The word 'Veggie'

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've seen countless threads lamenting the use of "hubby," "preggers," and "vacay" but this is the first time I have ever seen one about "veggie." I always thought of it as a neutral word you use with kids. It sounds more playful than "vegetables."

Yes, these are others.........

Preggers and Vacay.

Say Pregnant or Vacation.
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    Love the food but I do find the word to be childish ... others on that list include "bro," "vacay," and "bestie." Please add me to the "hubby" and "preggers" pet peeve lists too.

Oh ... and people saying "noo-kyoo-lar" instead of "nuclear" ... "should of" and "would of" and "axing me a question ... "
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    LOL. This thread is hilarious. I'm a vegan and have no problem with the word.
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I say "veggies" most of the time. Though I feel veggies and vegetables are interchangeable. It's my food, I'm pretty sure it doesn't care what I call it.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've never heard 'vacay'. But then I'm English - we say 'hols'! :bigsmile:
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I always say Veg or Veggies, I don's see a problem with it but I never use the term bangers for sausages.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lz50xijZ4v1qgosfeo1_250.gif

tumblr_lz50xijZ4v1qgosfeo2_250.gif

tumblr_lz50xijZ4v1qgosfeo3_250.gif

tumblr_lz50xijZ4v1qgosfeo4_250.gif
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    So you must hate the movie Veggie Tales.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "slacks".

I like to veg out in my slacks. :tongue:

do you all pronounce the second 'e' or skip over it like a hamster on speed?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I always thought of it as a neutral word you use with kids. It sounds more playful than "vegetables."

I blame VeggieTales. Just like Sesame Street is responsible for 'nom'. American kids TV is at the root of all this corruption! :wink:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't appreciate the shortened version of the word VEGETABLES to VEGGIES. It is demeaning, disrespectful and disgusting. I agree with her

OMG this is so funny! Dies laughing LOL

*dead*
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always thought of it as a neutral word you use with kids. It sounds more playful than "vegetables."

I blame VeggieTales. Just like Sesame Street is responsible for 'nom'. American kids TV is at the root of all this corruption! :wink:

I taught my three year old brother to go "om nom nom" when eating. It's hilarious.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hillbillies prefer to be called "sons of the soil" but that's not gonna happen either.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Now that I got my first laugh of the day, I think I'll go talk with the hubby. I want to see what he wants for brekky, maybe some veggies? Nom nom nom! Oh yeah, we need to plan our vacay anyway.

ETA: Actually, I do not use those words. I just find it hilarious that it would offend anyone, if I did.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    omg me too!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I would rather see the word "veggie" than see one more person typing in text-speak. Seriously, are people so lazy that they cannot be bothered to type out a whole word?
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to go eat a carrot.:huh:
    Well played, OP, well played.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm done wiping tears of laughter from my eyes LOL...

On a sociological note I think people who dislike abbreviations and other similar alternatives of words feel uncomfortable by them because such words really do indicate the language is changing...and thus by implication the society. We do live in times of great social change and this can be unsettling to many people. However whatever your distaste with words such as 'veggie', you must realize that languages change over time. You can't stop progress. You are within your rights to feel disgusted and demeaned by it, but oh we'll, life goes on. I mean, really. Do you think we speak English the way it was spoken 2,000 years ago? Do you think people 2,000 years from now will speak English the way we speak it today? No, of course not.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    this is cray cray.
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a dues paying member of Tubers United, I'm against the use of the word vegetables altogether. It groups flowers buds, seeds, leaves, buds, stems, shoots, tubers, roots, bulbs, fruits, legumes, and others together, which isn't fair to any one of them and causes people to make sweeping generalizations and perpetuates prejudice. It's hard for me to believe that in this day and age that people would use such a negative and broadly inclusive word so freely.

Shame on all of you.