Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• adnol_2
    adnol_2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on reese cups and diet coke. I go for a while without eating them and then the cravings are so bad that I have to have them. It is as bad as an alcoholic. I quit smoking and found that much easier. I have 110 + lbs to lose.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Well as an ordinary gal with no medical training what-so-ever, I have to agree with ^ this. I would never consider taking medical advice from an anonymous person on a free forum.

He's not anonymous. Look at his profile page. And yes, people should get tailored advice from a professional. Still, at least he's informed.

Incidentally, he hasn't said anything surprising to people who read a lot about nutrition and fitness.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Not now
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LiZzie1917
    Options
    Hi Tony. I have been doing good sticking to Paleo and IF hybrid. Last night I had a cheat day and had some sweet potato fries and burger on lettuce wrap. Took most of the cheese off but some remained. Walked in extreme heat to earn the calories off. Went into AFib last night. I'm thinking either dairy, high fat or even hamburger can be the reason cause last time I went into AFib was another high dairy/high fat day. Have you heard of dietary sensitivities causing AFib? I'm able to convert back each time by next morning on just hawthorn, scotch broom, Leonurus, chamomile and lavender tea. Thank goodness since I'm allergic to the heart meds and don't touch them.
  • LiZzie1917
    Options
    What does bump mean?
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I do NOT think he is answering ANY more questions. hmmmm, what happened???
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm guessing he had no ideas of how many questions he'd get!! And he probably has a regular life and can only spend so much time here.
  • alvinder_kaur
    Options
    bump!!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony. I have been doing good sticking to Paleo and IF hybrid. Last night I had a cheat day and had some sweet potato fries and burger on lettuce wrap. Took most of the cheese off but some remained. Walked in extreme heat to earn the calories off. Went into AFib last night. I'm thinking either dairy, high fat or even hamburger can be the reason cause last time I went into AFib was another high dairy/high fat day. Have you heard of dietary sensitivities causing AFib? I'm able to convert back each time by next morning on just hawthorn, scotch broom, Leonurus, chamomile and lavender tea. Thank goodness since I'm allergic to the heart meds and don't touch them.

Maybe it was the heat and lost electrolytes.
  • mishy28
    mishy28 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Tony. So nice to see your willing to answer questions. I'm a super busy stay-at-home mom of three little children. Just 5 years ago ( before any kids) I weighed 127 lbs and was super fit. Now I'm 183, tired all the time and very unhappy. My question is...I rely heavily on sugar. I might be addicted, and can't live without my daily fix of sugary coffe drinks from Starbucks and dunkin. Any tips on how I can quit sugar for good? Thanks so much for your time.

Michelle
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for offering advise.

I am so confused on how many calories I should at in a day. I am 5feet tall and weigh 157 pounds. My goal is to be 130 which is a healthy range for me.

I had a medgem bmr test done that indicated my resting bmr was 1250.

I work in an elementary school so def. not a sedentary job more light active I would say

In addition, I workout one hour 4-5 days a week.. I burn 500-400 cals per workout(Heart rate monitor) I run, elliptical, spin bike, walk

What are your thoughts on calories and do you think people should eat back exercise calories. I've done so much research and on calories and now I'm so confused..I've been stalled since December with no luck of losing.

Thanks in advance,
    Dawn
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    Hi Tony, my name is chad and i am new here and new to being in control and eating responsibly. i think this is a great site and really feel after a few days on here that i can do this. BUT i am confused by some discrepancies between my BMR as calculate here and my BMR as calculated everywhere else (2400vs2800) ALSO this is the most confusing part. myfitpal tells me i should eat 2070 cals/day to lose 2 pounds a week. but that doesnt fit the data. if i understand correct it will require me to remove 7000 cals per week, or 1000 a day from my BMR so then if my BMR (according to this site) is2470 then i would be targeting 1470????right? BUT what myfitpal tells me to do is 2070?????? which is only 400 less? this is confusing. so i tried redoing the calcs and goals to make sure i entered everything in correct. and same values came out. ???? then i confirmed my BMR outside the site and found it to be 2870.....shoould i trust this site or just put in my own value?

my instincts tell me to set my daily gaols at 1870, which comes from 2870 less 1000.

please help me figure out why im confused.

wanting to do the right thing

chad
  • GidgetW
    GidgetW Posts: 23
    Options
    Why do they say don't drink your calories? Is it not the same thing as eating them? If I have a glass of tea that is 80 calories is that not the same as a sandwich at 80 calories? <---made that up just as a example.... Could you explain this please? Thanks!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Why do they say don't drink your calories? Is it not the same thing as eating them? If I have a glass of tea that is 80 calories is that not the same as a sandwich at 80 calories? <---made that up just as a example.... Could you explain this please? Thanks!!

I think the reason for this is because liquid calories will not keep you full as long as solid calories, in general.
  • NurseJodies
    NurseJodies Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started working out on the elliptical last month and have worked up to 1- 1.5 hours/day on it 4-5 x week. So far it's really helped my weightloss and I'm committed to it.

However, today I joined a gym and the trainer instructed me to limit my cardio to 25 minutes on the days I lift. Something about burning muscle instead of fat if I train for longer than 90 minutes. I'm afraid that limiting the cardio will slow my weightloss. Can I eat something and do cardio later the same day? Or is there really something to this 90 minute limit?
  • cheyenuff
    cheyenuff Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, my name is chad and i am new here and new to being in control and eating responsibly. i think this is a great site and really feel after a few days on here that i can do this. BUT i am confused by some discrepancies between my BMR as calculate here and my BMR as calculated everywhere else (2400vs2800) ALSO this is the most confusing part. myfitpal tells me i should eat 2070 cals/day to lose 2 pounds a week. but that doesnt fit the data. if i understand correct it will require me to remove 7000 cals per week, or 1000 a day from my BMR so then if my BMR (according to this site) is2470 then i would be targeting 1470????right? BUT what myfitpal tells me to do is 2070?????? which is only 400 less? this is confusing. so i tried redoing the calcs and goals to make sure i entered everything in correct. and same values came out. ???? then i confirmed my BMR outside the site and found it to be 2870.....shoould i trust this site or just put in my own value?

my instincts tell me to set my daily gaols at 1870, which comes from 2870 less 1000.

please help me figure out why im confused.

wanting to do the right thing

chad

Yeah, not Tony, but you're confusing BMR with TDEE. You need to either go with what MFP tells you, including eating exercise calories (MFP's 2070 gives you the deficit to lose 2lb/wk WITHOUT exercise) OR you need to figure out your TDEE and subtract 10-20% from that to create your deficit. Since you just started I don't understand why you're trying to figure out your own numbers rather than just let MFP generate them for you and see how it goes? But either way, you should see some success.

If you don't want to use MFP's numbers, this will help you with TDEE:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12