Diet Soda correlation to wt gain, diabetes, etc...

Options

Replies

• AimeeZingLife
    AimeeZingLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Correlations are magical, take a math class, you can correlate almost anything with anything given the right data curve, it was pretty funny.

Now granted, not everyone tolerates artificial sweeteners, my daughter is allergic to them all, gee whiz, I can't have Stevia, instant allergy, turns out it's because I"m allergic to ragweed, lol.

Some folks are susceptible to the "correlation syndrome" and follow whatever is told them, hmmm.

If you don't want it, don't drink it and give up the damn preaching and spreading of "Legends and myths".
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything.

Neither is BeachBody.
  • _tjejen_
    _tjejen_ Posts: 38
    Options
    Can someone tell me how you can stop drinking a caffeinated beverage.

Get headaches associated with caffeine withdrawal.

Say it can't be withdrawal from caffeine as caffeine intake is the same. Even though you've just said you've stopped drinking a caffeinated beverage?

Because I drink coffee?

Do I need to post my qualifications to have a valid opinion too? let's face it folks we are talking about opinion not fact and that goes for both sides.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this article! I (unlike most of my MFP brothers and sisters) agree 100%. All the nay-sayers should watch "Sweet Misery". It only takes a tiny bit of Aspartame to do a lot of damage....http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world/

Exactly. I have rolled my eyes over the years at people who were telling me "stop drinking that stuff it is going to hurt you"
    thinking, "oh, quit the drama". Well, now I am paying for it. I've just been told the news I have osteoporosis. It is painful,
    a difficulty to work through especially during workouts and I am only 37. What is more painful to me is that I should have listened
    to the warnings. Sure the diet soda might not be giving you symptoms now...but wait 5- 15-20 years and see how you feel.
    There has been no long term studies...what are these chemicals going to do to our bodies in the years to come? And why are
    we willing to risk it? Part of the problem, I think, is that we are addicted just like an alcoholic is to alcohol but since it
    is an addiction that does not change our behavior (or does it?!) it is more widely accepted. If we are drinking diet soda to
    get the sweet fix then we really haven't beaten our addiction to sweets. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love diet coke
    but it is destroying my health bit by bit and I don't want that for me or my family.

I'm sorry that you're going through such a tough time... so I apologize if this comes off being insensitive, but... are you saying that drinking diet soda caused your osteoporosis? Because I've not seen or heard of any study done that provides that conclusion. If you are making that claim, can you provide some resources to show that? I'd be interested in seeing how a disease that comes from a deficiency in Vitamin D and calcium can be triggered by something like diet soda.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My final thoughts on this matter are simple.

I have not found, nor has anyone presented to me, reputable medical/scientific data that proves that diet drinks have any negative effects on anything, save maybe the environment given the containers they're in.

I have found an abundance of anecdotal data stating that diet drinks will give you cancer, make you crave sweets, stop you from losing weight, make you gain weight, etc.

If you want to believe the anecdotes, I don't have a problem with that. I'm never going to hold my sister down and force diet coke down her throat.

I prefer to believe the medical data, and similarly, my sister is not going to harangue me in to quitting my diet coke.

We're adults. We make our own choices, based on our own experience, and our own thoughts.

Do what makes you feel happiest.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this article! I (unlike most of my MFP brothers and sisters) agree 100%. All the nay-sayers should watch "Sweet Misery". It only takes a tiny bit of Aspartame to do a lot of damage....http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world/

Exactly. I have rolled my eyes over the years at people who were telling me "stop drinking that stuff it is going to hurt you"
    thinking, "oh, quit the drama". Well, now I am paying for it. I've just been told the news I have osteoporosis. It is painful,
    a difficulty to work through especially during workouts and I am only 37. What is more painful to me is that I should have listened
    to the warnings. Sure the diet soda might not be giving you symptoms now...but wait 5- 15-20 years and see how you feel.
    There has been no long term studies...what are these chemicals going to do to our bodies in the years to come? And why are
    we willing to risk it? Part of the problem, I think, is that we are addicted just like an alcoholic is to alcohol but since it
    is an addiction that does not change our behavior (or does it?!) it is more widely accepted. If we are drinking diet soda to
    get the sweet fix then we really haven't beaten our addiction to sweets. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love diet coke
    but it is destroying my health bit by bit and I don't want that for me or my family.

I'm sorry that you're going through such a tough time... so I apologize if this comes off being insensitive, but... are you saying that drinking diet soda caused your osteoporosis? Because I've not seen or heard of any study done that provides that conclusion. If you are making that claim, can you provide some resources to show that? I'd be interested in seeing how a disease that comes from a deficiency in Vitamin D and calcium can be triggered by something like diet soda.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw a study that carbonated beverages (and that includes just plain carbonated water) can block calcium absorbtion. Of course, it's not just diet soda. But generally, it takes more than drinking the carbondated beverage to get osteoporosis. It takes a lack of calcium in the diet.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Say it can't be withdrawal from caffeine as caffeine intake is the same. Even though you've just said you've stopped drinking a caffeinated beverage?

Because I drink coffee?

Do I need to post my qualifications to have a valid opinion too? let's face it folks we are talking about opinion not fact and that goes for both sides.

Posting your qualifications won't help me understand. As long as you deliberately increased your coffee consumption do account for the lack of coke, then I understand.
  • _tjejen_
    _tjejen_ Posts: 38
    Options

Because I drink coffee?

Also...I might point out that I never said I agreed with the OP. What I said was that its not UNhealthy to switch to water.

Edit: increase in coffee after stopping the diet coke. which i still crave btw. Not sugar or more food. specifically diet coke.
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Goodness this certainly sparked some fiery discussion!!! 8/
  • gaerielsky
    gaerielsky Posts: 20
    Options
    Is it healthy for you to drink Diet Pepsi - no. But it is worse for you to drink regular Pepsi. Best thing is water.

However, that gets boring and as long as you're responsible for your eating habits and don't "blame the cola" for grabbing a Snickers it's fine. You may get a little bloat or gas from the carbonation but that would happen with seltzer too.

I love my Diet Pepsi... I lost 172 lbs a few years ago and didn't give it up. But yes, I didn't count it toward my "water" for the day. 8 glasses. It was "extra"
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    FEARMONGER
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    correlation =/ causation
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Because I drink coffee?

Actually, there is over 4 times as much caffeine per flow ounce of coffee as diet coke. I would say it is much more likely that by increasing your coffee consumption, you gave yourself a headache for 3 days from ODing on caffeine until your body readjusted. But hey, keep fooling yourself that you are the magic-one-man-prove-all of science.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I know others have already stated this but just to add to the testimonials....I've lost 106 lbs drinking 1-2 diet sodas everyday, plus crystal light, sweet and low in my teas, etc. My husband is type 1 diabetic and intakes more artificial sugar than I do and has perfect A1C readings every 3 months. It still comes down to self control.
  • bellesmama75
    Options
    I gave up diet sodas and artificial sweetners in February after a 30 year habit. I drank a cupof coffee a day for a month so I didn't go through caffeine withdrawl. I switched to iced tea and stevia for my sweetner. After the first 2 weeks of everday massive headaches stopped I found that my daily sweet cravings had stopped also, My average 3 to 4 headaches a week stopped. I have lost 10 lbs without even changing my eating habits or exercising (I never was of the attitude that if I drank diet soda, I could eat a Big Mac). This was the easiest weight I have lost (other than childbirth). I'm a beliver in the study only because it reafirms what has happened to me. Everybody is different and food affects them differently. If I ate the way my husband eats, I would have weighed over 400 lbs. He has kept his weight within 15 lbs of the weight he graduated High School almost 40 yrs ago.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I know others have already stated this but just to add to the testimonials....I've lost 106 lbs drinking 1-2 diet sodas everyday, plus crystal light, sweet and low in my teas, etc. My husband is type 1 diabetic and intakes more artificial sugar than I do and has perfect A1C readings every 3 months. It still comes down to self control.

^^ This.
  • di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic!!! My SIL keeps telling me that I should quit diet pepsi because of the chemicals in it.......I said 1-2 cans a day will not do anything to me. Now I know many others who agree! :)
  • tundeke
    tundeke Posts: 80
    Options
    I drink around 2-3 cans of diet coke a day and i don't crave any food or sweets.

However, I also have stomach problems (the lining of my stomach is infected). I am not saying that the diet coke caused it, but it might helped damaging it together with other foods, because of the acid that contains.

Funny enough if i drink any natural, freshly squeezed fruit juices it's worse than coke: i have really bad indigestion; but if i drink coke nothing is wrong with me. How do we explain that?
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    The source of the article is "Natural News", not a medical journal.

The article does not state how much aspartame the rats were given, nor does it compare it to X number of ounces of Diet Coke. How would you even know how much is too much? Real studies provide numbers, not just fearmongering.

This is why you need to do your research, folks. You can't believe everything you read.