I think I need to be told I am fat

Options

Replies

• dlmaye
    dlmaye Posts: 1
    Options
    What size do you wear? Maybe you need to focus on a size and not how much it says on the scale. So if you wear a size 10, imagine how much better you would feel in a size 4 or a 2.
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think you look cute and are TOTALLY rocking those jeans :tongue:

I know exactly how you feel, though! HATE seeing pictures of myself after I thought I looked good! If you are disappointed, then let this picture be a motivator for you. While it seems everyone on MFP think you look hawt, what YOU think matters. But, your self-confidence in this picture is beautiful :flowerforyou:
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think you look awesome! I want that top!

I'm 5'2" and you look way taller than me!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You do not look morbidly obese! You are a beautiful woman. I have no doubt if you stick with it that you'll reach your goals.

FYI - I have that issue sometimes too. I will be feeling hot and amazing after I get all dolled up and then see a picture of myself and go "WTF?!?!?" lol....
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    if i look that good at 190, i'll celebrate! ;o)

seriously, though, BMI is not the end-all, be-all. if you are muscular or large-framed, it's useless. don't use that to gauge your progress.

if you aren't happy with your weight, work on losing it slowly while maintaining muscle, or alternate between gaining muscle and losing fat until you're at a body fat % that makes you happy.

if your motivation is slipping, don't ask for people to tell you you're fat so you can please them; choose a goal and please yourself.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    No one needs to be told they are fat!!

The question I would ask is "Are you living a healthy lifestyle?"

Do you eat well?
    Do you exercise regularly?
    Are you happy?
    Are you enjoying life?
  • nikitanorris
    Options
    Don't be silly! You in no way look morbidly obese.

Different people carry weight in different places and you're lucky enough to have a beautiful, feminine figure! :)
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I'm 4' 11" weighing in at 138 lbs, and according to the bmi calculator I'm literally decimal points off from officially being considered obese. I know I'm not slim and that I have bulges which need to go, but I always thought there was at least a stone or two's difference between my shape at this moment and obesity in the future. As most people have expressed, you yourself don't look obese... and I swear to god I don't either, though I know very well that I'm overweight... I wonder if the calculator is less accurate for those of us who are slightly shorter than average. I also think that a lot of my fat get focused in certain areas, such as my legs and hips so my upper body is a whole size slimmer than my lower body, therefore I don't really 'appear' obese.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    you defo don't look obese!
    you're just curvy :)
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't know anything about you or your lifestyle (food/exercise) but from purely that picture, morbidly obese, no. Obese no. A little overweight, yes. Again, this is not knowing what your body composition is and you're pretty fully clothed. I definitely wouldn't have guess you're 190. And from the loks of it you carry your weight well, pretty evenly all around. I would suggest you do what you need to do until you feel comfortable in your clothes and like what you see in pics.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm going to cut to the chase here. You are not morbidly obese but you do look overweight. I'm going to catch crap for this (maybe) but at your height, 190 is not healthy.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider; when was the BMI scale generated? In the sixtys? People these days are much heavier. What may have been morbidly obese back then is just obese now.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You LOOK GREAT!!!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was fitting in to smaller clothes, giving my big ones to good will, having small measurments and then I took my July progress pictures and thought oh my gosh I havent changed a bit. I was so discouraged that I still look like that. My friends tell me different but are they just being nice?
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It makes me so made to hear that anyone would say "your fat". I am losing weight to be healthy, screw what others think.
    If a person *is* fat, what exactly does it help for others to sugarcoat and pretend she's not fat. The way she holds her weight doesn't show the fat, and she's still an attractive well-proportioned person, but at 190lbs on a 5'3" frame, even if she were heavily muscled underneath, that's a lot of extra fat - and given how she looks, there's probably a lot of it in and around the internal organs, which is the truly deadly type. She said that she needs some external reminding that she would be healthier at a lower weight, and people are providing that so she can work on the motivation she needs to be healthier.

No-one considers it mean to agree with someone complaining about their crazy hair. Most people are happy to receive a recommendation for a tactic or hair product that might help!
    The only reason it's considered 'mean' to state the fact that a person is fat is that people have way too much self-worth tied up in their weight.

I like myself well enough. But that doesn't mean I need to believe I am perfect. Despite being a generally decent person, I am fat. I need to lose fat to be healthier and more able to do the sorts of things I would like to do. I also need to gain some muscle to accomplish that. And yes, I would also like to appear more attractive to my husband. I also have completely untame-able hair. I also have to work on being nicer to people when I am frustrated. Self-improvement is good, and being aware of and working on my faults (including excess fat) does not interfere with my self-respect. Not should it anyone else's.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider; when was the BMI scale generated? In the sixtys? People these days are much heavier. What may have been morbidly obese back then is just obese now.
    Yes, but people these days are fat, unhealthy, and for the first time, may actually end up with a life expectancy lower than their parents'. The fact that millions of people are now morbidly obese does not make it any less true or any less unhealthy.

As I stated above, the fact that the 'average' person is now solidly overweight is really skewing our perceptions of what normal is. The healthy human body hasn't changed since the sixties, even if the average one has.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    I think this is just proof that BMI is not a reliable measure in many cases, because you are clearly not obese.

I do feel the same way though, I feel fine until I see a picture, or sometimes a mirror that isn't my own, if that makes sense. I look in the mirror in the bedroom and look fine, but then when I get somewhere else and see a mirror I can look at myself I look that awful and fat.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Many days I feel like I look great! But then I see pictures of myself and wonder what the heck I could have possibly been thinking. I'm 5'1" and 171.2lbs. I feel like the only way I'll stay motivated is if someone tells me I'm fat.

I must say, you carry your weight better than I do. You don't look morbidly obese at all! Sure, there's room for improvement, but isn't there always?

I want to lose about 40lbs total. My goal is by Christmas but I don't really care how long it takes me, just that I reach my goal weight.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    Perhaps what is a healthy body hasn't changed, but our knowledge of what makes a healthy body will have, just like all other medical knowledge. For instance, those who carry more weight around their middle have a greater risk factor for heart disease, they could have the exact same bmi as a pear shaped girl, but they are less healthy, and through no fault of their own. They have a similar diet to the pear shaped girl next to them, and a similar work out routine, but they are less healthy because of their body type.

Plus, women in the sixties didn't work out like many women today, so their lean body mass was less, also accounting partially for higher body weights.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!