I know some people who are so addicted they push through injuries to run or get cranky when they can't.
    Perhaps you should start going into all the running topics and warning them too.

I do some running and enter a 5K now and then. It is good exercise and it can be fun at times, but I would not describe it or any of the other exercise activities I do as addictive.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    . edited for meh
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

How about running? I hear lots of runners say they are addicted, especially to racing. I know I am and a lot of my friends on here. How many runners get injured per year? I know some people who are so addicted they push through injuries to run or get cranky when they can't.

I do some running and enter a 5K now and then. It is good exercise and it can be fun at times, but I would not describe it or any of the other exercise activities I do as addictive.

Again you miss the point. Some people do find it addicting, just like some find crossfit addicting - do you recommend the same thing for them? To stay away?
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    Just do it. Like any type of workout, it is what you make of it. You can go all out and do it to the books or you can just make up your own workouts and tailor it to your own goals, strengths and weaknesses. Just make sure to learn proper techniques and practise a lot! I do crossfit workouts in my own in a regular gym, I just adapt to my surroundings...
  • janebshaw
    Options
    The sad thing is, people that are addicted to exercise see it as a positive, but no addiction is positive.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/addiction/addiction-to-exercise.aspx
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    The sad thing is, people that are addicted to exercise see it as a positive, but no addiction is positive.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/addiction/addiction-to-exercise.aspx

Not everyone who describes themself as "addicted" to something is literally addicted. I am pretty sure the above poster is not actually legitimately addicted. I'm willing to bet she just really enjoys it and is using a hyperbole to describe how much she likes it.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Kool-aid_zpsb52e8191.gif
This discussion has been closed.