Olympics 2012

Options
12346»

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Probably at the time London bid for the Olympics the economy was better, since you've got to bid so far ahead. I'm sure those of you grumbling and complaining would sit there asking for heads to roll if London said at the last second, "oh WAIT, we can't really afford this. Sorry world, find somewhere else to play". Years go into building and planning. You would've been screaming about national pride and how you needed to buck up and do it anyways because it's an honor and prestige thing, how bad it looks that you've backed out, blah blah.

If Londoners and the British people were so against the Olympics, why did you guys bid on it?

Er, no-one asked us! That decision was made by a small group of people with no reference to the population at large! Yes, the decision was made in a different economic era, and yes, years of preparation are necessary, so there was no way of getting out of it, realistically, and the cost of doing so would probably have been higher than getting on with it. It's pointless to wonder about the nation's feelings about an impossible withdrawal. What I will say is that LOCOG have handled the whole thing very poorly, forgetting that London is not just about the Olympics for the next month, and making many Londoners feel irrelevant in their own city - hardly a way to win hearts and minds...
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm really excited about it!

I live in Manchester so we're having a very small part in hosting the football (games already played here and the opening cermony hasn't even happened, us Northerners are SO ahead of the game, lol! :laugh: )

I'm proud to be British and I'm proud of the fact we've had the opportunity to hold such a display, such diversity, so many amazing athletes and such fantastic facilities which OUR athletes will still be able to use in years to come.

I can't WAIT to see what Danny Boyle does for the opening ceremony, I'm hoping for an all out Bonkers British Bonanza that shows off our creativity and some of the many wonders of our tiny islands!!

Rule Britannia and God Save The Queen!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Good for you Billy and while on the subject what is this with none English players on the Men and Women's football teams not singing the National Anthem, they are representing Great Britain and God Save The Queen is the Nations Anthem.

:grumble:
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Probably at the time London bid for the Olympics the economy was better, since you've got to bid so far ahead. I'm sure those of you grumbling and complaining would sit there asking for heads to roll if London said at the last second, "oh WAIT, we can't really afford this. Sorry world, find somewhere else to play". Years go into building and planning. You would've been screaming about national pride and how you needed to buck up and do it anyways because it's an honor and prestige thing, how bad it looks that you've backed out, blah blah.

If Londoners and the British people were so against the Olympics, why did you guys bid on it? For the Prestige. And now that you have it for a historic 3rd time, you're sitting there complaining and grumbling and whining.

Most countries can't afford to do the Olympics. Brazil certainly can't. The world economy is bad. Even amateur athletes have a tough time because unless they're pros they have close to ZERO money and it's expensive to train, travel, etc for the Olympics. You know why it's done? Because other than a few exceptions it's one of the few times that the world can pretty much come together in one event. For the first time there are women in EVERY sport (per NBC this morning), there is an Afghani female sprinter who is the only female member of her team who will be racing for a medal, there's a shooter from Malaysia who is 8 months pregnant. There is a South African runner who has prosthetic legs who is competing. And, yes, even the Saudi team has sent female members (there's an issue with the headscarf for safety in Judo but they are part of the Saudi team).

So enjoy your "once in a lifetime experience" and when it's over you'll be surprised how many good memories you might actually have. However, keep up this garbage attitude and a lot of tourism that would've been won from it will disappear - right now, Londoners are looking like a bunch of complaining, unhappy, bitter people and who wants to vacation around that?

Rant over. :smile:

1) I'm not a Londoner. I live pretty near to Slough, and all the roads around me are going to be choc a block with people trying to get down to London/going to the random aquatic events staggered around the countryside. I have a right to moan.

2) I'd have been all for us pulling out, had those in charge had the foresight to think about implications of cost when it was blazingly obvious that we were headed for an economic downturn any time soon.

3) The decision wasn't anything to do with the people of Britain; or the people of London, for that matter. It was a number of politicians and businessmen like Lord Coe who thought it'd be a great idea.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

If Londoners and the British people were so against the Olympics, why did you guys bid on it? For the Prestige. And now that you have it for a historic 3rd time, you're sitting there complaining and grumbling and whining.

Most countries can't afford to do the Olympics. Brazil certainly can't. The world economy is bad. Even amateur athletes have a tough time because unless they're pros they have close to ZERO money and it's expensive to train, travel, etc for the Olympics. You know why it's done? Because other than a few exceptions it's one of the few times that the world can pretty much come together in one event. For the first time there are women in EVERY sport (per NBC this morning), there is an Afghani female sprinter who is the only female member of her team who will be racing for a medal, there's a shooter from Malaysia who is 8 months pregnant. There is a South African runner who has prosthetic legs who is competing. And, yes, even the Saudi team has sent female members (there's an issue with the headscarf for safety in Judo but they are part of the Saudi team).

So enjoy your "once in a lifetime experience" and when it's over you'll be surprised how many good memories you might actually have. However, keep up this garbage attitude and a lot of tourism that would've been won from it will disappear - right now, Londoners are looking like a bunch of complaining, unhappy, bitter people and who wants to vacation around that?

1) I'm not a Londoner. I live pretty near to Slough, and all the roads around me are going to be choc a block with people trying to get down to London/going to the random aquatic events staggered around the countryside. I have a right to moan.

2) I'd have been all for us pulling out, had those in charge had the foresight to think about implications of cost when it was blazingly obvious that we were headed for an economic downturn any time soon.

3) The decision wasn't anything to do with the people of Britain; or the people of London, for that matter. It was a number of politicians and businessmen like Lord Coe who thought it'd be a great idea.

:flowerforyou: I love you :flowerforyou:
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Well said, but part of the reasons the we are grumbling about it is because of the way the contractors who have built the venues have fleeced us for doing it. One politician said this week that it's an achievement to have redeveloped the East End of London in such a short time, which it is but how much will be knocked down because it's not fit for future use but cost millions for the 4 weeks. The Olympic village is a prime example, if it had been properly thought out a design that could be converted into new homes after the event would have been a better idea. The company paid nearly £300 Million to provide security but have failed, they are saying they might lose £50 Million of that because our Police and Service Men and Women will have to fill in the gap. They are having leave cancelled and no compensation for anything they had booked which they can no longer use, that company should be replacing any booked holiday that these wonderful Men and Women are losing and if they come out of it with £1 Million in profit think themselves lucky.

Rant Over :grumble:

Now lets kick some serious Butt and keep the Gold Medals here :happy:
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I ❤ THE OLYMPICS

I've been watching the men and woman soccer yesterday and today (I guess since it takes longer to get through all the teams they have to start early?) and i've been totally getting into it. Honduras and Morocco are on now on NBC.

The opening ceremonies are at 7:30 :)
    I was at this game, and the following Japan vs Spain game too, it was sooo exciting and an excellent day out in Glasgow (Yes, SCOTLAND!) I was giving it my all in the mexican waves!! I'm really excited about the olympics, and we're going to see the swimming in london on monday (I won these tickets on a lotto scratch card!!)
    I think Glasgow is feeling the Olympic spirit. OK, maybe a lot of people aren't mega-excited, butthere's definetely a positive vibe for it, and it's preparation for the commonwealth games being held here in 2014. (one of the main stadia just at the end of my street)

As for the footie, I personally dont think we should compete as Team GB in mens football, just because of all the 'controversy' it seems to create. I'm sick of the inter-GB bickering of scotland vs england. Every athlete should get there on merit and skill. alone. we'd be better spending Team GB money on other sports.

Can't wait for the official opening, but for me the Olympics is well on it's way already :-D YAY!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

Well said, but part of the reasons the we are grumbling about it is because of the way the contractors who have built the venues have fleeced us for doing it. One politician said this week that it's an achievement to have redeveloped the East End of London in such a short time, which it is but how much will be knocked down because it's not fit for future use but cost millions for the 4 weeks. The Olympic village is a prime example, if it had been properly thought out a design that could be converted into new homes after the event would have been a better idea. The company paid nearly £300 Million to provide security but have failed, they are saying they might lose £50 Million of that because our Police and Service Men and Women will have to fill in the gap. They are having leave cancelled and no compensation for anything they had booked which they can no longer use, that company should be replacing any booked holiday that these wonderful Men and Women are losing and if they come out of it with £1 Million in profit think themselves lucky.

Re the Olympic village, a lot of the apartment blocks built in the village contain some element of social housing which have to be built to a higher specification than standard developments.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Ummm...The Olympic Village IS going to be turned into housing. As for the security detail, yea that sucks.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/07/25/photos-london-2012-summer-games-olympic-village/

As for the origianl topic, I love the Olympics both Summer and Winter. I plan on watching as mush as I can. oh..now I wonder if I can stream anything at work. hmmm...Off to see what I can find.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Danny Boyle you did us proud, my hat off to you Sir.

James Bond and the Queen, priceless, my kids were open mouthed in shock, as was I.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

James Bond and the Queen, priceless, my kids were open mouthed in shock, as was I.

Agree, priceless, brilliant and an excellent display, loved it all! Mr Boyle did us pride!!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Agree, priceless, brilliant and an excellent display, loved it all! Mr Boyle did us pride!!

This!
    It was brilliant. The Queen parachuting and Mr.Bean had my two in hysterics. The torch part at the end when the horn like lights raised up was stunning too!!
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Well I heard it was fantastic...all except for the feed we got here from NBC. They cut out the 7/7 tribute in favor of a Michael Phelps interview, Lauer was making Idi Amin jokes when Uganda went by, they didn't show the Saudi female athletes, and apparently they talked the entire time so no one could hear the music. Oh, and apparently they showed a few seconds only of the Beatles and they cut out the oath.

People on NBC's facebook page are really ticked, and apparently last night one of the big twitter trends was telling Matt Lauer to shut up. Apparently it didn't work.

Anyone have a link to a replay or a youtube version that we can watch here? What a mess by NBC.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    It was brilliant. Bet all the nay-sayers are eating their words!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    What an exciting first 2 days of competition!!!
  • SurrenderToNothing
    Options
    What events are you all tracking?

For me, it's the gymnastics, swimming and fencing.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I watch them all!
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    Kayaking is on now, that is some awesome stuff!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Bah humbug I am sick to death of the Olympics !!

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !

I agree completed!! But being a Northerner I'm bound to - we're not seeing any of the "benefits" up here!!!

I kind of have to agree.

Working closely with the NHS, and having it seen stripped of assets and revenue over the last few years in attempts to make "efficiency savings" I was a bit insulted with the stupid stuff about "celebrating the NHS" with dancing nurses and kids in PJs jumping on hospital beds. I had a real WTF moment there. :huh:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

If Londoners and the British people were so against the Olympics, why did you guys bid on it?

erm... there wasn't exactly a referendum on the matter. :huh:
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well I heard it was fantastic...all except for the feed we got here from NBC. They cut out the 7/7 tribute in favor of a Michael Phelps interview, Lauer was making Idi Amin jokes when Uganda went by, they didn't show the Saudi female athletes, and apparently they talked the entire time so no one could hear the music. Oh, and apparently they showed a few seconds only of the Beatles and they cut out the oath.

People on NBC's facebook page are really ticked, and apparently last night one of the big twitter trends was telling Matt Lauer to shut up. Apparently it didn't work.

Anyone have a link to a replay or a youtube version that we can watch here? What a mess by NBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00wm0br