You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.
    Could any of you tell me why you think you cannot spot reduce? I have even had a trainer tell me "you can't spot reduce" is a myth.

Because exercising a tricep for example, does not encourage the body to burn fat from around the tricep area......that isn't how the body works.
    Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

Increasing muscle mass in a specific area is not the same as reuducing fat from a specific area, these are 2 completely difference things.

If i make my tricep twice as big, yes this is a bigger ratio of muscle/fat around that tricep -that is not the same a spot reducing.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer.

It's easy to think that a trainer is all-knowledgable about physiology, exercise and nutrition because when you start out into that area yourself they seem to know a lot more than you do. But as with any profession there is a huge range of ability and knowledge and experience. My opinion is that there are very few who are passionate and truly study this constantly advancing set of sciences and apply that learning and try to move it forward. There are many, many who have a minor foundation certificate in safe exercise form etc and do their 9-5 or whatever and actually don't know very much beyond that. That's how every field is.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Of course you can spot reduce. It's called liposuction.

If only.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

We think the way we think because we have science on our side.

The exercises you are claiming spot reduce are exercises that strengthen muscles... you can do them until you turn green... but unless you lose fat over top of those muscles you aren't going to look any smaller. When you lose body fat.. you lose it from all over... hence... no spot reduction. If might LOOK like you are getting smaller in other places faster than others... but that is most likely because there was less fat in those areas to begin with
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Could any of you tell me why you think you cannot spot reduce? I have even had a trainer tell me "you can't spot reduce" is a myth.

Because exercising a tricep for example, does not encourage the body to burn fat from around the tricep area......that isn't how the body works.
    Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

Increasing muscle mass in a specific area is not the same as reuducing fat from a specific area, these are 2 completely difference things.

If i make my tricep twice as big, yes this is a bigger ratio of muscle/fat around that tricep -that is not the same a spot reducing.

This is why I said that people are getting caught up in semantics, trying to be "correct" instead of recognizing what she is saying and realizing that she is just using the wrong terminology because the phrase "spot reduction" is so ingrained in our brains.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Also- the 30D shred is a lot of cardio so that is why you burn fat. It also tones the body by incorporating strength but there is a reason that she tells you not to take breaks during the workout. It's to keep your HR up so you burn fat.

When I talked to a trainer about why I couldn't get the results I wanted, though I had been running for years, he told me I could spot reduce with certain exercises and that it was not a matter of me not getting enough cardio.
    Lol, your trainer is spoon feeding you snake oil. And you bought it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I do not think the trainer was trying to sell me something. Came free with my gym membership. I suppose many trainers have different opinions though. I must say, I saw big changes in my trouble "spots" after doing what he recommended.
    That one free training session for joining the gym is trying to sell you more training sessions.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

Ok.....please go back and READ what you are actually writing. You are, in fact, saying that if you work out certain muscles, they GROW. That's true.
    It's also true that GROWING is not REDUCING.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    *Puts on seatbelt*

:laugh:
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    PancakeRabbit.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    THIS.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

HIGH 5 TO SURGERY!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer.

It's easy to think that a trainer is all-knowledgable about physiology, exercise and nutrition because when you start out into that area yourself they seem to know a lot more than you do. But as with any profession there is a huge range of ability and knowledge and experience. My opinion is that there are very few who are passionate and truly study this constantly advancing set of sciences and apply that learning and try to move it forward. There are many, many who have a minor foundation certificate in safe exercise form etc and do their 9-5 or whatever and actually don't know very much beyond that. That's how every field is.

I completely agree. I was just trying to share my experience that certain work out regimens really can help people work on their "spots". I ran for years and and lifted for years and still had stomach trouble spots until l I learned very specific ab moves. Those moves really helped my stomach.... a part of my body that never let fat go before!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is getting caught up in semantics, missing the truth of the what the OP is saying. She is actually referring to building muscles.

please.. .please explain to me how building something and reducing something are synonymous
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also- the 30D shred is a lot of cardio so that is why you burn fat. It also tones the body by incorporating strength but there is a reason that she tells you not to take breaks during the workout. It's to keep your HR up so you burn fat.

When I talked to a trainer about why I couldn't get the results I wanted, though I had been running for years, he told me I could spot reduce with certain exercises and that it was not a matter of me not getting enough cardio.

Well, I guess then we have to bow to your trainer's knowledge acquired during their 4 hour online certification program.
    And that 4 hours includes the 2 hours it takes to take the test.:laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Technical reason from a trainer's perspective:

It is important to realize that strict isolation is an anatomical impossibility since one muscle group cannot function on its own. With this in mind, there are always at least two muscle groups involved in every movement. All muscle tissue fibers run the entire length of the muscle group, from its origin (closest to the midline) to its insertion (farthest from the midline), and receive growth stimulation uniformly throughout their entire length. With this in mind, it is physiologically impossible to shape a muscle. Muscle tissue structure and shape are strictly genetic.

The arm isn't a muscle. When people talk about spot reduction in the arm, they may say I want bigger triceps so I'm just going to work that muscle. It's impossible b/c you are going to work the bicep as well. Furthermore if you are standing you are also going to work core muscles as well as lats and chest muscles just to do a tricep curl.
  • frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

I think people who say you can't spot reduce are giving helpful information, as the belief that doing crunches will give you a flat stomach can lead some people to do only crunches and miss out on the benefit of exercises that do a better job of burning fat.

That said, if your intention in this thread is to encourage people with the idea that they may benefit by adding certain targetted toning exercises to their routine, I fully agree. Just be careful the message doesn't get lost because you phrase it as if you can debunk years of scientific data.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Also, you don't have to eat clean to burn fat.

Third, I guess I missed the memo about Delicate Snowflake Friday.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif

hahahahhahaha
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.