How do you motivate yourself for early AM workouts?

Options

Replies

• erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'd love to work out in the morning instead of at night once my daughter goes to bed.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I tell myself since I won't have time to do it after work I might as well do it in the AM so I don't gain weight.
    Yes I have to reason with myself. Also making sure I get to sleep as early as possible helps.
  • CarlyRobbinsGilbert
    Options
    I make sure I have my clothes ready, and I get up about 15-20 minutes before I want to workout. I know that just sounds like extra torture, but it gives me time to wake up, have a cup of tea, wash my face, etc. I still have morning workout problems but these two things have helped alot!
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think it starts by getting to bed at a decent hour the night before.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    At 5:30PM when I get home from work the outside temp is 90 degrees. At 5:30AM an hour before I normally awake the outside temp is around 75 degrees. I prefer to run 4 or 5 miles when it's 75 than when it's 90. So the temp makes the decision for me. I do sometimes run in the afternoon, especially if there is a light rain. Or I ride my bicycle in the afternoon.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've been doing morning workouts for some time now, and my two main motivators are the feeling I have going to work in the AM (like I am just buzzing with energy!) and seeing my net calories go negative! LOL That might not be the healthiest motivation in the world, but I love knowing that all those extra cals are there waiting for me. :D

I get up just after 4AM most weekdays (3:45 if I need to be in the office early), so I can finish my cardio and be at work by 7:30. I have everything ready to go the night before, clothes by the bed and my filled water bottle in the fridge. I also prep the coffee the night before so I can just flip it on when I get back en route to the shower. I think being organized helps tremendously.

Good luck to all you potential early risers!! :flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I never seem in the mood to exercise at night, but struggle to wake up at 5am to get it done for 30 min before work. Any ideas to get myself out of that bed an moving? I just feel like maybe I need to do it in the morning - the whole "do it in the morning or it won't get done" mentality.
    Exactly what I feel. So question for you....what time do you go to bed?
    Plan to train yourself to an early bedtime.
    Also get your clothes ready on the floor with shoes.

If you don't go to bed early enough, you just won't want to get up early

I usually workout at about 4:30-5am at the gym.
    I love it 'cause I get to have a morning...including a breakfast that's right for me.
    Otherwise, I would feel I am taking too much time from my family.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself on a daily basis that this will benefit be (health-wise) in the long run. Also, that if I don't focus on losing weight now, that I'll never do it, and be miserable.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I prefer mornings, because I never know what my day holds or if I will have the energy to do it after a long day, plus theres a whole day for me to come up with an excuse :-P

I'm a mroning person, so I like getting up early. Which means I go to bed early also. BUT if you're not a morning person, here's some tricks.

1. Move the alarm clock to a dresser or table across the room from your bed, so you have to get up to turn it off.

2. put your workout gear next to the alam clock so it's ready to go

3 if you have a dog , walk it before you work out so you get your blood going, if no dog just go for little walk to get your blood going
    4 drink a glass of water before you start. You've been alseep for 6-8 hours so you're dehydrated and you'd be surprised how that little act will help :)

I know once my workouts done I feel great and get an energy surge from it!
  • Yellabutterfly05
    Yellabutterfly05 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any AM workouts, but I'm going to start August off right!
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am, I set my alarm on my phone with an uber annoying ringtone and place it far away from my bed so I have to get up to turn it off... Well then all it takes it some willpower, workout clothes on and start working out before your brain catches up and tells you to crawl back to bed lol. Its so hard though. :laugh:

I use that annoying ringtone "Old Phone" when I know that I have to get up no matter what. The first thing I do is stagger into the bathroom and brush my teeth and wash my face. That wakes me up too much to enjoy going back to bed.

I lay my clothes out the night before, so there's no excuse about putting them on. I also lay out a towel and the top to my water bottle by the front door, so that I remember to get it out of the 'fridge.

I know it's too hot in the evenings to walk, so I head out the door glad for the relative coolness.

I like knowing that I've got it in before planning my food for the day. Without exercise, I feel like I'm on a starvation diet. I have to have those extra calories. So, I tell myself that I have to get up and exercise or I won't get to eat!

I'm trying to get to bed earlier. The more I get up early in the morning, the easier it is to go to bed earlier and earlier in the evening. I also limit my caffeine after dinner, so that it's easier to go to sleep and I don't wake up to go to the bathroom as much.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I have plenty of mornings (this morning haha) that I yawned my way through it but if I actually go to bed at a decent time and get 8 hours, it's done... and it's SO nice to not have to think about it for the rest of the day. The first week or two were the worst, now it's just a habit. :)
  • amiers11
    amiers11 Posts: 33
    Options
    I work out at 5am. At first it was very hard to wake up, and in those first couple of weeks I missed workouts. Well before I knew it, I was up before my alarm and not missing workouts. My day gets started off right when I work out first thing, and I feel very guilty when I miss a day. I think once you get into a routine you will find waking up for the gym becomes easier.
  • abc2003family
    abc2003family Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just started exercising on a regular basis at 5am. For me, it is not a matter of motivation and wanting to, it is just doing it. I also get as much ready the night before as I can. I have found that right now for me, it is more important that I do it than to feel that I'm getting the best work out possible. Last time I started with 30DS and didn't stick with it beyond four days. This time I've been excerising with the Leslie Sansone walking videos and ...dont' laugh... Sweatin to the Oldies :laugh: and I find it much easier to keep my morning routine this way. Once I get into the habit I'll start to challenge myself again. Stick with it, you'll find something that works for you. :)
  • nelsoji
    nelsoji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Once my alarm goes off, it's basically useless to go back to bed because I am already awake, and by the time I actually fall back to sleep, it's time for me to go ahead and get up.

That is what I figure also. Setting the alarm the night before is easy, once it goes off as long as you have to wake up SOME to turn it off, its not worth sleeping until your "normal" wakeup time because by time you get back to sleep you only have 45 minutes or so and gave up an hour plus of working out. Once you do the math it just makes sense to get up - then when you start seeing results and feel more confident in your clothes after a workout - it makes it even easier!!
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just don't hit the snooze and I go straight to the bathroom and brush my teeth. Once that's done, I cannot go back to sleep. Plus I tell myself it's better to get it done and out of the way so I don't have it hanging over my head all day.
  • kristengraham
    kristengraham Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to be an early morning workout girl. I don't know what happened. I just can't seem to fall asleep before 12 anymore.... I can lay down at 10... but that's it -- I just lay there. How do ya'll go to sleep so early, to feel rested?
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 to workout. First and foremost, you will get used to it. If you do it every day after the first week it's not nearly as difficult. For me, I know that 1. I feel better when I work out and 2. I skip twice as many workouts that're scheduled after work. I get up, workout, shower, have breakfast, and typically have a half an hour left over. I use that time to do random little tasks around the house - dusting, a load of laundry, etc - so that when I get home, all I have to do is unwind.
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1. I put the alarm clock across the room so I have to physically get out of bed to shut it off (this doesn't always keep me from jumping back in though haha)

2. I wear my workout clothes to bed, so all I have to do is literally wake up and put my sneakers on!

LOL I haven't thought about wearing my clothes to bed. What a great idea :D
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I suffer with insomnia anyway so am usually awake at 4am even though my alarm isn't due to go off until 6.30. I figure I might as well get up and get it done then my evening will be free when I finish work. It's tough some days when you just wanna stay under the duvet but as long as I get up as soon as I wake up, im good to go, hope all these comments help motivate you x