Ripped in 30 - Month of August - Who is with me?

Options

Replies

• Cajunmalakai
    Cajunmalakai Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper is really great. He has several DVDs including a kettlebell series.

Before I started Tapout XT I was doing Bob's Inside Out Method. Its a four DVD set ( only about ten bucks a pop brand new..or at least they were when I bought them)

It includes strength training, cardio conditioning, yoga and one of Bob's own personal workouts. I saw more change in my body with those workouts than anything I had tried previously.

ANYway, As for the workouts your all on board for, despite a high number of reps, 3-5 lbs is simply not enough weight to build significant muscle, and it's light enough that your body will adapt pretty quickly. Basically, the high number of reps are supposed to balance out the relatively light weight used for the workouts.

Again, I'm not super familiar with Jillian, but alot of workouts of that type share a similar training strategy. To burn maximum calories during the course of the session. This is great, but progression can become something of a sticking point with very light weight, as you probably will have trouble putting on muscle mass.

Remember, the key to improving your fitness is to work out of your comfort zone. The point it to get tired and make your muscles burn and you might be surprised just what your body is capable of. A good tactic is to pick the heavier of your weight(in this case 5 .lbs) and do the entire workout with that weight, instead of switching back and forth. You might lose some reps on your weaker exercises, but the strength gain will make up for and soon you will close the gap.

...I think I got off topic there...
  • dragonflyjen
    dragonflyjen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey there, glad to see a few more joining. :) I have added everyone as a friend.

I did Day 1 today and I must say it was easier than expected. I gave it my all but felt like I wanted the repetitions to go on a bit longer. The cardio I really pushed myself, but again I felt like I could have gone on longer. The 30 Day Shred has obviously really prepared me for this. Still enjoyed it though.

Are any of you planning on posting your stats to see your body changes as the month goes on? (I posted mine last night) I will be updating my stats every Wednesday.

I took pic's today...not pretty lol...great when your mum takes the photos and says to you, "You're really not going to like these Jen." Thanks Mum...I know I'm not, which is why I'm doing something about it!! :) Well I'm 160lbs now and really wish I had taken an underwear pic when I was 205lbs...I really wouldn't have liked those photos but would be great to compare. :)

Oh I have also set up a fb group if anyone wants to join - each month I will be changing the exercise goals to keep things interesting and hopefully prevent plateau's - everyone is welcome. https://www.facebook.com/groups/monthlymission/
  • dragonflyjen
    Options

Before I started Tapout XT I was doing Bob's Inside Out Method. Its a four DVD set ( only about ten bucks a pop brand new..or at least they were when I bought them)

It includes strength training, cardio conditioning, yoga and one of Bob's own personal workouts. I saw more change in my body with those workouts than anything I had tried previously.

ANYway, As for the workouts your all on board for, despite a high number of reps, 3-5 lbs is simply not enough weight to build significant muscle, and it's light enough that your body will adapt pretty quickly. Basically, the high number of reps are supposed to balance out the relatively light weight used for the workouts.

Again, I'm not super familiar with Jillian, but alot of workouts of that type share a similar training strategy. To burn maximum calories during the course of the session. This is great, but progression can become something of a sticking point with very light weight, as you probably will have trouble putting on muscle mass.

Remember, the key to improving your fitness is to work out of your comfort zone. The point it to get tired and make your muscles burn and you might be surprised just what your body is capable of. A good tactic is to pick the heavier of your weight(in this case 5 .lbs) and do the entire workout with that weight, instead of switching back and forth. You might lose some reps on your weaker exercises, but the strength gain will make up for and soon you will close the gap.

Defo not off topic as I think it will really help those reading this thread. I was definitely not in my comfort zone this past month which is why I'm surprised I didn't seen changes, but I think I'm getting to the comfortable stage and need to progress. I have been working out holding the 3lb weights constantly, so I will be purchasing heavier ones this week and hope that helps. I used to be really fit and after a knee injury stopped exercising completely (stupid I know), so sounds like Bob's strength training and yoga might be good for me. Thanks for the info. :)
  • mollyandmumu
    mollyandmumu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hey! so cool to see everyone joining in :)

i didn't day day 3 today (level 1). got up late...so i will count today as my rest day.

my day 1 was pretty brutal too - cold only do 2 mins then had to stop i really thought i was going to throw up...managed day 2 ok tho altho i can't finish the push ups or the running man...i use two pound weights. to think i used to at one point in my life go to the gym for 4 am - things def change as u get older and start a family...

be strong for tomorrow!!! we will do this!
  • Cajunmalakai
    Options

Defo not off topic as I think it will really help those reading this thread. I was definitely not in my comfort zone this past month which is why I'm surprised I didn't seen changes, but I think I'm getting to the comfortable stage and need to progress. I have been working out holding the 3lb weights constantly, so I will be purchasing heavier ones this week and hope that helps. I used to be really fit and after a knee injury stopped exercising completely (stupid I know), so sounds like Bob's strength training and yoga might be good for me. Thanks for the info. :)

The fact that you used to be fit can actually make a big difference in your progression. It's something akin to muscle memory. Your body remembers when it was fit and strong, and despite what I imagine was a lengthy hiatus, that information is still logged away in your muscles. What that means is, your body might progress more quickly as it tries to get back to it's optimum condition, and can probably handle more than you realize.

Your body WANTS you to be fit again, and will help you get back there if your not to cautious to let it. Try training just a little bit heavier than what you thnik you can handle. Are you at about 5 .lbs? Try pushing yourself with 7 or 8 lbs. Etc.
  • tree5981
    tree5981 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey there, glad to see a few more joining. :) I have added everyone as a friend.

I did Day 1 today and I must say it was easier than expected. I gave it my all but felt like I wanted the repetitions to go on a bit longer. The cardio I really pushed myself, but again I felt like I could have gone on longer. The 30 Day Shred has obviously really prepared me for this. Still enjoyed it though.

Are any of you planning on posting your stats to see your body changes as the month goes on? (I posted mine last night) I will be updating my stats every Wednesday.

I took pic's today...not pretty lol...great when your mum takes the photos and says to you, "You're really not going to like these Jen." Thanks Mum...I know I'm not, which is why I'm doing something about it!! :) Well I'm 160lbs now and really wish I had taken an underwear pic when I was 205lbs...I really wouldn't have liked those photos but would be great to compare. :)

Oh I have also set up a fb group if anyone wants to join - each month I will be changing the exercise goals to keep things interesting and hopefully prevent plateau's - everyone is welcome. https://www.facebook.com/groups/monthlymission/

I can't find that group on facebook :( I tried the link and it didn't work for me
  • HeatherLaShae4
    HeatherLaShae4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    started ripped in 30 on monday.. today was day 3.. and i have to say, it gets easier and easier everyday!!! although i am sore, i feel great!! im super determined and dedicated to this program!! and i totally kicked jillian michaels *kitten* today! haha ..even done some of the advanced versions...!
  • dragonflyjen
    Options

I can't find that group on facebook :( I tried the link and it didn't work for me

Oh I had made is secret so we could discuss in private but it was so secret that noone could find it! haha

No wonder noone had joined it!

It is now open but unless you are a member noone can see the posts - https://www.facebook.com/groups/monthlymission/
  • dragonflyjen
    Options
    hey! so cool to see everyone joining in :)

i didn't day day 3 today (level 1). got up late...so i will count today as my rest day.

my day 1 was pretty brutal too - cold only do 2 mins then had to stop i really thought i was going to throw up...managed day 2 ok tho altho i can't finish the push ups or the running man...i use two pound weights. to think i used to at one point in my life go to the gym for 4 am - things def change as u get older and start a family...

be strong for tomorrow!!! we will do this!

Yeah the running man is tough going, but it's easier knowing that no matter how hard the exercise will change soon, that's what gets me really pushing myself. If you can't do the easier version of the push ups, don't stop, go right up onto your knees and keep going, your strength will still build up til you can do the next level.

We will defo do this...think where we will be by the end of the month...and the end of the year!! :)

The fact that you used to be fit can actually make a big difference in your progression. It's something akin to muscle memory. Your body remembers when it was fit and strong, and despite what I imagine was a lengthy hiatus, that information is still logged away in your muscles. What that means is, your body might progress more quickly as it tries to get back to it's optimum condition, and can probably handle more than you realize.

Your body WANTS you to be fit again, and will help you get back there if your not to cautious to let it. Try training just a little bit heavier than what you thnik you can handle. Are you at about 5 .lbs? Try pushing yourself with 7 or 8 lbs. Etc.

It wasn't too long ago since I was really fit, about 2 years, but long enough and I've promised myself I ain't ever going back to being unfit again. I've only been using 3lb weights which are okay for some exercises but not all. But this dvd definitely requires heavier weights, found some of the exercises far too easy. I'll take your advice and push myself. Will only get out what I put in!

started ripped in 30 on monday.. today was day 3.. and i have to say, it gets easier and easier everyday!!! although i am sore, i feel great!! im super determined and dedicated to this program!! and i totally kicked jillian michaels *kitten* today! haha ..even done some of the advanced versions...!

Funny how that sore feeling is a good sore, proving you've worked hard! I kicked her *kitten* today too and did most advanced versions...go us! :)
  • Cajunmalakai
    Options
    A second note about light weights: You can still get the burn with very light weights, but that focus is much more about endurance. so going heavier is what you need to put on the muscle that that really shows as well as being functional along with burning off the gristle.
  • TanyaE8
    TanyaE8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I have been doing a lot of reearch looking for a new attack. I came accross JM Ripped in 30 and just kept seeing inspiring results, not miracles but noticeable progress. Just last week I ordered Ripped in 30 and it should be here by the 7th so I will begin that Weds. morning after. I hope to work with you guys to use one another for encouragement and looking for some friends to hold me accountable to my workouts lol.

My 2nd and last child is now 9 months so it's time to be me again :) Good luck ladies/gentleman!
  • dragonflyjen
    Options
    Hey everyone! Sorry I'm so late in updating my progress, I've been really busy today helping my sis pack up her things to move to London. Had to get 2 buses over there early this morn, so was proud of myself that I didn't use it as an excuse to cop out (ain't doing that no more!), so I got up earlier to exercise. I did Day 2 of Ripped but didn't feel the burn enough, so I then did part of an intense cardio dvd of Tracy Mallett's - 2 x 6 min sessions. Felt like I'd worked hard enough after that.

Welcome aboard Tanya! That's what we want...noticeable differences through small changes to our daily lives. Join us when you get the dvd, or feel free to keep us updated if you are doing any other pre-ripped exercise to get you ready. :) Love motivating and encouraging posts, and you can keep me accountable too so I'll add you as a friend! My other friends are Rippers from this thread too so I'm sure they wont mind you adding them.

How are the rest of you getting on? All's gone a bit quiet. Remember I have a new fb page with new challenges monthly to keep things fresh. https://www.facebook.com/groups/monthlymission/ which we can chat privately on a closed page.

Well it's 2.30am and I'm off to bed...goodnite and hope to hear from more of you tomorrow.

Jen :)
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just started this, alternating it with running but feel free to add me x
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I"ll be on day 4 today!
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm using 5s and 10s but lift some pretty heavy weights three times a week.

Jillian's definitely been kicking my butt from a cardio perspective - damn you running man - and i'm spent at the end of a workout but I haven't any muscle soreness as a result the next day.
  • dragonflyjen
    Options
    Curious...

Ripped in 30? Like abs you mean ? Is that possible ? What system/program does that ?

It's a Jillian Michael's dvd. I don't believe it's possible to get ripped in 30 - it obviously depends how much fat you have over the muscles! But I'd say the dvd definitely helps in part of the progression to get there.

I'm using 5s and 10s but lift some pretty heavy weights three times a week.

Jillian's definitely been kicking my butt from a cardio perspective - damn you running man - and i'm spent at the end of a workout but I haven't any muscle soreness as a result the next day.

Ooh couldn't imagine using 10lb weights, wonder how long it will take til I get there. I'm hardly sore when I work out now (although I am a little today), but I usually feel that if there is no pain the next morn that I didn't work hard enough, is that just a misconception?
  • Kimbersmith100
    Options
    Day 5 done!! Whew what a difference a week makes!!
  • dragonflyjen
    Options
    Day 5 done!! Whew what a difference a week makes!!

Well done! Day 3 for me and I actually felt great whilst doing it even though my head was bursting beforehand. Love how these dvd's get your fitness levels up so quick! Such a good feeling. :)
  • sydneytomunich
    sydneytomunich Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started today! Finished 30SD on Wednesday and had a short break. So far I liked Week 1's workout.
  • speedisoverrated
    Options
    I've started this as of the morning, off the back of 24lbs of weight loss through eating less and doing the c25k.

So, on to Ripped in 30. I'm maybe one of the few males to use Jillian's DVDs, I just mute the TV to avoid the references to 'strappy dresses'.

Is the deal here to post before pictures? If so (be nice)...http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5567/dsc02272um.jpg

So yes, a lot of toning to do, and some body fat to lose. 6 days a week, so I guess I'll hope to show you an improvement in early September.