Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• PearonaPair
    Options
    Welcome... we're happy to have you here
  • snerky
    snerky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First off, keep up the good work. I am not the dietitian you are looking for. i am just a fellow super human who works hard, eats less and exercises more. I have been doing mfp for two weeks and todays weigh-in I regained the 2 pounds I had lost even though I was doing the right things. I know in my heart that if I can power through, continue and sooner or later fitness will catch up with me. Right now my body aches, and I am trying to eat sensibly. I am 167, 5'3, and 52 years old. I hope you can keep up the due diligence and continue on the amazing path you have already started.
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ok- what in the heck does Bump mean?
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    Hey Toe nee! ( said with a deep italian accent) Glad to see yous hee a. Nathin personal i am sure, juz business. Yeah, Right? LOL Thanks for being here and for helping out. i am sure you will be asked many questions.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bump for later ;)
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump..
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Hiya Tony. I was curious what your thoughts were on intermittent fasting as well. Particularly in an Eat Stop Eat pattern, 3 days a week...or alternatively in a leangains type pattern, of 16hrs fasted, and 8hrs fed.

Thanks!

According to my research on the topic, it think its micromanaging. A simple calorie deficit will do the job. However, if it is your preference and helps you with long term dietary compliance, go for it!
  • libraryldy
    libraryldy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did check with the Mayo Clinic on Water aerobics and MFP has it right on. The Mayo Clinic says an hour of Water Aerobics will burn anywhere from 400 to 600 calories depending on your weight range. Actually MFP has underestimated that at 379 calories for an hour. I feel comfortable with that number. Here is the Website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hi there... First off, some background... I'm 32 years old, 5' 6.5", weigh 149.4lbs. and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 10 (it runs heavily in my family). I've been on an insulin pump for many years and have recently added a continuous glucose monitor. My blood sugar is in great control - my last A1C was 6.3 and now that I have my CGM, I'm certain it's dropped even further.

Anyway, I gained 18 pounds after getting married in July 2010 and have been fighting the last 320 days to lose that 18 pounds. I'm trying to get to 140lbs. as my goal, or, as an "ultimate" goal weight, 135lbs. I've lost 8 so far and seem to be stuck. I weigh in and take measurements once per month, the Saturday after my TOM. This month I lost 0.6 pounds. I am frustrated to no end. You can see from my diary that the last month, though I might have a few days over calories, my overall week comes in under my goal of 1300. I work out virtually every day, at least an hour, if not two. I use the upright bike virtually every day and supplement with weight lifting and Zumba 3-4 days/week. I use my Polar FT7 to track my calorie burn in the hope that I'm tracking as accurately as possible.

I'm wondering, is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to lose a couple pounds per month instead of 0.6? Do I need to change my food? Exercise? Any insight would be VERY appreciated. Thanks!
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    Exactly what did you have to do to become a "registered dietitian?"
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ok- what in the heck does Bump mean?
    "bring up my post"
    people use it to save it for reading later (under "my topics") or just because they want more people to see it and respond to it.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Also, given previously when I worked hard at weight loss, i was eating mostly lean protein and veggies.
    I'm not this time... I wonder if its affecting my success.
    Kinda floundering on that question too.

Thanks for your offer to respond to our questions!!!

Brenda

Protein is the most satiating of the macronutrients and does a lot to preserve LBM which could be part of your answer.
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I was just wondering if you had any tips for burning thigh fat. I am 4'11 & weigh 129 pounds currently. All of my fat goes to my thighs instead of belly & it is really hard for me to fit in shorts or jeans. Any exercises or foods to help?

Thanks,
    Lyndsay

There is no such thing as spot reducing, in this case, your thighs.
    Please don't waste any worries on this anymore, hun', your body will take fat away from anywhere it wants, no specific food or exercise routine will make your thighs slimmer, just general exercise and eating a minimum of 1200 will help you lose fat over-all.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

Well Torry I was wondering if you could tell me some simple workouts that I can do at home with no professional equipment that will help me lose fat from my thighs and calfs. I'm kinda desperate. Because I seem to be losing fat from my stomach quite well but I don't see much diference in my leg area.

And this applies to anyone else who could help me, I would so much appreciate it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hiya, welcome and thanks for the offer!
    Is it okay to fast one day a week? I read about many benefits but worry my metabolism will crash and ruin the whole rest of my week.
    I have seen some obese and overweight people put on 800 calorie a day diets and lose loads of weight without a slow on their metabolism!
    I am currently overweight by a good 30lbs and wonder if I can do any of those things?
    Thanks again!

Nothing wrong with a 1 day fast from food, but I see no benefit of doing it other than if it's your personal preference.

So you see no benifits from fasting? How about growth hormone production, insulin regulation, and other fat loss promoting hormonal response? I've read all of these are benefits...just want to get the straight scoop.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SuperCindy185
    SuperCindy185 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony -

I'm trying to add more protein into my diet but I despise beans except for Black beans and I need to watch sodium due to a congenital heart defect. So, beef jerky and cheese are often out unless I can find a lower sodium option.

What are you suggestions for adding protein while paying attention to sodium intake? I know protein powders and shakes but I"M having trouble finding one I like.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Much appreciate the offer to help some of us wandering through improving our health!

Cindy
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

I have been losing very slow 30 pounds over the last year. I don't eat wheat as I'm allergic and I stay away for wheat replacements as they are high in calories. I'm also trying to get sugar out of my diet. However, I notice on the days I don't eat sugar my carbs are low about 100 to 120 grams. But I also notice, I lose the most when I have sugar kicked out. Will this low carb hurt me? I still eat plenty of fruits and veggies.

And thank you for the offer, I really appreciate it.