Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• faithfirst
    faithfirst Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

First off thank you so much for offering to help. My current financial situation (graduate student) doesn't allow for a nutritionist. My question:

Is it bad for me to do the elliptical 6 days a week? I find it eases a lot of stress from work ( I am a therapist and work with children with Autism) and keeps me from binging. I have about 90lbs left to lose.

Thanks so much!
  • LovesDressage
    Options
    Thanks for making your knowledge available to us! Nice to have support for my assertion that I needed to eat 1200 and exercise. My doctor wanted me to eat like 800, which is just starving yourself and depriving yourself of good nutrition. Plus, I have a history of loosing and gaining large amounts of weight, so a doing that would just encourage me to do it again. Not my plan for life!
  • charleston123
    Options
    Thank you for your generous offer! I REALLY need help. I tried Weight Watchers for 3 months. I followed everything but lost nothing! I've been trying MFP for a while now I find it easy but again NO WEIGHT LOSS! My thyroid is fine! I exercise (not enough!) in an aerobic dance class-should be 3mes a week but I usually omnly make it to 2. I am at 1220 calories on MFP. What do you suggest?!!
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Hi Tony.
    First....THANK YOU for offering your help & advice.
    I started at 239 lbs. in Jan. 2009. My husband and I went on a healthy diet and exercise plan, and I lost 56 lbs. in 5 months. I have kept it off (I'm at about 180 right now.), but I still have a long way to go. My goal is 140. My problem is, I have had 3 knee surgeries in the past 2 years, and am still recovering from the last one in Feb. of this year. I am doing well and gaining strength back, but still have quite a bit of swelling when I walk or exercise. My job is a desk job, so I'm sitting all day long. What kinds of exercises are my best bet? And is my diet ok for what I'm trying to accomplish?
    Any advice is welcome. Thanks again.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :smile:
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    thanks for the advise im willing to go with what MFP says but i do want to understand it as well i guess i just need to stick to the plan and learn on the side. thanks again
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Hi Tony, thanks for your help and contribution to science, health, and fitness!

My question is:
    -How many grams of sugar (both fructose and sucrose) do you recommend daily for men and women?
    I've read a lot and have seen Dr. Lustwig's convincing video statements on this topic and he recommends no more than 25g for males, including fruit and twinkies (because we process the sugars in the live the same way).

-What is your opinion on sugar, and how much of it should we be getting?

Thanks in advance, you're doing a super job!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Why do they say don't drink your calories? Is it not the same thing as eating them? If I have a glass of tea that is 80 calories is that not the same as a sandwich at 80 calories? <---made that up just as a example.... Could you explain this please? Thanks!!

I assume the suggestion is made because a liquid may provide less of a feeling of fullness than solid food, hence one receives less bang for the dietary buck.
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    Bump!
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I was just wondering if you had any tips for burning thigh fat. I am 4'11 & weigh 129 pounds currently. All of my fat goes to my thighs instead of belly & it is really hard for me to fit in shorts or jeans. Any exercises or foods to help?

Thanks,
    Lyndsay
  • willowbrooke1
    willowbrooke1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bumparoo :glasses:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the offer. I know you've received several questions so far, but i'm hoping mine wont get missed :happy:

i'm 40, 5'5 and currently 192 pounds (started off at 224). Since January I've followed a moderate calorie deficit (30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat) and the main focus of my exercise program has been strength training (nrol4w and strong lifts) and i also do sprint HIIT 1-2 times a week as well as some easy cardio for 30-45 minutes where I keep my heart rate in the 130-150 range. i also take 1 or 2 days of complete rest. i've lost 30 pounds and 3 pant size but still have about 40 pounds to go until i reach my body fat percentage goal.

i currently have been eating 1750-2000 calories a day (not eating back exercise calories) and i had been progressing quite nicely on my weights but recently i've not only found myself stalling on weights, but on many (especially deadlifts, overhead press and bb rows) i've even had to decrease the weights.

so my question is this, will taking a complete week to deload on the weights and eat at maintenance (2500 calories) help get me back to where i can move past the stalls? my plan is to try that for a week and then the next week get back to eating at a deficit and losing weight.

thanks in advance!

I'm going to enjoy answering this one. Ok...
    1. Try reducing the amount of sets and reps (aka, volume) you do and focus on strength training. Heavy tension resistance is the best way to preserve LBM on a calorie cut. You can also increase your rest a bit more between sets to get your strength back. Try lifting weights closer in the 5-10 rep range which is on the higher end of strength and the lower end of hypertrophy training.

2. I don't recommend deloading on weights during a calorie cut. If you truly feel you have been overreaching in the gym, then yes, a week of maintenance calories with reduced intensity and frequency of training may help you feel better. Also, make sure you are getting adequate sleep.

3. Consider that there is some inevitable strength and muscle loss with any calorie cut. You could try creating a smaller deficit from your maintenance calories to prevent some of this.

Either way, let me know what you end up doing.

thanks for answering!!!

this week i'm going ahread with eating at maintenance (2500 glorious calories whooohooo) and will try dropping my sets to 3*5 instead of 5*5.

Thanks again!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Tony -

Im just wondering if your burnt out with all of these questions?

Thanks!
  • springbreakmission
    springbreakmission Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bump...:-)