Why do people do this??

Options
1234568»

Replies

• tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I actually did this a few days ago, and in my case it was because there are only three of a certain type of treadmill (it's wider, better cushioned, and has a better motor), and only one was still available. The chick next to me looked upset, but I couldn't care less.
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    LOL I must march to my own drummer as I do read once in awhile while on the treadmill. I prefer some music better. We don't have t.v.'s at our fitness center but we do have a nice view of Lake Superior.

I don't know how anyone could read a book while doing cardio but watching TV is just a case of looking at the screen surely! I was watching a football game.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I hate when people stand too close to me in lines and stuff but idk how I would feel about this. I suppose I wouldn't mind too much if someone wanted to run next to me. As long as they don't get annoyed at my panting lol. I would probably be cool with it. Also, as long as they don't try to talk to me cuz I like to concentrate and be left alone.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Nicky, why didnt she just use one of the others. I will tell you though, I do have a favorite machine athe the gym that I like to use and if noones on it, I will use it however, its one of five.
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't think about other's personal space, they only have thoughts for themselves.
  • lovingbears2
    Options
    This gets me too, I dont understand it. My finacee and I went to watch a movie in a big theater. We were the only ones in there and we sat in the back row. This couple came in before the movie started so it was light in there and sat directly in front of us in the next row. My finacee and I looked at each other and started laughing out loud. I mean come on!
    Did you stop to consider that some people like to sit as near the back as possible? Like you do?
    No_photo_thumbnail lovingbears2 Selector

Joined Jun 2010

Fri 07/27/12 03:13 PM
    well, going with that thought, the entire back row was open, according to her. Why sit DIRECTLY in front of the
    only other people in the theater? I agree, personal space and heads!
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to remember when I ever paid attention to the person on the treadmill next to me, unless they were making weird noises or singing out loud. (it's happened, and THAT"s weird)

As for the theatre, personally I like to sit in a particular place in a theatre, both row and section. And other than sitting right next to a stranger, I wouldn't pay attention to who is in front or behind me. Unless the person in front of me is wearing a hat.

I don't know. I have major space issues. I don't like to be touched. I maintain a good bubble between me and others, but the treadmill/exercise machine next to mine is usually pretty far outside the bubble.
  • kaliso
    kaliso Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's the only way she can actually get close to someone. Or maybe that's her favorite treadmill. IMO, as long as they aren't wearing cologne or perfume, I could care less. But I do understand the need for "personal space" amongst people. That's why in theatres you hardly see strangers sitting next to each other.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yuck to perfume and cologne.
  • lovingbears2
    Options
    I don't understand why it mattered??? It bothered you so much, you posted about it??

>Funny your picture reads, "Who will you inspire today?" Wasn't inspired by your comment to the topic! LOL!!

HAAH i was thinking the same exact thing

:laugh: me, too!!!!:wink:
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way in public restrooms. There are 10 stalls free. Why did you take the one right next to me?

^^^^This!!!^^^^^

*Tries to remember the last time she saw 10 open stalls in a public restroom that she could bring herself to use*

It's hard enough to find one.

I am with you though I prefer the stall next to be empty... I also hate it when people call out to me while I'm in the restroom at home.

Hello!!! restroom time is private time if nobody's bleeding and the house isn't on fire leave me alone! It makes me wonder how they survive when I'm away from home.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I hate this as well! Drives me crazy, in the public restroom, sonic drive in, movie theatre.. grrr. I like my space.

Have you considered it's not your space.........your space is at your place, in a gym, restaurant etc it's just as much "their space" as "your space".......
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I didn't!! Who said I did?

Re car park, empty car parks .. hate leaving my car on its own with no other cars to keep it ccompany
    I feel the same way in public restrooms. There are 10 stalls free. Why did you take the one right next to me?
  • bubmaster
    bubmaster Posts: 90
    Options
    maybe she just wanted some company...maybe you should try to relax and be more friendly:smile:
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Meh, it doesn't bother me unless people start trying to 'peep'. You know the ones, having a nosy at how fast you're going, what resistance you're on, how many calories you've burned. Keep an eye on your own work!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I read advise in a fitness mag that said to pick a machine next to someone who looks like they know what they are doing and try and keep pace with them....
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    ok... so......

1. some people need personal space.
    2. some people don't need personal space.
    3. some people who need personal space resent the people who invade their personal space.
    4. some people who don't need personal space resent people who speak up about needing personal space.
    5. some people who don't need personal space think people who need personal space have no right to expect it in a public place.
    6. some people feel the need to give advice on all matters of personal space.
    7. some people think it might be fun to vent a little on a message forum about the things they find irritating about other people.
    8. some people feel the need to write posts disagreeing with the "ventees", no matter how pointless or "amusing" the post is.
    9. some people think anyone who doesn't share their viewpoint is automatically wrong. period.

Did I cover everything? LOL :bigsmile: