crossfit

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The Crossfit philosophy is to try to be good at a wide range of things. In my experience, this is unattainable--you can be amazing at one thing, or very good at a few things, or be bad at a lot of them. To put it more positively, you get what you train for--if you don't train for anything specific, you will not get anything specific. But that may be your cup of tea, in which case Crossfit will be right for you. If Crossfit helps you discover that you're pretty good at Olympic weightlifting and that's how you get into it, then that's pretty awesome.

I also want to comment on something that hasn't been mentioned (I don't think), which is that Crossfit provides a supportive environment for women to get into heavy lifting and strength exercises. A lot of women find weights intimidating as hell, and this board provides daily proof. So props to their community for making weightlifting and powerlifting just a little more mainstream for women.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I wasn't bashing CrossFit. If you read the second part of my post, I encourage the OP to give it a shot. Different strokes for different folks. I would encourage anyone with an interest in a particular excercise modality to try it for themselves, and make an informed decision based on their own experience.

That being said, you must use caution when selecting an instructor and facility. There are great coaches everywhere, but there are bad coaches everywhere too, in all aspects of training/fitness.I know what I saw, and it was VERY unprofessional. Fortunately bad instructors eventually run themselves out of business, and hopefully do so without doing too much damage.
  • ProudArmyWifey8
    Options
    I just recently started crossfit and love it, I love the challenge! You can walk into a crossfit box and ask them to do the WOD and most of them will let you, so you can experience the workouts. That's how I started! Good luck and hope you at least drink a sip of that cross fit kool aid lol
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You can say what you want about Crossfit (and many people have) but they have kept the popularity of the oly lifts going.

Also, people criticising Crossfit because you might get injured doing it is, quite frankly, ridiculous. You might get injured doing almost any physical activity or sport. Are you more like to get an injury doing Crossfit than, say, Muay Thai or Krav Maga? I used to be a religious fanatic about skateboarding when I was younger - I'm willing to bet I got more injuries doing that than most crossfitters will experience in their total time there. Are the killjoys going to ban skateboarding now?

I would agree with is the poster who says that you are not training for a specific thing. But as an exposure to a varied palette of exercises, it seems to offer something you can't get elsewhere and in an atmosphere of mutual support. And if you are exposed to a wide range of exercises and that helps you develop a passion for sprinting or oly lifting (or whatever) you are then free to pursue that to a higher level on your own.

I am not a crossfitter, but why the need to bash? I'm happy people are getting in their workouts and are being exposed to new stuff and obviously in an atmosphere that is supportive, friendly and welcoming.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    I will never understand why people spend so much energy trying to deter people from doing what they may love. Even if you tried it and hated it that's YOUR experience, who are you to tell everyone who has a GREAT experience that they are doing wrong?

Why don't the bashers spend more time and energy on the things that work for them.

Its so annoying.

/

I love it, i'm getting stronger and fitter by the day.

Injured? Nope.. Aching? Yes
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started crosfitt 2 months ago and I love it!! I couldn't even do on real push-up because I had been doing the wrong thing where my elbows aren't alligned with my body, but now I can do plenty (on my knees of course) and I am probably the weakest person they have ever seen, but the thing about crossfit is that everybody is so supportive and you run your own game. You can do the real one, ask for a moderation and you will get one.

Unless of course you go to one of the fail boxes ('Box' is the crossfit gym). Some boxes have no idea what they are doing and are not doing correct technique and this will result in many many injuries. You are lifting heavy and if you have ever had a manuel job where you are lifting you have probably been told not to lift with your back, but with your legs.

There is this video from youtube of what I am talking about when I say 'bad boxes'. This makes my toes crinch and I can barely watch it. They are lifting so wrong which any idiot could see, because you are not suppose to be fifling around with a barbell trying to hold it with your stomach. AND on top of that they are are encouraging the "students" to lift weights that are clearly too heavy for them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

It is because of gyms like these that crossfit sometimes has a bad rep with some people.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I also want to comment on something that hasn't been mentioned (I don't think), which is that Crossfit provides a supportive environment for women to get into heavy lifting and strength exercises. A lot of women find weights intimidating as hell, and this board provides daily proof. So props to their community for making weightlifting and powerlifting just a little more mainstream for women.
    Excellent point...and very true! :flowerforyou:
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    No quality, trained, experienced fitness coach that cares about their reputation would want anything to do with an organization such as Crossfit that allows people with no education in physical fitness training beyond a 2-day Crossfit workshop be certified as a coach.

Any organization that allows people to be a "coach" after taking a 2-day workshop cares anything about quality control, or the reputation of their organization. All the Crossfit organization cares about is growing their brand by certifying people with almost no training and and raking in the money.

Yes, Crossfit has encouraged some women to get into strength training. But many more women have started strength training through programs like Les Mills Body Pump and Body Training Systems'Group Power, which are offered at many YMCAs and other gyms. Those classes are much less intimidating than Crossfit for those who are curious about strength training and looking for a good starting point..
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    No quality, trained, experienced fitness coach that cares about their reputation would want anything to do with an organization such as Crossfit that allows people with no education in physical fitness training beyond a 2-day Crossfit workshop be certified as a coach.

Any organization that allows people to be a "coach" after taking a 2-day workshop cares anything about quality control, or the reputation of their organization. All the Crossfit organization cares about is growing their brand by certifying people with almost no training and and raking in the money.

Yes, Crossfit has encouraged some women to get into strength training. But many more women have started strength training through programs like Les Mills Body Pump and Body Training Systems'Group Power, which are offered at many YMCAs and other gyms. Those classes are much less intimidating than Crossfit for those who are curious about strength training and looking for a good starting point..

you are protesting against crossfit so vehemently, that I get the impression you tried it and couldn't hack it.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    u are much better off putting together your fav lifts from the gym..Crossfit is a passing fad..its actually already done..
    POWERLIFTING FOREVAHHH
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Since when is Les Mills or Group Power a heavy lifting program?

Are you familiar with the certifications required to become a beach body coach? Might want to look those up.

Edit to remove bolding, I was going to use it but realize the entire post is contentious.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    For the OP, I have to pieces of advice. The first is to ignore the person quoted above. It's her life's mission to bash crossfit but no one really understands why. Or cares.

The second bit of advice is to stop considering, and start doing. They usually have a free introductory class. Go sign up. Nothing we can tell you will beat first hand experience. Find out for yourself if it's right for you.

First of all, DavPul, I should report your post to the moderators. You know nothing about me or what my mission in life might be.

Secondly, skinnymeep, you cannot tell much about a Crossfit by taking a free class. Free classes are nearly always geared towards beginners they want to enroll, so they will most likely put together a class with exercise moves nearly anyone can do.

If you want to know what goes on at Crossfit, watch some of their regular classes and see what would be expected of you once you get past the beginner stage. That way, you won't be wasting your time or money if Crossfit isn't really what you're looking for in an exercise program.

Before you sign up for anything, I would suggest that you check around the gyms in your area to see what they have in the way of small group personal training, and also check out boot camp classes that are small enough for you to get help with exercises and form when you need it.

If you do decided to sign up at Crossfit, remember that part of what you are paying for is a brand name. You can find a good variety of exercises with most personal training programs or boot camps, and they can be as tough as you need for them to be without having to pay extra just to say you're doing a brand name exercise program.

Actually you can tell a lot by taking the free class. You can learn what the trainers are like, how much they pay attention, how well they teach forms and lifts. Of course they are geared toward beginners because most do not know how to lift properly. Also, you can inquire with those other members that have been there for a while. Don't be afraid to talk to others that are there and see what they like/dislike and maybe how they got started.

They are not going to throw someone into a ungodly hard workout at the beginning as they are not ready. With that being said once you get through on-ramp and learn the moves you will be thrown into "regular" workouts as stated but they can all be modified to what you are capable of doing.

I suggest taking a free introductory class or doing a group-on -- that way there is no commitment yet and you can see if it is for you. You either like it or you don't....choose your path.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Edit to remove bolding, I was going to use it but realize the entire post is contentious.

This made me lol!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Look, any company promoting a program wants to make some money. None of us are naive enough to think they're not. HOWEVER, many (GOOD) CrossFit gyms have trainers that are not only certified to do CrossFit, but are trained in Olympic lifts (the Mark Rippitoe program, etc.) and are personal trainers with years of experience. MINE for example. Over 25 years of training for the Head coach, and he trained military folks for most of that time. The other coaches are also required to do the Mark Rippitoe certification, the CrossFit piece, AND have personal training experience, or a lot of years behind them. They concentrate of FORM above all else. AND they got me lifting heavy for the first time in my life.

And many of us are also smart enough to know that YES, there are many CrossFIt wannabe gyms out there now (because any popular workout will have people jumping on the bandwagon) with less than qualified trainers who are pushing people beyond what's safe, and not caring about form, and all those other complaints. YouTube is full of videos showing the UGLY side of this thing.

I don't think CrossFit is the be-all, end-all of workouts. But it was a workout that made my entire body strong (b/c we included the Olylmpic lifting) in a way that nothing else did.

But I trust people to judge for themselves, especially if they're considering this choice carefully. I trust the OP to find her own way based on where she feels comfortable, doing what she likes.

To the OP -- the one caution I have is that if you are a very competitive person in general (like to push), you have to wrestle with that demon in a good CrossFit gym. I found myself pushing too hard at times, and having to pull back and re-*kitten*. My form was OK, the trainers were doing their job well, but I needed to be more aware of my tendency to push when perhaps I shouldn't. However, that's part of what a good "box" teaches you -- to push limits but be safe, to wrestle with your body and ALSO with your emotions (ego, etc.) to get where you want to be.

To Janebshaw -- If you haven't tried it yourself, you should keep your opinions to just that -- OPINIONS. Not rhetoric, or hysteria. Anyone can bash something. Lend your direct experience with some compassion instead and you may actually help someone.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    38225558.jpg
    No joke, someone was wearing a mask that makes it more difficult to breathe to help with Crossfit.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Again, a GOOD CrossFit gym with good trainers is actually very SUPPORTIVE, welcoming, and encouraging, even of brand new female lifters. In fact, the one I go to has many more female members over 40 than any other gym I've been to. We even have a handful of women who started at age 55+ and love it. It helps that the coach's wife is a trainer too, and is a Physician's Assistant who lifts and is our biggest cheerleader.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    38225558.jpg
    No joke, someone was wearing a mask that makes it more difficult to breathe to help with Crossfit.

People do that in MMA too to train for oxygen deprivation in matches. Such things aren't exclusive to xfit.
  • foot56
    foot56 Posts: 44
    Options
    In my first three months of CrossFit, I came to grips with who I truly was, how out of shape I had let myself become and what kind of impact a steady and compounding list of physical achievements could have on my daily life. Now I find myself fleeing from the city after work each day at top speed just to make it back in time for a class. I find myself declining virtually every opportunity to drink at happy hours and eat lavish dinners and the like. Anyone who knows me will tell you how out of character all of this is.
    But I’ve found a new addiction, something that both takes everything from me – physically, emotionally and mentally – and then gives me back even more than I had before. I’m hooked, and now all I want to do is keep getting better at it.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    38225558.jpg

People do that in MMA too to train for oxygen deprivation in matches. Such things aren't exclusive to xfit.

That's badass. I had never seen it before in my non-xfit gym, but when I asked his explanation was xfit related.
    Don't get me wrong, he was really nice and helpful, he spent some time helping me with my clean and jerk form.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    38225558.jpg

That's badass. I had never seen it before in my non-xfit gym, but when I asked his explanation was xfit related.
    Don't get me wrong, he was really nice and helpful, he spent some time helping me with my clean and jerk form.

Understood, in all honesty I think it's pretty silly outside of a couple very specific scenarios. But for people who don't understand why it's being done it's a pretty important clarification.
This discussion has been closed.