Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• cathy1678
    Options
    Hey Tony thanx for ur help...i just started taking Safslim 2x a day..im exercising and eating healthy..do u think its a good supplement to take ..i want alil boost to help get rid of belly fat

Still Waiting for a reply
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi tony-nice to see you here answering questions. I see you went to some great schools! The personal trainer/combo is fantastic.

I have a BS in dietetics but never went on with RD stuff. Most of my work was at health depts and i owned a healthfood store for 9 yrs and most recently have done alot of grantwriting and grant work involving kids.

A quick question- I currently have some serious mass in the upper arm area. extremely small biceps and no triceps. I dont want huge muscles or strength just nice sculpted arms. I build muscle quickly,a serious mesomorph. Common sense to me was not to do any heavy weights till i burned some inches of fat off. So Im doing low weights and lots of reps -Should I wait till my arms measure like three inches or so from my goal before i add heavier weight?
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    BUMP :D
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Being that I know you've probably done at least a moderate amount of reading on bodybuilding.com in the nutrition section (since I've seen you there), I'm going to presume you're also familiar with Alan Aragon's work and probably Lyle McDonald as well.

Assuming this is true, how much of your formal education agrees with the information they provide and additionally, how recent is the information sources that you used to learn from?

I'm specifically asking this because I'll often read info from other RD's that is, for all practical purposes, a bunch of broscience.

I think that A.A. does a great job at providing a practical approach to the science of nutrition. My formal degree gave my less practical info, and more science info. I learned most of the practical stuff during my internship and working.

I think that L.M. is a smart guy, but his overall recommendations teeter on the edge of fad dieting and takes some focus on the overall concept that overall calorie balance is the key.

I cannot speak for other RD's. I try to stay current on the research. I'll browse pubmed, and I also get newsletters from sports nutrition organizations that cite research, and can get me pointed in the right direction.

Did you come accross any info in your school-related studies (not independent reading) that you basically went "yeah this is a bunch of crap"?

I always believe in questioning info and there were a few times I've heard questionable things from professors. But a good research study is a tool that can be analyzed and interpreted differently at times. Never really saw any bad or biased studies that were used as a foundation for any curriculum, if that's what you're asking.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Being that I know you've probably done at least a moderate amount of reading on bodybuilding.com in the nutrition section (since I've seen you there), I'm going to presume you're also familiar with Alan Aragon's work and probably Lyle McDonald as well.

Assuming this is true, how much of your formal education agrees with the information they provide and additionally, how recent is the information sources that you used to learn from?

I'm specifically asking this because I'll often read info from other RD's that is, for all practical purposes, a bunch of broscience.

I think that A.A. does a great job at providing a practical approach to the science of nutrition. My formal degree gave my less practical info, and more science info. I learned most of the practical stuff during my internship and working.

I think that L.M. is a smart guy, but his overall recommendations teeter on the edge of fad dieting and takes some focus on the overall concept that overall calorie balance is the key.

I cannot speak for other RD's. I try to stay current on the research. I'll browse pubmed, and I also get newsletters from sports nutrition organizations that cite research, and can get me pointed in the right direction.

Did you come accross any info in your school-related studies (not independent reading) that you basically went "yeah this is a bunch of crap"?

I always believe in questioning info and there were a few times I've heard questionable things from professors. But a good research study is a tool that can be analyzed and interpreted differently at times. Never really saw any bad or biased studies that were used as a foundation for any curriculum, if that's what you're asking.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks, and GL in this thread.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Thanks Again!!
  • SisterMidnight
    Options
    What can you tell me about 'starvation mode' I have been keeping a food diary and went to the dietician at my health centre who said that you have to be careful about having too few calories, but I'm not so sure. I am going on a program and using mfp, but wanted to 'kick start' my weight loss a bit initially, there's a particular goal I'd like to get down to quickly, and then take my time on the rest...
  • ekaplan1020
    Options
    Bump
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I think my question may have been missed (I really do appreciate you taking your time to answer our questions!)

I have been losing very slow 30 pounds over the last year. I don't eat wheat as I'm allergic and I stay away for wheat replacements as they are high in calories. I'm also trying to get refined/added sugar out of my diet. However, I notice on the days I don't eat sugar my carbs are low about <100 to 120 (max) grams. But I also notice, I lose the most when I have sugar kicked out. Will this low carb hurt me? I still eat plenty of fruits and veggies.

And thank you for the offer, I really appreciate it.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    i see you giving advice to cut calories of 10% on some peoples diets who are already eating very low calories i.e the person on 800 cals what is your take on eating below 1200 cals and people exercising at this amount and not eating back the cals burned do you as dietician believe this to be a healthy way to lose weight

Partly because if someone is consistently eating below their maintenance, then they would still be losing weight. So whatever reason that is, a % based calorie cut will usually do the trick because
    1. calories
    2. BMR
    3. portion sizes
    4. values on the MFP...
    5. etc....

...Are all estimations anyways. Calculations are a good starting point. Relative adjustments do the trick just fine from there.

Thanks
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I am allergic to egg whites, chicken, yeast, most cheese, peanuts, cottage cheese, yogurt (& other items that I would need to go find the paper work for) ! I always have sinus issues and knew I was allergic to something but gosh that was my main sources of protein. What would you suggest now for a daily meal plan, especially breakfast. I work out hard and am lacking in protein! I usally run 4 miles in the morning, do around 40 minutes of lifting in the afternoon and then in the evening I walk around 3 miles with my 3 dogs. I live on a very large farm in Montana so I usually stay very busy. My weight has always been a struggle and right now I am weighing 154 (about what I weighed in my profile pic) and NO I do not eat my exercise cals, some but not all!
    I will send a friend request to stay in touch and I THANK YOU for offering advice!!!

Just reposting this question for Tony. Thank you!!!
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One question - what can I eat to get my metabolism to work?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see a registered dietitian on here.

How about we ask more appropriate questions.

What are your views on insulin sensitivity, and reduction of carbohydrate in the diet?
    Keto? Paleo? Slow carb?

What are your views on intermittent fasting and it's many health benefits?

How do you feel about the studies that recommend low carb to help control hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that are key to control appetite?

I've been studying to becomes a dietitian so I can practice dietetics, and I can tell you that what is healthy, and what dietitians are told are two very different things.

1. Carbohydrate sensitivity is something I only heavily consider for diabetics or people with metabolic disorders. I will say, that some people need to "dial in" their energy preferences in relation to carbs.

2. IF is great if its a personal preference. I do not teach it to my clients unless they naturally fall into an IF pattern of eating.

3. I believe that eating higher protein improve satiation and preserve LBM is the important thing to focus on. Lower carbs just happen to be a result of that b/c carbs have the least physiological importance.

Knowing what insulin does, how it suppresses key appetite/hunger/fullness hormones, I'm going to say that it's a fair assessment that obese people do have a metabolic disorder. The concept that people are obese because are gluttonous pigs is clearly ridiculous. Hormonal urges to binge on the wrong foods is not something that is controllable easily. If someone has 5-10 lbs to lose, sure, some caloric restriction will suffice, however, with the obesity epidemic growing, I think the root cause of the obesity problems can be summed up with ONE word. Carbohydrate.

Carbohydrate control is key for anyone to lose weight. Going about that should revolve around it. Weather it's done through general caloric restriction, or a tailored diet, over feeding on carbohydrate will result in fat gain. There is simply no way around it.

The general rule to fixing something is to look at the extremes. I'll give an example. A tooth brush. If the tooth brush is overly heavy so granny can't lift it to brush her teeth, and is to short so the strong body builder can't get around his massive chest and arms to reach his mouth, clearly something that fixes both ends of the problem spectrum will resolve the problem for everyone in between.

I think carbohydrate / insulin control is that fix for the extremes that will have benefits for everyone with no negative consequences.

You've posed this insulin hypothesis before. I gave you a Kreiger article and you dismissed it. I will post for you here an index of foods that cause insulin responses. Some of the highest insulin responses are from protiens. You obviously have a low carb drum to beat so go ahead. There may be some as yet undiscovered reason why carbs can be an issue for some. But insulin is not it. BTW, you sound like a Taubes follower. Just sayin......
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

PS: Great granny analogy :noway:
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, what is the best excercise for 'pear shape" women? Also, are there any specific foods that should be avoided?
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Tony, I just want to say thank you for being patient and answering most questions.

I agree with some of your advice, some of it not so sure. Some people on MFP automatically attribute a plateau to eating too few calories, so they recommend upping the calories, never netting below BMR. And then more poster add that it worked for them, etc
    From what you are saying here I guess you don't believe on the whole premise of "eat more to weigh less", but if you can elaborate more I think it would be beneficial.

As for me, I was netting 1000 cal/day keeping my carbs low (my BMR is about 1400), and thats how I have lost most of my weight, now I am transitioning into maintenance mode so I have upped my cals to 1400 cal/day, and I am still losing weight, maybe a bit more slowly but still losing, if I can lose 10 more lbs I wouldn't be upset one bit. So my plan is to continue doing what I am doing, I feel great, eating very healthy, exercising lots and feeling good about my choices ;)
  • cathy1678
    Options
    :huh:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I wonder what is the minimum amount of protein should I be consuming. I just recovered from bronchitis & flu but I still can't eat very well & these past few days, my protein intake only averages 60g (I weigh 55.3kg or 121.66 pounds). I've been like this for a week now & I worry that I might lose muscle. I can't lift weights too because the doctor advised me not to do heavy workout as of this time.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony and Thank you for doing this for us. I showed my food log ( diary) from MFP to someone from the gym and i know that i am always under on my 1200 calories for the day. Plus i do a ton of cardio and strength train on the machines and some free weights...anyway, the comment was i have too much sugar and protein in my diet and i need to stop eating all the fruit or i wont lose much weight. I have 30lbs to go.

Except for the calorie deficit i really thought my diet was made of pretty good choices. I would however like to get away from any of the processed food i eat even though its really very little i think. What do you think? My diary is set to open if you can review it.

Thanks so much.

ladyark:

you eat way too little. you are starving. I am shocked you are not in the hospital right now. Keep it up and you will be eventually.

MEET YOUR CALORIE GOAL EVERY DAY

Wow i didnt think i was that bad. I dont feel hungry very often or sick , worndown etc. I will try harder then to meet the 1200 MFP has given me as i dont want to end up sick. But, do i need to eat my exercise calories back....i just dont think i can do that since eating what i log fills me up. Hope to hear an answer when you have time and thanks again.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony and Thank you for doing this for us. I showed my food log ( diary) from MFP to someone from the gym and i know that i am always under on my 1200 calories for the day. Plus i do a ton of cardio and strength train on the machines and some free weights...anyway, the comment was i have too much sugar and protein in my diet and i need to stop eating all the fruit or i wont lose much weight. I have 30lbs to go.

Except for the calorie deficit i really thought my diet was made of pretty good choices. I would however like to get away from any of the processed food i eat even though its really very little i think. What do you think? My diary is set to open if you can review it.

Thanks so much.

ladyark:

you eat way too little. you are starving. I am shocked you are not in the hospital right now. Keep it up and you will be eventually.

MEET YOUR CALORIE GOAL EVERY DAY

Wow i didnt think i was that bad. I dont feel hungry very often or sick , worndown etc. I will try harder then to meet the 1200 MFP has given me as i dont want to end up sick. But, do i need to eat my exercise calories back....i just dont think i can do that since eating what i log fills me up. Hope to hear an answer when you have time and thanks again.

The whole "in a hospital" thing may has been a little overly dramatic but you are not eating enough. That is ok for short periods but not for any length of time. It can cause metabolic issues and foul up your hormones. You are probably doing ok as you seem to have plenty of reserves to handle it for now but as you get leaner, you will need to develop the habits for proper and adequate nutrition. 1000 per day is not gonna cut it at that point.
  • dpompi
    dpompi Posts: 1
    Options
    Approximately a year ago I went through a full hysterectomy will this have an effect on weight loss. I can I speed up my metabolism after a hysterectomy