crossfit

Options

Replies

• janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I found a local gym that is offering a free introductory class this Saturday so I'm going to give it a try. Will report back on what I think.

I'll also add that even though I'm overweight at the moment, this has not always been the case. I have lifted weights for almost 20 years, and some clown yelling in my ear is not going to make me do an exercise or an additional rep that I know will make me compromise form to complete.

My guess is that CF is just like any other form of exercise (including running, weight training, etc.) If you focus on technique and make sure you are doing everything properly, you will get out of it what you put in.

If you do too much too quickly, you will end up injured.

That is true. The issues I have with Crossfit as a sport/ fitness activity are:

1. The certification of people that have absolutely no education or experience beyond a weekend workshop as Crossfit trainers.

3. The reputation Crossfit as an organization has for encouraging participants to push harder than is safe during workouts.

So if anyone is interested in Crossfit, it is very important to check out the credentials of the trainer and make sure they allow you to observe a regular, (non introductory) class so you can see how the ongoing classes are being run.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While never attending a "box" to crossfit myself, i do have crossfit trainer friends and they will put me through workouts now and again. Talk about tough, not just physically, but mentally as well. I love the feeling but they never try to push me past my limits only to that limit.

As for the constant talk about how dangerous the workouts out are, well yeah. Any form of physical activity is dangerous. I happen to play soccer and do MMA. I don't go on and on about how dangerous they are or aren't. I just accept it and do everything in my power to make it as safe and as fun as possible.

I love the crossfit workouts and I love my MMA workouts. Both are challenging in their own respects and give me something I don't seem to get from just a regular lifting session or cardio session.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    this was my first time falling wearing clips. i fell because i was stupid and didn't clip out before i hit the breaks. new york city traffic and such.

but just to be safe i'm never going to ride a bike again and i'm going to bash all cyclists on public forums.

Of course, that's what most people do, right?
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Secondly, skinnymeep, you cannot tell much about a Crossfit by taking a free class. Free classes are nearly always geared towards beginners they want to enroll, so they will most likely put together a class with exercise moves nearly anyone can do.

If you want to know what goes on at Crossfit, watch some of their regular classes and see what would be expected of you once you get past the beginner stage. That way, you won't be wasting your time or money if Crossfit isn't really what you're looking for in an exercise program.

Before you sign up for anything, I would suggest that you check around the gyms in your area to see what they have in the way of small group personal training, and also check out boot camp classes that are small enough for you to get help with exercises and form when you need it.

If you do decided to sign up at Crossfit, remember that part of what you are paying for is a brand name. You can find a good variety of exercises with most personal training programs or boot camps, and they can be as tough as you need for them to be without having to pay extra just to say you're doing a brand name exercise program.

I'm sorry have you ever been to a real box? the reason I ask is because you make generalized statements such as "nearly always" and "most likely".

I agree with going to watch a full session/class/WOD. I did this last week during my visit, I then came back for the following day for the start of my full week of free classes. However, they were NOT "geared" for beginners at all. In fact we did the same moves as everyone else but just scaled back to our level (less reps, distance, weight, etc.) Which is what you want when starting out. I don't have $80-120 per hour to pay a personal trainer which is why I will likely join this particular box based on going 2 x per week for now. Good luck and have fun with it....again you are there to compete against yourself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to catch up.

ETA: Full disclosure - I'm 4/6 through on-ramp at a local crossfit facility. Most of our barbell work has been with a PVC pipe. The last workout I did hang snatches with a 35 pound barbell. That's the most the trainer would let any of us use. Yeah, that's right, I used a weight I can curl with one arm for snatches. At least it was heavier than the PVC pipe. The kettlebell I used for swings in an earlier workout? No, not the prescribed 65 pounder, but 25 pounds...because I was still learning the movement. When one of the workouts called for 400m runs, I subbed 400m rows (because I'm still recovering from a tendon issue I ran myself into prior to starting crossfit). Do they push me to keep going? Absolutely. Do they give feedback on and cues to reinforce proper form? Yup. Do they encourage people to be stupid? Not that I've seen so far.

Granted, I'm sure there are awful crossfit facilities/trainers out there, but this isn't one of them...and I checked them out before my first class They have a vested interest in pushing me hard enough to progress without injuring myself...because if I'm not making progress, I'll stop doing it and they stop getting paid...and if I injure myself, I'll stop taking classes (at least while I recover) and they stop getting paid. The dues are monthly and there is no contract. To recap: If I'm unhappy or injured, they don't get paid. Why does this seem like such a bad situation to some people?

And the argument that I could get the same thing cheaper elsewhere? How is this relevant to my situation? I have the money and I'm willing to give it to this location in exchange for the services they offer. Others seem to have reached the same conclusion as the classes are well-attended. Sounds to me like they have found a reasonable market price. If these class attendance begins to drop, then they should consider reducing their price (among other possible business responses). Until then, the argument that it's overpriced (in general) is unsubstantiated.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I found a local gym that is offering a free introductory class this Saturday so I'm going to give it a try. Will report back on what I think.

I'll also add that even though I'm overweight at the moment, this has not always been the case. I have lifted weights for almost 20 years, and some clown yelling in my ear is not going to make me do an exercise or an additional rep that I know will make me compromise form to complete.

My guess is that CF is just like any other form of exercise (including running, weight training, etc.) If you focus on technique and make sure you are doing everything properly, you will get out of it what you put in.

1. The certification of people that have absolutely no education or experience beyond a weekend workshop as Crossfit trainers.

3. The reputation Crossfit as an organization has for encouraging participants to push harder than is safe during workouts.

So if anyone is interested in Crossfit, it is very important to check out the credentials of the trainer and make sure they allow you to observe a regular, (non introductory) class so you can see how the ongoing classes are being run.

I don't even like Crossfit, but this is silly.

1) Because every other facet of the fitness industry is full up on certifications and the proper qualifications of instructors.

3) Based on this, you must hate EVERY single team sport and competitive sport there is. You think coaches don't push kids in football (soccer or American) to points where they risk injury? Cutting weights for a competition weigh in or shin splints and such from training for long distance runs (long distance as in, not a 5k which is something you don't need training for to complete) isn't very healthy either.

My Claims:
    1) If you want to do an activity casually that is of course your perogative. I'm sure there are plenty of boxes out there that can/will cater to that mindset and level of commitment. There may also be other activities that are more your speed. The only way you can know if that crossfit box is a good match for you is to try it out, if not, look for something else that you think you'll like more.

2) My argument is so excellent a second point is not needed.

3) You should be checking the credentials of any organization you plan to invest any kind of serious time/money into. That doesn't mean you have to make sure every instructor is PhD, but doing at least some cursory homework is a good idea.

4) People who work hard and push themselves should be respected. Injury should never be the goal, but at a certain level it's practically impossible to remain injury free. These things happen, and learning to work around/through them is what separates the greatest athletes from the mediocre ones. If you don't want to reach that level that's fine, play it safe. Don't undermine the hard work those people are willing to put in for victory. That's beyond lame.

5) A torn blister or bruised shin is NOT an injury.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Are you still at this? Sheesh.

70% of runners are injured each year. http://www.aapmr.org/patients/conditions/msk/Pages/runfact.aspx

This includes the group of people who moderately enjoy running and take in a 5k every once in awhile.

And the "exercise addiction" warning signs are simply over training indicators + having issues in your personal and work life because of your goals. The article itself was almost valueless and probably wouldn't be accepted for publication in the average women's magazine.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    It can be considered overtraining.

It can also be considered dangerous.

Walking around a CrossFit gym with any kind of brace, cast is like a badge of honor.

While I loved it, I decided there are better ways to bang up my body.

I've heard similar things from numerous people. When Crossfit participants rip up their hands and tear open their blisters or skin up their legs during workouts, there are actually Crossfit coaches out there that take photos of the injuries and post them on their websites or Facebook pages as badges of honor.

At the gym I go to, the goal is NOT to get injured during a workout.

I know a Crossfit trainer and he posts pictures like that regularly. I thought it was a little weird, but they're cool with it, so I don't care. It's their bodies. The guy is in impressive shape and does some crazy things, so more power to him. I imagine it's like any other form of exercise. To too much/do it wrong/get unlucky and you can get injured.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I don't even like Crossfit, but this is silly.

1) Because every other facet of the fitness industry is full up on certifications and the proper qualifications of instructors.

3) Based on this, you must hate EVERY single team sport and competitive sport there is. You think coaches don't push kids in football (soccer or American) to points where they risk injury? Cutting weights for a competition weigh in or shin splints and such from training for long distance runs (long distance as in, not a 5k which is something you don't need training for to complete) isn't very healthy either.

My Claims:
    1) If you want to do an activity casually that is of course your perogative. I'm sure there are plenty of boxes out there that can/will cater to that mindset and level of commitment. There may also be other activities that are more your speed. The only way you can know if that crossfit box is a good match for you is to try it out, if not, look for something else that you think you'll like more.

2) My argument is so excellent a second point is not needed.

3) You should be checking the credentials of any organization you plan to invest any kind of serious time/money into. That doesn't mean you have to make sure every instructor is PhD, but doing at least some cursory homework is a good idea.

4) People who work hard and push themselves should be respected. Injury should never be the goal, but at a certain level it's practically impossible to remain injury free. These things happen, and learning to work around/through them is what separates the greatest athletes from the mediocre ones. If you don't want to reach that level that's fine, play it safe. Don't undermine the hard work those people are willing to put in for victory. That's beyond lame.

5) A torn blister or bruised shin is NOT an injury.

Quoted for sheer awesomeness. I can't even highlight one part because it is all right on the mark.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Definitely try it out before you sign up.

My gym offered free Crossfit classes for a while then started charging extra for it later.

I actually liked the workouts (ok, I hated them, but liked how I felt when it was finished), and everyone was able to go at their own pace. However, in just about ever other class, I managed to strain or pull something because my form wasn't right (our instructor was good - this was MY error). Personally, I stopped going because I didn't like being semi-sidelined for 3 days every time, but there are a lot of women there who have continued on, and they do love it. You never know till you try it!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    In...

...to catch up.

Here, let me sum up:

The usual suspect is here bashing CrossFit, and this time there are people who don't even participate in CrossFit who are telling her exactly how lame it is that she can't just let it go. :laugh:
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I run, I weight lift and I do crossfitt workouts and I have had the most injuries from running so far (knee, foot and calf problems...), though nothing major. I injured my hands once doing pull-ups for WOD, but have sinced corrected my technique and it hasn't happened again since. I don't count sore muscles as an injury though, and I get that from all three types of exercises, that is kindof the point of exercising though, right? to break down and rebuild your musles so that they get stronger.

Anyways, just wanted to put my 2 cents in (again). Don't hate on the exercise (whatever it may be), hate on the people who are doing it wrong and making a bad name for the rest of us who enjoy and benefit from it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Much is going to depend on the box and the coaches. I've attended an intro session at two different boxes...the first box I would never go to again...the class was huge and the coaches could not monitor everyone properly and there were a lot of people doing **** just plane wrong and putting a premium on volume over technique and form. The workout was pretty insane as well...I was more than fine stopping when I knew I'd had enough, but a lot of people were over-training (as evidenced by a complete lack of form and certain exercises becoming pretty much unrecognizable).

I would go to the 2nd box though if I was into it. They limited the class size and, at least the WOD that particular day seemed to be intelligently thought out. The coaches were also in charge and stopping people when they were doing it wrong. So I'd go there again, but I'm not really that into it and it was going to be pretty damned expensive too.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to catch up.

Here, let me sum up:

The usual suspect is here bashing CrossFit, and this time there are people who don't even participate in CrossFit who are telling her exactly how lame it is that she can't just let it go. :laugh:

That's actually what led me to this thread...people on my FL who I *know* aren't doing crossfit/aren't pro-crossfit who are in here defending it against what appear to be mostly baseless claims. (Totally unrelated comment: it's something I appreciate about them that makes me glad they're on my FL...that even when it isn't their personal "sacred cow" that's being insulted, they realize when someone is making unreasonable attacks and they speak up about it. That said, if someone starts hyping crossfit as the One True Way to exercise nirvana, they'll also challenge that kind of nonsense too.)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop writing about Crossfit like it's something special.

Crossfit is a brand. They use exercises they did not create. Those very same exercises are part of routines in many other fitness programs.

You can get just as good of results for less money without going to a Crossfit.

That is especially true for those of us that just want to get in a good workout, and are not trying to be super athletes.

this 100%
    they do not own burpees- pull ups- push ups or OLY lifting.

people ask me if I cross fit all the time- and I refuse to say I'm a "crossfitter" because they have some SERIOUSLY messed up people in the program and give it a bad name- but the workouts are solid- adn I incorporate them into my training... mostly because if P90X, Insanity and Crossfit had a torrid love affair and had a baby- that would be my workouts.

So yeah- I technically include it- but the work itself is expensive because you pain for facilities AND training.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP - go to some introductory classes and see how you like it. Ignore the over-the-top bashing by one poster in this thread. Hell, I make fun of crossfit with friends in a light-hearted way because of the group aspect to it, but the criticism in here is way over the top. At the end of the day, it's important to find a program that you enjoy so that you stick with it, and it's hard to argue with the results that I've seen from friends and especially watching the CrossFit Games (which I very much enjoy watching).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Today I did Deadlifts at my gym. I kept scraping the bar on my knees and they stated to bleed. When the weight is heavy, you can't really help it. I guess my gym is dangerous. I should quit.

Just don't start running. You might get addicted.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

isn't this "reputation" propagated by people like you? people completely ignorant of what actually happens inside a crossfit box? i've re-read this thread, and to a (wo)man, every single person that bashed crossfit HAS NEVER TRIED IT. the closest we came is to a guy that delivered a package NEXT DOOR.

so yeah, if people here something enough times, they will start to believe it's true, even when no supporting evidence has ever been presented. even the people that are actually participating in crossfit are couching their responses with "I'm sure there are some bad coaches/boxes out there, but my experience has been outstanding." so even tho their entire experience has been positive, they've heard, from ignorant scaremongers such as yourself, so many fake horror stories that they can't wholeheartedly endorse something they enjoy because, you know, so many people are saying bad stuff it *must* be true. carbs are the devil, obama is a muslim, and crossfit coaches push every member to the point of injury.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

Not true. One of the Olympic athlete lifter women person was a crossfit instructor. Can't remember her name... Google!!
This discussion has been closed.