Short People Losing Weight

Options

Replies

• JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my maintenance is only 1600! So I have to eat low calorie if I don't want to gain. I eat about 1200 and I am comfortable with it. Some people say 1200 is sooooo low and soooo dangerous which is not true.

I am 5 ft and and 101. Yesterday I ate a little over 2000 calories. Being short isn't an automatic low calorie lifestyle.
    True, but it does make it less likely that a low caloric intake will be unhealthy. The rest of the lifestyle plays a big role (for everyone, not just short people).

There is a lot of assumption that because you are short, can't eat a lot. Again, being short doesn't mean you are doomed to 1200 calories for life.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my maintenance is only 1600! So I have to eat low calorie if I don't want to gain. I eat about 1200 and I am comfortable with it. Some people say 1200 is sooooo low and soooo dangerous which is not true.

I am 5 ft and and 101. Yesterday I ate a little over 2000 calories. Being short isn't an automatic low calorie lifestyle.
    True, but it does make it less likely that a low caloric intake will be unhealthy. The rest of the lifestyle plays a big role (for everyone, not just short people).

There is a lot of assumption that because you are short, can't eat a lot. Again, being short doesn't mean you are doomed to 1200 calories for life.

True, she said her maintenance was 1,600. That does not mean 1,200 for life.
  • sweetpickle84
    sweetpickle84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have lost close to 38 pounds! Still have more to loose but I feel great losing what I have! Good luck!:)
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    4ft11 xx
  • amdst6
    amdst6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Almost 5'1" and ultimate goal of being 110. In the beginning of the year I lost about 17 pounds with watch watchers but then went off of it. Gained back the majority of that and so now I need to get my act together, stop being sad about it and actually do a real lifestyle change! Currently, doing insanity and hoping to start running soon once I get used to cardio in the privacy of my own home lol
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have been at 1200 calories since Memorial Day last year.
    I've especially been enjoying Jazzercise, but I weight train, practice Tai Chi and swim. I'm looking into adding yoga to the mix.
    I turned 62 last month.
  • Jenloma
    Jenloma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    5'0" and looking for friends to share their food journal with me. 1200 calorie diet is hard!
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Im 5'1 and I started at 170 (yikes!!!) and today I weighed in at 130.6 (yay!) my goal is between 105 and 110, Im 51 so it comes off very slowly when you're my age...I practice Yoga twice a week and go to the gym 2-3 time a week. I eat 1200 calories a day and Im plenty full on that. Occasionally I may splurge and have a bit more if I want a beer or glass of wine. But for the most part this has really become a way of life and Im very happy with it...And yes 5 pounds looks like 15 on us shorties!!! I also carry ALL my weight in my middle, I think thats because of my age, having babies and the dreaded menopause!!!!!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and lost closer to 22 lbs (not updated my profile yet, because I only do that once a week) I want to lose about 80 lbs or be a size 6/8 whatever comes first.

Also, I eat around 1600 calories a day. I tried 1300, and not only was I miserable, I wasn't losing.
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    5'3 here and down 42 pounds :)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 34 years old and have lost 76lbs. in a year. I now have a healthy BMI and am one pound below my goal weight, but I'm hoping to lose another 5-15 lbs (I haven't decided how much yet and am taking it 5lbs. at a time). It's taken a while, but consistency has been the key.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yep! 5'1", need to drop [at least 20, preferably 30] pounds. Working on being ok with going at it the slow and steady way...
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Im 5 foot 2 and started off at 155lbs Im down to 131.8 after about a week, the goal I have set up on MFP is 135 but my ultimate is 125. Losing weight when we're so short is hard but I think even little differences show a lot more when we're this height.

24 lbs lost in week? did I read that right?!?1
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11"...5" if i walk head held real high and back ram rod straight!:-) Hovering between 97 and 98 lbs. Now before any one says 'TOO LOW" please understand that the way I carry my weight I look best around 95lbs. Joined MFP 3 months on suggestion of my nutritionist. Since then I have been loosing maybe .2lbs / week. Target is to eat at least 1450 cals/day and go up to 1500 to 1600 calories eventually. However, for that is a big mental block. I was eating soooo low for sooo long:-(
  • kenh14
    kenh14 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm 5'2" & started trying to lose weight once school led out in mid May. Started out at around 129lbs ended up at 115lbs after one round Insanity. Started a 2nd round this week, hoping to get down to 105lbs eventually.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1.5" and have a lot to lose.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and have lost 80 lbs.
  • jodiecconlan
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and lost 150lbs, but gained 50lbs back.
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    5'3... Went from 149 to 137 and 39-34-38 to 35-27-34 in 120 days... Still have 4 lbs to go... :-)
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and losing weight. It's a lot of weight that I've carried around for many, many years. While I'm not 5'3" under, it's still a struggle.