Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see a registered dietitian on here.

How about we ask more appropriate questions.

What are your views on insulin sensitivity, and reduction of carbohydrate in the diet?
    Keto? Paleo? Slow carb?

What are your views on intermittent fasting and it's many health benefits?

How do you feel about the studies that recommend low carb to help control hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that are key to control appetite?

I've been studying to becomes a dietitian so I can practice dietetics, and I can tell you that what is healthy, and what dietitians are told are two very different things.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The answers are interesting....bumping to read future responses
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony and Thank you for doing this for us. I showed my food log ( diary) from MFP to someone from the gym and i know that i am always under on my 1200 calories for the day. Plus i do a ton of cardio and strength train on the machines and some free weights...anyway, the comment was i have too much sugar and protein in my diet and i need to stop eating all the fruit or i wont lose much weight. I have 30lbs to go.

Except for the calorie deficit i really thought my diet was made of pretty good choices. I would however like to get away from any of the processed food i eat even though its really very little i think. What do you think? My diary is set to open if you can review it.

Thanks so much.
  • ROSASPRP
    ROSASPRP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with you even when I work out I dont eat the extra cal mpf program will give me, I go to Zumba everyday and according to mfp I earn like 900 extra cal a day BUT I just stick to the 1,500 MFP originally said I was suppose to have...something does not feel right about eating the extra 900 a day that buts me at over 2,000 cal I dont think I can drop pounds eating so much....I could be wrong :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just read this post written by Banks, who was affiliated with MFP (maybe he still is?) on eating your fitness/exercise calories.
    As an example, I ran for 2 hours today. MFP told me I had 2370 calories today. I was hesitant to eat that many. But evidently, I may not be getting the results by not eating all my excercise calories.
    Just seeking a second opinion.
    Thanks.
    Brenda

I find that the calorie recommendations for exercise on here or often overestimated. I would just try to be consistent with your calories. I don't have any of my clients track exercise on this program for that reason.

I'm sorry, but without knowing how much the poster is set to consume per day without exercise and more about her exercise routine, this advice seems, to me, to be pretty much worthless. If she is set to eat 1200 calories a day (for example) and works out with vigorous cardio 3 times a week and lifts heavy 2 times a week are you saying she should just keep eating 1200 calories every day? How do you have your clients calculate intake? If you're going to talk about BMR and TDEE in this thread, I think it would be helpful to post an explanation of these things rather than vague recommendations to keep your calories "consistent."

For instance, here's a thread that helps a person calculate intake in a way different from MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    What is your opinion on the idea of cheat meals/cheat days, for someone who is maintaining their weight, and working out 6 days a week ? Do you think it is preferable to having a small treat on a daily basis, and if so, why ?
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see a registered dietitian on here.

How about we ask more appropriate questions.

What are your views on insulin sensitivity, and reduction of carbohydrate in the diet?
    Keto? Paleo? Slow carb?

What are your views on intermittent fasting and it's many health benefits?

How do you feel about the studies that recommend low carb to help control hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that are key to control appetite?

I've been studying to becomes a dietitian so I can practice dietetics, and I can tell you that what is healthy, and what dietitians are told are two very different things.

Ooooh good questions Id also like to know.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    I sent you a personal message.
    I hope we can be friends.
    :)
  • joanne51971
    Options
    bump bumpy bump!!! :bigsmile:
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can see the responses later!
  • AidaBa
    AidaBa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony...
    Thanks for answering all the questions and I hope you can answer mine as well.
    I have been on a low cal diet for about 6 months now and I have been very successful.
    I have lost 30 lbs since starting my diet but now i have hit a wall. No matter what I do
    I can not lose any more. I would like to lose at least 30 more lbs.
    I have been on 800 calorie diet for a while now and I am used to it. But it's frustrating
    for me now. It seems no matter how much I am dieting I can't lose any more.
    I am on my feet all day, since I am in nursing. I don't exercise much.
    I walk as much as i can and drink a lot of water during the day.
    Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong and how can i kick up my diet.
    Thanks

You're eating too few calories for having an active job.
    Please try one thing, only change what you eat up to 1300 a day for 1 months, see what happens.
    Good luck

Thanks for replying...
    I would love to eat more calories but I am worried about gaining the weight back.
    It's a fight with me and my weight every day. As soon as i eat more I gain few pounds back and
    end up going back to my reg. calories.
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony...
    I have been on a low cal diet for about 6 months now and I have been very successful.
    I have lost 30 lbs since starting my diet but now i have hit a wall. No matter what I do
    I have been on 800 calorie diet for a while now and I am used to it. But it's frustrating
    Thanks

You're eating too few calories for having an active job.
    Please try one thing, only change what you eat up to 1300 a day for 1 months, see what happens.
    Good luck

Thanks for replying...
    I would love to eat more calories but I am worried about gaining the weight back.
    It's a fight with me and my weight every day. As soon as i eat more I gain few pounds back and
    end up going back to my reg. calories.

Health above aesthetics.
    This is one thing I had to accept and embrace after 10 years of an eating disorder.
    You may gain back 2-5 lbs in the first week of upping your calories, but your body will love you for it, no longer will it store your fat as energy because you're eating so few calories, it'll re-learn to burn at a nice normal rate. Gaining 5-10lbs back to only lose it again in that month means nothing if it's setting you up to lose weight steadily again for the rest of the year! =]
    I used to eat 100-800 calories a day, sometimes nothing, and I ended up OBESE haha.
    So yeah, my body was a system of fat storing. I upped my calories, included weight training and BAM lost 26lbs so far!
  • AidaBa
    Options
    Hi Tony...
    Thanks
    i have never gone that low in my cals, but try a load day of higher cals, maybe up to 1200, just for one day, then back to your 'normal' 800cals, dont weight yourself for a week and see if it kickstarts your weightloss again....

Thanks for your advice I might try that. I was thinking about doing that last week but wasn't sure if it would work.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AidaBa
    Options
    Health above aesthetics.
    This is one thing I had to accept and embrace after 10 years of an eating disorder.
    You may gain back 2-5 lbs in the first week of upping your calories, but your body will love you for it, no longer will it store your fat as energy because you're eating so few calories, it'll re-learn to burn at a nice normal rate. Gaining 5-10lbs back to only lose it again in that month means nothing if it's setting you up to lose weight steadily again for the rest of the year! =]
    I used to eat 100-800 calories a day, sometimes nothing, and I ended up OBESE haha.
    So yeah, my body was a system of fat storing. I upped my calories, included weight training and BAM lost 26lbs so far!

That sounds just like me. There are days when i consume less than 800 calories.
    In the past I didn't care about calories and now that's all I think about.
    I see calories at every corner.
    I don't want any regrets later so I am asking for advice from people who been there before.
    Maybe i am just looking to lose weight to quickly but I shouldn't.
    Thanks a lot for all the information you have provided
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bumping...
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i've been a client of tony's for a year and a 1/2 now -- i forget how spoiled i am to have him answer all of these questions in person! y'all should check out his website from his profile. if you saw my before picture, you'd be high-fiving him right now, that's for sure. he skypes with some of his clients, too.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says we should take Raspberry Ketones.
    What will this do? and does it work?

;)