Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like your advice if yu dont mind :) I was 380 pounds 6 years ago....as of a year ago i got down to 198 pounds. I did this by eating 1800 cals with zig zagging and not eating any exercise cals. About a year ago i started to struggle more (still had 20 pounds to get to goal) and found i could only lose weight by eating 1200-1500 cals (mostly 1200 cals) and not eating exercise cals again (i was working out about 4 times a week) I did lose the 20 pounds but got in a binge cycle and gained it back. Since then i have pretty much tried everything....including eating at 15% from TDEE where i maintained....and even when i dropped another couple hundred cals a day i still maintained. The only point where i seem to lose is when eating around 1500 cals and with my exercise levels (around 7 hours per week) i am hungry at that level. Also as a side note...i have had a DEXA scan and they recommended eating 1900-2000 cals but i didnt find i was losing there either...my body fat is 26.7% and i am 143 pounds is lean mass (and they eatimated at least 10 pounds of that was excess skin) would you suggest I persist with 1500 cals or would you recommend higher (say 1900-2000) and jsut persist long term?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I assume the suggestion is made because a liquid may provide less of a feeling of fullness than solid food, hence one receives less bang for the dietary buck.
    A televised experiment using soldiers showed the ones who had their meal liquidised into a soup were more full for longer than those eating the same food as a solid meal.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hey y’all,

First of all, thank you for your overwhelming responses to this thread. I did not expect so many responses and am sorry I will not be able to address everyone’s questions in a timely manner. I do want to help everyone, but also work fulltime and have to balance things out. This will be my last post in this thread for now. I may open a new one later. I will try to address as many posts as I can in this post.

1. If you want to be my friend on MFP, I can’t accept any more friends. I’m only friends with my personal clients on this site because I use it to provide feedback, etc. to them. If you want to stay in touch, please find me on Facebook. Search for “foodandfitness” or go to the link in my profile on MFP.

2. To those who say it’s unethical, stupid, or wrong for me to give out free advice on the internet: I truly believe that everyone deserves to have their own private sessions with a local RD. But this is reality and not everyone can. I’m giving my time and resources to answer some general questions and the people with medical issues, should contact their doctor and see a local RD. If you are really concerned with the ethical issue of me giving out general advice, then please feel free to alert the authorities of my wrongdoing.

3. To those that disagree with my advice: don’t take it. I don’t have time to link every scientific journal article to my recommendations, so you’ll just have to take my word for it, or not.

4. For people who have plateaued in their weight loss:
    a. Make sure you are weighing and measuring your food
    b. Make sure you are not overestimating your calorie burn with exercise
    c. Make sure you are choosing the right foods and values in MFP
    d. Make sure you are consistent with calories on weekdays and weekends
    e. If all things are dialed in, you need to cut calories slightly and monitor progress.

5. For people worried about “starvation mode”
    a. Just about every behavioral nutrition study I’ve looked into suggests that people underestimate their caloric intake. You are probably eating more than you think you are.
    b. You may indeed be eating a small amount of calories on most days, but it is possible that every few days you eat those calories back because you are not consistent.
    c. Calories, serving sizes, and BMR are all estimations. These are good starting points but adjustments need to be made once you are in progress.
    d. All of these things listed above and more, are considerations I make when I tell someone who has plateaued to go ahead and cut calories. It’s ok to cut calories considering that you are not losing LBM at an excessive rate, suffering in your workouts, or developing nutrition deficiencies.

6. I am not going to look into supplement “X” for weight loss and see if it’s good for you to take. There are no supplements available that directly oxidize adipose tissue, aka, burn fat. Caffeine can decrease your appetite, protein powder is convenient, creatine can help you get extra reps, and a multivitamin is good for people who don’t get enough vitamins. That’s all I’ll say about supplements. Good planning, consistency, and application of your nutrition goals is how you lose weight- not pills or potions.

7. If you have a medical issue related to diabetes, etc. go see a doctor and get a RD. Seriously, if you have a serious medical issue you need individual serious medical attention.

8. There are no such things as “clean” foods or individual “healthy foods.” Some foods offer more micronutrients, less calories, etc. than others. You have to look at the context of the entire day or week to determine if someone is eating a healthy diet. A donut every now and then, or sugar, or salt, saturated fats, etc. is not bad for you. If you eat donuts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and don’t get the right amount of macro and micronutrients- then you have a problem.

9. There are no special foods that cause extra fat loss in certain areas of the body. There is no exercise that can spot reduce fat. There are no special foods that burn fat. A calorie deficit and exercise program will help you reduce body fat all over.

10. If you need help putting together an exercise plan, hire a personal trainer or buy a book on exercise and put together a program. If you need a lot of individual help with your diet, consider hiring a RD.

Thank you for all of your questions. Sorry about the brevity of my answers. If you have concerns or doubts about my answers, please see #3 in this post. I simply don't have time to debate. Please remember that RDs are licensed nutrition experts and consider using one if you have further questions about your diet.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Hey and thanks for the time and reply. I just had a quick question. I see an RD for ED stuff but she is out of the office right now. I was wondering if you think it is truly better to eat 6 times a day every 2-3 hours? As I said I am trying to recover from an ED and just want to do what is best for my body :)
  • wildside79
    Options
    LOL - I was watching this thread and wondering how long you were gonna make it.

Good post, and great job trying to help people. I'm not a fan of the "everyone is different" excuse, and think you just laid out a great plan for 90+% of the population.
    Hey y’all,

First of all, thank you for your overwhelming responses to this thread. I did not expect so many responses and am sorry I will not be able to address everyone’s questions in a timely manner. I do want to help everyone, but also work fulltime and have to balance things out. This will be my last post in this thread for now. I may open a new one later. I will try to address as many posts as I can in this post.

1. If you want to be my friend on MFP, I can’t accept any more friends. I’m only friends with my personal clients on this site because I use it to provide feedback, etc. to them. If you want to stay in touch, please find me on Facebook. Search for “foodandfitness” or go to the link in my profile on MFP.

2. To those who say it’s unethical, stupid, or wrong for me to give out free advice on the internet: I truly believe that everyone deserves to have their own private sessions with a local RD. But this is reality and not everyone can. I’m giving my time and resources to answer some general questions and the people with medical issues, should contact their doctor and see a local RD. If you are really concerned with the ethical issue of me giving out general advice, then please feel free to alert the authorities of my wrongdoing.

3. To those that disagree with my advice: don’t take it. I don’t have time to link every scientific journal article to my recommendations, so you’ll just have to take my word for it, or not.

4. For people who have plateaued in their weight loss:
    a. Make sure you are weighing and measuring your food
    b. Make sure you are not overestimating your calorie burn with exercise
    c. Make sure you are choosing the right foods and values in MFP
    d. Make sure you are consistent with calories on weekdays and weekends
    e. If all things are dialed in, you need to cut calories slightly and monitor progress.

5. For people worried about “starvation mode”
    a. Just about every behavioral nutrition study I’ve looked into suggests that people underestimate their caloric intake. You are probably eating more than you think you are.
    b. You may indeed be eating a small amount of calories on most days, but it is possible that every few days you eat those calories back because you are not consistent.
    c. Calories, serving sizes, and BMR are all estimations. These are good starting points but adjustments need to be made once you are in progress.
    d. All of these things listed above and more, are considerations I make when I tell someone who has plateaued to go ahead and cut calories. It’s ok to cut calories considering that you are not losing LBM at an excessive rate, suffering in your workouts, or developing nutrition deficiencies.

6. I am not going to look into supplement “X” for weight loss and see if it’s good for you to take. There are no supplements available that directly oxidize adipose tissue, aka, burn fat. Caffeine can decrease your appetite, protein powder is convenient, creatine can help you get extra reps, and a multivitamin is good for people who don’t get enough vitamins. That’s all I’ll say about supplements. Good planning, consistency, and application of your nutrition goals is how you lose weight- not pills or potions.

7. If you have a medical issue related to diabetes, etc. go see a doctor and get a RD. Seriously, if you have a serious medical issue you need individual serious medical attention.

8. There are no such things as “clean” foods or individual “healthy foods.” Some foods offer more micronutrients, less calories, etc. than others. You have to look at the context of the entire day or week to determine if someone is eating a healthy diet. A donut every now and then, or sugar, or salt, saturated fats, etc. is not bad for you. If you eat donuts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and don’t get the right amount of macro and micronutrients- then you have a problem.

9. There are no special foods that cause extra fat loss in certain areas of the body. There is no exercise that can spot reduce fat. There are no special foods that burn fat. A calorie deficit and exercise program will help you reduce body fat all over.

10. If you need help putting together an exercise plan, hire a personal trainer or buy a book on exercise and put together a program. If you need a lot of individual help with your diet, consider hiring a RD.

Thank you for all of your questions. Sorry about the brevity of my answers. If you have concerns or doubts about my answers, please see #3 in this post. I simply don't have time to debate. Please remember that RDs are licensed nutrition experts and consider using one if you have further questions about your diet.
  • chantalM613
    chantalM613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chantalM613
    chantalM613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    yup! i've had this and had great success with a super low carb diet (lost over 100 lbs.)... also you might want to ask your doctor about taking metformin. will most likely help you get the weight off. I just started it because it is very hard for me to take off the weight right now.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    FoodandFitness, first time on Internet Forums?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    LOL - I was watching this thread and wondering how long you were gonna make it.

Good post, and great job trying to help people. I'm not a fan of the "everyone is different" excuse, and think you just laid out a great plan for 90+% of the population.
    Hey y’all,

I was wondering the same! Great effort & super all-encompassing answer to as many questions as possible. You get a BIG GOLD MEDAL for trying :flowerforyou:
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    What would a good diet and exercise plan look like for a girl with polycystic ovarian syndrome and a high level of testosterone?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What would a good diet and exercise plan look like for a girl with polycystic ovarian syndrome and a high level of testosterone?
    He has stated that he is no longer taking questions.
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump bump....
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Blync1
    Blync1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bump...thanks!