Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ridiculous the amount of guys on such low cals :noway:

I'm averageing about 3300-3500 at the moment and aiming to gain 1lb per week. (currently 181lbs)

i'm guessing my inability to eat 1200 cals came from when i was growing up. when i was a kid we didnt have alot of food in the house all the time so some days we just didnt eat because there was nothing to eat. i was very thin as a kid because of that and now that i'm an adult on my own, my body grew accustomed to it. i dont know if the stomach actually shrinks or not, but i get full off a meal and i wont be hungry again for maybe 5-7+ hours later.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    1370 here & on some days I struggle to eat that much, then I still have to eat my exercise cals? Forget it.
  • telders50
    telders50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that I need to eat 1600 to 1700 calories a day. I work out 6 days a week, three days strength training and three days of cardio. Sometimes I find it hard to eat that many calories because of the stigma, eat less to lose weight. I am gaining weight, but ii is muscle. My clothes are fitting better so I know I am toning and losing inches, to me that is better than the weight loss.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    1400-1700 depending on my workout.
  • amandaxh
    amandaxh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was eating around 1350 and I was pretty miserable. I always ended up hungry and always seems to JUST make my mark if I burned 300 cals or so and ate them back (so net of 1350, but eating around 1600 about half of the week).

Because it was so difficult for me and I was often still hungry, I would overeat junk food once or twice per week and then my deficits would be messed up for weigh in.

Now I have my net cals set for 1600 and if I workout (maybe burn 200-400 a day) I usually eat between 1600 and 2000 a day and I feel so much better and I feel way less likely to burn since I don't feel like I am failing all the time by not being able to eat but still being hungry (and then going over).
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    5' 7" .. 150

I average about 2800 a day to maintain, but I run 5 days a week normally 30-40 miles and I do strength training the other 2 days. When I was losing I was hitting about 2200-2400 a day.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    1200 is impossible for me. my goal is set at 1330, but i usually exercise off at least 500, so i eat 1800-1900 on a good day, and fridays and saturdays i struggle to stay under 2500 :-/

losing... slowly but surely
  • ThatGrl32
    Options
    I think its pretty easy to eat ~1200 calories a day as long as you're not eating junk food. I usually eat between 1000 and 1300 a day and I'm not hungry at all nor do I feel deprived. My diary is open if anyone wants to look.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Per my friend who is a biochemist, and whom I trust and has helped me lose 43# to-date:
    TO LOSE weight, a person should be eating their weight +0, so I'm at 170 now so I eat 170+0 = 1,700 cals a day to LOSE.. I also eat back at least 60% of my exercise calories.. now this doesn't happen all the time but I always eat at least 1700 a day. I lose 1-2 pounds a week. I'm a happy person at this number and I like the person I'm becoming =)

I am genuinely interested in this stat.

Has anybody else (besides the person who posted that posting) tried this and been 100% honest with themselves regarding logging their correct amount of calories? If so, how did you get on?

I am at maintenance now but that method in the quoted box above really does intrigue me and if it works, it would certainly be immensely helpful to many people and would cut out all the maths and worrying about TDEE and BMR......

If this were true then I would have to eat 1090 calories a day. And even less as I lose weight. It doesn't seem fool proof. What about those of us who are under 110lbs or even at 100lbs? I'm only 4'10, so this is definitely not too low for me.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    ridiculous the amount of guys on such low cals :noway:

I'm averageing about 3300-3500 at the moment and aiming to gain 1lb per week. (currently 181lbs)
    Exactly, you are wishing to gain - your situation is completely and utterly different to anybody wishing to lose.

I, too, would gain on 3300-3500 per day as would many, many others on MFP - hence why they are here in the first place.

I was on 1200 calories per day for six and a half months until I got to my goal. What is important is WHAT you eat when on 1200 - quality of food rather than quantity.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    if I had to live on 1200 calories a day Id be dead or someoneelse would I feel its ridiculously low Im at about 155-1600 thats managable in fact its fine I dont believe in being hungry.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800-2200 cals.. (netting 1500-1700)... I have no idea how people can eat less, as I'm always hungry!! :)

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness ("LIKE" to get motivated!!)
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 so my "normal" range is actually pretty low. I'm not yet in the normal range of BMI and already my BMR is at 1240. So. Yeah, I'm on 1200 kcal/day. Which doesn't mean that I eat that every day, but I do try to average it out to about 1200/day.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    1200 - 1400 for me and I get plently to eat, it would be a challenge at 1700+ unless I was eating much higher cal content foods I guess. I need to be around 1400 but right now I struggle to get that much, but I still need to loose 40 lbs so I go up and down one day 1100 one day 1400, etc... zig zag. On occasion even to 1500 just really depends...
  • PennyRLane
    PennyRLane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I stay at around 1250 - 1350 a day depending on my need and my workout. I splurge of course but I try to stick to 1250 daily. I don't feel like I crave anything and some people say I don't eat enough or that I am starving my body but even my doctor says I am fine and that I am supplying my body fully. I eat tons of protein and fruits and veggies so, it all depends on the person. Plus I could eat a whole days worth of food and only eat 1250 calories OR I could sit down and eat a meal out that is worth like 3000 calories so it all depends on the person and their daily routine.
  • SandysNewLife
    SandysNewLife Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1520 a day here.
  • hannip
    hannip Posts: 1
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 calories with exercise so it is slightly more than that. If I go any higher I don't lose weight. I wish I could go higher, but with a sit down job it's difficult to get enough exercise in to compensate.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I started off eating at around 800 - 900 calories a day when I first started my diet. I wasn't aware I was eating so little plus I would jog 30-40mins three times a week on top of that! I wasn't in a healthy state of mind but I lost the weight quickly but was unhappy.

Since finding MFP, I've learned a lot more and now eating at around 1200 - 1400 a day as long as its all non process, healthy and adding lots of exercise! I'm starting to lose it again and in a better state than I was before.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    2100 here, I was on 1400 - 1800 and lost next to nothing. Now I drop 2lbs a week give or take a little.
  • gobifree59
    gobifree59 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I calculated my BMR and it was 1440 cal. That's how many I need to just exist. I strength train 2X/week and do cardio activities 5X/week. I am 58 and will lose weight on that amount of calories at about 1-1 1/2 lbs./week. Some days I'm really hungry and up my intake to 1500. I think you need to see what works for you---what amount can you take in and still lose weight, yet not be so consumed with eating because you are so hungry. Mental health and mood stability are important when losing weight too!